Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

nuncle jimbo posted:

Besides this thread, where do you guys go for reviews? Feels like I'm always a little bit behind on new stuff

Kind of a plug, since I write for the site, but Axis of Metal has ton of reviewers, so there's always new stuff posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If you're looking for sites that cover just about everything and don't care about writing quality nor enough fortitude to actually be critical, The Metal Observer is pretty good too - lots of writers ranging from great to absolutely terrible. autothrall/From the Dust Returned covers just about everything too, with the odd situation of being one guy who reviews just about everything - he's bland and repetitive at times, but addresses the music pretty well.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

nuncle jimbo posted:

Besides this thread, where do you guys go for reviews? Feels like I'm always a little bit behind on new stuff

No Clean Singing is pretty good. I pretty regularly find new stuff to listen to there.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Finntroll announced a North American tour with Metsatoll and Blackguard. I've heard that Metsatoll are loving amazing live, so I'm looking forward to this.

quote:

11/4/2013 West Springfield VA US Empire
11/5/2013 New York City NY US Stage 48
11/6/2013 Montreal QC CA Club Soda
11/7/2013 Quebec City QC CA Imperial de Quebec
11/8/2013 Ottawa ON CA Mavericks
11/9/2013 Worcester MA US The Palladium
11/10/2013 Pittsburgh PA US Altar Bar
11/11/2013 Cleveland OH US Peabody's
11/12/2013 London ON CA Rum Runners
11/13/2013 Joliet IL US Mojoes
11/14/2013 Saint Paul MN US Station 4
11/15/2013 Winnipeg MB CA The Zoo
11/16/2013 Regina SK CA The Exchange
11/17/2013 Calgary AL CA The Republik
11/18/2013 Edmonton AL CA Pawn Shop
11/20/2013 Vancouver BC CA Red Room
11/21/2013 Seattle WA US El Corazon
11/22/2013 Portland OR US Hawthorne Theatre
11/23/2013 San Francisco CA US Slim's
11/24/2013 Anaheim CA US The Grove
11/26/2013 Las Vegas NV US LVCS
11/27/2013 Tempe AZ US Rocky Point Cantina
11/29/2013 Salt Lake City UT US In the Venue
11/30/2013 Denver CO US Bluebird Theater
12/1/2013 Lawrence KS US Granada
12/2/2013 Dallas TX US Trees
12/3/2013 San Antonio TX US Backstage Live
12/4/2013 Houston TX US Scout Bar
12/6/2013 Tampa FL US Orpheum
12/7/2013 Atlanta GA US The Masquerade
12/8/2013 Louisville KY US Diamand Pub and Billiards
12/9/2013 Baltimore MD US Soundstage

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

New full-length Carcass track is up: http://youtu.be/nSsrKl6HtAw

Gooooood stuff.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Wasn't that the one that was put up a couple weeks ago?

e: yep it's the one with the weedly-wee break

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
About that new Sirena..

Better then the last one by far, though the production/mastering kind of clouds things. Way to busy and mixed way to "hot", I have no idea why Morten thought it was a good idea with the kind of music this is but at least he is back in business song writing wise. Also Ailyn is less annoying this time around, though her singing voiced is still something I am not sure about, sometimes it works.. other times it sounds like a screeching banshee.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

edrith posted:

Finntroll announced a North American tour with Metsatoll and Blackguard. I've heard that Metsatoll are loving amazing live, so I'm looking forward to this.

Awesome! Missed Finntroll the last time they were in town so I'm pretty stoked. Metsatoll I can vouch for, but shame about Blackguard, ecch.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
Last night I saw Primitive Man, Reproacher, and Snakedriver. I must heavily recommend seeing these bands live. I must also heavily recommend earplugs; forgot mine and my aural equilibrium has been off all day. THANKS LOUD AMPS.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Go to the bathroom, take some toilet paper, roll it up and shove it in your ears. Congratulations you've just figured out earplugs 101.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Francostein posted:

Go to the bathroom, take some toilet paper, roll it up and shove it in your ears. Congratulations you've just figured out earplugs 101.

And as a bonus you'll be the coolest guy in the pit.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I like the idea of symphonic metal, but a lot of it is really bad. Has anyone got any recommendations for good symphonic metal, if there is such a thing?

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

A human heart posted:

I like the idea of symphonic metal, but a lot of it is really bad. Has anyone got any recommendations for good symphonic metal, if there is such a thing?

Fleshgod Apocalypse and Septic Flesh are tight.

