Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Wizard mercs poo poo all over rogue mercs regardless of group composition or buffs. Once you can hold aggro off of them on Burn, it's like 20k dps higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Vulpes posted:

Is there any compelling reason to take a melee dps merc over a ranged dps merc, or vice versa? I have been looking for parses but the only one I could find is from 3 years ago (but the melee substantially outperforms the ranged).

Unless EQ has changed a lot since I played it last, it seems like the ranged/melee distinction is meaningless as far as mechanics, so I'm just looking for whatever can put out the most dps.

The ranged dps merc will do vastly more damage than the melee dps merc under basically any conditions. Even on Balanced it tends to do almost double what the melee one does on Burn.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Thanks for the answers - glad I didn't trust that old parse I found!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Fishy Joe posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have a druid on FV with like 5k AA but I got bored never finding a group and could never find a decent place to solo. How are you killing them etc.

At the simplest it's like quadding used to be, but your nukes hit 5 at once instead of 4. And I pull 2 or 3 groups of 5 at once, plus an extra one or two to soak up AEs at the end.

Load your 5-target ae nukes, the RoF and VoA ones are on separate timers. So you'll have 4 of those, having them on a multibind is nice. Snare up 16 of the corrupteds and take them to the platform in the NE part of the room. Open with ITC+1st, then into normal TC. Med up then pull the other 11, use Nature's Fury on them. After you med up from that the first set should be respawning. Cycle TC as often as you can.

Keep your aura up along with Black Wolf. Watch your etw aand switch your target to the mob with the most hp. Storm strike and aura hits will wear them down to keep your bunches dying closer together. Toss blessing on mobs as you can during gem downtime when SS is cycling. Your AEs will hit the same 5 in the pile no matter your target. So you want to use your non-AE dmg to balance the mobs down so you can use AEs as long as possible on the last of the pile

The NE platform is a safe spot, don't have to worry about respawns. And it's sized well for kite timing. You should take one akhevan around for a few laps to get the timing down, with cheetah and preincarnation2 you should be pretty safe. Just remember to always run if you think you might be cutting the timing close on a nuke. A death loses a lot more time than one aborted nuke.

I have a bandolier setup with lots of mana return on nuke procs to use on this, plus a shawl. Stretching your mana on the pack without ITC is the only real challenge, you might not want to use NF if your mana pool is low. I do have the advantage of full raid gear, twincast clickie and a rod of dark rites.

EDIT: fixed phone typos and added some info.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 23, 2013

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just reactivated after a break and bought ROF. Am I correct in understanding theres only 2 tiers of group gear? Fear Touched + attunable non vis and then upgraded to tier 2 visibles and no drop non vis?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
There's 4 tiers of RoF, but there's only small differences when going up a tier.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

WetSpink posted:

Started playing this again on Luclin Stromm with 3 friends, we're all fresh characters and level 45 so far. Any tips for gearing up or leveling up aside from random Defiant stuff? we went back to Crescent Reach and did the achieves there to fill up some empty slots like rings/neck/earrings but we're still wearing some stuff from the tutorial due to bad luck with RNG.

We've been running the Kaesora Mission outside the bank in PoK for exp/defiant drops and are wondering if there's anything else like that available? We tried LDoN but the exp there seemed glacial in comparison. Group at the moment is Cleric, Bard, Monk, Ranger, Enchanter and Shaman. None of us has really played the game since about 2001 so we're pretty clueless as to all the new stuff.

Also wondering about making more plat since spells are really starting to hurt our limited funds. We only have silver/free accounts at the moment so we can't buy the bag of plat listed in the ISBoxer guide above.

If you're not going to pay for a Gold subscription, I'd recommend you move to Test server. EQ wasn't made to be F2P so you really need a Gold sub to experience the game. I looked through my Mail when I was leveling up on Test and I was doing levels in 10-20 minutes from 25 to 45. Since you can /testbuff to 25, switching to Test and getting back to 45 would only take a few hours at this point. Your group is missing a solid tank (War/Pal/SK). A well-geared Monk or Ranger can tank group content, but if you don't have cash for spells, I doubt they are well geared. As you go up in levels, it'll get worse rather than better unless you gear one of them up a lot. The Bard/Enchanter/Shaman all compete for the same slot in a group and you have all 3. Yes, you could have all of them in a group these days, but they overlap a lot. It's doable, but no ideal. Your choice.

