Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'll get some pictures up soon, but yeah, it looks like plumbers tape and the pipe is really not accessible without tearing out some wall.

Literally the pipe opening is smaller than the shower arm's threading, which makes me think it just won't go in. But I'll try to get actual measurements and pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mercury Ballistic posted:

When I bought my house, the bank redid the kitchen with granite. It looks good, but the opening for the oven/range is oversized. There is about 1.5" extra on one side of the range and maybe 1/3" on the other. I hate having cooking juices and whatnot fall down there and get gross. Is there a simple cover that can be near the gas burners and cover the gap for looks and to prevent stuff falling through the crack?

Also, to this: there is a handy plastic insert that goes between the stovetop and the counter. It's glorious. Uh this is out of stock, but we found a similar thing at BB&B: http://www.amazon.com/PPR-Direct-Marketing-Counter-Spill/dp/B001EZP6IG

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
In my apartment, the ceiling fans have chains that hang down and you pull them to turn on the fan/change the speed. Is there any way to rig it up such that I can jump straight to a desired speed or at least see where it's at? I'm guessing the whole mechanism is some sort of circular winch, but I'm not even sure how that works.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xibanya posted:

In my apartment, the ceiling fans have chains that hang down and you pull them to turn on the fan/change the speed. Is there any way to rig it up such that I can jump straight to a desired speed or at least see where it's at? I'm guessing the whole mechanism is some sort of circular winch, but I'm not even sure how that works.

HD sells several fan/light controllers. Some of them have an LCD that shows speed, or a thermostat to set speed by temp. Some have a button for each fan speed. When I installed one, it seemed like a universal kit, but it did require dropping the fan to put a small control box inside the fan mount.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Xibanya posted:

I've seen wall switches with built-in sliders with click stops corresponding to the speeds of the ceiling fan. My parents have them installed in several rooms since they're not tall enough to reach the pull chains given the 10' ceiling.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

If you pull to turn them on, just know that it's 'speed loop' of sorts. Off-hi-med-lo. Two pulls from off is always medium. One pull will decrease the speed, three will raise it, unless you get to off, but then you know where you are in the loop anyway.

As the prior poster said, you can replace the wall switch with one that has speed selection as long as the switch on the wall controls the power to the fan motor only if there are lights.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

pseudonordic posted:

I've seen wall switches with built-in sliders with click stops corresponding to the speeds of the ceiling fan. My parents have them installed in several rooms since they're not tall enough to reach the pull chains given the 10' ceiling.

Your parents could always install fans with downrods. In fact most manufacturers recommend a fan height of 7-8' from the floor for the fan to be most effective.

Xibanya, those add-on fan controllers like others have mentioned are pretty cool. Some even have :krad: features like remote controls so you don't need to even get off your rear end to change the speed. However, you'd better check your lease agreement before you go modifying the electric.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

kid sinister posted:

Your parents could always install fans with downrods. In fact most manufacturers recommend a fan height of 7-8' from the floor for the fan to be most effective.

It hasn't bothered them for the last 15 years, but they may get the itch to lower them. Who knows??

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Not sure if this warranted it's own thread or not. In our house we have this upstairs "storage room." It's about 8x8, roughly, with a small door on one side to access. The door itself is about 3x3 and is a few feet off the ground so you have to climb into it. It has rough wooden flooring.

I've thought about making this some kind of lounge/gaming area, with pillows and a TV on one end, maybe some low shelves with books, etc. Maybe a shag carpet.

The problem is two-fold: One, the door, like I said, is only about 3x3, so nothing huge can go inside. No couches, no big TVs, no big chairs. It is also just opposite the stairs, so nothing extremely long can go inside either.

Any ideas for what I could do with it, and furniture that I could fit inside? Thanks.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bean bag chairs/couch?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

the posted:

Not sure if this warranted it's own thread or not. In our house we have this upstairs "storage room." It's about 8x8, roughly, with a small door on one side to access. The door itself is about 3x3 and is a few feet off the ground so you have to climb into it. It has rough wooden flooring.

I've thought about making this some kind of lounge/gaming area, with pillows and a TV on one end, maybe some low shelves with books, etc. Maybe a shag carpet.

The problem is two-fold: One, the door, like I said, is only about 3x3, so nothing huge can go inside. No couches, no big TVs, no big chairs. It is also just opposite the stairs, so nothing extremely long can go inside either.

