Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

teagone posted:

Is it normal for the LED on a magsafe 2 charger to stay on for like 10-15 seconds after I unplug it from my MacBook Air? It charges my laptop fine, I'm just wondering why the LED stays on for a bit, despite being disconnected. It was a replacement bulk charger I received from OWC, after I had to RMA the first one they sent me.

It just means the OWC charger has capacitance in the system leading to the light staying on for 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I have a 2011 Mac Pro desktop at work that randomly runs the system fans at full blast. There is no rhyme or reason to why it happens and there are no errors in the console or heat issues. It won't do it for weeks at a time, then all of a sadden they will run @ full blast until a reboot. I have reset the SMC multiple times.

I set it aside for testing, running no applications. After almost 3 weeks of just sitting there, it fired up the jets on Friday and hasn't stopped since. What the hell is going on

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 23, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ZetsurinPower posted:

I have a 2011 Mac Pro desktop at work that randomly runs the system fans at full blast. There is no rhyme or reason to why it happens and there are no errors in the console or heat issues. It won't do it for weeks at a time, then all of a sadden they will run @ full blast until a reboot. I have reset the SMC multiple times.

I set it aside for testing, running no applications. After almost 3 weeks of just sitting there, it fired up the jets on Friday and hasn't stopped since. What the hell is going on

Did you ever check Activity Monitor while this is happening?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kenny Logins posted:

will have a hard time waiting even for an Anand review to come out before buying, when the Haswell rMBP drops.
Do people actually put this much stock in Anand's actual reviews/recommendations when it comes to Apple products? He pretty much just says every time that <new product> is the latest and greatest version and what to buy if you're not on the immediately-prior generation. I can't remember the last time he didn't really recommend the latest version of any Apple hardware refresh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

Do people actually put this much stock in Anand's actual reviews/recommendations when it comes to Apple products? He pretty much just says every time that <new product> is the latest and greatest version and what to buy if you're not on the immediately-prior generation. I can't remember the last time he didn't really recommend the latest version of any Apple hardware refresh.

I personally read more into the benchmarks for performance and battery life expectations. I already know what the product is really going to be like, and I'd say his reviews are pretty accurate as far as the new stuff goes (Retina for example)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SourKraut posted:

I'm not going to defend Anand reviews but at the very least, for someone who already wants what Anand's reviewing, the review can help with your BTO choices (i5 vs. i7, for example) or else decide between similar lines (rMBP 13" vs. MBA 13").

I would also say the push of my sentiment you quoted is I want this thing bad enough that it's hard to restrain myself to see if there are any emerging flaws. Buying expensive, functional things before casing reviews isn't my usual style, I'd expect most responsible folk to see what the experts say about electronics before they invest so heavily.

All that being said, out of all the reviews for Apple stuff, Anand's are pretty drat comprehensive in a way that many popular tech sites aren't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I personally read more into the benchmarks for performance and battery life expectations. I already know what the product is really going to be like, and I'd say his reviews are pretty accurate as far as the new stuff goes (Retina for example)

Yeah most sites leave the battery performance vague and don't even include different power scenarios.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Am I going to notice a difference between geforce 660m or geforce 675mx in the top 27' iMac? Kinda desperate in need of this upgrade but this is what's stopping me... As I previously stated, I only look to game (Civ V, or League of Legends) but otherwise I don't game much and it's use will be work (only programs such as excel, word, etc.). Is it a wise upgrade? With such a limited budget I'm not sure if ill get the most use out of this.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

I personally read more into the benchmarks for performance and battery life expectations.

Same. I plan on using his reviews to decide between the 13" and 15" Haswell rMBP. I want to know how good the 13's GPU is; if it's fast enough I prefer the more portable chassis.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Same. I plan on using his reviews to decide between the 13" and 15" Haswell rMBP. I want to know how good the 13's GPU is; if it's fast enough I prefer the more portable chassis.

Not for nothin' but I had a 13" MBP and a 15" MBP (through work). The difference in portability is pronounced between the two, and I really wish I had a 13" for work - even for schlepping the box between conference rooms.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm not going to defend Anand reviews but at the very least, for someone who already wants what Anand's reviewing, the review can help with your BTO choices (i5 vs. i7, for example) or else decide between similar lines (rMBP 13" vs. MBA 13").

I would also say the push of my sentiment you quoted is I want this thing bad enough that it's hard to restrain myself to see if there are any emerging flaws. Buying expensive, functional things before casing reviews isn't my usual style, I'd expect most responsible folk to see what the experts say about electronics before they invest so heavily.

