Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been playing vanilla SC4:RH forever and I think it's time to get new region maps. If I just wanted to import maps what would be the best way to go about it?
edit: I reviewed the OP and am messing with the config files of a new region. I think I'll just have fun building a gigantor-fuckoff sized region. If it gets too big will it crash? :pseudo:

frogge fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

BrassRoots posted:

Are you loading the game through the launcher available on STEX? If not, do it. then you can choose launch options that will make it a lot more stable. Personally, i go 1 core, high priority and use OpenGL for graphics. works really well for me.

As for seasonal stuff, check the description before you plop. Most will tell you what month to plop it so that the colours change at the right times. I know for most seasonal trees they recommend plopping during September. This lines up with the other non-ploppable trees that come in building lots. Besides, a month is just a number. What's the big deal if it is a 3 or a 9?

I thought I'd pop back in and say I solved my crashing problem, in case anyone else experiences the same. My plugins had gotten rather bloated, 3+GB- apparently above that, the game has a tendency to crash when saving due to memory shortages as its a 32-bit program. The solution that actually worked came from a random post on a random forum I found and have since lost- but basically, I had to patch the EXE to allow the program to address up to 4GB of virtual memory, using This 4GB patch.

Also, I hadn't realized that plopped trees followed seasons starting in september from when you plopped them- so when I terraformed and prepared my region, all of my trees were planted in January. So all of my parks and growable buildings followed northern hemisphere seasons (fall Sept-Nov), all of the wild trees were following southern hemisphere seasons. Your solution worked, so thanks!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 26, 2013

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Does anyone have the tutorial region? For some reason I deleted it the last time I played SC4 and after reinstalling it in Steam it's not showing up when I select load regions. It's defaulting to Berlin.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

J-Pak posted:

Does anyone have the tutorial region? For some reason I deleted it the last time I played SC4 and after reinstalling it in Steam it's not showing up when I select load regions. It's defaulting to Berlin.

The regions are stored under your personal Documents folder in Windows. When you start the game for the first time it copies the shipped regions from the game's install folder to your user profile and then uses those.
You should be able to just manually do the same thing, find the game's install folder, find the regions you want to restore, copy them over into your own profile.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

nielsm posted:

The regions are stored under your personal Documents folder in Windows. When you start the game for the first time it copies the shipped regions from the game's install folder to your user profile and then uses those.
You should be able to just manually do the same thing, find the game's install folder, find the regions you want to restore, copy them over into your own profile.

That worked, thanks! Tutorial region is Timbuktu.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Any idea what is going on with my lights here? It's ugly as gently caress and stopping me from having a pretty nightlife to look at like the rest of you guys.

Just using the stuff from the Old Fashioned Pack plus Simfox's dark night stuff (or whatever it is), if it's relevant.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

Another newbie question, if you build a road connecting to another tile will your sims drive there even if the adjacent tile is just a raw unfinished tile?

I was working on getting an industrial/hick town farm going and the commutes to the agricultural sector really wasn't that long. But in the blink of an eye I went from 219 people to 0. All abandoned due to long commute times (these are low R$ sims). I have not installed the NAM mod because I'm just working on farming towns for now.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

J-Pak posted:

I have not installed the NAM mod

I think I found your problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geshtal posted:

They should call it "traffic bugfix mod" instead.

Also yes, making a road connection into a blank tile/entirely out of the region is useful. It will help bust industrial demand caps, i.e. let your industry grow further. It might also relieve commercial demand caps a bit, I don't remember that.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

Geshtal posted:

There is no public transit system in this town. My impression was it was needed in larger cities. To give you an idea just how tiny I am talking about :

J-Pak fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 4, 2013

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
You'll still need NAM. The game is basically unplayable without NAM, but amazing with it. Not even kidding - it's that important.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

J-Pak posted:

I was working on getting an industrial/hick town farm going and the commutes to the agricultural sector really wasn't that long. But in the blink of an eye I went from 219 people to 0. All abandoned due to long commute times (these are low R$ sims). I have not installed the NAM mod because I'm just working on farming towns for now.

Hey guys, I'm running the beta version of SC4 where the traffic system is completely broken and makes no sense, and I've refused to patch it to the version where this is corrected. I'm finding that, strangely enough, the traffic system is broken and makes no sense. How do I fix this?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

J-Pak posted:

There is no public transit system in this town. My impression was it was needed in larger cities.