Any ideas for what I could do with it, and furniture that I could fit inside? Thanks.

You can fit big furniture through a 3x3 door, it just has to be assembled inside that room. You're looking at college-level furniture. Basically, things you can assemble in that room: inflatable chairs, board and cement block shelves, etc. Maybe some giant pillows?

Keep in mind, storage rooms aren't usually temperature controlled and rarely have electricity beyond an overhead light.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

the posted:

Futon! You need a Futon. If you get one with a wooden frame you could probably work it in there and then you'd have a couch/bed. If you get a nice matress topper it could even be a pretty comfy couch/bed.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

the posted:

Put a new door full size door in.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I just moved in to an apartment that has an old (i.e. yellow-was-in old) dishwasher. It hasn't been used in at least eight years, and it doesn't seem to get water. We tried running it to clean it, and it got hot and made some noises, but no water. The valve under the sink that leads to it is on. Where should I start trying to figure out how to fix this thing?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

hooah posted:

My wife and I just moved in to an apartment that has an old (i.e. yellow-was-in old) dishwasher. It hasn't been used in at least eight years, and it doesn't seem to get water. We tried running it to clean it, and it got hot and made some noises, but no water. The valve under the sink that leads to it is on. Where should I start trying to figure out how to fix this thing?

If it has gone unused (and also the age alone) would suggest that the seals have dried out and cracked and connecting water to this unit would only serve to flood your kitchen.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

the posted:

Unless you and all your friends are hobbits, you should be concerned about escapability in case of fire.

ShadowStalker posted:

Put a new door full size door in.

Or just do that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

the posted:

Drape curtains from the center of the ceiling out to the walls, cover the floor in gaudy pillows from TJ Maxx and Homegoods, and make yourself an opium den. But don't actually smoke in there because

canyoneer posted:

Unless you and all your friends are hobbits, you should be concerned about escapability in case of fire.
and even if you and your friends are hobbits it will be a death trap. Aside from the fire risk, electronics will make it even more unbearably hot than your average attic room. I can't imagine code allowing you to use a room with a door like that as an occupied space, anyway.

Alternately, figure out how to get a grand piano in there and enjoy your new take on the ship in a bottle.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

the posted:

If you shell out the money for a LoveSac, you can cram through some very tight spaces and they're very comfortable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

My wife and I just moved in to an apartment that has an old (i.e. yellow-was-in old) dishwasher.

Do you mean harvest gold? Because if it's harvest gold it's so old it needs a new rubber everything, and none of those parts are available anymore because it's ancient in dishwasher terms.

Maybe you can find a nice avacado refrigerator to put it next to in the scrap yard.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Motronic posted:

Do you mean harvest gold? Because if it's harvest gold it's so old it needs a new rubber everything, and none of those parts are available anymore because it's ancient in dishwasher terms.

Maybe you can find a nice avacado refrigerator to put it next to in the scrap yard.

Maybe. It's so old it says General Electric rather than GE. It, the stove/range, and the fridge all probably date to when the house was built in the 70s. They all appear to be the same vintage and yellow look, at least. Maybe I can convince my landlord (wife's great uncle) to replace at least what doesn't work. The grey area is that we aren't paying any rent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hooah posted:

Maybe. It's so old it says General Electric rather than GE. It, the stove/range, and the fridge all probably date to when the house was built in the 70s. They all appear to be the same vintage and yellow look, at least. Maybe I can convince my landlord (wife's great uncle) to replace at least what doesn't work. The grey area is that we aren't paying any rent.

If you want to avoid the awkwardness, dishwashers range from ~$200 for the Slumlords' Special to $500ish for pretty nice ones. That's cheaper than rent :haw:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

canyoneer posted:

If you want to avoid the awkwardness, dishwashers range from ~$200 for the Slumlords' Special to $500ish for pretty nice ones. That's cheaper than rent :haw:

Check the big box stores (hd lowes menards best buy sears) for discontinued and scratch and dent. Also the price on those is quite negotiable. At hd I have gotten a 300 dollar trimmer marked 200 and I paid 100. If it has a big cosmetic flaw (big scratch across door or indent) it is you best bet for lowest price.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Tool question. Which tool has more versatility- a dremel tool, or an angle grinder? I'm asking because I need something to cut the metal clips off of a mirror (they're rusted to hell and their spring is broken), but if I'm going to buy a new tool I'd like to be able to use it for other projects, as well.

