Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm actually studying sociology in graduate school right now! And it has definitely not helped me with my social skills! And yeah maybe I'm not cut out to be a revolutionary so I guess I should content myself with being a revolutionary rear end kisser who kisses the asses of the real revolutionaries and gets their coffee. Then maybe they'll keep me tied up in their sexy revolutionary dungeon and let me smoke weed if I've been nice enough.

Yeah so anyway, how about those law schools? I'm glad this thread has convinced me not to apply, but I really hope things will turn out awesomely for all of you super duper law goons!

Edit: Yeah I'm a stupid and childish dummy and I'm pretty embarrassed that this post is at the top of this page! Oh well, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Edit 2: Seriously though, I'm really sorry about my terrible posting and for being such an idiot. It's a really good thing that I will never ever pass on my genes!

Math Debater fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What the gently caress just happened

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Math Debater posted:

I'm actually studying sociology in graduate school right now! And it has definitely not helped me with my social skills! And yeah maybe I'm not cut out to be a revolutionary so I guess I should content myself with being a revolutionary rear end kisser who kisses the asses of the real revolutionaries and gets their coffee. Then maybe they'll keep me tied up in their sexy revolutionary dungeon and let me smoke weed if I've been nice enough.

Yeah so anyway, how about those law schools? I'm glad this thread has convinced me not to apply, but I really hope things will turn out awesomely for all of you super duper law goons!

Edit: Yeah I'm a stupid and childish dummy and I'm pretty embarrassed that this post is at the top of this page! Oh well, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Edit 2: Seriously though, I'm really sorry about my terrible posting and for being such an idiot. It's a really good thing that I will never ever pass on my genes!

I love you for you. Just the way you are. <3

That said, law school is a terrible idea.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Math Debater posted:

blah blah blah sex, blah blah blah weed

Oh hey, I drew a comic about people like you

(this is the best case scenario and everyone at your TTT will be tripping over each other for these jobs)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I feel like I went to law school with people who are like our new friend, Math Debater.

They are not happy people right now, and law school is what dulled that shine of life right out of them.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I'm not sure I went to law school with anyone like Math Debater, because usually the people who made the same assumptions had the good sense to not be so self-deprecating.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What the gently caress just happened

I'm looking at his post history and I think he backs down and cowers at the slightest criticism.

GO TO LAW SCHOOL BE A DIVORCE LAWYER PRACTICE IN DALLAS.

I could use more opposing counsel like you.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Gonna renew the fantasy football league here soon. Considering doing a keeper league; if I did this, would you all be up for starting fresh or what?

Any other ideas/comments?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are there many (read: any) Canadian Law Goons that post in this topic? I wrote the LSAT last year and I had some questions about the application process, whether a score of 163 is worth a crap to get into a Canadian Law School, and just in general what your work experience has been like.

To any goon that's willing, could you walk me through what an average day for you would be like?

OKAY finally getting around to this.

* The application process is pure poo poo and time-wasting and just ugh. You might as well apply to every school that's in a city you don't mind living in, because the cost really won't be that bad with our mighty dozen or so schools.
* A 163 is not crap but I hope your GPA is rockin'.
* My work experience has been a-okay. I turned down an articling offer in 2L summer and didn't get another for a drat year. But my articles were fine and I got hired back and am drat near a sole practitioner with a salary. I work in crim defence.

