Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That sounds more like an intake leak or running real lean to me.

How was the valve adjust? How many did you have to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southwade
Jul 8, 2013
Changed the oil today. I put Shell Rotella synthetic in it at 500 miles, and now again at 5200. I'm fairly certain it didn't need the fresh oil but I did it anyway. I ride downtown quite a bit and I'm pretty rough on the throttle as well.

So far I'm loving this oil. I switched to it in my last bike at 6,000 and I kicked myself for waiting so long. The transmission's performance, fuel economy, and engine vibration were all noticeably better after the change.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Everything little thing I do to my Monster just makes it better and better. Today, I stuck in new spark plugs and tweaked the air bypass. It's no longer running hot and revs drop to idle soon as I roll off the throttle.

Z3n posted:

That sounds more like an intake leak or running real lean to me.

How was the valve adjust? How many did you have to do?

Zen, I had a feeling the problem was the air bypass because I opened them up in the winter when my bike kept stalling. After the valve adjust, the bike went from idling poorly, to idling ~2500rpm.

Surprisingly, both of my intake valves were in spec, but the exhaust valves were whack. I'm surprised I didn't ruin the engine, one of my exhaust openers so tight, I don't the valve was able to fully close.

Adjusting the opening shims was fairly easy, I just wet-sanded them until they were in spec. It just took a while because they were both off by quite a bit. The closing shims were a little trickier. I'm not out of the woods yet because I must have made a bad measurement or calculation. The closing shim on my vertical cylinder is still a little loose, but it's good enough to ride until I can make it to the shop.

Other than that:

A buddy of mine who has a Monster 800 dropped by.
We installed new timing belts, and tried to change his rear sprocket, unfortunately we couldn't get it off. We tried a 36" breaker bar, and an impact gun, that 41mm bolt wouldn't budge.

Partial Octopus showed up too with new CBR250. He's still breaking it in, so we didn't wrench on it, but it's a sweet bike.

After we put the tools away, we took a spin through town. Fun day.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Installed my sexy EBR brake rotor today. It's a nice piece of machinery. Milled on the outside and inside edges and 1mm thinner than the factory piece. Plus no lame cross drilling.

Probably took longer to clean the wheel than to do the functional part of the job.

Not sure if it's placebo or legit but I swear I feel the front end handle bumps more gracefully which is a high bar for the Uly.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 15, 2013

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Last Thursday I flipped my mirrors so they're below the bars, relocated my front turn sigs to the forks, and dropped my headlight down. Then I rode from Seattle to Bend, OR over the weekend and took a picture.

(On top of Pilot Butte. The mountains in the distance, from left to right: Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top, and (two of the three) Sisters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Braincloud posted:

Last Thursday I flipped my mirrors so they're below the bars, relocated my front turn sigs to the forks, and dropped my headlight down. Then I rode from Seattle to Bend, OR over the weekend and took a picture.

(On top of Pilot Butte. The mountains in the distance, from left to right: Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top, and (two of the three) Sisters

I'm sure I've said this before but: I don't like Harleys at all, but that is pretty sweet. Will moving your light that far down affect your visibility at night?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Slavvy posted:

I'm sure I've said this before but: I don't like Harleys at all, but that is pretty sweet. Will moving your light that far down affect your visibility at night?

I ride a Harley - I don't ride at night :clint: #stereotypicalharley

But seriously, it doesn't affect the throw that much from what I could tell when re-aiming it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Very nice. I love riding down to Bend; that was my last stop on the way home to Everett from Austin. Did you check out McKenzie Pass? It's fantastic riding.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

clutchpuck posted:

Very nice. I love riding down to Bend; that was my last stop on the way home to Everett from Austin. Did you check out McKenzie Pass? It's fantastic riding.

I haven't ridden that one yet. I've been on every other route out of Bend tho, and did some very spirited riding back when I had my GSXR750. One hidden gem we found years ago is NF-46 north out of Detroit Lake - beautiful curvy ride along the river and through the woods.

