Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

duck monster posted:

GBS's favorite slightly-insane robot inventor, Jamie Mantzel has a kickstarter up for DIY toy robot kits.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1089105581/the-greatest-toy-kit-in-the-universe-spider-tank-m/comments

The constructed versions have been on sale for a while, and by all accounts are actually bloody excellent. This is the hackable kit version.

Oh and for reference, the giant metalic spider robot he's been working on for a few years (that got rudely interupted by a storm killing his homemade "banana shed") last I checked he was about one youtube vid away from finally finishing it. Yeah, thats right, a 6ft high mechanized spider robot.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC7VOJGq__A

I'm in for the Ultra Mega Tool Kit (All the weapons, plus the tools). So excited to be getting one of these robots! Also the tiny Jaimie action figure! Woooo! Comes with his World Domination Throne™! More wooooooo!

Please help it pass so I can have my robot :dance:

Also this shouldn't be here, should it? Where did the Jaimie thread go? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

From gamer webcomic guy's KS bio:

quote:

Mike Kirouff has been writing, drawing and creating comics his whole life along with engineering other social media sites like Gamer Dater and creating Video Games like Final Phantasy 1: The Search for God & Dragoon Princess.

I have been working on websites graphic design & video with many big names Mtv, EA Sports, ABC as you can see on my Design Website http://www.mikekirouff.com

I have been drawing since I could hold a pencil and I want you to help me make my dream a reality, we want to promote our Webcomic and bring it to the next level by getting our merchandise going and our fan base bigger.

My artworks have been retweeted by Wil Weaton of Startrek.

Last year everyone got to know the mega giant Gamer Dater, though such sites as Microsoft Paint Adventures and others, everyone across the internet talked about it on all popular forums, Penny Arcade, Something Awful and more about this awesome new Video Game Dating site and its unique amazing Advertising. There's even been some great reviews on the internet about Gamer Dater lately.

Websites
roleplayingamer.com
gamerdater.com
mikekirouff.com

I can't recommend checking out his Design Website highly enough. Also, what's this about SA having previously picked up on his "mega giant" dating site for videogame people?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

I can't recommend checking out his Design Website highly enough. Also, what's this about SA having previously picked up on his "mega giant" dating site for videogame people?

Everything looks like it's built on templates. The only one that actually looked like it was hand-coded was the Haiti one.

Also, I'm not seeing those ABC, BET, MTV, or EA Sports sites.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Young Freud posted:

Also, I'm not seeing those ABC, BET, MTV, or EA Sports sites.

It's easy - Google "American Badminton Congress", and at the bottom of that page there's a link to his "Badmintoners of Eastern Tennessee" site. From there.....

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mks5000 posted:

Why is he producing comics about Chrono Trigger in 2012? Hasen't every single joke that can be made about that game already been made?
Welcome to gaming webcomics.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

I think we've made fun of a few gamer dating websites before, probably one of those.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think we've made fun of a few gamer dating websites before, probably one of those.

I guess he'll probably update his KS project as being "featured on somethingawful.com!!!" now that we've discussed how lovely it is in this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You might have noticed a banner ad on SA for a Kickstarter iPhone game project called DinoWars Evolution. The game itself and the goal they've set are fairly modest and not really noteworthy for this thread but I just thought I'd point out that all the incidental art in their KS pitch was traced from Ricardo Delgado's 'Age of Reptiles' comicbooks:

The thieving jerks don't credit Delgado for the art. :argh:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
It's not stealing is you only use the silhouette! :shepface:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
What a lovely project. No feathered dinos? Pffft c'mon. Their artists seem okay but budgeting 1k just for the cards is ridiculous - even the lowest paying card illustration jobs pay at $100 per image.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Mammal Sauce posted:

That website is real bad and the forums are bizarre and creepy as gently caress (gamerdater.com).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Oxnard centennial was 10 years ago. Is it common to display old work in a portfolio?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

What a lovely project. No feathered dinos? Pffft c'mon. Their artists seem okay but budgeting 1k just for the cards is ridiculous - even the lowest paying card illustration jobs pay at $100 per image.

I'm going to feature feathered dinos in my game- just because of how much this thread has taught me. One character is going to have a poster of a dinosaur and :spergin: over how it does not have feathers. Illustrations are very expensive, which is why I'm so lucky to have two artists who will work on the cheaper side. Speaking of... I wonder how my ads for my dead project will go over. Like, must be a mind screw.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

StevenM posted:

Humor me here - why post this in the AWFUL Kickstarters thread?

I wasn't aware there was another one. For reference, I agree its an excellent kickstarter, if perhaps a little out of my pricerange!

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jesus Christ those tits he draws, her nipples must have a really high iron content and there are gigantic magnets above her directly to the left and right all the time.

I wondered how his writer Gwyneth felt about all the terribly-drawn boobs flopping around, but then I noticed the pink-haired girl is her stand-in. (That character is "Hrist," Gwyneth uses the name "Hrist" to sign her posts.) THEN I noticed the Hrist character often gets into retarded fetishy stuff in the comic, and that Gwyneth's writing has the same run-on, ham-fisted quality that Kirouff's has.