All that being said, out of all the reviews for Apple stuff, Anand's are pretty drat comprehensive in a way that many popular tech sites aren't.

Yeah I definitely think their coverage of battery performance and the discussion on BTO options is good. It tends to be more that I notice that Anand doesn't really seem to address oversights or concerns until a following version corrects it, only then commenting on it. (Ex: the 3rd Gen (Retina) iPad, where he really only lightly touched upon the fact that the GPU wasn't quite powerful enough to push the Retina display in games and such. It definitely wasn't an issue worth not buying it over if someone wanted a display of that clarity, but it still was something that he might have called someone else out on in terms of saying "Hey, maybe you should have waited until the proper hardware was available to really do this." Then, with the 4th Gen iPad with the updated A6X and PowerVR SGX 554MP4, he basically said "Yeah, this is what the 3rd Gen should have been!". I guess I was always just used to old Anandtech where they really weren't afraid to throw out those types of comments at the first chance.

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Am I going to notice a difference between geforce 660m or geforce 675mx in the top 27' iMac? Kinda desperate in need of this upgrade but this is what's stopping me... As I previously stated, I only look to game (Civ V, or League of Legends) but otherwise I don't game much and it's use will be work (only programs such as excel, word, etc.). Is it a wise upgrade? With such a limited budget I'm not sure if ill get the most use out of this.
Potentially stupid question, but did you look at the refurbished models that are available by chance? They can sometimes come in cheaper than educational discounts, and for example right now for $1999 you can get a 2012 27" iMac with 16GB RAM, the 3TB Fusion drive, and the GeForce GTX 675 MX. It has an i5, but for the activities you listed, I'd imagine that'd be more than adequate. If you could save a little longer and add $200 to your budget, you could also get the 27" with an i7, only 8 GB of RAM (though you could cheaply update this yourself someday), a 1TB Fusion drive, but then the to-end GeForce GTX 680MX. For stuff like Civ 5, it may not be a bad idea - I'm using a 27" 2560x1440p display with my system, and the desktop GeForce GTX 660 TI (which the GTX 680 MX is equivalent to) struggles some with Civ 5, etc. at that resolution. I'd only imagine the 660 MX or 675 MX would struggle even more.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 24, 2013

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

SourKraut posted:

They can sometimes come in cheaper than educational discounts, and for example right now for $1999 you can get a 2012 27" iMac with 16GB RAM, the 3TB Fusion drive, and the GeForce GTX 675 MX. It has an i5, but for the activities you listed, I'd imagine that'd be more than adequate. If you could save a little longer and add $200 to your budget, you could also get the 27" with an i7, only 8 GB of RAM (though you could cheaply update this yourself someday), a 1TB Fusion drive, but then the to-end GeForce GTX 680MX.

It should be noted that the first iMac listed does not have a 3 TB Fusion Drive, it has no SSD, and is just a 3 TB Spinny disk (7200 RPM).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not to put too fine a point on it, but new iMacs that come with only a platter drive can never be upgraded onboard to Fusion drives, as Apple specifically doesn't put the SSD connector on logic boards of standard platter HD only iMacs.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Binary Badger posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but new iMacs that come with only a platter drive can never be upgraded onboard to Fusion drives, as Apple specifically doesn't put the SSD connector on logic boards of standard platter HD only iMacs.

The fusion drive isn't just a normal 2.5" SATA connector?

e: or 3.5" on the 27"

Never mind, just a little research seems to show that the fusion drive is made up of two separate physical drives. So they don't give you the 2nd SATA connector if you don't order with fusion to begin with. That's lame.

comper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 24, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

comper posted:

Never mind, just a little research seems to show that the fusion drive is made up of two separate physical drives. So they don't give you the 2nd SATA connector if you don't order with fusion to begin with. That's lame.

They're saving 2 cents per iMac!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

comper posted:

It's not a SATA connector is it? It's a special Apple only SSD connector similar to what's in the Macbook Air and Retina MBP right?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

It should be noted that the first iMac listed does not have a 3 TB Fusion Drive, it has no SSD, and is just a 3 TB Spinny disk (7200 RPM).

Good catch. Not sure why I missed that. Makes the $2200 iMac seem all the more better (to me at least).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

echobucket posted:

It's not a SATA connector is it? It's a special Apple only SSD connector similar to what's in the Macbook Air and Retina MBP right?

