Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sash! posted:

Colonel Gentleman is attracted to women too!

They actually go in to this in...I have no idea what episode's commentary. Basically, Colonel Gentleman will have sex with anyone.

He did say in last weeks episode that he moved to a country where his sexual preference is outlawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they've mentioned in interviews that they see him as willing to gently caress anything, but you know VB jokes are entirely dependent on what's funny that second and that's part of why VB is awesome.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pick posted:

I think they've mentioned in interviews that they see him as willing to gently caress anything, but you know VB jokes are entirely dependent on what's funny that second and that's part of why VB is awesome.

I specifically saying something like "Col. Gentleman would question why you wouldn't want to have sex with Kiki. 'Look at him, he's gorgeous!'"

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I liked the theme of recapturing passion this season, especially in this episode. A lot of the characters were stuck in some kind of rut and not enjoying their current position in life. Gary was solo-ing Sphinx and still getting no respect from anyone which drove him back to the place where people cared for him and felt like home, Vatred was bored and relegated to a mommy but now has a fight to focus on again, Monarch finally got Venture and learned it was the chase that he enjoyed -- not the destination, Hank and Dean were so concerned with growing up and changing but realize they're pretty cool the way they are, even Col. Gentleman and The Action Man got to grow a little bit with the help of the boys.

I'm very excited to see where the next season takes us now that nearly every character seems to have a new wrinkle. The Gary/Vatred rivalry should be especially interesting.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Like the episode a few weeks ago was about secrets, this one seemed to be about abandonment and separation in some way.

Vatred felt forced to abandon the boys to their godfathers, their godfathers had just lost close friends or were in the process of losing a close romantic companion, Doc was convinced none of his associates cared enough about him to come rescue him, and both Gary and Vatred felt the other turned on them.

After thinking he was abandoned, Doc has to feel something comforting to see Vatred flying towards Malice presumably rescue him (and hurt Gary, but mostly, rescue him.) It seems like the tone of the ending was actually pretty hopeful, all things considered.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I just watched The Doctor is Sin and realized that you actually see Brock road haul the guy whose costume Shoreleave wears to get into Don Hell's. He doesn't wear the full costume but it's the exact mask.

GD_American posted:

Oh Christ, we're in for another year+ of this kind of poo poo, aren't we?

Did you know the theme is failure?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

JediTalentAgent posted:

Like the episode a few weeks ago was about secrets, this one seemed to be about abandonment and separation in some way.

Vatred felt forced to abandon the boys to their godfathers, their godfathers had just lost close friends or were in the process of losing a close romantic companion, Doc was convinced none of his associates cared enough about him to come rescue him, and both Gary and Vatred felt the other turned on them.

After thinking he was abandoned, Doc has to feel something comforting to see Vatred flying towards Malice presumably rescue him (and hurt Gary, but mostly, rescue him.) It seems like the tone of the ending was actually pretty hopeful, all things considered.
Honestly this whole season seemed more upbeat. Maybe it was just the fact of Spanakopita(!) but Rusty, in general, seemed a bit happier this season. Joking around with Brock, taking Billy to the party, etc.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish they'd have rerun the Halloween episode during the new season though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sash! posted:

I wish they'd have rerun the Halloween episode during the new season though.

They should have rerun the Halloween special after the first commercial break of the season premiere.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'd never really thought about the relative dearth of women characters in the show before, but yeah there aren't many are there. I could see Nikki showing up more now that Dermott is a regular character, but I guess that doesn't count for much. Dr. Quymm has been mentioned a couple of times outside of her one appearance, but that's still pretty minor too. And there's that spider themed lady on the council, but again, still pretty background. Got me thinking though. Has Doc's mother been mentioned ever? I can't seem to recall a single instance of it even bring suggested that one exists.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So here's another insane relative theory:

So "Triple Threat", the woman Action Man had a crush on and whom Brainulo made him fight, is clearly Rose, the woman... that he has a crush on.

(Note the glasses, the rose pin, the hairstyle)

...that means Billy's mom has had contact with Brainulo. So, uh, that's two large-headed, intelligent men in Rose's life.