I have no idea about Luclin, but on Test people frequently copy over defiant items and sell them for 100plat or less. It's hard to get defiant gear sub lvl 60 because no one farms it anymore, but at 60 stuff starts showing up and once you hit 70, Elegant Defiant shows up at a decent rate.

For cash, have you checked almarsguides.com? He has leveling guides and some farming stuff. It's not perfect, but it works. If you stay on Luclin or move to Test and are short of cash, just buy spells that increase your DPS. You don't need every new spell. Once you hit 65-70, the cash flows in. For example, in Plane of Fire back in the second castle (C2), the average mob drops 21 plat worth of gems alone. You can run the numbers at eq.magelo.com by looking at the drop rates. A level 68 doomfire soldier/wizard/protector in the C2 area has a 4% drop rate for Blue Diamonds (262plat), 5% for Diamond (210plat) and 4% for Raw Diamond (200plat). It's a great exp/AA spot even without the HotZone bonus (the current lvl 65 Hot Zone is Plane of Air, which is the worst hot zone in the history of hot zones). Killing 1000 mobs in PoFire isn't that hard over a few days/weeks, especially in a group. You should be able to do 50 an hour easily once you are 65 and geared or 70 not geared, so that's 20 hours of game time.

Never go to LDoN for exp. It was horrible at launch and hasn't been any different in the 10+ years since.

Xars fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 23, 2013

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

WetSpink posted:

Any tips for gearing up or leveling up aside from random Defiant stuff?

Go to the hot zones (for optimal exp) and do the corresponding quests from NPC Franklin Teek, which are generally pretty straight forward and reward you with some decent armor.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you ever decide to play on Test, let me know. I can give you millions of plat and sets of Defiant gear, etc.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Is there a guide somewhere to setting up isboxer to using test? Or is it simply adding something to the command line in addition to the patchme thing ?

Xars
Jul 7, 2013
Seting up ISBoxer on Test is the same as setting it up on Live servers.

The only difference is you starting the EQ launcher and choosing whether you want to play on Live or Test.

ISBoxer just runs EQ.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hoohah posted:

Is there a guide somewhere to setting up isboxer to using test? Or is it simply adding something to the command line in addition to the patchme thing ?

Look at the page before this one, someone posted a really nice write up of how to use ISboxer on test.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Thanks, I'll take a look at this when I get home.

I'm not 100% sure on this but it won't severely gently caress up my settings that I have for my live server characters right?

Xars
Jul 7, 2013
No, but just to make sure, create a new box team on test starting with the "Wizard".

If you have an ISBoxer setup for a Live server, you could use the same settings, but to be safe I'd start with something new.

All you really need to do is run the EQ launcher and patch your game files to the Test server and everything should (theoretically) run the same.

But a new setup avoids any issues.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man, I might actually have to set up IsoBoxer or something like it for my little crew I'm building on Zek. I'm so tired of switching over to my mage just to mash Pet Attack but soloing on a bard is even worse.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Hoohah posted:

What you do is load up EQ the normal way through the patcher, let it patch to TEST. Then when you're making your isboxer profile, set game profile to Everquest No Patch. Since you already patched to test, it will bypass all that when you login through isboxer

The pro way of switching between Live and Test is to make a seperate EQ folder for each.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 23, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Xars posted:

Your group is missing a solid tank (War/Pal/SK). A well-geared Monk or Ranger can tank group content, but if you don't have cash for spells, I doubt they are well geared. As you go up in levels, it'll get worse rather than better unless you gear one of them up a lot.

