Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Every time I think "This Mk 3 isn't THAT much better than the Mk 2, I think I'll sell it" I go out and shoot with it :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rumors are going around that Canon is testing a 75MP FF sensor. A lot of forums are already up in the arms, as to who would need that much megapickles. I rather hope it's a dualpixel sensor instead, challenging the D800.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
75 MP? How big would a single raw photo be? 250 megs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on bit depth and compression efficiency. Compressed raws at 14bit on my D800 are about 40MB (for 36MP).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given the dual pixel stuff on the 70D, that new sensor, if it's for real, would output the same as the D800. I can't see Canon not using dualpixel from here on. Seems pretty impressive given what people previewing the 70D said.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I played around with a 6D and 5DIII today. I had no idea they stocked them at Best Buy. I guess a lot has changed in the two years or so that I've been there. Still have crappy peripherals though. If they sold decent lenses/flashes/bags/tripods, it might be a place worth visiting regularly.

Also the floor model 5D didn't have a lens on it to play with :negative:.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
I finally pulled the trigger on getting the Canon EF-S 10-22 today and have only now realised that it doesn't come with a lens hood. Is it worth paying the extra money for a Canon hood or are generic Chinese knock off ones indistinguishable?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Headhunter posted:

Is it worth paying the extra money for a Canon hood or are generic Chinese knock off ones indistinguishable?
The latter.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I've had trouble with generic lens hoods staying on the lens. But if you get one that doesn't have that problem, yeah, no difference.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
I suspected as much but thought I'd check. Cheers.

Edit: To clarify I bought one and saved myself £20.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A lens hood on a 10 mm lens must be so short it does gently caress-all.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
I've had problems finding a decent generic hood for my 28mm f/1.8. It's a petal-shaped hood, and both of the generics I've tried have poorly aligned moldings for the bayonet mount. It ends up being impossible to get it aligned properly. One of them was about 20 degrees short of being lined up right when screwed all the way on, and the other was about 15 degrees off. Pretty noticeable.

Hmm. I see the real deal is finally in stock again at B&H, I tried to buy a real one all last year but wasn't able to find one. I assumed Canon just quit making them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rcman50166 posted:

I played around with a 6D and 5DIII today. I had no idea they stocked them at Best Buy. I guess a lot has changed in the two years or so that I've been there. Still have crappy peripherals though. If they sold decent lenses/flashes/bags/tripods, it might be a place worth visiting regularly.

Also the floor model 5D didn't have a lens on it to play with :negative:.

My bestbuy has a pretty decent range of lenses/flashes too, and some big name tripods as well (manfrotto n poo poo). Bag though... meh.

The other thing to keep in mind is that bestbuy will pricematch places like BH and amazon now for that sort of stuff. It's pretty sweet!

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Mr. Despair posted:

My bestbuy has a pretty decent range of lenses/flashes too, and some big name tripods as well (manfrotto n poo poo). Bag though... meh.

The other thing to keep in mind is that bestbuy will pricematch places like BH and amazon now for that sort of stuff. It's pretty sweet!

Do they pricematch to account for no sales tax through B&H?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A lens hood on a 10 mm lens must be so short it does gently caress-all.

The 10-22 is pretty good when it comes to minimizing flare, but the hood still helped in some situations. It's petal shaped, so it's not short all the way around.

For the record, I also had a cheapo 3rd party one - Canon's are so overpriced.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Despair posted:

When did they decide that price gouging and selling warranties out the wazoo wasn't a sustainable business plan? My last experience was terrible.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
So apparently the Sigma 30 1.4 (Art) doesn't vignette on full frame...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1220042

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Inf posted:

Do they pricematch to account for no sales tax through B&H?

No, you have to pay sales tax (legally you're supposed to be paying applicable sales tax through stuff you buy online at B&H too :ssh:). Still handy. Need to buy a cr123 battery, but don't want to pay the 18 bucks BB has a 2 pack for? Just pricematch with amazon and pay the decent price.

rcman50166 posted:

When did they decide that price gouging and selling warranties out the wazoo wasn't a sustainable business plan? My last experience was terrible.

Probably about 6 months ago or so? They'll still try to sell you warranties, just now if you say you want to price match on amazon they'll pull up the website and pricematch it on the spot, takes like a minute. They don't even need to page a manager or anything.

It's still not a great experience, but it's a marked improvement.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
You also get a 15 day no-restocking-fee return policy, which is really nice on expensive rear end camera gear.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

You also get a 15 day no-restocking-fee return policy, which is really nice on expensive rear end camera gear.

