Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Volume posted:

I know there is a travel and tourism sub-forum but this question doesn't feel like it warrants it's own thread. We're gonna take a vacation in Mexico and my question is, would it be better to exchange to pesos here or over there?

Almost certainly there. Just hit up an ATM and pull out the cash. Depending on where you're going, plenty of places take credit cards, so you might not need as much cash as you think.

Also, be sure to call your bank/CC issues and tell them you'll be in Mexico so they don't cancel your charge after you use it a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Volume posted:

I know there is a travel and tourism sub-forum but this question doesn't feel like it warrants it's own thread. We're gonna take a vacation in Mexico and my question is, would it be better to exchange to pesos here or over there?

Get them from an atm there. Cash exchange places are a rip.

Double check if your bank charges a foreign fee, but many don't, and even if they do it's likely way cheaper than bringing cash and exchanging it.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanatosian posted:

It's almost certainly against the terms of your employment agreement for you to share salary information with others. So, if you do tell her what you're making, make sure she doesn't say anything about you mentioning it in the interview.

That being said, the only people confidential salaries help out are the people doing the hiring; they prefer that employees and potential employees remain ignorant as to what they can possibly get, so that they can lowball them.

In short, gently caress the man, help your friend out, just be careful when doing it.

Generally a policy like that only applies to coworkers, you are free to tell anyone else your salary if you so desire. My company has a specific written policy that I can't share my salary with others that work at the company. People do it all the time anyway.

Peristalsis posted:

You know, there's no guarantee that ColdBlooded isn't being underpaid, either. Maybe you should both check out glassdoor, before urging her to settle for whatever you're getting.

Glassdoor is good, and I don't think there would be any harm in giving a 10k range that she could shoot for.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I can't for the life of me remember what this kind of "abbreviation" is called. It's used in words like N.A.S.A or U.S.A and the like.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Kheldragar posted:

I can't for the life of me remember what this kind of "abbreviation" is called. It's used in words like N.A.S.A or U.S.A and the like.

Initialism

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I think you're thinking acronym. Also, some say that term should only be used when it can be said like a word, like NASA, SCUBA, and NATO, whereas the term "initialism" is when it can't be used as a word, like CIA or FBI.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Peristalsis posted:

There are also lots of variables here. Is your friend going to be in the same role you are? Does she have more/less experience or skills than you have? If it's a different role, how would you know how much she can/should command?

This is a good point. It's a different role than mine but I feel it's a roughly equal value role within the company. That being said, the only salary comparaison I have to work with is mine so it's the only thing I can base my recommendation on. Looking at Glassdoor helps a bit but there aren't a lot of results in my field. I'm going to be sure to emphasize that my advice may be totally off.

Namarrgon posted:

Don't tell her your salary but strongly recommend one. Plausible deniability and make sure you can honestly look your boss in the eye and truthfully say "I didn't tell her my salary".

I like this idea a lot and I think that's what I'm going to do. I wasn't overly thrilled with sharing my salary with her (or with anyone else I know, to be honest) and at the same time, it covers my bases a bit if this somehow gets out to my boss' boss. I really don't think it will but it makes me feel a bit more comfortable about this.

Thanks everyone for the responses, much appreciated.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Golbez posted:

I think you're thinking acronym. Also, some say that term should only be used when it can be said like a word, like NASA, SCUBA, and NATO, whereas the term "initialism" is when it can't be used as a word, like CIA or FBI.

Yes, acronym was the word I was looking for, and up until now I considered all of such things acronyms. I guess I learned something new - thanks. So, then, USA would be considered an intialism for the most part unless there are people who actually pronounce how it is spelled?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cell phone and broadband internet service in the US are poor, expensive for the consumer, and sometimes nonexistent. Public utilities (like landline phone service, electricity, and water) are cheap, high-quality, and ubiquitous. How come? Because cell phones and the internet are "young" at like 30 years old? Because there's not much regulation? Why can't they be public utilities, too?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mescal posted:

Cell phone and broadband internet service in the US are poor, expensive for the consumer, and sometimes nonexistent. Public utilities (like landline phone service, electricity, and water) are cheap, high-quality, and ubiquitous. How come? Because cell phones and the internet are "young" at like 30 years old? Because there's not much regulation? Why can't they be public utilities, too?

There were concerted government efforts to bring those utilities to rural areas. There's no inherent reason why the same couldn't be done with cellular and internet service; their youth is only a problem in that those technologies were developed after Americans stopped believing in the power of collective action for the common good.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Penguissimo posted:

There were concerted government efforts to bring those utilities to rural areas. There's no inherent reason why the same couldn't be done with cellular and internet service; their youth is only a problem in that those technologies were developed after Americans stopped believing in the power of collective action for the common good.

Can you give me a rough date for when that happened? Maybe if we figure out what happened that day, we could do something about it.

