Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I finished this recently. It's a baby cardigan, made from 100% wool. I followed directions for 12 months size, but my gauge was a little looser so I added some length. We'll see when it fits!

I'm quite happy with it. The pattern is from a Danish booklet called "baby knits on needles 3mm" (loosely translated) by Lene Holm Samsøe. I made my husband sew on the buttons because I always mess up when I try to do that.

Edit to say - I used to really dislike the look of garter stitch, but this yarn suits it SO WELL! I'm pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
Love the baby knits! I wish I could stay focused long enough to finish any of the stuff on my needles so I could start some new baby knits

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
My fiancee and I just our first beginner's knitting class together this weekend. Can anyone recommend any good resources for beginning knitters? (Youtube clips. websites, books, etc.). We are both starting out from scratch with zero knowledge and trying to learn more.

Also, for the beginner class, we decided that our first project would be a basic washcloth/dishcloth. They provided us with some #9 needles and some appropriate cotton yarn. Is there a good "beginner knitter" kit/set that we should look into getting? We don't know what supplies we should have to start out with (although we were told that what we have is enough to finish our washclothes).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For a washcloth, you don't need anything else. Once you start branching out, just buy the supplies you need for each project. At a certain point it'll make sense to buy a set of needles, say, but right now it's not worth shelling out until you know you'll stick with it.

There's tons of free help online -- you don't need to buy any books or any online classes. You can just google what you're trying to do ("knit cast on" or whatever) and pretty much any youtube link will do the job. You should know about ravelry.com, which is an excellent pattern resource and yarn database that also includes forums with, uh, very specific cultures.

Also, if you're not loving the dishcloths, feel free to try something else. I know they set you up with that because it's super easy, but not everyone is into every kind of project, and that's fine. You might feel like it's not worth all that effort to wind up with a dishcloth, but be thrilled to make a cowl or scarf. In that case, go for the cowl or scarf, it'll just take different yarn and maybe (not even necessarily) different needles.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I self taught myself for the most part about a year and a half ago. The best resource I found online was knittinghelp.com. They also make an app with all their videos for $5 but once you download it you don't need Internet to play them so it's become my traveling resource! Love it!

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Peppercat posted:

I self taught myself for the most part about a year and a half ago. The best resource I found online was knittinghelp.com. They also make an app with all their videos for $5 but once you download it you don't need Internet to play them so it's become my traveling resource! Love it!

This. I taught myself several years ago using this site and just playing around. I'm no expert but can work my way around lace, cardigans, and socks.

The one thing I'd like to learn from a class is knitting 2 socks at once. I suffer from second sock syndrome badly.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I generally tell new knitters not to try to learn with cotton yarn, it can be fiddly for people who are just learning because it's got no stretch to it and newer knitters as a general rule tend to knit very tightly. I'd go more for an acrylic, wool, or wool blend so there's more give in the yarn. So if you're finding dishcloths aren't your thing because it seems really tight, switch to a bouncier yarn and try a cowl or even just making a bunch of squares that can later be sewn into something larger.

I also want to second (or third or whatever) Knittinghelp.com, it's a great site and the videos are always very clear and concise.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Agree with the others, knittinghelp is great. I also like the videos at Garnstudio.com, for the same reasons (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/video.php?sort=&thumbnails=&categoryid=1)

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

The best thing about knittinghelp.com for me was that a lot of videos out there can be iffy in quality and their videos are good quality. They also show a lot of techniques in both English and continental styles which I could appreciate since I'm a continental knitter. I've also found knitpicks website to have useful tutorials and videos that are high quality and clear.

