Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A couple of months ago there was a bible category and someone ended up giving the answer "What is 'Am I my brother's keeper?'?". I've always wondered if they would have accepted that without the "what is" since it's already in the form of a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mennoknight posted:

As the contestant coordinators told us - we don't care what question you use, or even if it makes sense...as long as it's a question,

Ha, you could just go full Yossarian on them: "Who is Spain? Why is Hitler?"

The guy who kept saying "Where is such-and-such?" was driving me crazy, because the answers to which he would provide those questions didn't make sense when phrased as "where".

"Where is Poland?" "Marie Curie was born in this country." See, doesn't work.

Although I guess that applies to most Q&A phrasings on Jeopardy, for some reason this type particularly bothered me.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
For Final Jeopardy, they even tell you beforehand how your answer should start ("who were," "what is," etc.) and you write it down while you're making your wager.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Whoever didn't make the $200 clue be Ned Flanders is a stupidhead

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

ElwoodCuse posted:

Whoever didn't make the $200 clue be Ned Flanders is a stupidhead

Yeah, I was very disappointed when there was no Ned mention.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What does it say about me when the clue was "Barbara Gordon" and I said "Oracle" instead of "Batgirl"?

I imagine they would've said it was wrong and had to come back and award it to me.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Colonial Air Force posted:

What does it say about me when the clue was "Barbara Gordon" and I said "Oracle" instead of "Batgirl"?

I imagine they would've said it was wrong and had to come back and award it to me.

Just that you're a certain age, frankly. She's only been Batgirl again recently and Killing Joke was in the eighties.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In comic book continuity, perhaps. In other media--movies, cartoons, video games, etc.--Barbara Gordon is almost always Batgirl. The Arkham Asylum games may be the only notable exceptions.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
I can't believe this dummy is gonna take our boy down. Jeopardy is a fickle lover.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mennoknight posted:

As the contestant coordinators told us - we don't care what question you use, or even if it makes sense...as long as it's a question,

Posting to confirm that it's been the rule for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bClXPNwLeCw&t=511s

Although according to Merv Griffin, there was a rule in the very, very beginning that they insisted on grammatically correct phrasing. Like only accepting "When does the action in Buck Rogers take place?" for a clue of "In the 25th Century."

They dropped that rule in a drat hurry. Mind you, this was back when Merv was still staging this as a comedy game.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 12, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cordyceps posted:

I can't believe this dummy is gonna take our boy down. Jeopardy is a fickle lover.

The king is dead!!!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone cares, Ben did a AMA on Reddit about his run on the show:

https://pay.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i4g6i/hi_im_ben_i_won_seven_and_a_half_games_on/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Man, he and Ken Jennings should do standup together, or form some kind of comedy duo.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I recall seeing a celebrity Jeopardy where the contestant always added the question part at the end. "Spain, where is that" and "Winston Churchill, who's that?"

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

haveblue posted:

A couple of months ago there was a bible category and someone ended up giving the answer "What is 'Am I my brother's keeper?'?". I've always wondered if they would have accepted that without the "what is" since it's already in the form of a question.

Yes. It usually catches Alex off guard for a second, but I've seen it a bunch and if the question is already in the form of a question, its an acceptable response.

And this has probably been asked, but I kept a cable subscription for nearly two years basically just to watch Jeopardy, since we can get everything else we like from other places. I can't justify the cost for one show anymore, is there anyplace online that will take my money to let me watch this show?

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I can't justify the cost for one show anymore, is there anyplace online that will take my money to let me watch this show?

If you're in the USA, you should be able to get it over an antenna on one of the local news stations.

Myst Hat fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 16, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Myst Hat posted:

If you're in the USA, you should be able to get it over an antenna on the local CBS station.

It's ABC here, not CBS. But yeah, it should be on basic cable.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That loving Winston Churchill answer

edit: good grief, how do you come up with the Paris to Dakar Rally over the Tour de France? Or think that it takes 94 hours to run a marathon.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 18, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

zakharov posted:

That loving Winston Churchill answer

edit: good grief, how do you come up with the Paris to Dakar Rally over the Tour de France? Or think that it takes 94 hours to run a marathon.

Was just coming here to say this. Holy poo poo the contestants on this episode were bad.

Also forgot the comedy answer of "Ironman".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought everyone would get that because it was so easy, and yet not a single on of them got it.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
I think "marathon" might be my favourite FJ answer of all time. Which marathon? Who cares!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Goddamnit, I auditioned with that John guy. This week's FJs have all been cakewalks. When oh when will you call?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
"Maiden voidage"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
They start calling people who auditioned about the next season starting in August, right?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Apollodorus posted:

They start calling people who auditioned about the next season starting in August, right?

It's a rolling process. They'll call if and when they feel like it. Just relax and try to forget the audition ever happened.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cordyceps posted:

I think "marathon" might be my favourite FJ answer of all time. Which marathon? Who cares!
My favourite is still the girl in the college one who answered "Himmler" to a question whose answer was "Schindler".

I mean, you can't really get further from the right answer there.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

HookShot posted:

My favourite is still the girl in the college one who answered "Himmler" to a question whose answer was "Schindler".

...okay, that's way better.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HookShot posted:

And the clue was about a Jewish organization naming him like Man of the Century or something similar.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
Today's contestants were uniformly terrible.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I can't watch this anymore. This is just painful. :negative:

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

It was fitting that the answer to today's FJ was "A Confederacy of Dunces."

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
No Jeopardy! today due to Royal Baby. In the US.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Nerdfest X posted:

On Alex Trebek's birthday? THIS WILL NOT STAND

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nerdfest X posted:

code:
   WHAT IS
 THIS BULLSHIT

$TEXAS

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

zakharov posted:

It's a rolling process. They'll call if and when they feel like it. Just relax and try to forget the audition ever happened.

Huh, okay. They told us August, but I'm not sure I could even fly out to LA if they did call.

Still, I kicked rear end at the audition. It's not something I plan on forgetting, regardless of whether I get on TV again as a result!

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Apollodorus posted:

Huh, okay. They told us August, but I'm not sure I could even fly out to LA if they did call.

Still, I kicked rear end at the audition. It's not something I plan on forgetting, regardless of whether I get on TV again as a result!

They start in August, but they'll be taking people from this group of auditions over the next 18 months.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
As expected, Alan didn't last past today. He opened up by twitching and mugging like crazy, and, once again, failed to answer in the form of the question.

Alex sounded pissed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Did they say that guy is a "freeloader"?

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Preloader, though I thought they said that originally, too.

I actually went to college with Patrick a few years ago. If I remember right, his roommate had a great habit of pissing in the dorm hallway. I'm looking forward to seeing if that's one of his stories with Alex this week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

I thought this too and had to Google if that is a real job title. When I got no results, I came here and found my answer!