~ A DAY IN THE LIFE ~

8:00 - leave for court(s).
9:00 - get to court. This is either for random adjournments, a bail hearing, a plea, a judicial pre-trial, or a trial. Any of these could take thirty minutes or the entire day. The majority of this job is waiting for something to happen.
10:00 - oh hey that was quick. Off to the next court. It's entirely possible I'm leaving a message for duty counsel for a matter to be held down until I get there.
1:00 - done at court. Off to lunch or the office or home. If you have a trial that's actually running, this is the perfect time to prep your afternoon.
2:00 - in the office. Check with assistant which idiots have been calling from jail.
2:05 - play with office cat.
2:15 - fire up the computer and do whatever. Research, writing, Toronto Star.
3:00 - Crown pre-trial. Quickly review the file I need to discuss. Call the Crown and bullshit for a while about their position and do a trial estimate. If it's a Legal Aid file, make sure to inflate the trial estimate so that a Judicial pre-trial is required (2 extra billable hours allowed!) ("Of course jurisdiction is in issue, how can I be sure that Yonge and Dundas Square is actually in the City of Toronto in the Province of Ontario?").
3:15 - back to the computer.
4:00 - nap on the boardroom couch with the office cat
4:30 - meet with the boss and talk about whatever. Help him with computer issues and other things that have buttons and use electricity (he's only 40 but holy poo poo old people are bad at everything).
5:30 - prep some poo poo for tomorrow.
6:00 - ~peace out~
6:05 - holy poo poo gently caress Toronto traffic
6:06 - take calls from in-custody clients while stuck in traffic.
7:15 - home.
7:16 - take calls from in-custody clients.
8:00 - haha, work at 8? gently caress you. (okay maybe if I have a trial to prep).

That's an average day. Often I'll take detours when going from A to B to pick up money, pick up disclosure, go to jail, or meet with a client's family for whatever reason (usually bail review).

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

tau posted:

Gonna renew the fantasy football league here soon. Considering doing a keeper league; if I did this, would you all be up for starting fresh or what?

Any other ideas/comments?

I haven't played with you guys before, but I'd join if there's room. Keeper or not, though my regular league is non-keeper, so that might be a fun change of pace.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, my GPA's at a 3.71 so maybe it's not rockin' enough. :sigh:

Guess I'll have to bust my rear end this year if I want to make it in.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm a prick for not putting this in the first place, thank you very much for taking the time to detail a day out for me. It's really good to get a feel for what an average day is like, and that sure sounds like it beats the hell out of shovelling grain from a bin. Also, having an office cat around is pretty. :3:

A good friend of our family's offered to let me shadow him for a day, so I think I'm going to take him up on it to get a firsthand impression too.

Again, I really appreciate you doing that for me, thank you.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 22, 2013

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, my GPA's at a 3.71 so maybe it's not rockin' enough. :sigh:

I personally think you're fine and are sitting at average, or just slightly above or below, depending on the school.

Every school has an admissions profile where they provide the average LSAT and GPA for the last incoming year. Some schools even give you a breakdown of how many students they took for each LSAT/GPA combination.

Also, schools in Canada are weird and are sometimes more about LSAT/GPA. Where you're from and your experience can override your scores. I know someone who got into U of T, McGill, Dalhousie, UVic, and UBC, but not U of A (likely because he's from BC and went to school in Ontario for his Masters). There are people who got into U of A but not U of S or U of C (for my year, U of A definitely had a higher LSAT/GPA average).

Just apply and you'll never know. I didn't expect to get in because my 2nd year marks were considered as part of my "last 60 credits" at the time of application. Things are just weird up here.

EDIT: Because I didn't go into work yesterday (i.e. Sunday but I went in briefly on Saturday), I went in at 4:30 a.m. this morning. Mondays. Tsk tsk.

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 22, 2013

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I've finally reached the pinnacle of patent examinering. A 102 rejection without art.

Claims are directed to a database comprising data objects without claiming that the data is actually used in any way, rejected under official notice of a database and the printed matter doctrine.

I'm glad someone is fighting back against crap like that.

On the other hand, if you just allowed it, maybe they'll RCE you so they can get a patent that's not laughably unenforceable on its face.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

quote:

It was only when I suggested that a mere fraction of the world’s Big Law firms would survive another decade or two that I grasped the bone-fatiguing chore of running such a business. Theiss wouldn’t endorse the premise, but he didn’t exactly refute it, either. Demand had stopped growing, he told me. There was “substantial overcapacity.” Billable hours were way down industry-wide. “I don’t think anybody who follows the profession would suggest that this is only a temporary situation,” he said. The longer Theiss spoke, the bleaker the picture became. Finally, Columbus, the marketing director, attempted to steer the discussion in a more upbeat direction.