Later on, the monk/ranger really can't tank current content in group gear at all. Trash yes, but you're not going to be killing many RoF nameds with one of those tanking. You really need either an actual tank class or a mage/necro pet to tank the nameds bare minimum

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Don't expect to be able to just drop a tank class into your box crew either (Like I did :lol:) poo poo's rough; a lot of camping, a lot of spamming poo poo to stay alive, a lot of investment. I had to switch mains, and I embarrass myself on a daily basis, it's like a totally different game.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I decided to try ISboxer and have been struggling. I can't get my accounts to login every time unless I click through the EULA and login from the login page and then select server and character. It makes it difficult to really test different settings with ISboxer trying to figure it out.

I'm trying a ranger w/ a cleric merc, and a wizard with a tank merc ... but so far it has been pure chaos. I'm not even level 10 yet and having tons of problems. I tried to play the wizard as the main but the ranger doesn't run up and attack things unless I position it so I have to main the ranger so I can get them into melee range and then have the wizard just keep nuking.

It seems really promising so thanks for the guide. I've never boxed and have played the game off and on since 1999.

Am I missing something really simple? I don't understand the keymaps fully yet so I'm just using the one hotbar and at this low level all I really do is just have my wizard nuke. I tried to testcopy to 25 but then I couldn't afford mercs and it was overwhelming at first. I'm sure I can figure this out but initially it is really hard to get used to.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

That's the way I've been logging in the whole time. Only thing isboxer seems to simplify is putting the account name in for you.
You can change setting on the fly through Isboxer suite by doing File->Export to isboxer though.

Honestly, just play more and you'll pick up on things, like "oh i wish I could push one button and make both my chars cast something." Eventually you'll be able to tie some stuff together. Just play more, figure out abilities, how you rotate your damage, etc. After that, just ask whatever questions you have with isboxer.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 25, 2013

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Meowbot posted:

I decided to try ISboxer and have been struggling. I can't get my accounts to login every time unless I click through the EULA and login from the login page and then select server and character. It makes it difficult to really test different settings with ISboxer trying to figure it out.

I'm trying a ranger w/ a cleric merc, and a wizard with a tank merc ... but so far it has been pure chaos. I'm not even level 10 yet and having tons of problems. I tried to play the wizard as the main but the ranger doesn't run up and attack things unless I position it so I have to main the ranger so I can get them into melee range and then have the wizard just keep nuking.

It seems really promising so thanks for the guide. I've never boxed and have played the game off and on since 1999.

Am I missing something really simple? I don't understand the keymaps fully yet so I'm just using the one hotbar and at this low level all I really do is just have my wizard nuke. I tried to testcopy to 25 but then I couldn't afford mercs and it was overwhelming at first. I'm sure I can figure this out but initially it is really hard to get used to.

When boxing, play the melee character as your main and drag the spellcasters along with auto-follow. The wizard only needs 2 hotkeys - assist and nuke. Pull (plow is easier) with the Ranger so that you can control positioning. This is why people suggest spellcasters for boxes. Typically, people play the Tank and drag spellcasters (DPS and healers) so they only have to worry about positioning with one toon.

[Explaining Key Maps]

I'll start with an example and then backtrack to an explanation.

Try this simple setup:

1: On Ranger, make this melee attack; Wizard blank
2: Ranger blank; Wizard assists Ranger
3: Ranger blank; Wizard nuke
=: Ranger blank; Wizard targets Ranger and then follows

For combat, use TAB (Alt-O in EQ and re-assign Target nearest NPC to TAB key) to get your target; run up with the Ranger (Wizard should follow, hit the "=" if not). Hit the "1" key so Ranger starts auto-attack. Then "2" for Wizard to assist. Then spam "3" for Wizard to nuke. If the wizard, stops auto-following the Ranger for whatever reason, tap the "=".

This is extremely basic but a good simple test to understand and get used to the concepts. If you can do this while playing the Ranger and not switching to the Wizards screen and kill the mob, congrats you're using Key Maps. Now you can start to tweak your in-game EQ macro buttons to add more commands/overlap.