Also- is the Kreg Jig as good as it sounds? I'll be constructing a simple table, and it looks like a decent thing to have.

EDIT: Thanks, guys! :hfive:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 27, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

melon cat posted:

Tool question. Which tool has more versatility- a dremel tool, or an angle grinder? I'm asking because I need something to cut the metal clips off of a mirror (they're rusted to hell and their spring is broken), but if I'm going to buy a new tool I'd like to be able to use it for other projects, as well.

Also- is the Kreg Jig as good as it sounds? I'll be constructing a simple table, and it looks like a decent thing to have.

Sometimes you need a claw hammer. Sometimes a sledge. Which one you use more will depend what kind of work you do most often.

(The $15 harbor freight 4.5" angle grinder is way sufficient for occasional use. Get that and a nicer Dremel-style tool)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 26, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
With regards to tools, I live near a couple places that rent out tools (Home Depot, small independents) and they are surprisingly cheap to just rent a tool for a weekend. Definitely an option if it's something you need for a job but are not sure about how much use you'll get out of it down the road. And of course if you live near someplace that rents em.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
edit: nvm

hayden. fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 26, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

melon cat posted:

Yes, absolutely. I bought one years ago and it gets regular use.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

hayden. posted:

I want to make an endless rope workout machine. Essentially making (a more compact version of) this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7060003-0-large.jpg

The big wheel (piece number 5) will be hooked up to a resistance trainer that you normally use for bicycles. The question is, how do I keep the rope in place against the wheel (#5) without slipping? I guess I could cover it in sharp thumbtack-like prongs to grip the rope, but it seems like there must be a better idea.

Would using a drum instead of a wheel and wrapping the rope around it a few times before it feeds back to being pulled work? I don't know how tightly that holds, and I want several hundred pounds of resistance.

The image above is from a patent application which says this, but I don't know what it's getting at:

Use one way pulleys that will only rotate in the desired direction at top and bottom. Space them so that the rope can't just slip off them between the drive and tensioning pulley.

Either that or use cam cleats at the top and bottom of the rope input/output to keep the tension around the rope tight. Of course, using something like cam cleats might increase the wear on the rope due to the friction, even when going the desired directions.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I bought some blinds to go in the windows of my new house. I only noticed when I started to put them up that the inside edges of the window frames are curved, so it's tough to mount the bracket that the blinds go in. Is there an easy way to deal with this?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
If I'm looking to put an electric motor on a skateboard, would I be barking up the wrong tree trying to find a tiny gasoline generator for it? If so, would on-board generators be unfeasible in general?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So you're trying to build a hybrid skateboard?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Hybrid would be the general term, but to be more accurate it would be gasoline-electric, since the gas motor would only power the electric motor and not the wheels.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
At that scale, it's generally far more efficient to do one or the other. The losses of turning gasoline into mechanical energy into electricity then back into mechanical energy tend make it a bit much.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
What about other forms of power generation? I know there are fuel cells that exist for this scale but apparently they aren't commercially available in the US. If I can't use combustion engines, is there any way I can still use some sort of refillable power source?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some pretty neat quick tips from Lowes.

http://lowesfixinsix.tumblr.com/

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm looking for a tool, that would hold up a shelf so I can nail a couple of nails through a beam on both sides of it. I'm only one person, and if I had a third hand that'd be great.

Any ideas?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

I'm looking for a tool, that would hold up a shelf so I can nail a couple of nails through a beam on both sides of it. I'm only one person, and if I had a third hand that'd be great.

Any ideas?

Assuming you are making an H, just tack or clamp some cleats. Them set your shelf, shim for level, and unless this is a big shelf you may want to use screws.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Assuming you are making an H, just tack or clamp some cleats. Them set your shelf, shim for level, and unless this is a big shelf you may want to use screws.

Thanks, it's a 14" long by 8" deep shelf (2" tall) so I (hopefully) think I'll be OK with nails.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Screw a piece of 2x4 (or other scrap) to set it on to take the weight off while you work. Be creative with bungees or lean something heavy against it to hold it in place.

Or (the obvious)- ask a neighbor to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

Thanks, it's a 14" long by 8" deep shelf (2" tall) so I (hopefully) think I'll be OK with nails.

Are you displaying your bowling ball collection or your hot wheels? Don't want your shelf to sag and fail.