Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I hope season 6 is gonna feature more Action Man and Colonel Gentleman. They're both hosed up in the best of ways (speaking of which, bring back Action Johnny).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X_Toad posted:

Gathers wants to take down the Guild, permanently.

I really don't know that he does. He just wants to have the upper hand. The idea is that the O.S.I. keeps the guild from getting to Sphinx levels.

I mean, if he wanted to take down the guild completely, he could have just bombed the hell out of the nightclub. They just keep them under control so there's more "antagonizing super scientists" and less "take over the world" poo poo going on.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
Seeing mixed opinions about this finale is kind of what I expected, as I don't really know what to think myself. I guess the only thing I know for sure is that it didn't feel like a finale. In fact, it felt kind of disjointed, almost unconnected to the rest of what has been going on (although it is obviously connected to what was going on).

A lot of what the season seemed to be building up to just wasn't addressed. There was nothing about the photo the Monarch found/Vendata, nor was there any reference to the Revenge Society. Dr. Venture's accident was mostly glossed over, and the boys barely reacted though they may never have believed he was actually dead. I'm pretty sure there are many things I'm forgetting, like most of the OSI plots, but that's the point. This feels like a mid season hiatus rather than a season ending.

I'll need to watch it again, perhaps this time with less expectation and see how it feels.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think your problem was that you thought everything would get addressed. I mean how long was the Orb mention and then resolved? Pretty sure it was more than one season before it got resolved. And not every season ending had everything tied up.

Also expecting VB to answer every question is a mistake. You got caught up with all the small details too much. Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I've watched VB since I was 17 when it started and I'm used to how they tell their stories etc.

I thought it was a good finale. I mean how much can you fit in 22 minutes.

We manage to finally see Gary confront the Moppets, (well one of them) and how long did that take? That was since the ending of season 3 with 24 dying. We got to see half of the Council of 13's identities and that's been the longest since they were ever revealed.

Also it does help they said this was more like a mid season ending more so than a finale. Season 6 is more so.

And whoever said the whole season was weak,you are crazy. It was great. Granted it was more about Hank growing up more than Dean, I felt that was appropriate. Season 4 was more of Dean's growth more so than Hank.

Honestly I hope they never explain about that picture. I rather it never be explained because it would defeat the purpose of why Monarch hates Rusty. Not everything has to be explained. Leave it up to other people to come up with their own conclusions.

Even if it's like the silly theory of them being half brothers (that is so CLICHE)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 22, 2013

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Highly enjoyed the finale.

Went into it expecting Hank & Dean to have antagonistic relationships with their God-parents but got totally swerved by both of them helping Action Man & Col. Gentleman to grow and move on from the sad state their lives had become.

Was sad to see Gary lose his independence though but every Venture finale needs a sacrifice I guess (And poor Entmann).

Saw the Monarch's new/old family home as a riff on Lemony Snickett's 'Unfortunate Events' to go with the God-Parent scenario for Hank + Dean myself...may just be sperging though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

As soon as I saw it, I thought Paper Street house from Fight Club. Especially with the industrial plant behind it.

This was my first thought also.

IUG posted:

I'm going to have to rewatch that scene, but I wonder (just for comedy's sake) if the Revenge Society is squatting in The Monarch's old house. Beginning of the next season he walks in to see them there and tries to kick them out.

I can see this too. These guys don't seem to show things for no reason; that little post-credit Revenge Society scene has to be a setup for something, even if it isn't terribly important to the overall plot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I can see this too. These guys don't seem to show things for no reason; that little post-credit Revenge Society scene has to be a setup for something, even if it isn't terribly important to the overall plot.

Well it's probably the same place that Phantom Limb kidnapped Billy to, in order to make him preform the surgery. But who knows if it was The Monarch's place all along, or a bit of a retcon if it actually happens.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Shindragon posted:

And whoever said the whole season was weak,you are crazy. It was great. Granted it was more about Hank growing up more than Dean, I felt that was appropriate. Season 4 was more of Dean's growth more so than Hank.

Is this a reference to the Zeus episode where Doc describes Dean as "believing this stuff" while Hank "fights against it"? I loved that scene because I thought it was funny/dark that Doc seemed to get it backwards. I really thought season 4 was solid Hank growth(hair growing, making a friend, getting laid), and this season was more about Dean(even if he was pretty angry and directionless). Given that, I'm curious as to how you see the opposite.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

IUG posted:

Well it's probably the same place that Phantom Limb kidnapped Billy to, in order to make him preform the surgery. But who knows if it was The Monarch's place all along, or a bit of a retcon if it actually happens.

I had totally forgotten about that. Yeah, could be that, could be both.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ReidRansom posted:

I had totally forgotten about that. Yeah, could be that, could be both.