Right, I believe it's some sort of unholy mix of mSATA and mini PCI-e.

comper posted:

Never mind, just a little research seems to show that the fusion drive is made up of two separate physical drives.

One SSD and one regular rotational drive.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 24, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

The 2012 iMac has what appears to be the same SSD as the Retina MacBook Pros. The Air is yet another different piece, and there were small changes between the 2010/11 and 2012 Airs, and now the 2013 Air is a PCI-E device, so even if the connector is the same, they wouldn't be compatible with the others.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/you-wont-be-adding-an-aftermarket-ssd-to-your-new-imac/

Compared to the Air here

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

They're saving 2 cents per iMac!

Uh, no, it falls more in line with Apple's philosophy that they only want to support EXACTLY what they sold you.

I don't know why, but I imagine they were getting tired of having to fix stuff people were shoving into their iMacs and someone somewhere (with Phil Schiller's approval) finally said, "Okay, let's make it darn near impossible to upgrade anything but the RAM."

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
What is the performance penalty in using mixed RAM sizes in a mid-2011 Mini?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Uh, no, it falls more in line with Apple's philosophy that they only want to support EXACTLY what they sold you.

I don't know why, but I imagine they were getting tired of having to fix stuff people were shoving into their iMacs and someone somewhere (with Phil Schiller's approval) finally said, "Okay, let's make it darn near impossible to upgrade anything but the RAM."

I don't know - the supply of rMBP form factor SSD's isn't exactly high.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apparently, Hell hath frozen over. Ars has a review of the loving Belkin Thunderbolt Dock.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/review-belkins-299-thunderbolt-express-dock-works-well-costs-lots/

Bottom line is that it works great, and even works in Windows except for the USB 3.0 ports not getting recognized. The USB 3.0 ports on the Mac only run at 2.5Gbs instead of 5.0Gbs, but that should only matter if you've got some RAID or SSD setup.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The USB ports don't work on Windows 7, but they don't even mention 8? I imagine they'd be a lot more likely to work there.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Finally! An actual review of the stupid dock!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

After me encouraging her for years, my Mom suddenly wants me to tell her exactly which current MBA to get. Are the mid-2012 refurbs a good deal or did the recent refresh add amazing improvements? She's mostly going to be doing photo stuff with it, on the go, so battery life will matter a bunch as well as the larger 13' screen.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Get a new one. The battery improvements are :krad:.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

After me encouraging her for years, my Mom suddenly wants me to tell her exactly which current MBA to get. Are the mid-2012 refurbs a good deal or did the recent refresh add amazing improvements? She's mostly going to be doing photo stuff with it, on the go, so battery life will matter a bunch as well as the larger 13' screen.
Did you even look at the new ones? The 13" Air now has a 12-hour battery. The i7 is now a 25% speed increase instead of 10%. Other than that, it's basically the same poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The displays haven't gotten to 13 feet yet, but the 2013 MBA roughly doubles the effective battery life so it's definitely worth it in my book.

To be totally honest, this is the first year in a while (where there hasn't been a new line or other major introduction- like the debut of the retina models or second-gen chassis MBAs) where I can honestly say that the current model blows the previous year's out of the water to the point where prospective buyers should really do everything in their power to not go with a refurb.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Get a new one. The battery improvements are :krad:.
And that's pre-Mavericks.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And that's pre-Mavericks.

The most exciting part. If that timer coalescing thing works like they say it does, those new Airs could honestly be looking at days of battery, not just a day (which is impressive in itself).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

The most exciting part. If that timer coalescing thing works like they say it does, those new Airs could honestly be looking at days of battery, not just a day (which is impressive in itself).

Is it against the rules for Mavericks testers to disclose something like battery life benchmarks, isn't it? I wonder if the new OS will show anything more than 10-20% improvement.

A 20% improvement would result in a 15-hour battery in light-use situations.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Finally got my new iMac in only to find its riddled with stuck pixels (red spots on a black screen). Definitely more than the policy for return. Are stuck/dead pixels still common? Now my only worry is that the new one will have the same thing (with the nearest Apple store 70+ miles I'm doing this through shipping). I know with a larger screen these things are bound to happen but hope the next one isn't the same; it's a pain in the rear end.

Otherwise, really love the machine and a huge upgrade from my C2D MBP from 2010. It's amazing how much faster everything runs, and ended up spending for the 680 graphics card so hopefully that'll future proof me. Fingers crossed on this next iMac :(

Edit: Since setting up this computer is there anything I should do such as format it or what before sending it off? I setup iCloud, iTunes Match and such so anything special I need to do such as formatting?