[Logging In]

When using ISBoxer, I log in via the old EQ interface. (You don't use the current patcher. You patch before you start using ISBoxer and then close the new EQ launcher.) Your account name should auto-populate, the box with your password should be blank. This is where you turn off Key Maps (click that upper left icon so there are grey arrows) and turn on Repeater (grey arrows become green). Mouse over to your password, click to place your cursor and then type in your password (do both accounts have the same password?). You should see all windows now having your password typed in. Then click Login with your mouse. I don't think I get the EULA, I sometimes have to click through news updates and then get to server select (on Test you only see Test server listed). Then load to Character select. At Character select, you Enter World. If you are having problems with this, is Repeater on? are Key Maps off?

Once you are back in game, turn Repeater off (icon should have grey arrows) and Key Maps back on (icon should have green arrows).

[Test Server]

If you use /testcopy, make sure you are bringing over a bunch of plat to give to your new toons. If you don't have any plat on any Live server, then I'd play on a Live server first with your highest level toons and make some plat. Otherwise, you could start lvl 1 toons on Test but hold off on using /testbuff until you have some plat.

Xars fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 25, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xars posted:

[Test Server]

If you use /testcopy, make sure you are bringing over a bunch of plat to give to your new toons. If you don't have any plat on any Live server, then I'd play on a Live server first with your highest level toons and make some plat. Otherwise, you could start lvl 1 toons on Test but hold off on using /testbuff until you have some plat.

Or you could ask goons for a million plat.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Or you could ask goons for a million plat.

This. I have a million plat on Fironia Vie that I copy over whenever I run out, so if anyone is short on cash on the Test server PM me or just ask on here. I also have elaborate/elegant defiant gear and I wouldn't mind buying an item or two on FV to copy as long as it's not too expensive.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Gear and items in general are a non-issue on test. I've got full visible gear sets and weapons I can testcopy for 71 and 85, plus full vis + nonvis and weapons at 92. Just ask in chat.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My 3 box team that I've been working on is about to hit 80, so in the next week or so when I hit 85 I will probably be asking for some of that Flare :)

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
What killed Cazic Thule in game for good? Really interested in the suddenness of an original god dieing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Kortel posted:

What killed Cazic Thule in game for good? Really interested in the suddenness of an original god dieing.

He died outside of his plane.

When you kill a god in EQ in their own plane, they don't really die. They disperse into the plane and reform a bit later. No big deal to them. Almost any time you see a god outside their own plane, it's an avatar of them. It has some of their power, but is not them. If that dies, it's annoying but far from deadly

The actual even happens in the raid Cazic-Thule's Final stand, lore text and info are here: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5285

He was trapped in the Alaran created bubble attached to the Plane of Dream that became House of Thule. We were 'tricked' into killing him (like we don't kill everything anyways) in his dream manifestation of PoFear by Terris-Thule, in her plans to gain his powers by using the HoT bubble that Moral-Thule and her found.

There's a few other times were gods have died for good. The 13th Rathe council member was slain to form the Rathe Mountains. And what we did in PoTime would have been a disaster for the pantheon if Druzzil Ro hadn't time warped it from existence.

HoT-Voa-RoF have all been part of the story arc involving the capture, death and attempts to gain the power of Cazic-Thule. The lore in HoT is spread between the missions and raids. While in later expansions the raid lore is duplicated into group missions.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
That's sort of a convoluted story. And he's not really dead.

Alara got invaded by Discord and was curb stomped just like everyone else Discord invades. Their gods sacrificed their physical forms, continuing on only in essence, to open a portal to Norrath and a decent chunk of the Alaran people escaped. They hid the continent from the rest of Norrath and largely ignored it for a long time. Then the Taelosians opened up a portal to Kuua and Discord started paying attention to Norrath. We went and kicked Mata Muram's rear end, drawing more attention from Discord, which resulted in a lot of other poo poo that culminated in Ryken, one of the Alaran gods, freaking out because of how much attention we were drawing down.