This cell phone/internet thing is confusing for me, because you'd think people would care enough to get something done about it. These are things that people either use many times every day or would like to. It's not abstractly political, it's the most practical kind of thing there is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

I don't see how you can call landline phone service a public utility and not cell phone service. Additionally, basic cell phone service is almost always less expensive than basic landline service - it is for this reason that the poorest sectors of the population have the highest amount of wireless-only households.

Cell service currently covers about 99% of the population, broadband availability stands at something like 94% (although large portions of the population don't use it).

Incidentally, as late as 1970 fully 15% of households didn't have a phone line at all, with it being 20% in 1965. Everyone having a phone took quite a while to happen. Oh and a very large amount of people do not have public water, they still rely on having a well on their property.

Mescal posted:

This cell phone/internet thing is confusing for me, because you'd think people would care enough to get something done about it.

A good 20% of the US population refuses to get home internet service. Just flat out refuses, it's not because they can't afford it or it isn't available, they just don't want it.

And for cell phones, seriously 99% of the population is within service range, and most of the people outside it are living way out there in places like interior Alaska or other remote from civilization places. They also don't tend to have most other utilities either.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 23, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't see how you can call landline phone service a public utility and not cell phone service. Additionally, basic cell phone service is almost always less expensive than basic landline service - it is for this reason that the poorest sectors of the population have the highest amount of wireless-only households.

Cell service currently covers about 99% of the population, broadband availability stands at something like 94% (although large portions of the population don't use it).

Incidentally, as late as 1970 fully 15% of households didn't have a phone line at all, with it being 20% in 1965. Everyone having a phone took quite a while to happen. Oh and a very large amount of people do not have public water, they still rely on having a well on their property.

A good 20% of the US population refuses to get home internet service. Just flat out refuses, it's not because they can't afford it or it isn't available, they just don't want it.

And for cell phones, seriously 99% of the population is within service range, and most of the people outside it are living way out there in places like interior Alaska or other remote from civilization places. They also don't tend to have most other utilities either.

Are you getting your figures from the telcos or an unbiased source? You can get basic landline service for as low as $10/mo, and basic cell service is lower quality and has limits on how long you can talk. As for broadband availability--I'm surprised that it's 94%. http://www.broadbandmap.gov/ says it's under 90%, and that's for "maximum advertised download speed." That's not a reliable metric.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

What value do trade-in programs for electronics give for retailers? Parts? sourcing for refurbished models? This is in context of Best Buy resuming their iPad trade-in program, BTW.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is there a way to sort the posts on a tumblr by their amounts of notes/likes?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

KnifeWrench posted:

Is there a way to confirm or deny the presence of a spider in my wife's car? She saw what she thought was a black widow hiding in the cavity between the engine compartment and the exterior wall (there's a cutout that you can see when you open the door). I saw it as well, but when I tried to relocate it, it just crawled further inside, so I can't see it anymore. I've cleared out all the webs, and they haven't been rebuilt, but she refuses to go in her car until I she's sure it's gone (her car is a mess, which doesn't help).

Would taking it to the car wash flush anything out? Any other suggestions for confirming whether it's moved on?

Black Widow spiders really aren't in the habit of hopping on people's faces. And odds are, depending on where you live, you probably didn't actually see a Black Widow Spider. There are several spider species that mimic the hourglass of the Black Widow, most likely because a lot of people poo poo their pants at the site of a spider with an hourglass on it's rear end.

Actual Black Widows are smaller than a dime, and are very shy. And a bite from a Black Widow wouldn't rate much more than a really annoying bug bite for most healthy adults.

If your wife is that worried Black Widows, you could try buying her a pair of driving gloves, and have her tuck her socks into her shoes.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 23, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

What value do trade-in programs for electronics give for retailers? Parts? sourcing for refurbished models? This is in context of Best Buy resuming their iPad trade-in program, BTW.
Best Buy owns CowBoom.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

thrakkorzog posted:

Black Widow spiders really aren't in the habit of hopping on people's faces. And odds are, depending on where you live, you probably didn't actually see a Black Widow Spider. There are several spider species that mimic the hourglass of the Black Widow, most likely because a lot of people poo poo their pants at the site of a spider with an hourglass on it's rear end.

Actual Black Widows are smaller than a dime, and are very shy. And a bite from a Black Widow wouldn't rate much more than a really annoying bug bite for most healthy adults.

If your wife is that worried Black Widows, you could try buying her a pair of driving gloves, and have her tuck her socks into her shoes.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. The problem is it's an irrational fear. Reasoning through it only helps me, which is why I'm not afraid of it.

For what it's worth, I never thought it was a black widow either. I only saw it in profile, so I never even saw an hourglass, but the body shape was the same. Honestly, though, I think the details don't really matter. The point is she saw a spider that scared her, I hosed up trying to relocate it, and now I'm in a position where I need to somehow prove it's gone, or she's more-than-half seriously considering selling her car.