“I think it’s fair to say as well, as the general economy improves ... legal demand should increase,” he interjected brightly.

But Theiss cut him off. “Uh, OK,” he said, looking rather skeptical. “I mean, maybe.”

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113941/big-law-firms-trouble-when-money-dries

A law degree is worth $1 million. :)

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 22, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

1. Some Chicago firm has been going downhill for 30 years.
2. NR's editor blew all the money on irrelevant Bob Odenkirk pictures and had to get his 14 year-old to design the cover.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

joat mon posted:

1. Some Chicago firm has been going downhill for 30 years.
2. NR's editor blew all the money on irrelevant Bob Odenkirk pictures and had to get his 14 year-old to design the cover.

"Some Chicago firm" that is currently #30 in the Vault 100, the 19th highest grossing law firm in the world (by 2012 revenue, anyway), and the 11th largest in the U.S. by number of attorneys.

The cover is pretty amateurish, though, for a supposedly respectable magazine.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 22, 2013

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I was pretty sure it was a photoshop until I clicked the link, actually.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

I was pretty sure it was a photoshop until I clicked the link, actually.

Although it looks more like an issue of High Times magazine, it is genuine, apparently.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After about four solid weeks of a perpetual "get up, study, go to sleep and have legal nightmares, get up and repeat," I think I have hit an event horizon. Here I am studying for the bar before it drops next week, sitting at my kitchen table outlining agency while a three hour playlist of Super Sentai opening themes blares throughout my house because I got sick of literally every other song ever.

Yep, I think I can say that this is the moment my sanity finally left me.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

MechaX posted:

After about four solid weeks of a perpetual "get up, study, go to sleep and have legal nightmares, get up and repeat," I think I have hit an event horizon. Here I am studying for the bar before it drops next week, sitting at my kitchen table outlining agency while a three hour playlist of Super Sentai opening themes blares throughout my house because I got sick of literally every other song ever.

Yep, I think I can say that this is the moment my sanity finally left me.
I studied corps, agency and partnership today and went for a long run. The workout always helps out with perspective, imo.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 23, 2013

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I am very quickly nearing the "gently caress it all" zen-like state. Unfortunately, the lead-up to that is the "oh dear god I'm going to fail" stress-no sleep-distracted studying-more stress cycle.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Hey guys today I woke up, dropped by wife off at the airport, took forty minutes to look over a few outlines, and then have been watching a shitton of Star Trek DS9 ever since -- which is appropriate, as now I'm coming to the end of Season 7, and I started watching it on Netflix back when I started law school.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't know how anyone has the fortitude to look at this poo poo for more than an hour these days. Buuuurnout.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

It's obviously supposed to be a parody of ambulance chaser billboards.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

Hey guys today I woke up, dropped by wife off at the airport, took forty minutes to look over a few outlines, and then have been watching a shitton of Star Trek DS9 ever since -- which is appropriate, as now I'm coming to the end of Season 7, and I started watching it on Netflix back when I started law school.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't know how anyone has the fortitude to look at this poo poo for more than an hour these days. Buuuurnout.

Just finished Ep. 24 of Season 4. So good.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

az jan jananam posted:

Yes, I recognize what they made a poorly-conceived attempt at trying to do. That doesn't stop it looking like crap, though.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I think it's actually a great cover and nails the symbolism of the legal field circling the drain. I mean duh it looks like crap, the offensive garish gradients, improper font mixing, it's all calling on the tawdry classless future of law firms.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 23, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcturas posted:

During Swotvac one year (whatever you Yanks call the pre-exam study period) I managed to start and finish Mass Effect 2 and Contract law study in the space of like 48 hours.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Yes, I recognize what they made a poorly-conceived attempt at trying to do. That doesn't stop it looking like crap, though.