Your impression was incorrect. NAM also fixes issue of road capacity and distance Sims are willing to travel by any means.

On a side note: the picture is zoomed out quite a bit so I'm not sure, but it looks like your streets just come up to the avenue but don't intersect it. Stretch them across to both lanes or else the traffic on one side can’t turn down them.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Geshtal posted:

On a side note: the picture is zoomed out quite a bit so I'm not sure, but it looks like your streets just come up to the avenue but don't intersect it. Stretch them across to both lanes or else the traffic on one side can’t turn down them.

This is true, but if he had NAM installed, it's not actually a bad strategy!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Been on a Civ 5 bender lately, but the last patch broke the game for me so... time for more SC4!

Some updates on my region continuing off my previous posts:

First is a shot of the town of Rye after I added in farms. As I said before when laying things out this early I try not to think too much while I do this. Just throw down some roads, and park some farms next to them. Leaving some space between farms helps to make them look more believable. It still looks a little funny to me here, but I'll iron things out later as I grow the towns.

You can get a better idea for how things are coming together in the region view.

*Note: as I said earlier I base all these early towns on rail access. The areas of Challah & Foccacia had no rail access so they were left empty. However, as I now have everything linked up by road I went ahead and made some road spurs connecting those areas into the region, and built some small towns next to them. Automobiles have officially arrived in the region of Westport!

I also spent some time growing the town of Ciabatta (now officially approaching city status). As I said in a previous post Ciabatta sits on an important 3 way rail intersection, and also a 4 way road connection. All "through" traffic in the region must travel through Ciabatta so it makes sense it would be the first area to really begin to grow.

Notes on how I am going about city planning:
- In the south end of the city I placed the coal plant which is powering much of the East end of the region. Given the amount of pollution coming out of the plant I built a small industrial area around it because who would want to live there.

- The West-East rail-line made a nice border for the residential area I built just to the North of it.

- I'm not ready to deal with regional borders so I didn't want to build out the city to the East with residential. Also it makes sense to continue using the rail-lines as a border for now as the city is still developing.

- Remember when I said diagonals are your friend? You can see that coming into play here. As I'm filling things in I generally gravitate away from the diagonals because they are a pain in the rear end to build around. Which forces me away from just straight forward grids, and also leaves some areas a little empty (like around the graveyard) leading to a more natural looking city (I think).

- I like to lay down commercial in these earlier stages along the roads as that is where most of the traffic would be going in real life.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
How is it that you can have all that rail, road and power lines laid down in advance and not be busting your monthly budget? It seems like that would be kind of expensive to do.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Buried alive posted:

How is it that you can have all that rail, road and power lines laid down in advance and not be busting your monthly budget? It seems like that would be kind of expensive to do.

Roads can get a little spendy, but I only use them for connecting the towns together so I don't have spend much on them early. Streets, rail, and power lines are all pretty cheap to lay out. I always play on the hardest difficulty setting, and never run into money problems doing things this way (as even the hardest setting starts you with $100k in the bank). I rarely even need to leave the game running in cheetah mode once the cities really start going.

Also none of those towns have water, schools, police, healthcare, etc right now. Well, Ciabatta does have a small fire department which I was forced to build when the Coal plant caught on fire (oops). That's the only "service" in the whole region though. Just to echo what has been said in the thread before: until people start demanding things, or you run into a hard cap that is preventing development there is no reason to build facilities. Pay attention to the sliders on things like schools as well. No sense in paying for 8 doctors at the hospital when they are only getting 2 patients a month.

Just stick to Res/Com/Ind plots for the beginning. Then start adding in the other stuff as your budget begins increase to healthy levels.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hey Punch, how goes the work on the latest version of the Old-Fashioned pack? I'm in the mood to get back into SC4 and your pack looks great, but if there's a new version that's going to come out soon then I'll probably wait for that.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Gaah gently caress, terribly... I burned out on reorganizing the folders, to be quite honest. I know people wanted it to be more modular, but it's really tough making that happen when moving things around tends to cause a bunch of errors for crazy/unknown reasons. I'm not a tech guy, just a fan, and though I've been competent sofar some of the technical stuff is a bit over my head. Like a lot of others, I play this game sort of two months on and then two months off, so that's probably a factor as well. Sorry!

