Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arson
Dec 9, 2003

SPF 45 a day keeps the oncologist away.

Breaky posted:

I think that 9 days without an update is hardly uncommunicative.

It is when you just started selling your product to the public and began your business in full swing. If there was ever a time to begin talking it's now. You don't call a press conference, walk up to the podium, get some mic feedback, and just walk away.

"Hey guys, I have this thing and, uh....well, whatever, later mangs".

edit: I spent a few hours today reading up on past posts and things leading up to the release of the alpha for Cube World. Like a lot of people I had never heard of the game before. Apparently Wollay often goes months at a time without any communication or updates at all. For people having followed this game for some time this is all par for the course. That's a shame, really, because I think it's always better to communicate with your audience. We'll see how far his pixels alone will get Cube World down the road. Good luck, Wollay. Truly.

Arson fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I don't really see the need for constant twitter updates, is the game not working? Or is the game just so boring that you think constant tweets about future updates is going to make the game more fun before the updates come out? It doesn't seem like wollay has anything to say about cube world right now, should he just keep tweeting "stay tuned for the next update" over and over?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I blame Wollay for this thread sucking so bad.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I get that people are being very enthusiastic about the sheer possibilities of what this game might become in the future -- heck, I certainly am too, and I would love to see more regular updates from Wollay, but I also feel that the release right now is more akin to a sneak peek or a milestone, him saying "This is how far we've gotten!" rather than a "We're getting close to release, expect much more soon!" that I get the impression some are reading it as. On the other hand, I also understand the argument that some are making that being more social-media savvy might both placate people feeling a bit restless and bring further interest, thus ensuring the game continues to pay for itself.

Essentially though, I agree with whomever it was who said earlier that what we paid for is pre-purchase (at a lowered fee compared to whatever he's planning, at that) and that access to the alpha is merely a bonus. Some games do releases early and often -- like Minecraft, but not everyone develops like that and it's possible he's not comfortable claiming features that aren't yet working or implemented, hence the silence. After all, the things listed on his site as future content right now are things planned, not things promised to make it into the game with certainty.

I know someone mentioned the Minecraft (modding) community as being quite toxic -- and I agree, but I think that is in part a result of modding for that game not always being entirely straightforward and most certainly not effort-free on either end of the development chain, resulting in conflicts between mods, many different kind of API:s being developed concurrently etc. I also think perhaps Notch and Mojang promises too much at times which also results in people getting annoyed. It is quite possible Wollay is trying to avoid this, hence the trend towards silence.

I'm just advocating a bit of patience, is all. Either way, I personally feel this thread could make with more discussion about what people would like to see added or changed rather than a panel discussion about the importance of social media or the true nature of alphas. On the other hand, this is the exact type of argumentation that pops up in pretty much every MMO thread on this forum I've read whenever there's a lapse of new information, so I guess we should just get used to it. I also guess I'm not helping much with this post. :angel:

So... let me try to steer the discussion elsewhere.

Of course, I'd love to see more biomes and I quite agree with everyone who said that a somewhat easier travelling system -- at least between towns, would be fantastic. Also, I'd be excited if more types of dungeons and more complexity was added to the ones there right now. Balance is off at between classes at the moment, but it is an alpha so that is to be expected.

I know Wollay said previously that he's not planning for modding functionality at this point in time, but I personally think that would be a shame not to have in some form, even if limited. Heck, something like file formats that lets you define new biomes or dungeons and other things that you could plop into a sub-folder of the game would make quite a difference, and wouldn't necessarily break the game itself or create conflicts like we see with minecraft mods.

Ok, ok, enough :spergin: :words: from me for now.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Arson posted:

Well I mean it isn't just nice. That's what you do when you call the attention of the gaming world to come forth and buy your product, venture out into your world. It's time to get to work. People care about this stuff.

Wollay wasnt really throwing a huge advertising campaign, I like to think of minecraft as a sort of proof-of-concept interactive world building tool, interacting with procedurarlly generated blocks, I like to think Cube World expands the engine of minecraft to its next inclination, like DOOM to Quake. That is definitely worth 20 dollars to me. And its so bug free, I am really noticing how perfectly needless of a patch this initial release build is.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

international owl day posted:

I don't really see the need for constant twitter updates, is the game not working? Or is the game just so boring that you think constant tweets about future updates is going to make the game more fun before the updates come out? It doesn't seem like wollay has anything to say about cube world right now, should he just keep tweeting "stay tuned for the next update" over and over?