20 from Sisters to Albany is fun as well. Oregon's DOT is loving awesome and their roads are almost always in pristine condition.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Dropped it >< And somehow can't find a set of replacement forks for an '04 SV650 now between ebay, craigslist, and svrider. Stupid bent forks. Otherwise only damage was a broken but still usable brake lever and a sad bar-end mirror. Thanks, frame sliders! Gonna try to do an oil change and fork swap this weekend if I can find parts quickly enough.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You tried loosening the triple bolts (top at once, bottom at once) and giving the bars a good twist back and forth before calling the forks bent?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

You tried loosening the triple bolts (top at once, bottom at once) and giving the bars a good twist back and forth before calling the forks bent?

I'll make sure when I get home, there's definitely a noticeable bend in the right inner fork tube though. Thanks for the advice!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Well they settled back in a little bit, but definitely still twisted. I'm gonna gas it up tonight and see if it rides passably well for now while I try to find another set of forks. It'll probably be better than the '88 Honda Hawk GT I'm borrowing with what seem to be all-original forks and a dying clutch. Thanks for the help, though!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nur_Neerg posted:

Dropped it >< And somehow can't find a set of replacement forks for an '04 SV650 now between ebay, craigslist, and svrider. Stupid bent forks. Otherwise only damage was a broken but still usable brake lever and a sad bar-end mirror. Thanks, frame sliders! Gonna try to do an oil change and fork swap this weekend if I can find parts quickly enough.
You sound like a previous owner, I dropped it in the driveway... bent the forks, destroyed the gauge cluster, put a hole in the headers, ripped off the subframe, and dented both wheels. But don't get replacement sv forks, now is the time for a gsxr front end.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Zool posted:

You sound like a previous owner, I dropped it in the driveway... bent the forks, destroyed the gauge cluster, put a hole in the headers, ripped off the subframe, and dented both wheels. But don't get replacement sv forks, now is the time for a gsxr front end.

Holy poo poo that's an impressive amount of damage. I'm quite grateful the PO threw frame sliders on this thing. I've been debating the GSX-R front end, but I like my straight bars, and don't really want to deal with getting mounts fabbed up for the gauges/headlight ><

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nur_Neerg posted:

Holy poo poo that's an impressive amount of damage. I'm quite grateful the PO threw frame sliders on this thing. I've been debating the GSX-R front end, but I like my straight bars, and don't really want to deal with getting mounts fabbed up for the gauges/headlight ><

Buy my bike, keeps yours for parts. GSXR front end with flat bars.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Coredump posted:

Buy my bike, keeps yours for parts. GSXR front end with flat bars.

Ha if I could afford another bike... How much do complete GSX-R front ends go for anyhow? I'm not entirely sure if it's feasible, but I really wouldn't mind a much nicer front suspension.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n post incoming in 3.. 2.. 1..

I'm in the Atlanta area and I've seen them pop up for $300-$500 on craigslist.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Svrider has all the info you need if you're willing to use the search function, unlike most of the idiots there.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Z3n posted:

Svrider has all the info you need if you're willing to use the search function, unlike most of the idiots there.

Yeah, I've looked around a bit. I'm just debating whether I want to bother or just grab a kit from Traxxion and swap the internals out down the road.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I did a little bit of exhaust wrapping on my mufflers to keep my date from melting any more shoes. It's not the nicest work, one of the tows got caught on something and rather ruined the look of one side. I guess it still is functional, and at this point that is all that really matters.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Finally got around to doing the 3x3 air box mod and JD jet kit on my DRZ, very noticeable difference. The exhaust doesn't backfire on decel anymore, the throttle is more crisp and responsive and the power flattens out a lot higher in the rev range now. So glad I got it done.