Maybe with this new information about the size of the spider, I can calm her down. Thanks.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Update: Came in, sat down, was fired. Wish he would have saved me the gas and just told me over email.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

Are you getting your figures from the telcos or an unbiased source? You can get basic landline service for as low as $10/mo, and basic cell service is lower quality and has limits on how long you can talk. As for broadband availability--I'm surprised that it's 94%. http://www.broadbandmap.gov/ says it's under 90%, and that's for "maximum advertised download speed." That's not a reliable metric.

A $10 a month landline is more expensive then prepaid service for most people, who don't use that many minutes in any one month but do need to be able to be called from time to time.

I'm not sure how you're reading under 90% availability from that site. Closest I can see is that they list there as being 89.5% availability of DSL, but there's tons of places where there's no DSL but there is cable, fiber, fixed position wireless, and so on.

Here's data from the site itself as of 2012:

Note how for broadband faster then 3 meg down / 768 kbps up, it says 100% urban and 90% rural? Due to the urban/rural populations in the US, that means 98% availability (100% of 80% plus 90% of the remaining 20%). And on the second image, it shows that there's 100% urban / 95% rural availability of at least 1.5 megs down/768 k up, and that works out to 99% availability. You only get down to 80% availability once you get to 25 megabits down, or greater then somewhere around 5 megabits up.

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

The bought in electronics will generally be resold at higher prices, usually at a different store. For example, the original Best Buy trade-in program would put up most of its stock on eBay for resale.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Edit: NM.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KnifeWrench posted:

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. The problem is it's an irrational fear. Reasoning through it only helps me, which is why I'm not afraid of it.

For what it's worth, I never thought it was a black widow either. I only saw it in profile, so I never even saw an hourglass, but the body shape was the same. Honestly, though, I think the details don't really matter. The point is she saw a spider that scared her, I hosed up trying to relocate it, and now I'm in a position where I need to somehow prove it's gone, or she's more-than-half seriously considering selling her car.

Maybe with this new information about the size of the spider, I can calm her down. Thanks.

How good are you at subterfuge? Do you have a problem with outright lying to this person? What I'm going to suggest is goony and not something that a sane adult should probably do, but since you appear to be dealing with an 8 year old girl, that's the advice I'll give.

There are a few options, depending on your level of theatrics and what she'll take as proof. Go into her car in full regalia: turtleneck, gloves, long pants tucked into your socks, maybe a hat if it fits the appearance. Have her keep her distance, "for safety", but close enough to watch. Bring a spray can of OFF, and some paper towels with you. Spray the vents, the back seat, everything. Wait a few minutes and look around, and then shout "Got you, you little fucker!" This is the key part.

Then, attack the "spider" with the paper towel, and ball/crush it up in a wad. Get out of the car and dispose of the "body". Done.

If she requires better proof, just get some small black pieces of plastic and cut into small pieces. Stuff that in a wad of paper towels with something slimy that's an ugly yellow/brown/green color. Keep this on you before getting in. If she wants proof, bring her the crushed up "spider guts". Stalk her with it going "You wanna see it...?" all the while.

Again, this is childish, and stupid, but the way I see it, so is her behavior.

EDIT: Re-reading the original post, you mentioned it wasn't quite inside the car, so relocate the OFF spraying and attack, but carry on with the rest.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I have to use both a desktop PC and a laptop on the same desk at work. They are on different networks, one on intranet LAN and the other connected to the internet. Is it possible to share input devices so that I don't have to use two keyboards and two mice?

I've used Synergy in the past and it's the first thing to come to mind, however I'm in a different scenario this time because the two PCs are on different networks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Buy a KVM.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Well I dug through the spare parts here and actually managed to find a basic USB switch like that as well as a hub to give some extra slots so I guess I've got a decent workaround. It's not ideal, but given the situation at least I've got all of my devices on one hub that I can easily switch between the two PCs.

Thanks.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Does anyone have any experience with atmospheric pressure headaches? We've been going through a heatwave in the UK, which has now broke in most places and thunderstorms are happening. Since yesterday there's been a noticeable change in pressure, and since yesterday I've felt like poo poo with a terrible headache. My friend suggested they were related, which is apparently a real thing. I've took paracetemol but my whole body still feels sluggish and ill. If it is related to the atmosphere, anything I can do?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Hoops posted:

Does anyone have any experience with atmospheric pressure headaches? We've been going through a heatwave in the UK, which has now broke in most places and thunderstorms are happening. Since yesterday there's been a noticeable change in pressure, and since yesterday I've felt like poo poo with a terrible headache. My friend suggested they were related, which is apparently a real thing. I've took paracetemol but my whole body still feels sluggish and ill. If it is related to the atmosphere, anything I can do?

