Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

effectual posted:

Why's everyone hate on the Stallone Dredd anyway? It doesn't have the 3 seashells but it does have Cursed Earth Pizza, and THE LAW. Also that kickass ABC robot.

Despite being visually closer to the comics the Stallone Dredd missed the thematic elements and atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

etalian posted:

Despite being visually closer to the comics the Stallone Dredd missed the thematic elements and atmosphere.

Even Stallone was aware of this, there's an interview somewhere where he's flabbergasted that they made all these super convincing cyberpunk dystopian sets that you only see in the movie for like ten seconds.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I still like it and it's a well made movie - maybe not as close to the comics as this Dredd but there is room for both.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cream_Filling posted:

There was some speculation from the director, etc., that if they got a trilogy, the sequel would be some version of the democracy storyline, maybe with a little cursed earth, and the third would be Dredd vs. Death.
A Cursed Earth storyline for a sequel could be an excellent idea. It would need less of a budget but could retain the strong characterisation set up in the original. The Judge Minty fanfilm did an amazing job of telling a story in this setting, and extending that into an extended road movie would be appropriate for the source material.

Come on guys, it could be done on the cheap but still be good :ohdear:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kegluneq posted:

Come on guys, it could be done on the cheap but still be good :ohdear:

Most of the budget would probably be spent on a lawyer to preemtively make an airtight defense against the inevitable mcDonalds lawsuit.

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

Vintersorg posted:

I still like it and it's a well made movie - maybe not as close to the comics as this Dredd but there is room for both.

I still remember seeing Stallone Dredd in theaters as a kid and being in awe of how cool Megacity-1 and the ABC Warbot looked.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Noticed something a bit odd about the logo for the local credit union today:

:raise:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Even Stallone was aware of this, there's an interview somewhere where he's flabbergasted that they made all these super convincing cyberpunk dystopian sets that you only see in the movie for like ten seconds.

Yeah, Stallone has actually apologised for his Dredd movie. Everything looked so good, nobody realised they were making a mess.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If Dredd was like a modern Assault on Precinct 13, or Escape from New York. Then the sequel can be a modern day Mad Max II.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All Dredd crossovers are canon and in real time, hence him now being a 60something dude who's survived ghost judges, zombie apocalypses, Batman and Batman villains, Aliens, Predators, McDonalds, all the worst poo poo the universe has to offer yet still keeps on trucking giving no fucks.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Forget the psychic undead foreign dimensions and concentrate on what's interesting: he's just like Dredd. Just as unrelenting and absolute in his brand of Law, just as consistent in dispensing it. He even has fans both in the City and in the Justice Department (because you got to admit, the man makes sense when you think about it).

There's part of me that's convinced Florida is only one more crazy day away from adopting his, ah, unique interpretation of crime prevention.

Anyway, said it before and I'll say it again - I *need* to see the "gaze into the face of FEAR" scene on the big screen. In IMAX. In 3D.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Anyway, said it before and I'll say it again - I *need* to see the "gaze into the face of FEAR" scene on the big screen. In IMAX. In 3D.

So long as it's immediately followed up with this:

That'd be a great use of 3D, actually, showing that shot from Judge Fears POV.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

All Dredd crossovers are canon and in real time, hence him now being a 60something dude who's survived ghost judges, zombie apocalypses, Batman and Batman villains, Aliens, Predators, McDonalds, all the worst poo poo the universe has to offer yet still keeps on trucking giving no fucks.

Dredd's in his 70s now, though that's probably 65-equivalent or thereabouts with future medicine and bionics. He also gives many fucks, but he tends to make stands on issues then set it aside the rest of the time.

For the few people who do not know what the "gaze into the face of Fear" scene is, let me fill you in.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If you're going to Judge Death, but you intend to turn it into some grim and gritty 'believable' take on the concept, then just don't do Judge Death.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, having the majority of the world be like in the first movie but having Judge Death be exactly the same as he is in the comics would be awesome.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Better make both versions then.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you do a Cursed Earth movie, you can do the Judge Child quest. And then have his GRIM PROPHECY relate directly to the Dark Judge incursion (movie 3) instead of how it actually turned out. Although that's way too fan-servicing to actually work.

Judge Death can be done with the same tone as the first if he's presented as both Jungian nightmare and alien superfiend, but never defined concretely as either. Only Psi Judges see him personified, but everybody sees and suffers his influence. Goddamnit, I really want that movie. It would be Judge Dredd vs a more subtle John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

If Dredd was like a modern Assault on Precinct 13, or Escape from New York. Then the sequel can be a modern day Mad Max II.