I can second the not using cotton yarn. Even an acrylic blend would be better than cotton for learning.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Nthing knittinghelp to learn. I would have never learned from my friends because they all knit english, and coming from crocheting the yarn was too fiddly in my right hand. Continental was awesome and super easy for me to pick up.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
My friends are designing a free collection specifically for beginning knitters with each new set of patterns incorporating new techniques all the way up to a cardigan. The first two patterns meant for total newbies is already out and the scarf would be a nice change from the usual endless rows of garter (plus I genuinely like its style). The pdfs also have tons of video urls embedded throughout if you need help with any particular techniques. I personally wouldn't send the pattern home with someone who's never held a pair of needles in their life, but if you've taken a class and have started the basics I think the scarf is well within your capabilities.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Thank you all so much for your help and all the excellent online resources.
The washcloth/dishcloth was my idea, as I like using them but have grown tired of paying money to get them off Etsy. She (my fiancee) wanted to do a scarf, so I believe that will likely be our next project once we finish our clothes. As I have worked more and more on my first project, I realize what a mistake it was (as you all pointed out)to start out with cotton yarn. I will take it as a learning experience.

I had 2 more questions.

1) I keep seeing English vs. Continental style mentioned. I have more or less put together that I learned English style. Could someone explain what Continental style is (or how it differs) in simple layman's terms? When I attempted to research it online, I could not really understand the explanation as I am still unfamiliar with a lot of knitting terms.

2) I was told that when making something square/rectangular (i.e. where the width is consistent) that I should count the number of loops of yarn (the live yarn?) that I have on the needles to make sure they stay the same. My explanation is pretty horrible as I am still learning the correct names and terms for things, but I hope that made since. My question is, do people actually stop and count these as they do each row? Or do you just knit and assume that if you did everything right that it will be correct? Or is there some trick to this that you use to keep track?

Thanks again for all your help and patience with a newbie!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Someone else can tackle English vs. continental. I knit combination and it's too early in the morning for me.

The loops of yarn over your needle are just called stitches, same as the ones you're done with. If the yarn goes over your needle five times, you have five stitches. The ones currently on your needle are live stitches. I think "the live yarn" usually refers to the end of yarn you're knitting with.

Experienced knitters don't count every row. However, the most common mistakes for new knitters are picking up additional stitches or dropping existing stitches, so if you're just starting, it may be a good idea to count pretty often. One trick is to take some waste yarn in a different color, tie it into little loops, and place those every 5 (or 4, or whatever) stitches. When you reach one, don't knit into it, just slip it to the other needle. By using these stitch markers, you can see at a glance if your stitch count is off, and if so, where the error happened.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

laertes22 posted:

The washcloth/dishcloth was my idea, as I like using them but have grown tired of paying money to get them off Etsy. She (my fiancee) wanted to do a scarf, so I believe that will likely be our next project once we finish our clothes. As I have worked more and more on my first project, I realize what a mistake it was (as you all pointed out)to start out with cotton yarn. I will take it as a learning experience.

I had 2 more questions.

1) I keep seeing English vs. Continental style mentioned. I have more or less put together that I learned English style. Could someone explain what Continental style is (or how it differs) in simple layman's terms? When I attempted to research it online, I could not really understand the explanation as I am still unfamiliar with a lot of knitting terms.

2) I was told that when making something square/rectangular (i.e. where the width is consistent) that I should count the number of loops of yarn (the live yarn?) that I have on the needles to make sure they stay the same. My explanation is pretty horrible as I am still learning the correct names and terms for things, but I hope that made since. My question is, do people actually stop and count these as they do each row? Or do you just knit and assume that if you did everything right that it will be correct? Or is there some trick to this that you use to keep track?

1. English is holding the yarn in the right hand and looping over the needles as you move along. Continental is the opposite, you hold the yard in your left hand and work across. Knittinghelp.com has great videos that show both styles so you can see what the differences are.

2. If I'm working an especially large project, I may stop occasionally to count just to make sure I'm on the right track but I usually don't if I'm knitting a scarf or something less than 12" across. It might be a good idea if just starting out though to count the stitches every 10th row or something, just to make sure you didn't drop any stitches. That means one of the stitches fell off the needle as you moved from right to left.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Does anyone have a preferred method for knitting short rows? I'm in the middle of a free-form project that uses them and my last one did too, but left a bunch of unsightly holes and weird unevenness. Wondering if there's a better method out there I can try this time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Does anyone have a preferred method for knitting short rows? I'm in the middle of a free-form project that uses them and my last one did too, but left a bunch of unsightly holes and weird unevenness. Wondering if there's a better method out there I can try this time.