And yes, I'm the guy who does bike work on the sidewalk in front of the house

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

And yes, I'm a loving legend who does bike work on the sidewalk in front of the house

There we go. If only I were so bold. And didn't have a garage or an enormous hillside for a driveway.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Finally got around to doing the 3x3 air box mod and JD jet kit on my DRZ, very noticeable difference. The exhaust doesn't backfire on decel anymore, the throttle is more crisp and responsive and the power flattens out a lot higher in the rev range now. So glad I got it done.

And yes, I'm the guy who does bike work on the sidewalk in front of the house

Pro move puts that bike on the neighbor's grass for working. Heh

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Adjusted my suspension - last time I was on the freeway I had panniers on with the rear preload set for luggage. Turns out luggage preload sucks for riding naked; makes the front-end all twitchy and wobbly going in a straight line. Such is a lightweight tourer.

So I reduced the preload on the back.

Now it's OK with going straight at 90mph but it's more of a wrestling match to get it leaned into turns. And by "more of a wrestling match" I mean I actually have to push on the handlebar, before I only had to think about leaning in and it would do it. Amazing what a single minor adjustment will do.

On top of everything I feel like the suspension is pretty worn out at this point with 55k mi and counting; winter time will be suspension rebuild time, plus an upgrade to the 2007 model progressive rate fork springs.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Commodore_64 posted:

I did a little bit of exhaust wrapping on my mufflers to keep my date from melting any more shoes. It's not the nicest work, one of the tows got caught on something and rather ruined the look of one side. I guess it still is functional, and at this point that is all that really matters.

So I took her out again, and before getting on the bike she said something along the lines of "OH, is this where I put my shoes?" as she pointed out the passenger foot pegs. She took the MSF and rides a scooter, but I guess I shouldn't make assumptions. We both learned something out of this at least.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I played around with a new exhaust and melted a fairing like an idiot. I cut out the damaged plastic and put it back together so I could still get to work. I'll fix it up properly this weekend hopefully.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There, I fixed it.

How did I manage to mount the light on a mounting plate broken in six pieces and two of them missing? Why, structural cardboard, of course :v:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Decided to tackle the carbs finally. It's been lean as crap since I moved to sea level from 5000ft.

Well, the mixture screws were all over the place. One was 2 turns out, one was 6 turns out. I set them all to 2.5 turns out, except for the one that's siezed. That one is soaking in WD-40 until I can pick up some kroil or something. I also cleaned the air filter and got some oil on it.

Three of the four vacuum plugs were rotted away; I got some vinyl ones from NAPA that are rated for fuel.

So, hopefully having no vacuum leaks and mixture screws that are set back to factory will help it run better. I do need to pick up some new needles, though; these are the California edition and don't have the notches for the clips; I'm just shimming them with washers, and I think I'm out of travel range.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Decided to tackle the carbs finally. It's been lean as crap since I moved to sea level from 5000ft.

Well, the mixture screws were all over the place. One was 2 turns out, one was 6 turns out. I set them all to 2.5 turns out, except for the one that's siezed. That one is soaking in WD-40 until I can pick up some kroil or something. I also cleaned the air filter and got some oil on it.

Three of the four vacuum plugs were rotted away; I got some vinyl ones from NAPA that are rated for fuel.

So, hopefully having no vacuum leaks and mixture screws that are set back to factory will help it run better. I do need to pick up some new needles, though; these are the California edition and don't have the notches for the clips; I'm just shimming them with washers, and I think I'm out of travel range.

What kind of bike is it? Mixture screws can end up all over the place once you tune for best idle. They might have been wacky to compensate for the rotten plugs.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tamir Lenk posted:

What kind of bike is it? Mixture screws can end up all over the place once you tune for best idle. They might have been wacky to compensate for the rotten plugs.

'02 Bandit 1200. I haven't done anything more than routine maintenance on it since I got it a couple years ago; it's just time for a general tune-up. Looking at plugs today.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I took a lollipop lights and an 80's brake light off and replaced it with an integrated tail light intended for a CBR.