The idea of monarch and dr mrs the monarch having to share the same house with phantom limb and the revenge society is absolutely hilarious to me.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I didn't enjoy the finale too much, mostly because I didn't know it was the finale until right before it aired. That being said, it does feel like a much weaker episode than the rest of the season (though I think the rest of the season has been outstanding). I did really like how it ended, and all of the unresolved plots they introduced in season 5 will just make the wait for 6 that much harder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing that's been overlooked how much this is a bookend for "What Color..."

Specifically, when The Monarch tries his hardest to arch Rusty he ends up helping him without knowing it.

He was so happy with himself with the antidote butterflies, thinking he thwarted Dr. Venture when he really helped him out by curing the mutations.

Then, in this episode, he thinks he has broken Dr. Venture (and he kind of did), but the end result is Rusty drawing his family closer instead of pushing them away.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The idea of monarch and dr mrs the monarch having to share the same house with phantom limb and the revenge society is absolutely hilarious to me.

And that's why Killenger is there! :neckbeard:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ReidRansom posted:

And that's why Killenger is there! :neckbeard:

I smell a sitcom!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

- Hank and Dean maybe being closer next season? This one is a guess. I miss them doing things together.
I don't know about that one, I think Dean has been shaken out of his funk and will start living a little more, but he and Hank are really different now. Hank is more extroverted while Dean is more introverted, I think he will try getting out of the compound now, meet other people. That secret had been really burdening him it seems, now it looks like he might start enjoying life.

Winklebottom posted:

I hope season 6 is gonna feature more Action Man and Colonel Gentleman. They're both hosed up in the best of ways (speaking of which, bring back Action Johnny).
And apparently, they might get better. I wonder if this is a reference to the (relatively?) recent phenomenom that saw retired people rooming together for their autumn years.

Also, I can't believe that Jonas managed to gently caress-up the life of another one of his 'friends' : after learning that he locked up Entmann in a nuclear shelter for three decades, it now appears that he had Rodney hooked up on powerful drugs, an addiction he had a hard time to kick. What will Gentleman's horrible story be?

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know that he does. He just wants to have the upper hand. The idea is that the O.S.I. keeps the guild from getting to Sphinx levels.

I mean, if he wanted to take down the guild completely, he could have just bombed the hell out of the nightclub. They just keep them under control so there's more "antagonizing super scientists" and less "take over the world" poo poo going on.
Hunter is like the village idiot beating a hornet nest with a stick. The Guild keeps itself under check. The only thing Hunter is going to do is piss them off with his little games. It's like Brock said, they piss those guys off, they're in for a world of hurt. I still don't understand why he's going along with all this.

Shindragon posted:

I think your problem was that you thought everything would get addressed. I mean how long was the Orb mention and then resolved? Pretty sure it was more than one season before it got resolved. And not every season ending had everything tied up.
Six episodes between the ORB introduction and the resolution. Find a better example, they exist.

Shindragon posted:

We manage to finally see Gary confront the Moppets, (well one of them) and how long did that take? That was since the ending of season 3 with 24 dying. We got to see half of the Council of 13's identities and that's been the longest since they were ever revealed.
Confront him with what? He only used the other henchmen's dislike of the moppets to extract himself from a bad situation! Tim-Tom didn't confess to anything and said until the end that he didn't do anything. And I'm still convinced they actually didn't. Gary may have done a mistake here, taking out only one of the Moppets. Kevin will be out for his blood.

Shindragon posted:

What. Season 4 was Hank's season, that's why some people were excited at the prospect of a similar journey for Dean in this season. Apparently, we're not done yet.

wizardstick posted:

Went into it expecting Hank & Dean to have antagonistic relationships with their God-parents but got totally swerved by both of them helping Action Man & Col. Gentleman to grow and move on from the sad state their lives had become.

Was sad to see Gary lose his independence though but every Venture finale needs a sacrifice I guess (And poor Entmann).
I wonder if the authors are going somewhere with that ability Dean seems to have to make people confide in him. 24 told him about his daddy issues and an old carreer dream, he got HELPeR to agree to an operation to fix his body, he was the one who talked to Hatred during his relapse in the theater and now Colonel Gentleman had someone to express his regrets to.

As for Gary, I guess that it's sort-of for the best. It's like Hatred said, you give them a cause and they go at it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Also, I can't believe that Jonas managed to gently caress-up the life of another one of his 'friends' : after learning that he locked up Entmann in a nuclear shelter for three decades, it now appears that he had Rodney hooked up on powerful drugs, an addiction he had a hard time to kick. What will Gentleman's horrible story be?

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if in the coming season(s) we learn that Jonas Sr. is ultimately the real bad guy in this whole thing and is responsible in one way or another for turning many of the supervillains into what they are, as in the case of Vendata (and possibly by extension The Monarch). The guy is basically a total dick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ReidRansom posted:

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if in the coming season(s) we learn that Jonas Sr. is ultimately the real bad guy in this whole thing and is responsible in one way or another for turning many of the supervillains into what they are, as in the case of Vendata (and possibly by extension The Monarch). The guy is basically a total dick.