If Billy ever starts exhibiting mind powers, I'm going to laugh so hard.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Sash! posted:

Basically, Colonel Gentleman will have sex with anyone.
¨I'd spread Kiki on toast, then gently caress the sandwich!¨

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bobkatt013 posted:

They should have rerun the Halloween special after the first commercial break of the season premiere.

I've been wondering how they'll deal with that on the DVDs. If there's anything I assume they'll just an intercard or something inserted to say "Hey, the Halloween Episode happens now. Go watch it if you haven't, this episode will still be here when you come back."

Bobulus posted:

Dammit, if anyone is going to have secret mind powers, it better be Kevin.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bobulus posted:

So "Triple Threat", the woman Action Man had a crush on and whom Brainulo made him fight, is clearly Rose, the woman... that he has a crush on.

...that means Billy's mom has had contact with Brainulo. So, uh, that's two large-headed, intelligent men in Rose's life.

And didn't Action Man say he'd been after her for forty years?

e: also she knew he was a junkie, though he kicked that years ago. She must have known him for some time.

ee: I don't think Billy is Brainulo's son, however. Though Brainulo is Billy's favorite villain... I dunno, maybe there's something there

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bobulus posted:

Whether this show is about failure or not at this point, it's gotta hurt like hell if Billy ends up having both super science talent AND magic powers... while looking like that. It's like so close to having the perfect skillset, yet you look like a grown up boy with an enormous head.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Whether this show is about failure or not at this point, it's gotta hurt like hell if Billy ends up having both super science talent AND magic powers... while looking like that. It's like so close to having the perfect skillset, yet you look like a grown up boy with an enormous head.

Sometimes a water baby is just a water baby.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

I've been wondering how they'll deal with that on the DVDs. If there's anything I assume they'll just an intercard or something inserted to say "Hey, the Halloween Episode happens now. Go watch it if you haven't, this episode will still be here when you come back."

That seems unnecessary.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ReidRansom posted:

ee: I don't think Billy is Brainulo's son, however. Though Brainulo is Billy's favorite villain... I dunno, maybe there's something there

It's a big head thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know that he does. He just wants to have the upper hand. The idea is that the O.S.I. keeps the guild from getting to Sphinx levels.

I mean, if he wanted to take down the guild completely, he could have just bombed the hell out of the nightclub. They just keep them under control so there's more "antagonizing super scientists" and less "take over the world" poo poo going on.

"Eliminate the Guild? Now why would I go and do something stupid like that, boychik? The Guild scares all the old farts in Congress who remember what they *used* to be capable of before the Council of Thirteen started collecting Social Security. What do you think keeps this floating Cold War relic airborne? GULLIBLE OLD MEN making GBS threads IN THEIR DEPENDS! All we have to say is 'Guild operative' in a closed hearing of the House Intelligence Oversight committee and we get enough funding to buy a small country."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 23, 2013

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
In a show full of amazing sporadically-reoccurring characters, Colonel Gentleman might just be my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJlRLe81cA

Now I guess it's time to start rewatching the whole series for the next year or two...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Whoa.

An actual house in NJ, which is where The Monarch's parents' plane was said in the show to have crashed. Gotta give it to the creators.

e: VVV possibly. I saw it somewhere else, but may have missed it if it was posted here as well.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 23, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Didn't someone in this thread call it as Kruger mansion?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Either way, good catch whoever found it. That's a pretty cool looking place too. Also for comparison, the Paper Street Soap Company house that a few of us immediately associated it with:

Definitely similar but not it obviously.

Anyway, I'm rewatching season 3 still and during Invisible Hand of Fate the OSI guy that Brock talks to at the end looks and sounds a lot like Hatred. Coincidence or :spergin:?

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 23, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

No, that's Hatred. He puts on the Guild ring and everything.
E: Also in the credits as Sgt. Haine.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 23, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa.