OMGzKakaniz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 26, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hold option-R while you are booting up, so you go into recovery mode. From there start Disk Utility and secure erase your hard drive. It will take a while on a big drive.

If you're not paranoid, just add a new user (call him Bob), made him an Admin. Then log in as Bob and remove your user, and delete their home folder.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Sooooo I finally dropped my laptop. rMBP 13". Bent edges on the corner, small web of cracks in the screen (tucked up against that top left corner in the black so it actually doesn't affect my view at all). I'm actually pretty happy with how it took the fall, thank god for SSD.

I have two questions:
-Is there anything I can do to prevent the cracks from spreading? Would say, superglue help it stay? Shrug.
-There is now a hilarious black horizontal line 1 pixel thick stretching across the top menu bar. It starts solid from the top left corner (same corner where the cracks are) and gradually fades up until about where my battery indicator is. But here's what's weird-- it blinks. Very methodically. On for 2 seconds, off for 2 seconds, on a perfect timer. You would think these were dead pixels, and you might think a cable was loose.. but how do you explain the fact that it fades like it's a hardware issue and blinks like it's a "software" issue?

I don't even expect a fix, I'm more just...fascinated

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

My 2008 unibody MacBook (not pro) is still chugging along after 4.5 years of daily use. It's still very usable, has got great battery life due to the replacement battery I got right before Apple Care ran out. I've noticed lately though that it's been getting really warm (warmer than I'm used to it getting) and the fans go pretty much non stop. It doesn't matter if it's on a table, or propped up against my knees. I'm thinking of opening it up and spraying out the insides with compressed air, since I've never done that for the life of the computer. Is there any do's or dont's for doing this? I'm planning on retiring this faithful beast at the 5 year mark, but I want it to run until then and even after as a backup.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

jototo posted:

My 2008 unibody MacBook (not pro) is still chugging along after 4.5 years of daily use. It's still very usable, has got great battery life due to the replacement battery I got right before Apple Care ran out. I've noticed lately though that it's been getting really warm (warmer than I'm used to it getting) and the fans go pretty much non stop. It doesn't matter if it's on a table, or propped up against my knees. I'm thinking of opening it up and spraying out the insides with compressed air, since I've never done that for the life of the computer. Is there any do's or dont's for doing this? I'm planning on retiring this faithful beast at the 5 year mark, but I want it to run until then and even after as a backup.

After four years the fan / heatsink is probably clogged with dust and just needs to be blown out. Just check out the fan replacement guide for your machine on iFixit to see how to get to and remove the fan. Other than making sure to keep track of the screws it's not a difficult task at all.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Oneiros posted:

After four years the fan / heatsink is probably clogged with dust and just needs to be blown out. Just check out the fan replacement guide for your machine on iFixit to see how to get to and remove the fan. Other than making sure to keep track of the screws it's not a difficult task at all.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Rumor: Intel to supply Apple with special high-end Haswell GPUs for MacBook Pros

This rumor sounds fishy to me. If Intel has a better version of their GPU ready to go, why didn't they just build Haswell with it already? On the other hand, if this rumor is true, it'll make it easier for Apple to kill the dedicated GPUs on the Pro line and boost the battery life like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Oneiros posted:

Otherwise if it still seems to be blasting the fans with no rhyme or reason try a SMC reset too. Or try that first since it's the easier thing to do.

Siguy posted:

Rumor: Intel to supply Apple with special high-end Haswell GPUs for MacBook Pros

This rumor sounds fishy to me. If Intel has a better version of their GPU ready to go, why didn't they just build Haswell with it already? On the other hand, if this rumor is true, it'll make it easier for Apple to kill the dedicated GPUs on the Pro line and boost the battery life like crazy.
Yeah it seems like a pretty questionable rumor. And just found a post by myself about that site and stuff about MBP GPUs a little while back :v:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&pagenumber=349&perpage=40#post416492842

I guess the MBP will have some thermal overhead to spare without the discrete GPU in there, but just clocking up can ramp up power usage a bunch and reduce yields/increase costs, while some custom design would seem costly enough that neither side would bother. Or some wacky Intel sanctioned hack like a dual socket notebook or off die 2nd Iris Pro integrated with the controller chip rather than CPU (although I imagine that one's impossible/way too complex to bother with).