Server certainly doesn't work

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

hitze posted:

Everything except the game is hosed. Is that a huge problem? Not to Wollay apparently, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has a different answer.

I'm afraid Wollay has been murdered by Mojang assassins.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

hitze posted:

His server that he hosts the store on, or the game's multiplayer server? Both seem reasonably fine.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFRqhktLckg

I wonder if the Cube World engine will ever be able to handle this kind of flying device. :sigh:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

His server that he hosts the store on, or the game's multiplayer server? Both seem reasonably fine.

My biggest gripe is that the server only allows one player to join and spawns no mobs at all when run on XP, cause I have a separate PC for running various game servers, and it's still on XP because I didn't feel the need to upgrade. And my PC kinda fries when I try to host and play on it at once, so this makes playing with friends hard. Other then that, I got exactly what I'd think I get.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Kikas posted:

My biggest gripe is that the server only allows one player to join and spawns no mobs at all when run on XP, cause I have a separate PC for running various game servers, and it's still on XP because I didn't feel the need to upgrade. And my PC kinda fries when I try to host and play on it at once, so this makes playing with friends hard. Other then that, I got exactly what I'd think I get.

That's super weird, you don't have any firewalls blocking any of its communication right?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFRqhktLckg

I wonder if the Cube World engine will ever be able to handle this kind of flying device. :sigh:

Man, I forgot how awesome that game was...

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

Nobody sees the need for constant twitter updates, which is why nobody is asking for it. Also, I am not asking for game updates. I'm just asking for communication. Talk to us about how things are going now that you've made tens of thousands of new fans. Tell us about how the DDOS went. Talk about how excited you are that people love your game. Give people a reason to stay interested. Share a thought now and then. Ask for feedback.

Any one of these things is good for your product. I'm just truly at a loss as to why that's an unreasonable desire for so many of you. I've seen lots of games fade into nowhereville because the buzz disappeared. It doesn't have to be this way.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Arson posted:

Nobody sees the need for constant twitter updates, which is why nobody is asking for it. Also, I am not asking for game updates. I'm just asking for communication. Talk to us about how things are going now that you've made tens of thousands of new fans. Tell us about how the DDOS went. Talk about how excited you are that people love your game. Give people a reason to stay interested. Share a thought now and then. Ask for feedback.

Any one of these things is good for your product. I'm just truly at a loss as to why that's an unreasonable desire for so many of you. I've seen lots of games fade into nowhereville because the buzz disappeared. It doesn't have to be this way.

Because the nerds that make video games like this are poo poo when it comes to communicating and marketing. It's not to discredit them, but they're quite horrible at it.

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Because the nerds that make video games like this are poo poo when it comes to communicating and marketing. It's not to discredit them, but they're quite horrible at it.

And hey, that may just be his problem! It just doesn't change my personal desire. So, there we have it.

Arson fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 23, 2013

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Ideally the game should force portals to generate one block away from the first city along the "grid" that currently exists. You should also probably be able to mount land pets without needing the skill and in general it should be easier to get yourself setup such that it isn't a 5 minute walk anywhere to do anything.

Being able to choose to put your levels into boating, hang gliding, pet riding, or any of your offensive skills is pretty cool. At like level 30 you have everything your character "needs" and all of your tools available to you but it's still pretty fun to go out and smash a pyramid or climb a huge rock/tree or clear out a valley and get some levels so your mount is faster, teleport cools down quicker, whatever.

Really all the game needs is more content at this point, which is awesome. It would also help if the server worked better than it did and if exp scaling wasn't broken with 4+ players but those are also pretty minor concerns.

Class balance is a little out of whack. Warriors are useless, trying to melee dps a boss is suicide, water mages do too much damage while also passively healing everyone around the boss and having the game's only burst heal. Fire mage, both warriors, the assassin, and both ranger classes need some love. All of them should be doing a lot more damage than they currently are and should probably get some neat gimmicks or things they can exploit as well.

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

:siren: Client update. :siren:

July 23, 2013
- Added an option to limit the frame rate (see options menu: FPS limit; default 111 fps)
- Ranger ability 'Scout's switftness' doesn't crash on multiplayer servers anymore
- Ranger ability 'Retreat' doesn't increase hang gliding speed anymore
- The crossbow's right mouse button ability now only does damage when charged
- You can now reset the day in inns only between 6:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M.
- Fixed a bug where multiplayer groups received too much XP for missions

A bit underwhelming I suppose but it's a start.

vvv or you could just open up the launcher. This blog post was also just made, detailing what's to come soon.