Shadow Wraps!

Also if your gauge is too loose/too tight for the yarn it can cause short row bumps and holes to be very, very, prominent.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

laertes22 posted:

Just as someone said a few posts up, English is holding the yarn in your right hand, while Continental is holding the yarn in your left. Both styles work the project right-to-left, so it's really a matter of preference and what's more comfortable for you.

Personally, I prefer Continental style, because I learned to crochet first, and being right-handed I hold the yarn in my left for crochet anyway. v:3:v

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

effika posted:

Shadow Wraps!

Also if your gauge is too loose/too tight for the yarn it can cause short row bumps and holes to be very, very, prominent.

Oh, I like the look of this, thanks! Definitely going to try it. Question though, since it's not entirely clear from the article--when it comes time to deal with the "shadowed" stitches, you just knit them like a standard k2g, right? It seems like it would add unnecessary stitches to the row otherwise.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Oh, I like the look of this, thanks! Definitely going to try it. Question though, since it's not entirely clear from the article--when it comes time to deal with the "shadowed" stitches, you just knit them like a standard k2g, right? It seems like it would add unnecessary stitches to the row otherwise.

That's exactly it.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

suddenly cats posted:

Just as someone said a few posts up, English is holding the yarn in your right hand, while Continental is holding the yarn in your left. Both styles work the project right-to-left, so it's really a matter of preference and what's more comfortable for you.

Personally, I prefer Continental style, because I learned to crochet first, and being right-handed I hold the yarn in my left for crochet anyway. v:3:v

This exactly- I learned to crochet first and could never get my right hand to hold yarn and work properly so I gave up and went with the continental. Benefit to that is my left hand learned to tension well while crocheting so everyone is amazed that my stitches are so even for my knitting when I haven't been knitting that long- I always credit learning to crochet first!

Raisin
Feb 10, 2004

laertes22 posted:

I had 2 more questions.

I count my stitches as I knit. It's just habit for me to think the numbers as I knit the stitches. Knitting has a lot of counting once you get into more elaborate patterns.

The first thing I ever started knitting was a scarf. They're popular beginner projects because they're rectangles and you get a lot of practice making stitches, but I hated my scarf. It took forever and was boring, and I didn't finish it until I'd already done several other projects, and at the end of it I had this scarf and I don't even wear scarves. So I'll just suggest that if you do a scarf for your next project, you maybe knit a short scarf.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

rectal cushion posted:

I finished this recently. It's a baby cardigan, made from 100% wool. I followed directions for 12 months size, but my gauge was a little looser so I added some length. We'll see when it fits!

I'm quite happy with it. The pattern is from a Danish booklet called "baby knits on needles 3mm" (loosely translated) by Lene Holm Samsøe. I made my husband sew on the buttons because I always mess up when I try to do that.

Edit to say - I used to really dislike the look of garter stitch, but this yarn suits it SO WELL! I'm pleased.

Quite lovely! You've inspired me to get something on the needles for my baby. I have extremely little free time to knit, having a new baby and all, but maybe if I start now I'll have something she can wear in the winter. I'm thinking a stretchy pullover rather than cardigan to save the hassle of buttons.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My first project was a scarf, and I never finished it. It got about 2 feet long before I gave up, because it was just so tedious. The person teaching me to knit is a really good friend and had good advice, but she gave me us7 or 8 needles and some 4-ply light worsted yarn to start with. Worst things to give a beginner, I think. That yarn was constantly splitting and it was hard to see my stitches. Also the first cast on I learned was cable cast on, which I loathe because it's so fiddly and time-consuming. Eventually I switched to knitting on before realizing there were way easier ways to do things.

Another friend of mine learned to knit on small needles and hated it, until she picked up some big needles and chunky yarn. That feeling of satisfaction when you finish your first project does a lot to shape your opinion of the craft. Now she regularly knits shawls and socks and things like that on tiny needles, and it blows me away how patient she is.

