Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

some texas redneck posted:

I don't know if you know this, but most people drive to work with a cup of coffee. Maybe some fast food death breakfast sandwich too.

:v:

Most people can't randomly pull over and rig up a fix for nearly ANYTHING that goes wrong with their commuter vehicle either, STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

commissargribb posted:

Most people can't randomly pull over and rig up a fix for nearly ANYTHING that goes wrong with their commuter vehicle either, STR.

"nearly"

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fucknag posted:

"nearly"

Ken doesnt commute with full drivelines, only when hes going on wheeling trips.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

"poo poo, I'm running late for work. Better hurry up and shove 1,000lbs of tools and spare parts into my truck so I can make it on time to build loving flying cars."

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Chinesium flavored knockoff go-pro cameras arrived today.

Depending on how this weekend goes, we'll have to test one of them. :getin:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2013

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Another weekend at Ken's house of Lego Jeeps.

He's still out of power for the time being so I brought him a 3k Powermate generator to use until he gets sweet sweet electricity back. We used it a few times while working on jeeps.

Soldering with a generator.

We started by trying to diagnose some noise issues with my volt meter. It turned into tearing apart and redoing my under dash harness. In the process, we identified a bunch of good 12v power sources for later. We also finally got my dome lights running again and reconnected the factory style heater controls.

Unfortunately, we also discovered that my radio was toasted. :downsgun:

:razz: - maybe someday I'll install that inclinometer.

We also had a moment to install a cold air intake from a TJ to replace the red conical donkey dick filter that was flopping around in the engine bay.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 29, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Maineiac.jpg

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

commissargribb posted:

We also had a moment to install a cold air intake from a TJ to replace the red conical donkey dick filter that was flopping around in the engine bay.

Unfortunately, those TJ intakes just sit there and gulp all the hot air under the hood. At least they are pretty good at not drawing in water.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My house doesn't have wheels and didn't come from a dealer, so I'm definitely not a maineiac.

EightBit posted:

Unfortunately, those TJ intakes just sit there and gulp all the hot air under the hood. At least they are pretty good at not drawing in water.

Yep... at least it isn't a pondsucker (err, cold air intake?) that rides on the power steering pump reservoir and wears a hole through the filter element. That setup was a temporary one to work until a better solution was found, and then it ended up staying on there for, oh, 6 months. The TJ setup should be a decent start to a snorkel as well if it's ever needed.

The computers here at work don't have microSD card readers in them, so I probably won't be able to post a video for a few weeks unfortunately.

e: oh, I am getting 17, 18, 19, even 21mpg in my beat up, tired 98 XJ with a 94 XJ motor with over 250k miles on it, while commuting. And that motor sat in the woods the winter before last with the intake uncovered. I had to pump water out of the cylinders before installing it. I never even looked at the rings or pulled the head off, because ignorance is bliss. It's an automatic and the tranny is starting to slip.

So if anyone's gonna convince me to buy something else to DD, they better have something that gets an honest 27-30mpg to suggest because anything under that won't save money for 3-5 years and I'm not looking to fill my yard with more cars unless they are 1. awesome or 2. save me money a hell of a lot faster than that. The 4wd/awd and manual requirements still stand.

Also, I threw a new passenger headlight in the XJ last night because it was getting so dim I wasn't sure it was actually connected. What a difference, it turns out that the old one had gotten moisture inside it (sealed beam? not so much) and like 3/4 of the silver reflective plating was corroded away.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 30, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm getting a free 2.2L legacy wagon with a blown auto. 5MT swap it and get high 20s all day 'erry day?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh my god we might have kastein talked into a Subaru :sweatdrop:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

The computers here at work don't have microSD card readers in them, so I probably won't be able to post a video for a few weeks unfortunately.

Your camera came with a USB cable. It's in the box.:ms:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm getting a free 2.2L legacy wagon with a blown auto. 5MT swap it and get high 20s all day 'erry day?

How do you get a free Subaru? How can I get free Subarus?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

karma.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
which begets the question - why did HE get a free subaru?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Relax your jaw, and cup the balls.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Know someone who buys 600 dollar subarus that should have been crushed long ago and watch as they run missmatched tires and blow the gearboxes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh my god we might have kastein talked into a Subaru :sweatdrop:

first of all my budget is badly ultimateforced for quite a while, and second it's not a sure thing. We'll see. There's a good chance that nothing in this area is going to fit my requirements, at which point I'll just put more miles on the XJ.