In action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e368R4ttjCE

The mod was rather extensive. The light is held on with 3M automotive tape and a truckload of silicone black caulk. That poo poo is pretty permanent, but I'm somewhat nervous about lights being held over the wheel with tape. I may go the extra mile and fab a bracket to fit up on the sub fender, but it's a wild series of bends and I'm not sure it would actually hold anything on anyway.

This is what was cut off:

Other than that it was cutting steel with the dremel, putting some chrome trim stuff over the cut so the cables wouldn't get cut to bits, and extending the CBR lights wires to extend across the long V-Max fender.

Assuming it doesn't promptly fall off, I will say it is a great improvement. I throw those bolt LED's in the mix and spliced them into the running lights so the plate gets lit and all is legal here in plate light requiring Illinois.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

'02 Bandit 1200. I haven't done anything more than routine maintenance on it since I got it a couple years ago; it's just time for a general tune-up. Looking at plugs today.

Having taken off the carbs a few times for maintenance now, I'd honestly say just soak the entire thing in carb cleaner once all the needles are out then blow compressed air through it to get out all the gunk. How many miles? While you're at it, you might as well inspect and clean the alternator/generator. There are four dampers ($3 each) in the alternator that dry up and crack and cause lots of noise that would be worth looking at, considering how easy they are to access. I also have a torque spec diagram for every bolt on the bike I can send you for all maintenance if you want.

In other news, I discovered today that not only did the person who installed this 1216 kit put on the wrong head gasket, he put it on backwards. Ugh christ. I mean, it runs fine-ish I guess, but if I'm already leaking a quart of oil every 400 miles out of my valve stems, I might as well just drop the whole loving engine and start replacing parts since I have the proper gasket in my garage anyway. Just gotta get the stems and new head bolts then. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dont soak anything in carb cleaner thats not fully metal. Carb cleaner destroys anything rubber.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

Dont soak anything in carb cleaner thats not fully metal. Carb cleaner destroys anything rubber.

Yeah. That one mixture screw is well and truly stuck. Two days of soaking with several different penetrating oils and it won't budge. With 3/4 screws adjusted to 3 turns out, the bike starts and idles fine with no choke now, so there's an improvement. I'll probably pick all the parts up in a couple weeks for a full carb rebuild. 4 new needles and 4 110/112.5 mains, plus all the gaskets, seals, and springs. Anyone got a good place for carb parts like that? $12/needle and $8/main adds up fast with four carbs.

I also stretched out the spring for the vacuum petcock so it doesn't leak anymore. This means I've physically put my hands on literally every component of the fuel system in the last two days, and every part of the intake system except the valves.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Just finished putting on my new Yoshi pipe. Looks and sounds fantastic. Thanks go to WildWanderer and his awesome garage.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

I think I posted the damage here the other day but I have since made progress. I installed a new exhaust the other day and was pretty happy until I melted the lower fairing on my bike. I cut out the melted plastic so I could ride it to work still.

This weekend I managed to patch up the section.

This is clay I bought from Hot Dollar for a couple of dollars. Just used it to make a mould.

Does this look good enough to not be hugely noticeable? I'm fairly happy with it. Does anyone in SA Mart cut custom stickers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FluffyDice posted:

I think I posted the damage here the other day but I have since made progress. I installed a new exhaust the other day and was pretty happy until I melted the lower fairing on my bike. I cut out the melted plastic so I could ride it to work still.

This weekend I managed to patch up the section.

This is clay I bought from Hot Dollar for a couple of dollars. Just used it to make a mould.

Does this look good enough to not be hugely noticeable? I'm fairly happy with it. Does anyone in SA Mart cut custom stickers?

That's an astonishingly good job and literally noone would notice unless they had the exact same bike as yours.

Does it sound like a moto3 bike now? Yes is the only acceptable answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Shifting down sounds amazing now in my opinion. A small practical bonus is that it is easier to get it out of the bike shed without opening both doors. With the old pipe it was a 2 point turn or the pipe would hit a door.