I'll be happy to whip up an "unofficial" update in a few days; the only things which really need to be fixed are a bunch of redundancies (already done) and an upgrade to the new NAM (self-contained, really easy.) And there's been enough new thematic content on the STEX/LEX that an update is most certainly justified. At this point, doing updates is pretty easy (especially since the modders making stuff now are a bit more user-friendly,) so it won't be hard. I just can't promise it will be any better organized than the previous versions. My plugins, with the work I started to do, still has 6,954 files. :shepicide:

edit: I should also note that Sim City 4 is one of the deals on the summer steam sale right now. If you're reading this thread and deliberating - do it! Hundreds of hours of fun if you're into sims, and six bucks, yo!

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 19, 2013

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

No worries, the last time I installed SC4 I spent hours trying a custom set of mods, painstakingly making sure I was only downloading the dependencies that were strictly necessary and trying to neatly organise every mod in my plugins folder, only for it to end up a clusterfuck anyway because there are so many files jesus christ. Making a working gigapack in the first place is much more than what I could do, so I'm certainly not going to begrudge you for breaking off on the attempt to make the pack more modular.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Yeah, you've gotta be pretty OCD about reading readmes for dependencies, etc. There are only a handful of things that depend on load order, but then again there are quite a few things that depend on installation order. Fortunately all that work has been done for OldFashioned, and again NAM is standalone, so adding things is relatively simple. I've started work and will cull from the STEX/LEX everything that's thematic and looks good made since like January. A whole bunch of new buildings have been released, so I'm kinda excited. Even more flesh to the pack's bones!

I also might throw this guy in the power menu: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28869-future-project-circuitry-relay-tower/. Even though it's not thematic at all, holy crap this might be the best-looking BAT I've ever seen:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

*PUNCH* posted:

Yeah, you've gotta be pretty OCD about reading readmes for dependencies, etc. There are only a handful of things that depend on load order, but then again there are quite a few things that depend on installation order. Fortunately all that work has been done for OldFashioned, and again NAM is standalone, so adding things is relatively simple. I've started work and will cull from the STEX/LEX everything that's thematic and looks good made since like January. A whole bunch of new buildings have been released, so I'm kinda excited. Even more flesh to the pack's bones!

I also might throw this guy in the power menu: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28869-future-project-circuitry-relay-tower/. Even though it's not thematic at all, holy crap this might be the best-looking BAT I've ever seen:

Reinstalling game.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Holy cow! That is drat sexy. I might just have to take a copy of my Fhuzo out with me when i head out for work.

Just on another note, I had my main city turn into open blank ground when using the satellite overview? Anyone know of any particular reason why this may have happened?

It's lovely because I built the most infrastructure in that square and am not looking forward to building it up again.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Don't alt-tab while saving. It's only a display bug, your city is still there. Just go back in and save again to fix it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

This game...After doing a fresh re-install and spending the requisite 3-4 hours downloading stuff, I really got back into.

Forget city simulating, this is the best model railroading game ever made.
I think I've spent something like 4-6 hours in-game so far and I haven't made a single zone, just working on a seaport:

It was worth it though!

Also, I had never used the Terraformer before, and it is the greatest. If you plan on making your own regions it's a must have for making things seamless.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Bought SC4 in the Steam sale because I have a Simcity-specific God complex itch that hasn't been scratched in about 5 years.

Trying to download the Goon Gigapack, but alluvion won't recognize my profile (which has been an issue for me in the past) so I can't. Does anyone have any idea what's up with that?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I made a region!

I actually took this screenshot during the process of making it, but it's not that different from the finished product. All I did was dredge the water a little deeper and raise the northern mountain. It's got some nicely varied terrain - not a lot of steep slopes, but the north side has some flood plain-style terracing going on. I'm going to place the commercial center on the largest island in the lagoon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Looks good man, post it up if you get the chance!