I haven't found the cable yet, I need to see if I can.

e: also NO loving EJ25S EVER, sorry. I don't need that kind of pain. I have an LDS-465 I can't keep head gaskets or rod bearings in, I don't need a goofy assed Boxer that blows gaskets and rod bearings and has to be pulled out of the drat chassis to repair.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 30, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

first of all my budget is badly ultimateforced for quite a while, and second it's not a sure thing. We'll see. There's a good chance that nothing in this area is going to fit my requirements, at which point I'll just put more miles on the XJ.

I haven't found the cable yet, I need to see if I can.

e: also NO loving EJ25S EVER, sorry. I don't need that kind of pain. I have an LDS-465 I can't keep head gaskets or rod bearings in, I don't need a goofy assed Boxer that blows gaskets and rod bearings and has to be pulled out of the drat chassis to repair.

Relax. The EJ25s aren't that bad, and we're trying to sell you on a EJ22 which doesn't poo poo head gaskets rod bearings fantastically and instead goes forever. Its like a 4.0 but missing 2 cylinders, split sideways, and gets great MPG.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

Relax. The EJ25s aren't that bad, and we're trying to sell you on a EJ22 which doesn't poo poo head gaskets rod bearings fantastically and instead goes forever. Its like a 4.0 but missing 2 cylinders, split sideways, and gets great MPG.

EJ22 is a good motor. I agree.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Cross posting from the jeep thread.

This worked out awesome! Thanks!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Glad it's holding together.

I've mostly been driving the crapcan XJ to work and back, piling on the miles... averaging 18-19mpg. Currently getting 17-18, I suspect it's because my catalytic converter vomited into the muffler AGAIN plus the fact that my passenger front wheel bearing has decided to blow out. Well, it blew out last week, so I replaced it with a spare stolen off the MJ. Which was hosed also as it turns out, just not as badly as the original. However, it blew out also this week, so I swiped the other one off the MJ, which is also hosed, but nowhere near as badly as the other two... threw that on in under 15 minutes in the parking lot at work today :haw:

The second my first paycheck lands in my account (nothing like being broke and doing side jobs, then surviving that first one or two paycheck period where pay doesn't quite arrive on time and you don't have time to do side jobs anymore!) I'm ordering a pile of poo poo off rockauto and putting this drat thing back together properly. Two new wheel bearings, new rotors/pads (since the good condition used ones I threw on it last time got horribly chewed up by the stuck caliper, then the horrifucked wheel bearings), a good used steering knuckle on the right side since the caliper slides have notches worn in them, all four balljoints, an axle ujoint, blah blah blah.

Oh, and I'm probably throwing more parts I've stockpiled onto the blue MJ and getting it registered in the next few weeks. It's so close to ready to drive that I don't see a reason not to.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm just going to put this here.

How are things down at Casa Del Jeeps? Is electricity expected anytime in the near future?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sandbagger SA posted:

How are things down at Casa Del Jeeps? Is electricity expected anytime in the near future?

STOP IT I DONT HAVE THE BUDGET FOR THIS poo poo

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slow is Fast posted:

STOP IT I DONT HAVE THE BUDGET FOR THIS poo poo

IM SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS AWESOMENESS

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The XJ drives "well enough" with the borrowed wheel bearings and somewhat lovely brakes, and bills are more important right now, so scratch the new frontend parts for another few weeks... welp.

I did buy a new BFH last night though, because my old one resulted in a significant finger wound, pretty sure that loving subaru cut me to the bone. It sure felt like it. I was getting tired of a 4lb not being effective enough (sometimes takes a few swings to knock a TRE or balljoint loose), and couldn't find an 8lb hand sledge, so I bought an 8lb long handle sledge that is going on a date with a chop saw when I get home.

Oh, and my last tank of gas got me 22mpg driving like a dickhead on i90 every day in my beat up 4.0L/automatic XJ
:smug:
:yosbutt:

Sandbagger SA posted:

Unlikely for another few weeks. Getting my gas turned back on Monday though!

