Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Kanye flipped out about the leaked video being fake whennn... it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Paperback Writer posted:

Kanye flipped out about the leaked video being fake whennn... it wasn't.

He got really mad that you couldn't take snapshots of his poorly rendered CG abs.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Quandary posted:

Are we just gonna pretend that this isn't the best line from Kanye's discography then?

Also from the same song: "They say 'he bourgie, he big-headed.' Would you PLEASE stop talking about how my dick head is?"

Last Call is the magnum opus of Kanye Lyrics.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Also from the same song: "They say 'he bourgie, he big-headed.' Would you PLEASE stop talking about how my dick head is?"

Last Call is the magnum opus of Kanye Lyrics.

She got a light skinned friend look like Michael Jackson
Got a dark skinned friend look like Michael Jackson

:colbert: :slick:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That video is like a slightly more modern, more hosed up, black version of Dancing Baby.

You see, it's all part of the horror and atrocity of the system. Or something. An effective metaphor.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

You see, it's all part of the horror and atrocity of the system. Or something. An effective metaphor.

im actually super excited to read what yeezus apologists are going to come up with for this video.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

40 lbs to freedom posted:

im actually super excited to read what yeezus apologists are going to come up with for this video.

Nothing. He just probably thought it looked cool- maybe in a lo-fi seapunk kind of way, like the videos the Knife made during the Deep Cuts/Silent Shout years or whatever the gently caress half of Yeasayer's aesthetic is about. It's not exactly out-of place-looking for a music video if you know where to look.

For better or worse, that look's been "in" among a certain group of people- although I bet it probably initially came about because somebody was lacking in funds- and now leather kilts and bondage pants artsy Yeezy wants to be in on the game too. It's like how PBR got initially picked up because it was a cheap beer that tasted better than the alternatives and then it became some kind of fashion thing for lovely people following a trend and the even shittier internet people who built a strawman around it.

Just because I like Yeezus and think that it has lyrical and artistic merit doesn't mean I have to swallow everything 'Ye puts out as gospel. The dude dressed his girlfriend like my grandma's couch and I don't think there's any significance behind it.

And I get that you think you're being both edgy and some kind of voice of reason here but do you really have to make such a visible effort to be a twat?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
DO NOT Insult Yeezus
DO Appreciate the dualism of a capitalistic yet yearning for genuine affection in a digital age....(continue for 3 years)

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

lol "Yeezus apologists", it's a fuking album dude, not a genocide.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

She got a light skinned friend look like Michael Jackson
Got a dark skinned friend look like Michael Jackson

:colbert: :slick:

:smugbert:Your girl don't like me? How long has she been gay?:smugbert:

In other Kanye News, developers have released Kanye Quest 3030, "a hip-hop-themed science-fiction 2D roleplaying game starring Kanye West."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looks like someone's been listening to Deltron recently! :haw:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Are you loving kidding me. Why the hell to people throw around the word "apologist" for trivial poo poo?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

mks5000 posted:

Are you loving kidding me. Why the hell to people throw around the word "apologist" for trivial poo poo?

probably because it is the only word that literally means "one who speaks/writes in defense of someone/something" ? The word isnt reserved for specific events or historical figures or anything of the sort. He used it right so... :shrug:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

temple posted:

DO NOT Insult Yeezus
DO Appreciate the dualism of a capitalistic yet yearning for genuine affection in a digital age....(continue for 3 years)
I could easily do without SMG's posts but he is basically dead on the money in his description of these parodies of "smart" writing.

thathonkey posted:

probably because it is the only word that literally means "one who speaks/writes in defense of someone/something" ? The word isnt reserved for specific events or historical figures or anything of the sort. He used it right so... :shrug:
It's not exclusively for crimes against humanity, but it's a needlessly hostile word to use and just makes discussion worse.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

het posted:

It's not exclusively for crimes against humanity, but it's a needlessly hostile word to use and just makes discussion worse.

In context, it's probably a better term to use than "white knighting" :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

webmeister posted:

You honestly don't need to use either term. It's a loving album, not a religious text. Some people happen to like it and see artistic value in it and some people have decided that expressing any kind of appreciation for it is some kind of affront to their sense of what's "valuable."