Ugh, yes, I get massive headaches every time the air pressure drops when a storm is coming. Pretty much the only thing that works for me is waiting until the air pressure stabilizes. Sorry. :-(

On the flipside, I was great fun in college when I would predict a snowstorm was on its way (this was before smartphones and having weather reports at your fingertips).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I cannot figure out how to do a multiple item listing on ebay. I've sold hundreds of things so I'm not new at this and even read the help page but there just isn't a "quantity" option available under fixed price. What idiot thing am I doing wrong?

Edit; no sooner than typing this I figured it out, had to switch to "advanced listing".

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 23, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
It looks like recently my excel decided that when I paste cells from one sheet into another it defaults to the formatting from the origin spreadsheet instead of the destination spreadsheet. So now when I paste is removes all the formatting on my sheet. When you paste you can go to the bottom right for the copy/paste conditional menu and select the formatting but I'd love it if I could just set it to always default to the current sheet's formatting like before.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KoB posted:

It looks like recently my excel decided that when I paste cells from one sheet into another it defaults to the formatting from the origin spreadsheet instead of the destination spreadsheet. So now when I paste is removes all the formatting on my sheet. When you paste you can go to the bottom right for the copy/paste conditional menu and select the formatting but I'd love it if I could just set it to always default to the current sheet's formatting like before.

IIRC, in Office 2007 and newer, those specific paste options are actually handled by Word for all Office products.

In Word, you can go to Options > Advanced and there is a section for Cut, Copy and Paste. The options there are either going to have you select Keep Source Formatting (Where you copied from) or Use Destination Style (Match Where you are pasting to).

You probably want the first option for Between Documents

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the posted:

Update: Came in, sat down, was fired. Wish he would have saved me the gas and just told me over email.

So now can you tell us what you did?

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Hoops posted:

In Savannah this is epidemic. I think decongestants make a difference for some people (pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine).

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I just remembered an old video review I found on YouTube ages ago. A guy was "reviewing" an expensive piece of sound equipment. The entire review lasted less than a minute and consisted of him destroying the device and tossing it in his toilet.

I can't find it! Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Miranda posted:

In Savannah this is epidemic. I think decongestants make a difference for some people (pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine).
They definitely help for diving, which I assume is a similar effect.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

KnifeWrench posted:

I would advise trying to treat your wife as a rational, reasonable adult, sit her down, and explain that most of the pictures of Black Widows are blown up to fit the page.

And if that doesn't work, worst case scenario, you could just toss a bug bomb in the car. $20 for a fogger is probably a better investment than taking the haircut from trading in a perfectly fine car.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 24, 2013

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

thrakkorzog posted:

And if that doesn't work, worst case scenario, you could just toss a bug bomb in the car. $20 for a fogger is probably a better investment than taking a haircut trading in a perfectly fine car.

Not that we're talking logic here, but black widows specifically are generally immune to most bug bombs. So if she thinks its a black widow and knows that for some reason...welp.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If I don't use iodized salt, am I getting iodine in my diet via meats/vegetables/restaurants/other processed food sources?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

FogHelmut posted:

If I don't use iodized salt, am I getting iodine in my diet via meats/vegetables/restaurants/other processed food sources?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002421.htm

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sieg posted:

Generally a policy like that only applies to coworkers, you are free to tell anyone else your salary if you so desire. My company has a specific written policy that I can't share my salary with others that work at the company. People do it all the time anyway.

Technically those policies are illegal, under the NLRB's interpretation of the National Labor Relations Act's Section 7 right of employees to engage in "concerted activities." But, it's probably not worth testing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

thrakkorzog posted:

I would advise trying to treat your wife as a rational, reasonable adult, sit her down, and explain that most of the pictures of Black Widows are blown up to fit the page.

And if that doesn't work, worst case scenario, you could just toss a bug bomb in the car. $20 for a fogger is probably a better investment than taking the haircut from trading in a perfectly fine car.

Someone earlier made the claim that Black Widows are really tiny, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said they're "about the size of a pea" but http://www.ehow.com/how_2103507_identify-black-widow-spiders-home.html this article claims they're pretty much exactly the size I saw, for a female. Even if it's a "false black widow" (which I also learned was a thing while trying to figure this out), she is straight-up just scared of spiders and didn't like the look of this one.

To the person who suggested putting on an elaborate show, it might work, but she's already mentioned taking it to a shop and making them find and kill the spider, show her the body, and making sure they video tape the whole process so they can't just find one in the warehouse and pass it off. She may have an irrational fear, but she's no dummy. She has already considered subterfuge.

At this point, if it doesn't come back (I'm ironically hoping it does) I can probably prove that it's gone once I actually get time to dig around in the engine compartment. In the meantime, the car rarely gets used anyway (she bikes to work) which is probably why spiders started living in it in the first place.

Thanks for your help, everyone.