Francostein posted:

I want to go to the venues you go to where you would risk touching anything in the men's room let alone insert it into your earholes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A human heart posted:

Can you give us a bit more to work with? Like, which bands have you tried, what you liked and didn't like?
Off the top of my head, try Chthonic. They're not symphonic in the usual sense, they use a lot of Chinese traditional instruments, but they sound really melodramatic and grandiose. I quite like both of the two latest albums, Tagasako Army and Bu-Tik.
Also, Wintersun - Time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Father_Johann posted:

Fleshgod Apocalypse and Septic Flesh are tight.

I want to go to the venues you go to where you would risk touching anything in the men's room let alone insert it into your earholes.

I can feel all the piss on the floor through the soles of my shoes but if the guy wants to stick something from there in his ears that's his choice I guess.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Sigh's Scenes From Hell and Hangman's Hymn albums might fit, as well as the aforementioned Septic Flesh and Fleshgod Apocalypse.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nordick posted:

Also, Wintersun - Time.

If we're counting Wintersun (listen to their original album), then I'm going to have to recommend Nightwish's Once. Get your pitchforks out and come get me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sigh's "In Somniphobia" and SepticFlesh's "Communion" are both baller as hell symph metal.

SF are one of my favorite bands to see live. Greek bands rarely disappoint. See also Rotting Christ.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DeusExMachinima posted:

If we're counting Wintersun (listen to their original album), then I'm going to have to recommend Nightwish's Once. Get your pitchforks out and come get me.
The Wintersun debut may or may not be a better album than Time, but I mentioned Time because it is indisputably the more "symphonic" one.

And yeah, sure, Once is certainly a symphonic metal (god I hate that term though) hallmark and one of my favourite albums of the past decade. I just figured it's probably a bit obvious, too. :v:

Anyways, now that I'm home and can think of some more stuff without distractions, here's a few more bands:

Kamelot. Somewhat symphonic power metal. Very sleek and smooth and cool for a power metal band. Karma and The Black Halo are still a bit light on the orchestrations, but loving great albums at any rate. Later albums like Ghost Opera and Silverthorn lay on the strings a bit more heavily. They don't exactly revel in the bombastic orhestratic cheese, but they have that certain dramatic quality to them that makes me feel they're kinda symphonic.

Pathfinder. Also power metal, but from the "ridiculously outrageously balls-out larger-than-life megalomaniacal cheese" end of the spectrum. This stuff gives no fucks about such trivial things as subtlety and good taste. Rather entertaining to listen to (in small doses) when I'm feeling silly. The musical equivalent of stuffing your mouth full of delicious candy.
http://youtu.be/GPjAbyGkEjc
http://youtu.be/82CJLo5F2hk

Crimfall. Not completely unlike a cross between Nightwish and Wintersun. Bigass horn and string sections, soaring melodies, some folky bits, snarly male vocals and absolutely fantastic, dramatic and powerful (but not "operatic") female vocals. One of my favourite bands of this vague sub-genre.
http://youtu.be/wr_lloiegPA
http://youtu.be/1pzNndx0Ox0
I'm also going to link this ballad because jesus christ that woman's voice gives me goosebumps. :swoon:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually already familiar with Fleshgod Apocalypse and Chthonic and like both of them, I guess I just didn't really think of them as symphonic. I like that Wintersun debut album, and Sigh seem cool as well.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 22, 2013

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Optimum Gulps posted:

Metal-Archives just posted this band Children on Facebook and they're absolutely fantastic. I'd never even heard of them...excellent thrash/prog from NYC, only released one album and then broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_vxUjmXbfk

Quoting a post from March, but poo poo, this album is too loving good, and drat spectacular loud. Every time I play it I have to listen to the whole thing. I was going to watch Top Gear...

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Actual symphonic metal

Haggard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWB4izxuBM
Virgin Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWnRwqpFPQ

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Was playing a game as the Norse on Age of Mythology and had this urge to listen to Amon Amarth that I haven't had in ages. :black101:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DeusExMachinima posted:

At least recommend Nightwish from before they turned into hot garbage. Once is the point where you should pretend the band died in a plane crash. The only upside to that not having happened is that Floor Janson gets a paycheck before hopefully moving on to a band worthy of her talent.

Their earlier stuff is ok though if you like that kind of thing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's the general consensus on the new Black Sabbath? I quite like it, which is not what I expected at all.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

CornHolio posted:

What's the general consensus on the new Black Sabbath? I quite like it, which is not what I expected at all.