Obscure Risk fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 23, 2013

ickna
May 19, 2004

Tweet or it didn't happen.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Welp, ranger won't be fun anymore until the skill trees update :(

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

UglyDucklett posted:

Welp, ranger won't be fun anymore until the skill trees update :(

Yep :(

I was having fun bunnyhopping/hang gliding all over the map, its the only thing I was still doing in the game.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

At least with the frame limiter on, my PC no longer sounds like it will explode after I play for 10 minutes...

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Reiz posted:

Being able to choose to put your levels into boating, hang gliding, pet riding, or any of your offensive skills is pretty cool. At like level 30 you have everything your character "needs" and all of your tools available to you but it's still pretty fun to go out and smash a pyramid or climb a huge rock/tree or clear out a valley and get some levels so your mount is faster, teleport cools down quicker, whatever.

This is one thing that actually rubs me the wrong way in the current state of the game. The transport skills are quality of life skills, and I really don't like the idea that I have to choose between traversal/travel skills, and combat efficiency. Having to spend points to remove tedium is not a good foundation to a skill system. They really should be in separate trees, and they should each get their own skill points on level up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Totally agree with you on that one.

While it's not quite as appallingly bad a design decision as when Dragon Age Origins made players choose between combat efficiency and ease of interface use (remember the "tactics" skill or whatever it was called that controlled how many IF>THEN instructions your AI bros could follow for different scenarios?), it's really, really close.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

What excuses it right now, in my opinion, is that you don't really need to put points into your combat skills. Granted, I play a water Mage, but the choice between lowering the mana cost of my heal by 0.7 mana or making my boat 7% faster is an easy one. It's fun to make my boat go faster.

If/When the skill trees become more fleshed out, I agree completely. I'd like to see all of the transportation methods not gated with skill requirements. What I'd like to see is a boat skill that lets you buy/rent a boat that your party mates can ride on as well, or similar other methods of transportation like a blimp for party air travel or a wagon for party ground travel.

I feel like this would also solve the issue where if you are level 20 and your friend buys the game and wants to play, he moves like 40% slower than you on his mount with no way for you to fix that. The terrain generation in this game is awesome, travel is pretty fun in itself (at first), so I think he should take steps to allow players to enjoy it together without having to jump through hoops.

I'm just rambling now but expanding the crafting system and allowing players to customize all of their gear while creating resource clusters and making caves bigger/deeper would be awesome. It's already fun to be exploring and find a cave and get some iron. It could be more fun to set out as a group in a wagon, find a huge cave, get a lot of iron, kill the huge cave spider boss and get the emeralds he was guarding, and then get back in the wagon and go back to town to upgrade. Maybe the game could detect that you're in a wagon and spawn a group of bandit adventurers to try and steal your ore. Then basically do this but underwater with big boats and floating islands? With blimps?

Basically all I'm saying is there's a lot of potential here and I'm excited to see where he goes with it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Reiz posted:

What excuses it right now, in my opinion, is that you don't really need to put points into your combat skills. Granted, I play a water Mage, but the choice between lowering the mana cost of my heal by 0.7 mana or making my boat 7% faster is an easy one. It's fun to make my boat go faster.

If/When the skill trees become more fleshed out, I agree completely.

Yeah, these are my sentiments as well. Normally, I hate anything that makes you choose between combat skills and non-combat skills, and my SOP is to just cheat myself the points for the non-combat skills in such games. It's never bothered me in Cube World, though, because it's easy to push all your combat stuff to the point of diminishing returns- at the moment, anyway. As you say, it may become a bother when actual skill trees are in, but even so, there is also infinite leveling to consider. This is not like Dungeons and Dragons or some poo poo where you can permanently gimp your character with non-combat skills. You'll just need to level up more before every single thing you use is deep into diminishing returns, is all.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Aye, the travel stuff is one of my few actually gripes with the game thus far -- it gets to be less of an issue after a bunch of levels, sure, but before that point it's a right pain. Just something like guaranteed portals between towns would make it much more bearable.