On the other hand, he fought this man

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
What makes you think that Jonas Venture isn't responsible for him too?

Also, I'm sticking to my theory that the war between the Monarch and the Ventures will escalate, but that it will actually be a war between their number two, with the Venture side carrying the grudge this time. The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend will play the part of the helpless hostages who will need rescuing.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Humongoloid was the first of Team Venture to go? :raise:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Team Venture does not include Jonas. He was the boss, after all. He was above them.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I wouldn't read to much into it, it could easily mean that he is just the first to die since Team Venture broke up after Jonas' death. Remember ORB.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They forgot Major Tom...

^^Perhaps

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 22, 2013

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

On the other hand, he fought this man

Bad guys can fight bad guys :colbert:

Also this:

X_Toad posted:

What makes you think that Jonas Venture isn't responsible for him too?

And wasn't Jonas responsible for trapping Brainulo in the past, thus leading to his villainy?

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Shindragon posted:

I think your problem was that you thought everything would get addressed.

Umm, not quite. I've been watching this show for far too long to expect them to address or resolve everything. It's almost safer to assume that they won't address it, which was the case this time.

My point wasn't that they didn't wrap everything up in a little bow, but that it felt more (to me) like they were actively pushing a couple of the points this time, more so that introducing a new story thread. There perhaps was an element of me assuming too much, but especially the after credits part of the second to last episode felt like it was about to kick something off in the finale.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Watching the season finale and notice it's resemblance to this other season finale.

Mad Men

Venture Bros

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Burning_Monk posted:

Watching the season finale and notice it's resemblance to this other season finale.

Mad Men

Venture Bros

Aside from the the whole issue of production times I think you and everyone else is grasping at straws.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

e X posted:

I wouldn't read to much into it, it could easily mean that he is just the first to die since Team Venture broke up after Jonas' death. Remember ORB.

I'm ignoring their having an established grave defecation tradition because I want this to work damnit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Did the Monarch dart the cab driver?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Burning_Monk posted:

Mad Men

Venture Bros

Not even close. There is a huge production difference between the two shows. Venture Bros does not operate on a South Park schedule. It takes them months to get the animation back from Korea and approve everything.

Plus, they are 70's Bowery/East Village geeks. That comes through in the animation.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 22, 2013

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

Nope! I think my opinion is better than you think it is. :)

But really, this season feels like a bunch of halfway-fun filler episodes. Sorta like a lame version of season 4's first half.
It's not that there weren't some nice bits. VB is a few steps above most other programs even on their worst showings.

I just found the content to be rather light and the tone of the whole season was just off for me. Probably because I despise the "arc" that Dean was going through and found him to be a distraction. Kept wanting to slap his face until his ears bled.

I'm hoping that Season 5.2 (Six, whatever) will be tighter - this whole season felt like it was all setup and little payout.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I don't follow Mad Men but am a bit familiar with it. Can someone explain the significance of the house?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Leospeare posted:

I don't follow Mad Men but am a bit familiar with it. Can someone explain the significance of the house?

It's the house the main character (Don Draper) grew up in. No one but him knew about it (other than the audience), even his kids didn't know until the final shot of the season.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
There were only two episodes I really loved this season (OSI I Love You and Bot Meets Bot). A lot of the humor just didn't land for me, and there was so many new settings and characters introduced that I felt we missed out on interactions between established characters like The Triad or even just Hank and Dean. I will say, though, the 4th season is my absolute favorite season of anything on TV, so I probably had unrealistic expectations of what this season would be like.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I honestly think that knowing there's going to be a season 6 changed the style a bit.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think the Monarch epilogue echoing the Mad Men finale is just a coincidence - a Hell of a coincidence, with the two most auteur-driven shows on television ending their seasons just weeks apart with such strikingly similar shots - but a coincidence all the same. Unless they rushed that couple seconds of animation in-house, of course, but I feel like they would have said something at Comic-Con if that were the case.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Or else Mad Men copied Venture Bros and just happened to get their episode out the door first.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I did not enjoy the single and somewhat minor Orpheus appearance this season, he's my favorite character. I like the rest of the triad too, and I'm sure they'll get their due screen time in season 6.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I loved how easy it was for Gary to win over Vatred. How much of that is his personality and how much of it is due to whatever conditioning the O.S.I. gives its agents? When he described himself as a weapon who needed a target it sounded like it could have been either/or.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Republicanus posted:

I just found the content to be rather light and the tone of the whole season was just off for me. Probably because I despise the "arc" that Dean was going through and found him to be a distraction. Kept wanting to slap his face until his ears bled.
I'm the opposite. I found the O.S.I. episodes distracting from the main characters, and I really would have liked a deeper look into Dean's arc. Right now, I feel cheated on that particular point, although I'm expecting season 6 to go some places nice for that particular arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I actually think that the house looks more like the Fight Club house. It is what I thought of first. It even has the horrible industrial background going for it.