I think it looks good. It's supposed to be a particular thing and it looks like that thing and it's funny and isn't actually ugly or painful to look at, it's just not professional looking, which is the point.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

LordPants posted:

During Swotvac one year (whatever you Yanks call the pre-exam study period) I managed to start and finish Mass Effect 2 and Contract law study in the space of like 48 hours.

Wow that is pretty baller. I pretty much spent my reading periods locked inside drinking my piss and hallucinating from sleep deprivation.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

MoFauxHawk posted:

I think it looks good. It's supposed to be a particular thing and it looks like that thing and it's funny and isn't actually ugly or painful to look at, it's just not professional looking, which is the point.

Does it look like that thing? I mean, I can see what they're going for, kinda, but they don't really capture it, which is one of my problems with it--if you're going to sell out in the direction of amateurish, you should be sure to hit the nail on the head, and they don't, at least not to me. And Bob Odenkirk is a distraction--he just makes you go, "hey, it's. . .that guy."

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

az jan jananam posted:

You guys do all know that it's the attorney (Saul) from Breaking Bad, and that the entire cover is essentially a riff on his sleazeball attorney character, right?

I assume everyone knows that and there is some kind of typical Something Awful meta-joke going on here with all the comments, but just in case people don't know, there it is.

Does it look like that thing? I mean, I can see what they're going for, kinda, but they don't really capture it, which is one of my problems with it--if you're going to sell out in the direction of amateurish, you should be sure to hit the nail on the head, and they don't, at least not to me. And Bob Odenkirk is a distraction--he just makes you go, "hey, it's. . .that guy."

Okay, you apparently do know who it is. Then I just have no idea what you are all talking about. Back to work for me.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Okay, you apparently do know who it is. Then I just have no idea what you are all talking about. Back to work for me.

Actually, I know him from Mr. Show--maybe I'm missing the joke by not watching Breaking Bad. :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Actually, I know him from Mr. Show--maybe I'm missing the joke by not watching Breaking Bad. :shrug:

It's a fairly key ingredient of the joke, yeah.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a fairly key ingredient of the joke, yeah.

Ah, then maybe it makes more sense.

For content, we've had Campos's take on the $1 million law degree, now here's Tamanaha:

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-million-dollar-law-degree-study.html

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Oh no! If you only know him from Mr. Show, then you'll think of his white shoe law firm partner persona!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Arcturas posted:

It's really great! I always liked TNG well enough, but was enticed by DS9 because of the promise of a serial storyline which I am a big sucker for. It's a little stilted and at times downright silly (especially when compared to other excellent/fun serial television shows like Battlestar Galactica and Supernatural), but overall it has some really great characters and plot lines.

Also, I see why people like Klingons as much as they do. Fighting, drinking, and rough sex? What's there not to like? Fat nerds just had to go and ruin it. This is why we can't have nice things!

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Green Crayons posted:

I've come close to this but regrettably there are some outlines I haven't really had an opportunity to look at much, and some outlines I've looked at but are commonly tested and I need to stick more buzzwords in my head.

Though, at this point, much of the studying is just to make me feel comfortable when I start wondering if I prepared enough more than anything else.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MechaX posted:

Here I am studying for the bar before it drops next week, sitting at my kitchen table outlining agency while a three hour playlist of Super Sentai opening themes blares throughout my house because I got sick of literally every other song ever.
BROTHER

Adar posted:

I'm gonna quote a few of your posts back to back just to give you an idea of what you come off as right now:

Don't go to law school, do stop smoking weed and pretend to be an adult for a month.
Adar don't hurt 'em

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Solid Lizzie posted:

I've come close to this but regrettably there are some outlines I haven't really had an opportunity to look at much, and some outlines I've looked at but are commonly tested and I need to stick more buzzwords in my head.

Though, at this point, much of the studying is just to make me feel comfortable when I start wondering if I prepared enough more than anything else.

The day before I took the bar, I went to a water park. This was the best possible use of my time that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

After the first day of the bar exam, I came home and made a mashup. I thought up the lyrics while doing a secured transactions question