Also, I tension the yarn with my right hand for knitting and crochet. Holding it in the left just feels weird.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Mizufusion posted:

My first project was a scarf, and I never finished it. It got about 2 feet long before I gave up, because it was just so tedious. The person teaching me to knit is a really good friend and had good advice, but she gave me us7 or 8 needles and some 4-ply light worsted yarn to start with. Worst things to give a beginner, I think. That yarn was constantly splitting and it was hard to see my stitches. Also the first cast on I learned was cable cast on, which I loathe because it's so fiddly and time-consuming. Eventually I switched to knitting on before realizing there were way easier ways to do things.

Another friend of mine learned to knit on small needles and hated it, until she picked up some big needles and chunky yarn. That feeling of satisfaction when you finish your first project does a lot to shape your opinion of the craft. Now she regularly knits shawls and socks and things like that on tiny needles, and it blows me away how patient she is.

Also, I tension the yarn with my right hand for knitting and crochet. Holding it in the left just feels weird.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who crochets "backwards" - it feels so wrong to hold the yarn with my left.

I've been knitting for almost twenty years and STILL haven't bought a set of needles - I've got to have straights and DPNs in every size by now, but I hate circulars so I never buy those. A dishcloth is a great first project. I think I did a scarf first (in cotton, ugh!), and it's the lumpiest thing you've ever seen, but I was so proud. I counted stitches for every single row until I finally developed enough skill to not have to worry about dropping them/picking up extras, and now I count when I cast on... and that's it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh man, I just remembered the time I taught my friend's kid to knit. Except I didn't have any knitting needles with me. There was a ton of yarn around because his mom crochets, but at the time I didn't know how, so I taught him knitting with a pair of ballpoint pens. He made something lumpy, crooked, and full of holes, but it was so awful that it became awesome. He was so proud of it and called it "the plague scarf of Nurgle". :3:

I never found out if he finished it, but I really hope he did.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Tourette Meltdown posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who crochets "backwards" - it feels so wrong to hold the yarn with my left.

I've been knitting for almost twenty years and STILL haven't bought a set of needles - I've got to have straights and DPNs in every size by now, but I hate circulars so I never buy those. A dishcloth is a great first project. I think I did a scarf first (in cotton, ugh!), and it's the lumpiest thing you've ever seen, but I was so proud. I counted stitches for every single row until I finally developed enough skill to not have to worry about dropping them/picking up extras, and now I count when I cast on... and that's it.

So I accidentally ended up knitting my tail end into my stitches (instead of the yarn from my skein) for several rows before I realized what I was doing. I tried to fix it, but basically ended up unravelling all my work and having to start from scratch (*le sigh*). After watching the knittinghelp.com vids, I decided to start simpler with only 10 stitches (loops?) so it would be easier to count and make sure I don't make as many mistakes. I don't really know that I am "making" anything (it's too narrow to be a cloth at this point), but I am basically looking at it as an experience in practicing stitches and basic techniques.

I see that a lot of people don't like circular needles? Why is that? After watching the knittinghelp.com beginner videos, I was considering possibly getting some. What don't people like about them?

Also, what would be a good yarn (material, weight/size, etc.) to make a potholder? I am assuming it would be basically the same as making a dishcloth or washcloth?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
For pot holders I usually use a worsted weight cotton yarn like sugar and cream. Really the only key points you're looking for is it has to be natural fibers (acrylic and the like can melt or warp with the heat) and you don't want anything fuzzy. Plus sugar and cream comes in a bajillion colors and is pretty cheap (Michaels has it on sale for $1.50 a ball through Saturday as part of their yarn event FYI).

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I personally LOVE circular needles and use them as exclusively as possible. I dislike how larger garments pull my wrists when I am near the end of a row when I am using straight needles. Circulars always balance the bulk of the fiber between my hands thus pulls a lot less on one wrist or the other. Everyone has their preferences, but I feel that circulars are great once you learn a few tricks.