Working on v3.0 of OldFashioned and reviewing the NAM installation. There are literally 375 pages of combined manual for this thing... :spergin:

So with the new NAM come new options. Of note is the "Extreme Network Controller" option which can be toggled during setup. If I'm understanding this correctly, it adds some of the larger-capacity custom highway options (what they call the L3 and L4 options - I believe these are the 6- and 8-lane systems, possibly beyond - I don't really mess with RHW stuff that much personally.) However, it drastically increases the time it takes to load a city, and more obnoxiously the loading time for entering and exiting subway placement mode. The subway quirk is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I believe I missed this option when compiling the last pack, or underestimated its importance. I'm going to leave it on because I know people like building huge highway systems, but make a note both here and in the OP: if long loading times piss you off, remove OldFashioned's NAM (\plugins\Network Addon Mod) and reinstall it with a fresh version. Toggle whatever you want EXCEPT for the "Extreme Network Controller." This will speed things up considerably.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Will the new version of OldFashioned include the HT Fix? I looked that up and it looked like a major pain to install it, but it seems like the game is hard to play without it.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Indeed it will, thanks for reminding me! Really easy one to install actually - just a 1kb file - but peskily forgettable.

edit - Gaah, I see your point. Like CAM, it creates a double-demand bug. Unfortunately fixing those are user-end stuff that involves mucking with things outside plugins. It will be included, and if it's not in the OP already I'll do a little tutorial on how to fix these things using DATpacker. It really isn't that hard, but it's a little more involved than dragging and dropping files. I've never cared much about demand curves that much because after a certain critical mass a region tends to experience massive demand by de facto, but I can definitely see how some people might, especially if they're doing some kind of decentralized thing and all their cities aren't connected via transit.

As far as I know CAM and the I-HT fix are the only things that do this, since they're the only two things which directly mess with demand. SPAM could, I think, in theory, but the version in the modpack gets overridden by CAM, at least if I'm remembering right.

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 29, 2013

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know if this problem is common or just dependent on some random plugin conflict that I don't know about, (i did find a few people on simtropolis complaining about it too), but I figured I'd do a little public service announcement:

Do NOT build multiple functioning seaports of different kinds, unless you want your city to crash to desktop whenever you try to load it again. Non-functioning seaport pieces are fine, but if you have functioning seaports of different kinds it apparently causes a glitch with the seaport controller file or some such, and kills your city. I found out the hard way when I built a CDK3 container seaport and a CDK3 break-bulk seaport in a sizable city I had been working on. I spent a couple hours working on a massive port complex (inspired by ExplodingSims' awesome one a couple posts above) only to end up having to delete the entire city and start over. It's something that can sneak up on you, because functioning ports of different kinds work fine together with no crashing until you quit and then try to reload, which is when you get the irreversible CTD problem.

edit: and now I just built a new port with only one functioning seaport type (the break bulk one), and it all worked fine for a little while, with no CTDs on loading....until it randomly crashed while I was playing, and now it does CTD whenever I try to reload it. So I tried recreating the same port in a different blank city, with all the same buildings/seaports/port pieces plopped down, to try and pinpoint the problem, but I can't get it to crash. The other city with all the same poo poo still CTDs on loading though, of course. This loving game :negative:

Be careful with port stuff, it is of the devil.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 29, 2013

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pics of my region! I'm still new to a lot of the addons in the Old-fashioned pack, so things will look a little rough.

What I've built so far. I've only touched 4 of the map squares. Way over on the right side you can see the one bit that actually corresponds to this region's namesake.

The main city Taihu (Great Lake), still a WIP.

The commercial center.

Southern tip of the main island, the most complete bit of the city. I'm liking these seawall ploppables, but I still need to dredge the lake a little deeper to make them look right.

Lakeshore suburbs.

The university complex. Not quite finished.

MuseZhuang, my primary industry city so far. The name means "Twilight Village".

YinghaiZhen, the town that welcomes the sea. Going to be a satellite city/suburbs of Taihu, but it's the first map I built up.

I have the undeveloped region in SC4M format. I'll upload it if anyone wants it. It's not quite the same as the final version I'm using here though.

EDIT: I just realized that J-Pak had his streets linked up in such a way that sims could drive from the house to the workplace, but couldn't commute back...

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 31, 2013

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Gentlemen... Behold!