An actual house in NJ, which is where The Monarch's parents' plane was said in the show to have crashed. Gotta give it to the creators.

e: VVV possibly. I saw it somewhere else, but may have missed it if it was posted here as well.

Monarch definitely has some Jersey DNA in him. You can just tell it from his looks. The Monarch butterflies also 'summer' in Cape May, NJ.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Dynamite Dog posted:

Anyway, I'm rewatching season 3 still and during Invisible Hand of Fate the OSI guy that Brock talks to at the end looks and sounds a lot like Hatred. Coincidence or :spergin:?

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, that's Hatred. He puts on the Guild ring and everything.
E: Also in the credits as Sgt. Haine.
Notice how that episode comes right before the 2.0 version of Sergeant Hatred is introduced. And I could have sworn he had a higher rank than that in the O.S.I. before he defected.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved that Brainulo didn't realize the obvious setup of making the Team Venture members fight each other and immediately regretted not thinking of it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Huh, neat. That building is 10 minutes away from me. Maybe I'll go check it out sometime.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sash! posted:

I like to believe there's a Mrs Colonel Gentleman out there.

Wasn't he married to Dr. Quymm's mom at one point?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pick posted:

I don't know if you get credit for characters you inherit.

But that's all of them. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Install Gentoo posted:

But that's all of them. :v:

No, it isn't? Dr. Zin is from Jonny Quest, he existed long before Venture Bros. was even conceived. Dr. Orpheus and Vendata and everyone else were created for the purposes of the show. Including Zin is different than inventing a new minority character.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

Wasn't he married to Dr. Quymm's mom at one point?

Yeah he was at Jonas Sr.'s key party with his wife, who I think was her mother.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pick posted:

No, it isn't? Dr. Zin is from Jonny Quest, he existed long before Venture Bros. was even conceived. Dr. Orpheus and Vendata and everyone else were created for the purposes of the show. Including Zin is different than inventing a new minority character.

The joke is most of the characters are just direct copies of older characters, or pastiches of a few specific older characters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also noticed on second watch the vaguely-disguised trope from Prometheus in regards to Dr. Entmann (the tiny guy) getting crushed by the rocking chair because he ran lengthwise to the descending leg, when he could've run sideways or diagonally and lived.

In regards to Zin, though - for as many characters as they brought in/back I'm surprised Action Johnny didn't get into one episode, maybe even as an inmate/patient at the loony bin.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also noticed on second watch the vaguely-disguised trope from Prometheus in regards to Dr. Entmann (the tiny guy) getting crushed by the rocking chair because he ran lengthwise to the descending leg, when he could've run sideways or diagonally and lived.

That's not from Prometheus, I've seen cartoons as a child that had that same thing too. Also, Indiana Jones and the boulder (although I guess he would have been trapped in that cave or whatever, it's been a while).

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone caught the call-back to Hatred's trouble with buttons when at night? He was afraid of mixing-up the lights and the lasers in the X-1, he ended up firing a missile in his tank.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Not was I was expecting as a season finale but a fun setup episode. I'm wondering what happens to Dean next season: does he accept whats going on and use it to go back to how he was, like Hank seems to have, or does he grow and keep up with the experiments they alluded to during the season?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In regards to Zin, though - for as many characters as they brought in/back I'm surprised Action Johnny didn't get into one episode, maybe even as an inmate/patient at the loony bin.

He was busy putting herpe in someone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I kept waiting for a "here's what Dean has been up to" episode because they didn't show him doing much and there were the cuts on his arms and the like but the Myra episode didn't quite do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

X_Toad posted:

Anyone caught the call-back to Hatred's trouble with buttons when at night? He was afraid of mixing-up the lights and the lasers in the X-1, he ended up firing a missile in his tank.

I was too busy laughing at how his hatred and anger for Gary turns into,"Oh God Gary get out of there you might get hurt! :ohdear:"

Now that Dr. Mrs The Monarch is going to be The Monarch's boss, I wonder if The Monarch will take on 21 as his new #2? The Monarch and The Viceroy vs Dr. Venture and Sergeant Hatred has a nice ring to it.