On the other hand, very high Hang-gliding skill and Scout's Swiftness together is just pretty darn neat. Not that I don't mainly play on my Flavor of the Patch water mage, anyway. :)

Reiz posted:

I'm just rambling now but expanding the crafting system and allowing players to customize all of their gear while creating resource clusters and making caves bigger/deeper would be awesome. It's already fun to be exploring and find a cave and get some iron. It could be more fun to set out as a group in a wagon, find a huge cave, get a lot of iron, kill the huge cave spider boss and get the emeralds he was guarding, and then get back in the wagon and go back to town to upgrade. Maybe the game could detect that you're in a wagon and spawn a group of bandit adventurers to try and steal your ore. Then basically do this but underwater with big boats and floating islands? With blimps?

Basically all I'm saying is there's a lot of potential here and I'm excited to see where he goes with it.

So very much this on both counts. Would love to see complex underground caves with gaping chasms of death and stuff, because Adventure! And... and... and! Essentially, there are just so many things that could be added that'd make the game such an awesome thing, so here's to hoping it gets fleshed out significantly in the (near?) future. :yum:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I wold really like to see multiple smaller towns, or at least randomly place item shops or merchant caravans or something so I could top up on glass flasks without spending 5 minutes going back to the one city I've found so far. The crafting interface could use some work too, spending a minute staring at the screen waiting for said glass flasks to fill up, so I can spend another minute staring at the screen when they turn into potions isn't very fun at all.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I've noticed that so far it only generates one city per region, if you zoom out far enough on the map you'll see the borders of your region so you can head to whatever side is closest and find one. Every biome (which so far seems to be normal, desert, ocean, jungle, and hell) will have a city. Oceans have been the most interesting biome to me so far and, oddly enough, cruising through the ocean is probably the best way to find a shitload of caves and ores. The ocean is also awesome at night time with a bunch of people blinking their lanterns.

The fastest way to grind wood so far seems to be in hell, red thorn bushes are generated way more often than bushes and can drop 1-3 wood each kill. I still haven't figured out what to do with plant fibers.

Fake edit: a brewable potion that either has %-based hp increase or damage reduction would "fix" warriors right now. They already have the most hp, it just doesn't matter when a particularly scary boss can one shot them at random. Something like 50% for 1 minute.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Breaky posted:

I think that 9 days without an update is hardly uncommunicative.
Are you joking? 9 days after your extremely highly anticipated product gets a public release is a really long time for any developer and much more for a small indie team. I don't really think it's being entitled to suggest that Wollay has done a poo poo job at keeping in touch with his customers.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiz posted:

Fake edit: a brewable potion that either has %-based hp increase or damage reduction would "fix" warriors right now. They already have the most hp, it just doesn't matter when a particularly scary boss can one shot them at random. Something like 50% for 1 minute.

It would probably also break rogues even further, unless you start making potions "for *class* only" which would be overly complicated.

Honestly, warriors aren't really in a bad spot right now, it's just that the only option worth using is guardian with a two handed weapon. Dual wield is just really underwhelming, and not being able to stun as often is a huge deal. The only real player skill is learning how to dodge properly. Bosses randomly one shotting you are due to one of two things: either you hosed up your dodge or numbers scaling just isn't there, and since I don't see rogues complaining about it a lot then I doubt it's the numbers scaling. All warriors could really use is maybe more damage to bring them closer in line with rogues, since the idea of a tank in this game is laughable.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Above Our Own posted:

Are you joking? 9 days after your extremely highly anticipated product gets a public release is a really long time for any developer and much more for a small indie team. I don't really think it's being entitled to suggest that Wollay has done a poo poo job at keeping in touch with his customers.

I'm sorry, are you one of the two people working on this project? Did you start this as a small hobby project in June 2011, only picking up another person to help you sometime in 2012? Did you program everything in this game and create your own voxel editor for the sprites?

Then, when you released your first version of the game to the public, poo poo hits the fan. Only a bunch of people get to buy it, your webhost thinks you're being DDoSd, then you DO get DDosd, you got a bunch of angry entitled manbabbies crying to play the game and that it's all your fault the servers can't handle the amount of traffic, etc etc.

Nah I don't really think you have any idea what Wollay is going thru right now.

Quit complaining, you said it yourself they're a 'small indie team' (they're not :ssh:).

That rambling aside, my thoughts on the current skill system is that it needs to be fleshed out more. Only having a single unique skill for your specialization currently sucks. I don't really care about the whole "Choose between Combat skills or Transportation skills." You'll come to realize pretty quick that at one point all your skill points are going to be giving you 0.01-0.05% increased speed/damage/cooldown/whatever on all your skills, so it's not like it really matters.