So he convinced two of the other Alaran gods to help him create a demi-plane inside the Plane of Fear designed to trap and kill a god, and drain their power off, which is where the House of Thule came from. Eventually, Terris Thule finds it, shows it to Morell, and they both decide to be dicks to Cazic, lure him in, put him to sleep, and try to steal his power. Except you show up and kill him while he's trapped in a dream. Terris shows up and tries to steal his power, then gets banished when Ryken, Alra, and Oseka show up to claim Cazic's essence. Morell interferes and takes it for himself, you go dick punch Morell and use a staff to strip Cazic's power, leaving it free for the taking. The three Alaran gods use parts of Cazic's power to try to consolidate control of the Alaran continent, and that's where Veil of Alaris comes in with the Norrathian gods getting super pissed and raising hell.

You go in and in typical fashion loving murder everything, resulting in Cazic's essence being destroyed and blasting a gigantic hole in the roof of the Sepulcher. His essence then coalesces into shards that land all over Norrath, resulting in the Rain of Fear expansion where they're trying to resurrect CT using the power of the shards. The last event in RoF involves his resurrection, I believe, although I don't know of anyone that's posted the actual details of the final event beyond the fight mechanics.

Long story short - virtually everything bad that happens in Norrath is our goddamn fault in the end.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I talked to MrTheDevious about this Tuesday night, but I'm curious for more opinions / further discussions

My EQ play is down to once every 2 weeks with a group of two other guys. Between us, we have 5 92-100 toons [bard, monk, shm, mag, nec] geared well (ROF T1/T2 group stuff) and we are pretty good. We were hoping to just conquer old world content - Luclin, PoP, etc, but apparently 100% of non-instanced raid mobs are kept cleared, so we need some fun stuff to raid.

Kodaji suggested GoD, so we started with Uqua, but that was pretty much a disaster. Nothing really works unless you have 12 players in the zone. We had to illusion-hack through the Gas Chambers, and the rage twins didn't drop their orbs so we couldn't spawn the boss. Presumably the next GoD raids will be equally buggy.

How should we maximize our time investment / nostalgia induced old-raid fervor? What can we whack with minimal pre-raid preparation (ie, tons of group faction or whatnot)

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
You can do most raids from Omens through probably Seeds. Very few of them require any kind of faction grind beyond doing the progression content excepting The Serpent's Spine, and even its grind can be done in a fairly short period of time. The problem you are going to consistently run into is manpower, though. You have the raw firepower, but a ton of the raid events are designed for 10+ people just due to the jobs that have to be done during the fight.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I thought of some other stuff worth doing, too. You can do Txevu/Tacvi to completion for sure, because I've boxed both of those several times. Demiplane is 3mannable and it'll still be a real challenge on some of the events, plus some of the earlier DoDH raids are fun (Queen is a blast). You can also do Deathknell, which drops a really kickass ghost horse mount. Tower's 1groupable but you may run into issues without an SK tanking because some of the fights are going to take ages. I'm guessing that's probably the limit of what a group-geared group can take out. We've one-grouped Conv and some HoT stuff, but that was with a full group of raid geared bros so I'm not sure they're doable in group stuffs

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

bacon! posted:

I talked to MrTheDevious about this Tuesday night, but I'm curious for more opinions / further discussions

My EQ play is down to once every 2 weeks with a group of two other guys. Between us, we have 5 92-100 toons [bard, monk, shm, mag, nec] geared well (ROF T1/T2 group stuff) and we are pretty good. We were hoping to just conquer old world content - Luclin, PoP, etc, but apparently 100% of non-instanced raid mobs are kept cleared, so we need some fun stuff to raid.

No knight or headshot/decap kind of sucks for plowing old raids. Those really help in trivializing content up to Underfoot.

You happened to start out with one of the few raids that actually require extra people and can't be overpowered. There's only 1 or 2 per an expansion that you'll need to worry about.

Plane of Time and Citadel of Anguish can each be requested by anyone and are pretty simple. There are open raid targets in PoR, as well as raids that require quest arcs to complete. DoN requires some faction grinding to request raids, but it's pretty easy and should be done anyways for the bonus AAs. Then you get a ton of dragon slaying raids available.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to get one of my friends to farm the DoN faction, otherwise I think we'll start with DoD.