For starters, boil some water and soak the cord connecting the two needles. If they are metal, I just drop them in the water. If they are wood or plastic, I hold the needles and soak the cord. It only takes a few minutes for the cord to lose it's springiness once it hits the hot water.

A second trick is choose needles that are appropriate for your fiber. If you are working with a silk blend lace weight yarn, definitely go for wood needles as it clings to the fiber better. If you are working with cotton, definitely pick up a set of metal needles. The fiber will glide much better. This really goes for straight or circular needles. I've just found it to be especially important when working with circulars.

I've also found that the Susan Bates or Boyle needles are a PAIN when it comes to where the cord joins the needle. It can be a fight trying to get the loops to easily slip from cord to needle. I use AddiTurbo needles because their join is smooth and the yarn slips right past it and back onto the needle without a fight at all. The trade-off is that they are more expensive and are not traditionally found at basic craft stores. I personally feel that the few extra dollars per needle is worth not having to fight with the hobby that is supposed to soothe me.

There are certainly times when I use straight needles, but I can often get away with using my DPN's with stoppers at the ends. Anything that won't fit on a DPN goes on a circular.

In the end, you will find your own preferences, but I hope that some of these hints will help you go into it with less frustration than many of us had to deal with when we were learning.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

jota23 posted:

For starters, boil some water and soak the cord connecting the two needles. If they are metal, I just drop them in the water. If they are wood or plastic, I hold the needles and soak the cord. It only takes a few minutes for the cord to lose it's springiness once it hits the hot water.

Argh!! They should write this in bold and place in every package of plastic cord circular needles! I can't tell you how often I fight the springiness straight out of the packaging and have NEVER thought to loosen it with hot water! Thank you so much.

And I like using circular needles on big projects like blankets or sweaters but definitely prefer DPNs for small stuff like socks. I never got the hang of the "magic loop" thing with circulars. Just feels awkward.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I'm in the circulars for everything except small things like socks and gloves/mitts group. I find magic loop leaves gaping holes in my work, but dpns help even it out.

And it's mostly for the same reasons--being able to put all the weight of what I'm knitting into my lap/get it more even. Just much more friendly for my wrists.

I tend to use metal for lace, though, whether it's silk blend or not--when I get going in lace, I absolutely do not want it to be grabby at all. The rest of the time I tend to use wood because it's warmer and I like how wood feels with wool.

It's really just a matter of seeing what works for you.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I have a set of addi turbos circulars that I like because I knit continental and I'm a pusher. The points aren't quite as sharp and the needles go on the cord via a spring and turn rather than a screw. I also have a set of knitters pride novas from yarn.com that I use because they offer more needle tip sizes than the addis do. I use dpns for anything small diameter haven't gotten the hang of magic loop yet. I originally got a sampler set of interchangeable circulars that included an acrylic, wood, and metal tips to figure out what type of tip I liked. Those are available through yarn.com and knitpicks.com for about $20.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

laertes22 posted:

So I accidentally ended up knitting my tail end into my stitches (instead of the yarn from my skein) for several rows before I realized what I was doing. I tried to fix it, but basically ended up unravelling all my work and having to start from scratch (*le sigh*). After watching the knittinghelp.com vids, I decided to start simpler with only 10 stitches (loops?) so it would be easier to count and make sure I don't make as many mistakes. I don't really know that I am "making" anything (it's too narrow to be a cloth at this point), but I am basically looking at it as an experience in practicing stitches and basic techniques.

I see that a lot of people don't like circular needles? Why is that? After watching the knittinghelp.com beginner videos, I was considering possibly getting some. What don't people like about them?

Also, what would be a good yarn (material, weight/size, etc.) to make a potholder? I am assuming it would be basically the same as making a dishcloth or washcloth?