If you're buying expensive rear end camera gear you can probably get bumped up to their PREMIER SILVER rewards program, which extends the return period out to 45 days I think?

e. 60 days now apparently. AND they'll send someone out to your house to color calibrate your tv and give you an hour of training on whatever you bought. :geno:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Shmoogy posted:

Well poo poo now I gotta spend an extra $150 for the Art one.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Got my EOS-M with the 22mm STM today. Haven't bought a P&S in ages, but wanted something I could bring on hikes, bike rides and other occasions where I want to get good shots without being That Guy.

Image quality is loving fantastic. AF is still a bit slow and deliberate, even with the newest firmware, but it almost always locks onto its target on the first pass. Screen is massive, body is solid but with tiny grips right where they need to be.

Trying to use it as a manual camera is frustrating, with its lack of proper dials, but I'd imagine that's not its intended usage. In the Scene Intelligent Auto mode, it constantly assesses lighting conditions and subjects to pick the right modes. So far, I've only used it around the house taking pictures of the dog, but I'm going to take it in town tomorrow and see how it deals with backlit subjects and fun stuff like that. Definitely a powerful piece of kit for $299.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Looking at the picture it does seem to vignette some, just not as bad. It's about what I'd add in post if I wanted a vignette. I'd say it's a keeper for someone who moved from crop to FF but I don't know if I'd buy it I only had FF.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

bisticles posted:

Got my EOS-M with the 22mm STM today. Haven't bought a P&S in ages, but wanted something I could bring on hikes, bike rides and other occasions where I want to get good shots without being That Guy.

Image quality is loving fantastic. AF is still a bit slow and deliberate, even with the newest firmware, but it almost always locks onto its target on the first pass. Screen is massive, body is solid but with tiny grips right where they need to be.

Trying to use it as a manual camera is frustrating, with its lack of proper dials, but I'd imagine that's not its intended usage. In the Scene Intelligent Auto mode, it constantly assesses lighting conditions and subjects to pick the right modes. So far, I've only used it around the house taking pictures of the dog, but I'm going to take it in town tomorrow and see how it deals with backlit subjects and fun stuff like that. Definitely a powerful piece of kit for $299.

Just tried mine new EOS-M out too (I ended up getting a used LN 18-55 as well). It was tons of fun. I had the same impression of the focus- I certainly wouldn't call it fast, but I rarely had to tell it twice what I wanted in focus. I actually got used to some of the adjustments (aperture in Av mode, exposure compensation, etc). I haven't played with most of the scenes but did get some nice shots with the night multi-shot.

My main annoyance right now is figuring out what options stay set and which ones reset. I kept turning off the touch-screen-to-take-picture option, and 5 minutes later I'd somehow inadvertently take a picture bumping it against by belly, taking it out of the case, etc. I'm not sure if I was accidentally hitting the toggle for that in the lower left of the screen, or whether it was resetting that option every time it powered off.

My EF/EF-S adapter just arrived, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

The bad news is that I had so much fun with the M that it makes me want a more complete, better featured mirrorless like the OM-D or XE-1...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Haggins posted:

Looking at the picture it does seem to vignette some, just not as bad. It's about what I'd add in post if I wanted a vignette. I'd say it's a keeper for someone who moved from crop to FF but I don't know if I'd buy it I only had FF.

I wonder what it looks like at f11 though.

Performula
Apr 7, 2009
I got a call from my local Canon USA, regarding my Rebel T1i that can't power on. They've determined it must be a short in the camera's power supply circuitry and/or a blown fuse. The options they've given me are:

(1) Take it back and possibly attempt to fix it myself.
(2) Have them ship it to the closest factory service center to have it repaired for a flat fee of $190 (+S&H).
(3) Exchange my camera for 20% off a refurbished camera of my choice through their loyalty program. The refurbished camera comes with a 1 year warranty.

While I have basic soldering and circuit debugging skills, I don't have much faith in choice (1) succeeding. On the other hand, I also don't feel excited about shelling out $190 + S&H for something that can be as simple as a "blown fuse," for a low-end DSLR that's nearing 4 years. So I feel like (3) is my best option, as I could probably get a more up to date DSLR body, or maybe an S or G series point and shoot.

If anyone could provide additional opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sell it as broken in ebay? You'll might get more for it than the value of 20% off something from the refurb store unless you're gunning for a 5D3 or something pricey like that. People usually get a $10 broken point and shoot specifically for that particular discount so it seems heavy handed to use a DSLR for it, broken though it may be.