Half the people in this thread are acting like the sort of Redditor snowflake who stands outside an Apple store yelling "iSheep!" like the "zealots" waiting for the tech support appointments for their goddamn phones give a poo poo.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 24, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

webmeister posted:

Even better is not to be a dickhead to begin with.

edit:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Half the people in this thread are acting like the sort of Redditor snowflake who stands outside an Apple store yelling "iSheep!" like the "zealots" waiting for the tech support appointments for their goddamn phones give a poo poo.
"Redditor snowflake" is just as bad :ironicat:

Plastic Chin Fairy
Feb 22, 2013
I only read the first page but wow. Vocoders are a Daft Punk 'innovation'?

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever done that and you're being just as bad by painting people who happen to type 'red' into their browser rather than 'forums.s' as some sort of loony cult.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
It's been a month and I'm still giving 80% of the album (everything but Guilt Trip and Send It Up) a lot of replay. I think that's a mark of a pretty good album.

tgnt.mgmt
Jan 8, 2012

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:siren:Here comes the "Yeezus Apologist":siren:

Explanation for the lovely CGI

"Kanye West collaborated with Nick Knight on the music video for 'BLKKK SKKKN HEAD'. The film was created using pioneering 3D scanning and motion capturing technologies and shows West's commitment to exploring new creative territories. It comes complete with an interactive that allows you to control and manipulate the video while you watch."

While I don't agree that it captured what he was going for, the supposed novelty of the technology could be the culprit.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Here's a very amateur take from me on the video:

I think it's interesting that Ye's face is barely shown at all in the clip hmmm on another viewing, his face does get a bit of view, so it mightn't be significant. The special effects also seem to highlight and draw attention to the body. I think it could be a deliberate choice to play with the idea of the animalistic/othered black man, which has historically depicted African-Americans as brutish. See also Ye's exaggerated muscles on this. The skin effects could also come into this, as does the high-contrast black & white (which would have obvious connotations with the song's message).

Wild animals are recurring - not only King Kong, but the rabid dogs and wolves etc. I think this once again recalls the black/othered/animalistic association.

But, of course, it may have just been an experimental video to play around with their mocap technology, and I'm seeing meaning where there is none.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 26, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

GET MONEY posted:

It's been a month and I'm still giving 80% of the album (everything but Guilt Trip and Send It Up) a lot of replay. I think that's a mark of a pretty good album.

I'm on board with everything except New Slaves and Guilt Trip. Everything else is golden and I think I just burned out on New Slaves because I watched the SNL Youtube video too many times in a couple days.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Guilt Trip and Send It Up are fuckin awesome, top 2 tracks for an album with no skips for me.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

reflex posted:

I'm on board with everything except New Slaves and Guilt Trip. Everything else is golden and I think I just burned out on New Slaves because I watched the SNL Youtube video too many times in a couple days.

But the SNL vid didn't include the best bit in that song!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I usually listen to New Slaves just for the Frank Ocean section.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I am OK posted:

But the SNL vid didn't include the best bit in that song!

True that, album New Slaves is way better than SNL New Slaves. Though SNL Black Skinhead is way better than the album version.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

thathonkey posted:

I usually listen to New Slaves just for the Frank Ocean section.

That's how I feel about his song on Jay's album.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

http://www.oddfuturetalk.com/forums/topic/35374-yeezus-inspired-by-the-wild-ep/

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

smoke somethin good homie

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdNaW1XoXK0
Crowd gets pretty hyped for a surprise Yeezy performance, at a Casey Veggies x Travi$ Scott concert yesterday.

Kanye with Casey from his Instagram.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just want to say that Travis Scott's Owl Pharaoh is a solid album and you can hear hints of some of the stuff that's more developed in Yeesus on it, may be worth checking out.