I love worsted anything for practice projects - BUT as you get more and more comfortable, you'll find that you maybe prefer a smaller yarn, or smaller needles, or bigger yarn, or bigger needles, or circulars, or DPNs, or...... it goes on and on. Everybody has their own style and preferences. I have awful carpal tunnel, so needles much smaller than 4-5US kill me, and I don't care for all the "managing" I have to do on circulars. Circulars are GREAT for big flat projects, and probably better for beginners for things knit in the round since there's a lot less risk that you'll drop a ton of stitches by knocking them off the needle. I knit a baby blanket on straight size 4s and could've killed myself by the end - it would have been a lot easier to do it on circulars and not have to scrunch it all up.
Don't be bummed if your project doesn't turn out immediately! Swatching and practicing stitches is a great way to learn. My go-to technique for learning a new stitch or cast-on or -off or whatever is to cast on 10-20 stitches in sport weight on size 7s (I don't recommend this, I knit REALLY tight and that gives me the correct gauge) and just go at it til I can't stand it anymore, or I get it. Then frog it (rip it all out) if you want, or cast off and give it to somebody. People love swatches, for some reason.

EDIT: Also I hate magic loop and I prefer aluminum straights and bamboo DPNs. Ask two knitters and get three opinions... or four, or five, or more.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I am in the love of circulars camp. I don't really like using magic loop, but I dislike DPNs even more, so magic loop is the lesser of the evils. I was taught to knit on circulars, so I never really got into using straights.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Count me in as a lover of circulars. I don't mind double pointeds for small projects, but then again I've never learned magic loop. I think big metal dpns are evil.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I belong to circular Chiao Goos. The cables are the best and they're not nickel-plated, so they don't make my hands itch. I have a few pairs of Knitter's Pride wooden circulars, but wood needles are so draggy. I hate how sticky they are, even knitting with silk blends. The tips are also nice and sharp, which I love because I'm terrible about splitting yarn with wood tips. I retired a pair of KP size 17 wood tips and replaced them with a set of boye circs because they split Malabrigo Rasta. How crummy do you have to be to split a single ply of partially fulled fiber? :argh:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I love KA circulars. I'm a huge fan of bamboo, plus there's a swivel joint where the cable meets the needle, so they rarely if ever twist.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I generally like bamboo too. I'm a loose knitter, maybe that has something to do with it. I have the tulip interchangeable circulars set and I like it. Before that I had the knitpicks wood one and it was ok too, but I ended up selling it when I got my current set. If possible, I'd try some different needles to see what you like best before you buy a set.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Putting my money where my mouth is re: knitting!
Laertes, the first thing I ever knit - a seriously sad, teeny tiny (like 18" long) scarf made out of cotton yarn.

No, seriously, it is so small.

Maybe 6-7 years ago, dinosaur hat! Toddler sized, for my baby head. Would also make an acceptable chicken hat.

Last fall, this purple thing. I loved the shaping.

But do I ever wear it? Heck no, why would I with a teeny tiny cotton scarf?!
Most recently, tiny baby cardigan for our impending tiny baby.

And baby blanket for the same.

Anyway, don't be afraid to share your first projects! We've all been there. It just takes some practice, then you can make all kinds of beautiful stuff (if you're like everyone else in the thread, if you're like me you'll just make dinosaur hats).

Edit: also, phone-posting, y'all please forgive me any horrible typos!
Edit x2: of course those are tiny as hell. Fixed! Click for my giant face.
Edit x3: I forgot about this bag I made.

Tourette Meltdown fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 27, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Putting my money where my mouth is re: knitting!
Laertes, the first thing I ever knit - a seriously sad, teeny tiny (like 18" long) scarf made out of cotton yarn.

No, seriously, it is so small.

Your other things are lovely, but I have a real soft spot for people's first projects - yours just so perfectly bocketty.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Pookah posted:

Your other things are lovely, but I have a real soft spot for people's first projects - yours just so perfectly bocketty.

:3:

I keep it pretty must JUST to show people that, yeah, your first project is gonna be pretty intensely awful... and also because I secretly love it. It's so soft, and soooooo crooked, and full of weird tension and dropped stitches. I'm sentimental over my own ridiculously terrible work, haha. I couldn't replicate some of the tension issues if I tried.