I thought Plane of Time had some wacky hard # requirement for the first couple waves, but if not we can do that too

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I'd honestly skip DoN. That faction is a HUGE grind and the only fight that's more than a tank and spank is Vish. I can request Vish for you guys sometime if you want to see it, otherwise just skip the 15-20 hours of chain grinding the same missions over and over.

Time had a # requirement in the day because of the time limits. A single person today does more DPS than an entire raid did back then, so you can solo it fine now. You do have to illusion glitch through the doors in each wing during the first 2 phases, then click the tombstone with the glowy red eyes when it ports you to the graveyard to get back to entrance. Otherwise it's super drat easy

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I remember raiding plane of time with 72 people ... that was absolutely ridiculous and the sad thing is when you would wipe on Quarm or something and there are 71 excuses for why you wiped. I don't even have 72 friends on facebook/steam/IRL so I can't imagine what the gently caress that would be like dealing with again.

Well I am going to try the ranger/tank merc, wizard/cleric merc on test and even though I'm very low level it is daunting as gently caress compared to playing just one client. I am sure I will just have to get used to it and I am kind of looking forward to it.

Can anyone donate a little bit of that sweet goon plat or low level gear? My plan is to not run around naked for the first 15 levels like I've been doing and actually have bags and a little bit of money would be nice. I don't know how to log in to my level 90s to get money from them I forgot the password/account name. :(

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Xars posted:

If you're not going to pay for a Gold subscription, I'd recommend you move to Test server. EQ wasn't made to be F2P so you really need a Gold sub to experience the game.

Does a gold sub add something to the game for a full group of real players that I'm missing? All I can see is the raised AA cap which when we get to that bridge we'll cross it (ie. decide if we want to go gold or copy to test) but it shouldn't have a huge negative impact til ~80+ if we're silver right? Since you can't slot a merc in to a full group what other benefits are there?

e: also we all rerolled, the group is now enchanter, necro, mage, druid and cleric with the 6th being an option of the monk, bard, ranger or shaman or merc since one of us upgraded to gold we've been using the tank merc, we got back to 53 on the second day too so we're caught back up again, yay.

Does the ogre tank merc get frontal stun immunity?

WetSpink fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 27, 2013

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

WetSpink posted:

Does a gold sub add something to the game for a full group of real players that I'm missing? All I can see is the raised AA cap which when we get to that bridge we'll cross it (ie. decide if we want to go gold or copy to test) but it shouldn't have a huge negative impact til ~80+ if we're silver right? Since you can't slot a merc in to a full group what other benefits are there?

e: also we all rerolled, the group is now enchanter, necro, mage, druid and cleric with the 6th being an option of the monk, bard, ranger or shaman or merc since one of us upgraded to gold we've been using the tank merc, we got back to 53 on the second day too so we're caught back up again, yay.

Does the ogre tank merc get frontal stun immunity?

The game is going to change at higher levels. IMO, you are going to need your 6th slot to be a true tank (War/Pal/SK). With a true tank, you'll have a strong group. You'll have the holy trinity with sustained DPS from the necro/mage and a 2nd healer on boss fights. While the mage and necro pets can tank, having them as off-tanks with a player main tank is far better. Again, IMO.

The best option for actual players is to go Gold on a Live server, not Test. Gold sub allows you to wear Prestige items, which at higher levels you'll want. So if you are willing to go Gold on a Live server when you get to high levels, then stay on a Live server. But if you just want to play as friends and keep it casual and free, you could go to Test. (IMO)

Xars fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 27, 2013

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
There are no added benefits to subbing on Live vs just playing for free on Test other than a more populated Bazaar. On the other hand, on Test you're automatically granted all of the Veteran AAs, which doesn't happen on Live even if you sub. You can wear Prestige gear either way.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Literally the only reason I would play on Live is if all my friends were there or something. Or if you wanted to get into hardcore raiding. For any other reason, Test is free + all the benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Test, for me, takes away all feeling of accomplishment when you can just copy over infinite everything. I'd much rather play on Live and pay for Gold with plat/kronos than play on test but to each their own.