And as a couple people were talking about earlier, I Yeesus is still getting a lot of play. Also I'm In It is the only sex rap song not by Necro I can remember actually liking whatsoever. I think the similarity is in that they don't take themselves seriously and/or are just so ridiculous you can't really take them seriously.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

alansmithee posted:

Just want to say that Travis Scott's Owl Pharaoh is a solid album and you can hear hints of some of the stuff that's more developed in Yeesus on it, may be worth checking out.

I totally agree. It does help that Travi Scott has co-writing credits on like half of the tracks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Drake decided to bring Kanye and a crazy lineup of guests for his OVO fest

Check out this setlist

Set List
Headlines
Crew Love (The Weeknd)
Clique (Big Sean)
Mercy (Big Sean)
All Me (Big Sean)
Poetic Justice (French Montana)
Bad (Wale)
The Motion
Girls Love Beyonce
5AM in Toronto
I Get Lonely Too
Waterfalls (TLC)
No Scrubs (TLC w/ Lil Mama)
Nobody’s Perfect (J Cole)
Forbidden Fruit (J Cole)
Power Trip (J Cole and Miguel)
Adorn (Miguel)
Successful
Uptown
Forever
Best I Ever Had
Over
Feel So Good (Diddy and Ma$e)
Mo Money Mo Problems (Diddy and Ma$e)
All About the Benjamins (Diddy)
I Need A Girl (Diddy)
F–king Problems (ASAP Rocky)
Goldie (ASAP Rocky)
Wild For the Night (ASAP Rocky)
New Slaves (Kanye West)
All of the Lights (Kanye West)
Can’t Tell Me Nothing (Kanye West)
HYFR (Lil Wayne)
Motto (Lil Wayne)
Bitches Love Me (Lil Wayne)
Versace
No New Friends
Started From the Bottom

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Drake decided to bring Kanye and a crazy lineup of guests for his OVO fest

Check out this setlist

Set List
Headlines
Crew Love (The Weeknd)
Clique (Big Sean)
Mercy (Big Sean)
All Me (Big Sean)
Poetic Justice (French Montana)
Bad (Wale)
The Motion
Girls Love Beyonce
5AM in Toronto
I Get Lonely Too
Waterfalls (TLC)
No Scrubs (TLC w/ Lil Mama)
Nobody’s Perfect (J Cole)
Forbidden Fruit (J Cole)
Power Trip (J Cole and Miguel)
Adorn (Miguel)
Successful
Uptown
Forever
Best I Ever Had
Over
Feel So Good (Diddy and Ma$e)
Mo Money Mo Problems (Diddy and Ma$e)
All About the Benjamins (Diddy)
I Need A Girl (Diddy)
F–king Problems (ASAP Rocky)
Goldie (ASAP Rocky)
Wild For the Night (ASAP Rocky)
New Slaves (Kanye West)
All of the Lights (Kanye West)
Can’t Tell Me Nothing (Kanye West)
HYFR (Lil Wayne)
Motto (Lil Wayne)
Bitches Love Me (Lil Wayne)
Versace
No New Friends
Started From the Bottom

Jesus gently caress :stonk:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
TNGHT played Blood on the Leaves tonight during their set at Central Park and it loving slayed. Kanye needs to tour on this album ASAP. If Huson Mohawke Lunice lip syncing can make people lose their minds, Ye actually performing it will be a straight-up apocalyptic sight.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 7, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
On Cruel Summer why are some songs ending in .1 on iTunes?

Mercy.1
New God Flow.1
Cold.1
Don't Like.1

I just bought the album from the iTMS and they came like this.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Boris Galerkin posted:

On Cruel Summer why are some songs ending in .1 on iTunes?

Mercy.1
New God Flow.1
Cold.1
Don't Like.1

I just bought the album from the iTMS and they came like this.

They are like that on Spotify as well. Been wondering the same thing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It's Kanye's way of denoting song "versions," as with software. Those songs are different from their original releases. New God Flow, for instance, now has the Ghost Face verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

illcendiary posted:

It's Kanye's way of denoting song "versions," as with software. Those songs are different from their original releases. New God Flow, for instance, now has the Ghost Face verse.

Wait seriously? So if I got the album when it came out I now have to get it AGAIN to have these new versions?

• Locked thread