I do agree with the notion there needs to be something better to travel huge amounts of land quickly thought. Moving from city to city or something along those lines, then using whatever transportation method you chose to go to the quests within the biome.

But anyways, I'm just really in a hurry to see how this game will go in the future, as I've already gotten my moneys worth from playing it :allears:.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Getting hit wrecks your damage resistance, the harder or more you're hit the worse your armour gets... which is why you then can get one shotted.

You can't really tank in this game like an MMO, it's an action game. The trick is not getting hit in the first place.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm sorry, are you one of the two people working on this project? Did you start this as a small hobby project in June 2011, only picking up another person to help you sometime in 2012? Did you program everything in this game and create your own voxel editor for the sprites?
I mean seriously, it's not like acknowledging that his customer service is really lovely (it is) means the game is bad or he's a bad person.

I have a decent server running Cube World, it's 3gb hexcore from Betaforce. I don't want to release it to all goonkind but if anyone wants a small server to play on with some friends PM me and I'll set up an ip whitelist.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Arson posted:

And hey, that may just be his problem! It just doesn't change my personal desire. So, there we have it.

All that huffin and puffin, now you've got your update, would a few more hours of being patient have killed you? Anyway, I liked that Wollay fixed the bug where you could get +4 dungeons to turn into quest dungeons (keeping the +4 drops), by spamming the innkeeper.

tooterfish posted:

Getting hit wrecks your damage resistance, the harder or more you're hit the worse your armour gets... which is why you then can get one shotted.

You can't really tank in this game like an MMO, it's an action game. The trick is not getting hit in the first place.

Tanking is kind of strange, I can't really speak for multiplayer, I've just been running a solo Guardian Warrior, and I actually have to admit it is rather easy, I just roll out of attacks until my block guage is ready to handle another parry. Warriors can solo entire +4 ruins at once, with one big pull, without ever taking any damage

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You only really notice it on mobs that do big charged attacks, but things like trolls and ember golems can drop you in one shot if you're not careful.

The ground pound attacks are especially dangerous, since the first shot stuns you and wrecks your armour. The second shot will probably kill you, so you need to pop bulwark quickly and get the gently caress out of there.

But yeah, guardian is serious business. I waded through a +4 dungeon full of blue names a while back, I thought to myself at the time "man these guys are pretty tough!". When I checked the power level of their drops it was 10 above mine, and I wouldn't be able to use it for another 60-70 levels... Talk about first world problems.

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012
Other reasons bosses can one-shot you: They were a ninja and you didn't notice their passive activating.

Poor class balance is just as noticeable with the enemies as it is with the players sometimes.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

tooterfish posted:

You only really notice it on mobs that do big charged attacks, but things like trolls and ember golems can drop you in one shot if you're not careful.

The ground pound attacks are especially dangerous, since the first shot stuns you and wrecks your armour. The second shot will probably kill you, so you need to pop bulwark quickly and get the gently caress out of there.

But yeah, guardian is serious business. I waded through a +4 dungeon full of blue names a while back, I thought to myself at the time "man these guys are pretty tough!". When I checked the power level of their drops it was 10 above mine, and I wouldn't be able to use it for another 60-70 levels... Talk about first world problems.

Take that stuff to the platinum coin upgrader, to downgrade it.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Rawrbomb posted:

Take that stuff to the platinum coin upgrader, to downgrade it.

Where are these NPCs? I've never been able to figure out which one of the countless unlabeled dudes around town it is.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Uhh guys its been a few hours since the update why isn't Wollay telling us what he's had for dinner tonight? Or what he plans to work on tomorrow? I hope he knows how much these things matter to me and pathetic people like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

Where are these NPCs? I've never been able to figure out which one of the countless unlabeled dudes around town it is.

Power Level

Your power level is dependent upon your level, and can be found on your character sheet in your inventory, press "I" to see it.

If an item is below or above your power level, you can take it to the Adapter in the center of town,

If the item has to be increased in power, you will have to pay a sum of Platinum Coins, which can only be ascertained by defeating certain bosses. Downgrading an item in power will decrease it's stats. Once an item has been Adapted it will gain the (Adapted) tag, and you will be unable to Adapt it again.

• Locked thread