Yeah it's a similar point from the great Red Letter Media review on the film, Dredd had a pretty straight forward plot similar to the John Carpenter movies.

Which sets it apart from the earlier film which had cloning, judge Dredd getting betrayed, a random block war, a vast secret conspiracy and even a short scene in the Cursed Earth.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't the acknowledged problem that they filmed a bunch of cool scenes with little regard for how they fit together? I seem to remember reading an article to that effect, but it was a long time ago.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Basically every single comic book movie suffers from this problem where they want to pack in every little thing that catches their eye from like 30+ years of comic book history plus then their own new stuff and end up with a jumbled mess with like 3-4 bad guys and a horribly convoluted plot. Usually the only thing that can save a movei is if it's the first one, because then they have the obligatory origin story to at least guide things.

Dredd is impressive in that it's not an origin story, yet they exercised immense restraint in not bringing back every single memorable character from the comic and instead focusing on just a few and letting it me a movie first.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Thank god. I dislike origin stories because they tend to take a long time to get going and then as soon as they do the screenwriters often seem to be at a loss about how to wrap things up and leave it open for a sequel. It's a lot to go through for a little bit of interesting stuff. I really enjoyed Iron Man and X-Men First Class but I can't think of too many other comic or fantasy/scifi movies that did origin stories very well.

I loved Pacific Rim in part because it gets right to the action and fits in a brief backstory at the same time. No half hour spent getting to know our proh ta gonist and his troubles before we get to the good bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

If you do a Cursed Earth movie, you can do the Judge Child quest. And then have his GRIM PROPHECY relate directly to the Dark Judge incursion (movie 3) instead of how it actually turned out. Although that's way too fan-servicing to actually work.

And would get nitpicked to death, as well. The cinema in Peach Trees was showing a film about the Judge Child, so it was fictional or had already happened.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

moths posted:

Surely the mission to Megacity 2 to deliver that antidote would possibly make more sense? I think there's more to be had from a Cursed Earth adventure than an interstellar mission though. For one, you could use it to more thoroughly introduce the concept of mutants, which exist in the film version but aren't really seen.

The problem with a Judge Death storyline is that it does require a rather more Noirish, gothic MC-1 than what we see in the film. Death is going to look pretty silly stalking through bright sunshine. He could just operate at night I guess, but still.

haakman
May 5, 2011
I'd like to see the Apocalypse War. Get Orlok involved and start the commotion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

The problem with a Judge Death storyline is that it does require a rather more Noirish, gothic MC-1 than what we see in the film. Death is going to look pretty silly stalking through bright sunshine. He could just operate at night I guess, but still.

In case you hadn't noticed, 90% of the first movie was set in dark claustrophobic settings with no natural daylight.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Kegluneq posted:

Surely the mission to Megacity 2 to deliver that antidote would possibly make more sense? I think there's more to be had from a Cursed Earth adventure than an interstellar mission though. For one, you could use it to more thoroughly introduce the concept of mutants, which exist in the film version but aren't really seen.

The Cursed Earth was a monster-of-the-week type storyline, I don't know how well that would translate to a movie. There's no central villain and it's more a loose set of encounters.

quote:

In Necropolis the Sisters summon an eternal night, no reason they couldn't have something similar following Death around in a movie.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

In case you hadn't noticed, 90% of the first movie was set in dark claustrophobic settings with no natural daylight.
None of it was especially gothic or noirish, though - more 'frantic nightclub'. Obviously Death carried his gothic around with him most of the time anyway (especially when the Sisters were brought in), but it would still be a jarring visual transition.

quote:

The Cursed Earth was a monster-of-the-week type storyline, I don't know how well that would translate to a movie. There's no central villain and it's more a loose set of encounters.
It wouldn't have to literally be that storyline - a villain could certainly be introduced - and road movies are a fairly well recognised cinematic genre...

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
It might bring back memories of the Stallone Dredd but imagine a proper Angel family getting picked off over the course of the film.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the main problem of the first film is a tonal issue. It suffers from the 90's syndrome of sanitizing everything for "children", which usually involved adding a lot of slapstick humor to break any tension buildup that lasted more than 3 minutes. It's amusing to watch in retrospect but it's really what made the movie suck. No matter how ironically funny and awesome the sidekick was the movie would be much better tonally without him, for example.