I think... I think Kirouff made up Gwyneth. :ohdear:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

ZnCu posted:

I think... I think Kirouff made up Gwyneth. :ohdear:

I think you're right. There's some weird singular/plural confusions in the description. ("we don't have a day job")

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There are two Facebook profiles for Gwyneth ("Gwyneth"?) One is for /gwyneth.landale, though the display name is "Gwyneth Terezi Londale"; one is for /hristyy, display name "Hristy Valkyrie". I don't even know what's going on, except that at least one person is boring and bad at both writing and art.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Gwyneth Terezi Londale"

So he named his female alter-ego/"partner" after a character at least two characters from loving Homestuck? Just when I thought the bar for these types couldn't get any lower...

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Jul 22, 2013

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So he named his female alter-ego/"partner" after a character at least two characters from loving Homestuck? Just when I thought the bar for these types couldn't get any lower...

Wow. The /gwyneth.landale profile is mostly friends with Homestuck profiles, and the /hristyy profile uses the same picture as Kirouff's profile. Maybe it's the privacy settings, but it seems like both profiles are almost empty, except for mirroring stuff from the webcomics.

I guess it's possible these are just Gwyneth's "professional" accounts and she's not a figment of Kirouff's imagination, but they really do sound exactly alike. Plus, the /gwyneth.landale profile refers to "my artwork," and I thought Kirouff was the artist? Has he really been pretending to have a friend/partner for 6 years? Because that's just amazing.

I'm gonna stop looking deeper before this gets too Webdog-y. But this is the Kickstarter that keeps on giving (except for giving money).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

ZnCu posted:

I'm gonna stop looking deeper before this gets too Webdog-y.
Nothing wrong with that mate. :chord:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

WebDog posted:

Nothing wrong with that mate. :chord:

No! Stop it! Bad dog!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFN4k-AFEbw

Canonical wants $32,000,000 in 31 days to make an Ubuntu smartphone.

Good luck with that!

repiv has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Jul 22, 2013

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

They certainly aren't going half-assed, are they? Has any group raised even remotely that much? I know Pebble raised $10 million on kickstarter.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I automatically assumed it was flexible funding, but nope! Seems like they seriously think they can get $32 million.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fondue posted:

They certainly aren't going half-assed, are they? Has any group raised even remotely that much? I know Pebble raised $10 million on kickstarter.

I just looked it up:

quote:

The most successful crowdfunded project is Star Citizen, a massively multiplayer online videogame being developed by Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games, which as of July 2013 had raised over $14 million
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

Note that they only raised $2m on their Kickstarter campaign

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Jul 22, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wolfsbane posted:

I automatically assumed it was flexible funding, but nope! Seems like they seriously think they can get $32 million.

:monocle:

I'll be amazed if they get their 32 megabux, but I would totally use an Ubuntu smartphone if it doesn't suck.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Is that even remotely enough money to bring a brand-new phone to market?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

deadly_pudding posted:

:monocle:

I'll be amazed if they get their 32 megabux, but I would totally use an Ubuntu smartphone if it doesn't suck.

You can if you fork over $600 (today only).

DoctorTristan posted:

Probably not ... but the campaign seems to allude to them already having it designed.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

DoctorTristan posted:

If they have software/design/hardware down and only need the money to manufacture/advertise/distribute then it would be reasonable. I don't get why an unbuntu phone would be any different from say developing an unbutnu rom and flash android to it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

Note that they only raised $2m on their Kickstarter campaign

Not to mention Indiegogo has only peaked at $1.6 million. Audience matters.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They have raised 1.7 million so far with 30 days to go. I think it might be possible.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

bowmore posted:

They have raised 1.7 million so far with 30 days to go. I think it might be possible.

Not really. Most higher profile crowd-funding projects start with a huge surge of interest than then drops off as the funding period continues. Unless they continue to add things that entice people to come back to the project and pledge more money (add-ons, additional features, etc.), it becomes really difficult to keep up the same pace that the project had in its first few days. For a great example, look at Double Fine Adventure which saw about $1 million in pledges its second day and then dropped down to around $20-40k for most days until the end when funding picked up again (http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bowmore posted:

You get the phone for $600 instead of $830 if you pledge on the first day. It's going to fall off a cliff after that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm amazed they didn't do it on KS since that's where the big money is, especially since they aren't doing flex funding. I kinda hope they succeed and become the Ouya of phones

I have nothing for or against Ubuntu, I've never used it personally. I just like comedy

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm amazed they didn't do it on KS since that's where the big money is, especially since they aren't doing flex funding. I kinda hope they succeed and become the Ouya of phones

I have nothing for or against Ubuntu, I've never used it personally. I just like comedy

Probably because renderings are prohibited on Kickstarter and that's all they have right now.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I don't know, Canonical is pretty great. I hope they succeed.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I think this is the first time I've ever seen a project on indiegogo that wasn't flexible funding.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Bloodnose posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a project on indiegogo that wasn't flexible funding.
This one was talked about a lot: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, the difference between Canonical and, say, OUYA is that Canonical has a decade of successful work behind it on one of the most popular Linux distributions in the world with literally millions of users(Wikipedia says ~20 million), along with other important open source software. Canonical isn't some no name company, they're actually experienced and extremely well known among the tech community.

Disclaimer: This post was posted from a computer running Ubuntu. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Canonical also makes software for dual-booting Android and Ubuntu on your phone. http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android