Bucephalus posted:

IM SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS AWESOMENESS

oh gently caress you buddy I don't have money for this. Put a rhino grill on that and I'd DD it all day every day while bending over for ExxonMobil.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm looking at replacement rear shock mounts.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/5...CFUyi4Aodqh4ASg

This is what I got last time. I'm not sure if there exists anything more heavy duty but this is what I've been able to find.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

oh gently caress you buddy I don't have money for this. Put a rhino grill on that and I'd DD it all day every day while bending over for ExxonMobil.

You mean like this?

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3994885691.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rear right wheel cylinder blew out on my crapcan 98 XJ DD on my way to work yesterday. Bought new wheel cylinders and axle housing brake lines at lunch, installed rear right cylinder and line after work. Drove it into the shop at work at 5:43, it was replaced, bled, driven back out, and the floor cleaned by 6:53. :feelsgood:

drat thing stops on a dime now and pedal feel is much better, apparently it's been slowly getting worse for a few weeks at the very least and I just didn't notice. I nearly put my head through the windshield the first time I hit the brakes after fixing it.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
The knocks haven't been as bad recently. I'm not sure if it's because I drive differently without a working tach or what. I know I listen to the engine more without a tach and if anything, I would think it would be more apparent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm still on the hunt for a good motor... nothing yet. Tempted to say wait till Sams reduces their price to the winter $100/engine rate, then we pull one with a 30 day warranty for $30-50 extra and slap it in, thrash the poo poo out of it and it'll either last forever or pop before 30 days is up.

I'm not sure why that motor ended up being a POS. I almost suspect it had motor honey in it when my buddy bought the jeep because I heard it run before he parted the jeep, it sounded great. Sounded great when we put it in. Shortly after that we changed the oil and the knocks appeared basically right after that...

Here's some pics of my ghetto fabulous exhaust disassembly flange on the 98 toilet XJ:

Put these in because some wheeling resulted in my catalytic converter vomiting chunks of ceramic matrix into the muffler, which reduced my topend power... significantly :downs:

Sawzalled the pipe in half between the muffler and cat, dumped all the busted poo poo out, welded the flanges on and bolted it back together. Works great again, will continue to do so till the cat barfs up enough core that it goes below acceptable efficiency and throws a P0420. And best of all I copied the factory 4 bolt flange pattern that's used on 87-95 jeep exhausts, so I can use the standard gasket that's like 3 bucks from every parts store in the country, or in a pinch just pull the cat completely out and bolt the muffler to the flange upstream of the cat instead.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

I'm still on the hunt for a good motor... nothing yet. Tempted to say wait till Sams reduces their price to the winter $100/engine rate

I'm starting to understand how businesses which exists solely to import and sell used motors turn a profit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Finally got my rockauto crap in the mail after way too much hassle related to shipping and also to being broke.

Tonight:
one set of balljoints installed (upper+lower), other set deemed good enough to not bother
both wheel bearings installed
one ujoint replaced, there were no needle bearings in one pair of trunnions which explains the funky noises
grooves worn into the caliper guides on one steering knuckle welded full and ground smooth, other knuckle deemed good enough to last till I feel like loving with it

As soon as I get home:
pads/rotors (don't want to notch up the brand new rotors with the old pads, and the new pads shipped later and only arrived today while I was at work)

Right now:
gently caress what the hell were these idiots thinking when they designed this rear lighting wiring. Second time it's gone out on me and I'm tired of talking to cops who pretense stop me on Friday/Saturday nights because my third brake light and license plate lights sometimes decide not to work. I hate intermittent connections! :argh:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm glad I live in a large city where cops are too busy to pull you over for nitpicky bullshit like license plate lights (because I don't have any)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I'm still on the hunt for a good motor... nothing yet. Tempted to say wait till Sams reduces their price to the winter $100/engine rate, then we pull one with a 30 day warranty for $30-50 extra and slap it in, thrash the poo poo out of it and it'll either last forever or pop before 30 days is up.

I'm not sure why that motor ended up being a POS. I almost suspect it had motor honey in it when my buddy bought the jeep because I heard it run before he parted the jeep, it sounded great. Sounded great when we put it in. Shortly after that we changed the oil and the knocks appeared basically right after that...