I couldn't get into it. It sounded ok, but it just wasn't connecting for me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I liked the new Black Sabbath and early Nightwish was pretty awesome as well.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It was terrible and Ozzy was having trouble moving his mouth but it's Sabbath so the general consensus is that it's good because it kinda sounds like Sabbath even though it sucks horribly. Because it's Sabbath every halfwit has too much to say about it too so I'm glad it hasn't been mentioned here.

Church of Misery's new album is killer. Best doom release I've heard in at least a year or two. I haven't fully hashed out my thoughts as it's still fairly new, but it's very good.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
The songs on the new Sabbath album aren't jazzy enough, which made old Sabbath so interesting. There were doomy and bluesy riffs, but the jazz influences made the songs incredibly dynamic. This album lacked a good jazz drummer and a nimble guitarist. Also Ozzy sounds like he didn't even get out of his hospital bed in the nursing home. It's just not an appealing album for anything more than nostalgia value.

Father_Johann fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 23, 2013

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

IRQ posted:

At least recommend Nightwish from before they turned into hot garbage. Once is the point where you should pretend the band died in a plane crash. The only upside to that not having happened is that Floor Janson gets a paycheck before hopefully moving on to a band worthy of her talent.

Their earlier stuff is ok though if you like that kind of thing.

Funny, I pretend Tomas went through with his emo bullshit and threw himself off a cliff after Once. It united the different styles they'd been trying in other albums (epic/heroic in Oceanborn/Wishmaster, dark in Century Child, etc.) and made them work.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Dark Passion Play is one of the band's best albums, gently caress all you haters. :colbert:
Also, while I really liked Anette's voice on the albums, a frontwoman she was not. I hope Floor stays, maybe Tuomas will be inspired by having a charismatic vocalist who doesn't seem like a karaoke hostess, or something. I dunno.

A human heart posted:

I'm actually already familiar with Fleshgod Apocalypse and Chthonic and like both of them, I guess I just didn't really think of them as symphonic.
See that's what I mean, I didn't know what you were going for with "symphonic metal" so I was just throwing some poo poo at the wall and seeing what stuck. :v:

That said, Shade Empire's new album gets pretty bombastic at some parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHOlG16Aag

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 23, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CornHolio posted:

It gets a resounding "meh" from me. Ozzy just doesn't do it for me anymore. The riffs weren't even that catchy either.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Monster Magnet just released a song, Announced US Tour.

http://www.zodiaclung.com/2013/07/monster-magnet-announce-new-album-confirm-first-north-american-tour-in-over-10-years-debut-new-song/

MONSTER MAGNET North American Tour:
11/14: Grand Rapids, MI @ Intersection
11/15: Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews
11/16: Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge
11/17: Minneapolis, MN @ Mill City Nights
11/19: Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
11/20: Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
11/22: Seattle, WA @ Neumos
11/23: Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theater
11/24: Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
11/26: San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
11/27: Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
11/29: Tempe, AZ @ Club Red
11/30: Albuquerque, NM @ Launch Pad
12/2: Austin, TX @ Red 7
12/3: Houston, TX @ Fitzgeralds
12/4: Dallas, TX @ Trees
12/6: Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
12/7: Charlotte, NC @ Amos Southend
12/8: Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Sound Stage
12/10: Toronto, ON @ Lee’s Palace
12/12: Boston, MA @ Sinclair
12/13: West Chester, PA @ The Note
12/14: New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I like that Monster Magnet song. Was not expecting that.

I was expecting to like the new Týr song but it's like Heri condensed everything I hated about the Lay of Thrym and jammed it into four minutes. :(

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm late to the party, but the new Fleshgod Apocalypse song kicks rear end. Between this album and the Carcass release I'm going to have a real good time.

The new Tyr song loving blows, though I'm not surprised. I haven't enjoyed anything they've done since Ragnarok.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that Monster Magnet song was good.

I still give Powertrip a listen every now and then for high school nostalgia.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that Monster Magnet song was good.

I still give Powertrip a listen every now and then for high school nostalgia.

Spine of God and Superjudge are legitimately good albums. And to be honest, in retrospect, for radio rock Powertrip isn't all that bad. Every time I start my car without plugging in my phone for music has me BEGGING for the days when "Space Lord" was played on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Holy poo poo im not the only person who liked Monster Magnet :stare: Powertrip, and other hard rock I listened to on the radio back then, got me into metal in the first place.