Compare it with the new movie where everything, the entire satire is played with a straight face. Even the comically absurd to the point of being awesome stuff like the dude with the wig are presented as just part of the background.

The original movie had some really good visuals and ideas buried beneath an avalanche of mistakes.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 23, 2013

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

It might bring back memories of the Stallone Dredd but imagine a proper Angel family getting picked off over the course of the film.
A depiction of the Angel Gang done right would be pretty terrifying. With how gritty the dystopia was done in Dredd with a sense of realism already, imagine what they could do with it. I could see Ron Perlman playing the father of the family too! :D

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.

moths posted:

Judge Death can be done with the same tone as the first if he's presented as both Jungian nightmare and alien superfiend, but never defined concretely as either. Only Psi Judges see him personified, but everybody sees and suffers his influence. Goddamnit, I really want that movie. It would be Judge Dredd vs a more subtle John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

This is the kind of thing that you Dredd comic fans need to be saying if you want to convince people that a Dredd vs. Death movie could work. All the pictures of Death make him look like a dweebie zombie wearing bat wings that hisses like Cobra Commander and I mentally check out whenever I see them. But a psionic rot in the population and inexplicable death cults? That I'd watch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anyone who thinks it's more palatable to replace an over-the-top evil monster of a villain with some kind of psychic ghost that corrupts people's souls should watch Smallville and learn just how wrong they are.

Or better yet, just take my word for it and spare yourself the suffering.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
For a next sequel, an adaptation of the democracy storyline would be best I think. Not too much reliance on special effects, a clear narrative, etc.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Cream_Filling posted:

For a next sequel, an adaptation of the democracy storyline would be best I think. Not too much reliance on special effects, a clear narrative, etc.
You would want the sequel to be about the citizens of Mega-City One overthrowing the Judges' system of government rather than having a story about the cursed earth or just simply having a clear cut villain really loving poo poo up?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devour posted:

You would want the sequel to be about the citizens of Mega-City One overthrowing the Judges' system of government rather than having a story about the cursed earth or just simply having a clear cut villain really loving poo poo up?

You mean the judges effectively suppressing a pro-democracy movement using real-life anti-demonstrator tactics and then brutally killing pro-democracy terrorists? Yes.

Garland also wants to do it, he's said so in interviews.

See: http://io9.com/5945062/why-the-second-dredd-movie-could-be-even-darker

quote:

Have you prepped anything for a Dredd sequel? Are you interested in telling the block wars or any of the political weirdness, like the Mayor being a serial killer?

If I got a chance to work on the sequel, and if there was a sequel (and there are a lot of variables in that). But, from my point of view, the politics is a lot of what I want to get into. There's a lot of stuff that's implied in the first film that you could really explore a lot more of in the second. Dredd is part of a police state, he's a fascist. The subversives are sometimes the enemy in the comic books — there's something really interesting about pro-democracy terrorists. Where the bad guys are the people fighting for democracy. Of course they're not the bad guys, because you should be fighting for democracy. I would like to explore that.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 23, 2013

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DieLaughing posted:

This is the kind of thing that you Dredd comic fans need to be saying if you want to convince people that a Dredd vs. Death movie could work. All the pictures of Death make him look like a dweebie zombie wearing bat wings that hisses like Cobra Commander and I mentally check out whenever I see them. But a psionic rot in the population and inexplicable death cults? That I'd watch.

Basically End of Days, but not awful. Vincent Cassel as Judge Death.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cream_Filling posted:

You mean the judges effectively suppressing a pro-democracy movement using real-life anti-demonstrator tactics and then brutally killing pro-democracy terrorists? Yes.

That sounds much better than zombie judges, to be honest.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to this, but I think having a story such as this would be a little bit of a dichotomy, no? The reason we watch a film about Judge Dredd is too see him kick rear end, rather than to watch a narrative portraying him as a brutal tyrant/fascist even though we already know that he is one, right?

I don't know, I'd don't mind a story with political overtones so long as it doesn't dominate it. Maybe it's just me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There are so many different ways to go, so my rule is now "whatever feels good."

Dredd 3D played the satire straight, which I think is why I like it so much.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

So, the first America book, then?

Only if they can get that last shot of the Dredd statue towering over the broken Statue of Liberty.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress Karl Urban needs to get back into this role.

• Locked thread