As for going for a new dslr body, I'd say it depends on your inventory of lenses. If you have mostly EF-S lenses then the 60D or 7D make good upgrade choices.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Performula posted:

I got a call from my local Canon USA, regarding my Rebel T1i that can't power on. They've determined it must be a short in the camera's power supply circuitry and/or a blown fuse. The options they've given me are:

(1) Take it back and possibly attempt to fix it myself.
(2) Have them ship it to the closest factory service center to have it repaired for a flat fee of $190 (+S&H).
(3) Exchange my camera for 20% off a refurbished camera of my choice through their loyalty program. The refurbished camera comes with a 1 year warranty.

While I have basic soldering and circuit debugging skills, I don't have much faith in choice (1) succeeding. On the other hand, I also don't feel excited about shelling out $190 + S&H for something that can be as simple as a "blown fuse," for a low-end DSLR that's nearing 4 years. So I feel like (3) is my best option, as I could probably get a more up to date DSLR body, or maybe an S or G series point and shoot.

If anyone could provide additional opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sell it on ebay. Buy a broken canon p+s or film camera on ebay to use for loyalty program (doesn't actually have to be broken even though they say it should be). Take difference and buy yourself dinner.

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Think I broke some kind of record...

Finally bought a 100/2,8L IS USM, fell in love with it and 10 days later the IS breaks down (with IS On the viewfinder kept jumping continuously even without touching the camera).
Brought it back to the store and they said they'd never seen that problem with that specific lens before (I couldn't find anything regarding the 100mm + IS errors on the interwebz either).
It's been at Canons repair center for two weeks now. Phoned them today and the only answer I got was "We haven't started with your lens yet". :argh:

Besides the unfortunate problem, it's a drat fine lens - couldn't have been happier with it.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So has anyone with a 6D tried the beta version of Magic Lantern yet? I'm considering giving it a try, since focus peeking looks really cool and I'm hopeful that dual-iso mode will come to the 6D eventually. Any trip reports out there before I dive in?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 6D will not be getting dual ISO (anytime soon). The 5DIII and 7D get it because they have 8 channel output from the sensor and everything else has 4 channel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kaninrail posted:

So has anyone with a 6D tried the beta version of Magic Lantern yet? I'm considering giving it a try, since focus peeking looks really cool and I'm hopeful that dual-iso mode will come to the 6D eventually. Any trip reports out there before I dive in?
I'm not in particular interested in Magic Lantern, unless it can force enable AF confirmation on manual lenses, since Canon's not going to add it for whatever dumb reason.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

force enable AF confirmation on manual lenses, since Canon's not going to add it for whatever dumb reason.
What does this mean? Like the selected focus points will light up red when they're focused on a manual lens?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What does this mean?

Seconded... Does the 6D not have a focus confirm beep for chipped manual lenses? That seems like a crazy omission as I'm pretty sure it's on like every other camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What does this mean? Like the selected focus points will light up red when they're focused on a manual lens?
Yeah, that. If you set a "regular" lens to MF, a mode where it does nothing, it'll work because its electronics tell the camera it works in MF mode. A true MF lens without electronics, it won't work for whatever dumb reason. Unless you're glueing a third party chip on it, signalling the camera about MF mode. Something fiddly I don't intend to do.

--edit:
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-Adjustable-AF-Confirm-chip-For-Canon-EOS-aperture-adjustable-f1-4-f4-0-50mm-/281095093126

Shmoogy posted:

Seconded... Does the 6D not have a focus confirm beep for chipped manual lenses? That seems like a crazy omission as I'm pretty sure it's on like every other camera.
If the lens is chipped, it works. I'm talking about completely manual lenses, like the Samyangs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 23, 2013

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, that. If you set a "regular" lens to MF, a mode where it does nothing, it'll work because its electronics tell the camera it works in MF mode. A true MF lens without electronics, it won't work for whatever dumb reason. Unless you're glueing a third party chip on it, signalling the camera about MF mode. Something fiddly I don't intend to do.

Magic Lantern's focus peeping mode seems like it would still work in that scenario though, as it works by analyzing the live view image in realtime and overlaying a series of dots over points of critical focus, unless I'm completely misunderstanding the feature.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not interested in LV mode. I want the regular AF confirmation to work and do the blinkenlights in the viewfinder.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So chip your lenses!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not interested in LV mode. I want the regular AF confirmation to work and do the blinkenlights in the viewfinder.

Yeah this is something that can only be accomplished via chip. Software will never be able to do that- but live view focus peaking can handle it.

Nikon Samyang lenses are chipped, if you don't feel okay doing it yourself you can buy Nikon and an adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Yeah this is something that can only be accomplished via chip. Software will never be able to do that- but live view focus peaking can handle it.
They could modify the software to not check for the chip.