Download torrent81 (1 file; 1.97 GB)
View torrent stats

Things should be a little more organized now. This was a pretty easy update and I'm feeling awfully stupid for procrastinating so long. Some notes:

- Added a bunch of new buildings; basically everything good and thematic that's come out on the STEX and LEX since February 11.
- Added the new NAM. Please note that this version includes the "Extreme Network Controller" option, which supposedly increases stability. It also enables the top-tier elements in RHW, allowing larger highways. This comes at the cost of greater load times for cities and the transition in and out of subway mode. If you don't like it (completely understandable,) just delete the NAM folder and reinstall your own version; it's entierly self-contained and very easy to do.
- Organized a little, deleted a few redundant files. The terrain mods that gave people trouble are all self-contained in the "terrainmods" folder and very easy to delete. The part which includes building/other content is still woefully disorganized and psychotic; I've kept it unpacked for moddability, so you can delete buildings/content you don't like. DATpack at your leisure for greater speed!
- Added the HT jobs fix. The pack should now include all standard fixes!

I'm still going to consider this a beta release; I haven't tested this one as thoroughly as the previous releases, mostly because none of the additions made were especially involved. That said, these are Sim City 4 mods, so bug paranoia is entirely justified. If you see something, say something in this thread and I'll try and figure it out. Enjoy, folks!

e: oh yeah, if you use OldFashioned 2.0, you should be able to delete your current \plugins folder, replace it with 3.0, and be perfectly all right. Once again, enjoy!

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 1, 2013

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Awesome! Thanks for all the work you've put into this. I'll be seeding as long as my computer is up. One question though; is the double-demand bug which you mentioned before a big problem, or can it be comfortably ignored without too much impact on your cities?

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
TLDR: It depends on how big your region is, what you're doing, and how much you care.

From experience: I played SC4 for years with the last thread's gigapack. Since all its content was DATpacked, there was no means for players to alleviate the double-demand bug. Contrasting this with the variations of OldFashioned (in which you can fix it, if you want - I have,) the most major difference is it was slightly easier to create homogeneous neighborhoods and cities with doubledemand than not, because it was ever-so-slightly easier for bigger buildings to pop up with double demand. This stops mattering much once you've got more than two or three cities. I guestimate the give-a-gently caress line to be around 500,000 sims.

Double-demand does exactly what it sounds like: it doubles demand in every single catagory. This means if demand is positive, there will be twice is much in your simulation as what there would be in the stock game; if it's negative, vice versa. So if you're trying to cultivate a specific wealth level or type of industry, the double-demand bug will make this unrealistically easy - that is, assuming the base game is even remotely realistic. It isn't at all. SC4 is a weird game in that it is both incredibly deep and incredibly easy, even in stock versions. Urban blight can be permanently solved through education, parks and traffic control; crime is prevented by having more police stations; the default tax rate is 9-9-9; etc. The only real difficulty in SC4 has been buggy transit, which NAM has fixed for years.

Demand is both a function of a city's health and its region's health; as a region grows in population, it affects demand way more than any one city possibly can. In short, demand aggregates across all your cities, and sooner or later will be sky-high except under extraordinary (gamebreaking) circumstances. From my experience, demand curves only matter in the first few cities you connect within a given region; after you've built a real bona-fide city, you'll have plenty of demand for office towers even a tiny farming hamlet. What actually develops is mostly a product of land value, the amenities provided and what's already there, rather than some relationship between supply and demand. If you've read this thread or other guides, you know about demand caps and building stages, both of which are ultimately far more important for building big cities and corralling small ones than "demand" will be. I guess if you want some kind of "authentic SC4 experience," it's worth fixing; but otherwise, ehh. The fun in this game is building beautiful things and imagining the goings-on in them; a bar graph accomplishes neither of those goals.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hey PUNCH, I found what looks like some missed dependencies in the old-fashioned pack; the NHP parks show up as brown boxes.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just out of curiosity what is the best sim city? If it isn't this one is there a big enough to difference to go with it over this one?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

This is the best one. Also the last one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Safety Scissors posted:

Just out of curiosity what is the best sim city? If it isn't this one is there a big enough to difference to go with it over this one?

3000 is a pretty easy-to-grasp improvement over 2000, but both are a different kind of zen garden from 4, and 4 has far more flexibility (even if you have to mod in any water that isn't sea level).

SimCity [Online] is an unmitigated disaster and I can't really blame Tarezax for acting like it doesn't exist because it probably shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it possible to (eventually) replace all dirty industry with high tech industry? Or does dirty industry need to exist in some certain quantity? Also, if possible, whats the best way to turn a massively polluted industrial sector into a high tech one?

• Locked thread