Here's some pics of my ghetto fabulous exhaust disassembly flange on the 98 toilet XJ:

Put these in because some wheeling resulted in my catalytic converter vomiting chunks of ceramic matrix into the muffler, which reduced my topend power... significantly :downs:

Sawzalled the pipe in half between the muffler and cat, dumped all the busted poo poo out, welded the flanges on and bolted it back together. Works great again, will continue to do so till the cat barfs up enough core that it goes below acceptable efficiency and throws a P0420. And best of all I copied the factory 4 bolt flange pattern that's used on 87-95 jeep exhausts, so I can use the standard gasket that's like 3 bucks from every parts store in the country, or in a pinch just pull the cat completely out and bolt the muffler to the flange upstream of the cat instead.

Somehow my 2.5 exhaust ended up with no flanges at all except at the manifold. Thank you cheap rear end exhaust shops. Need to fix that, since I want to change out the muffler for something more sporty-sounding, er, more efficient.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So today I got parts for the world's dumbest axle build project. Needed a dana 60 inner shaft at least 18 inches long to have cut down and turned/resplined to match dana 30 seals and side gears and fit in the fabricated housing with d30 tubes/diff and d60 knuckles/ujoints.

So I went to the you-pull armed with my destruction kit - bigass axle nut socket (1 11/16 in this case), 3/4 drive breaker bar, 4 feet of pipe to fit it, 1/2 drive ratchet, 1/2 drive SAE socket set, 1/2 drive 14mm 12 point socket, and my 8 pound "hand sledge" just in case.

First step: find 4x4 94-98 dodge ram 2500/3500
Second step: axle nuts off before the tires leave the ground. These leave the factory torqued to 178ft-lbs, and get blasted with salt, so expect pain. 4 foot pipe was a good thing to bring, I spun one tire on the ground when I first tried breaking the nut loose so I had to use the 800 foot pound impact wrench (4 feet of pipe with a 200lb dude suddenly jumping on the end of it.)
Next: jam large boulders under axle housing, remove lugnuts, persuade wheels to come off using 8 pound hand sledge, axle drops onto boulders. Who needs a hydraulic jack? Or jackstands?
next: walk around yard asking to borrow vise grips because I was a tard and forgot to bring mine in. Remove caliper.
next: use 3/4-1/2 adapter, 14mm 12pt socket, and 3/4 drive breaker bar to remove 4 large bolts holding wheel bearing to knuckle.
next.5: discover steering box is jammed and 2 unit bearing bolts are inaccessible.
Next: discover nut on tie rod end is rusted on more solidly than taper is seated. Spin taper helplessly for several minutes until properly angry. Realize that neither the knuckle nor the tie rod end are part of my plans, devise a plan...
next: the 8 pounder arrives on scene. Goddamn am I glad I got this thing. I repeatedly bash tie rod end taper thread and castle nut until the castle nut is a pancake and the tie rod end stud has been peened straight through the nut and knuckle. Victory.

that was once a 7/8" castle nut. Things that get in my way at the junkyard sometimesusually end up looking like this.

Axleshaft slides out easily once the unit bearing is unbolted and forced out of the knuckle because you were smart and remembered to take that incredibly tight axle nut off while the truck was still holding it in place for you.

And now it is time to disassemble a 1992 dodge 4x4 250 steering knuckle set so one of my coworkers can put it in his giant lathe and turn the insides of the axle tube stubs out to 2.495" or so so that they will shrink fit onto dana 30 axle tubes before being welded in place. I hope the kingpins don't put up much of a fight, reportedly they require a 7/8" allen bit and are torqued to 1/8 of a mile-pound :stonk:

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 7, 2013

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I'm not sure what your building, but I like the cut of your jib there mister..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Veeb0rg posted:

I'm not sure what your building, but I like the cut of your jib there mister..

I think this should answer that question...

A lot of work still needs to be done, clearly.

This is going to be the most retarded axle ever.

E: the thumbnails for those images are semi broken because imgur is being a giant piece of poo poo! Click and they work. :thumbsup: imgur!

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 8, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Other than "it has drive, steering, discs and big rear end hubs" I have no loving clue, but I eagerly await the next episode of "Legos for real men"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Nope. No idea. Whatever it is, it's interesting.