Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As of saturday I am the proud owner of an om-d with (yes) the kit zoom. Holy poo poo this thing owns.

Now the fun starts because I need a good gear bag and the battery grip and some nice primes and a tele and a good flash and a pola and a uv and a tripod and and and...

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

spankmeister posted:

As of saturday I am the proud owner of an om-d with (yes) the kit zoom. Holy poo poo this thing owns.

Now the fun starts because I need a good gear bag and the battery grip and some nice primes and a tele and a good flash and a pola and a uv and a tripod and and and...

It can be a real pain finding bags that snugly hold mirrorless gear because it's all built for giant lenses, etc.

I like this bag,compartments a bit smaller and fit a lot of the Olympus lenses fairly nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-400-AW-Black/dp/B001APJZ50/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374595634&sr=8-7&keywords=flipside

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just heard I may have a line on a *~vintage~* original brown leather Olympus OM-1 bag. That would loving own.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

spankmeister posted:

I have one of these (came for free with the grip :buddy:) and it's a real nice size for a gripped om-d. Perfect width/height. Not great if you want to have a giant fuckoff zoom in the bag with it, but it'll hold the om-d and ~4 standard lenses in a pinch for basic storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-Series-Camera-Digital-Cameras/dp/B007Y8EHIM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1374596814&sr=8-18&keywords=olympus+bag

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cru Jones posted:

It can be a real pain finding bags that snugly hold mirrorless gear because it's all built for giant lenses, etc.

Pfff..

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Cru Jones posted:

I like this bag,compartments a bit smaller and fit a lot of the Olympus lenses fairly nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-400-AW-Black/dp/B001APJZ50/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374595634&sr=8-7&keywords=flipside

My bag is like a hiking backpack, custom made by Mamiya for a guy who retired. Held 2 RZ67's and 2 lenses for him; Holds a D700, 5 lenses, 3 speedlights and miscellany now. Meanwhile, my x100 fits in a motorcycle jacket pocket.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

maxmars posted:

I may be spoiled by having been exposed to the concept since the beginning with the NEX, but I think the whole concept should be improved ASAP by doing something like context-sensitive color. I mean, the image is already displayed on an LCD, the camera computer surely must know that (say) white on white is not going to stand out.

If you set the camera to B&W mode, red peaking really stands out. If you're shooting RAW you still get color files.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

FasterThanLight posted:

If you set the camera to B&W mode, red peaking really stands out. If you're shooting RAW you still get color files.

I was thinking more of a slightly dimmed mode for the picture and more colorful peaking, as an alternative. I understand your point but I don't want to go into bw just for focusing.

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY
So I'm probably going to get into the mirrorless realm. I found myself using my T3i less and less because of the size, so the quality of these mirrorless entries are pretty appealing to me (nice pictures in the thread goons)

I've been looking at the NEX-6 as a possible choice. After searching through the last 30 or so pages of the thread, it looks like the big knocks on it are the lens selection, and the "kid" menu Sony forces on us.

Are there any other cameras in that price range that I should be considering?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yisan posted:

The Fuji X series cameras are pretty nice, not sure if they're in that price range or not.

The IQ on my NEX-5N is pretty awesome. The menus are trash, and it has the Baby's First Camera mode. The lens selection is getting better, but largely though third-party support. The Sigma 30/2.8 and 19/2.8 are both pretty good and have new versions, Sony's 35/1.8 OSS reportedly is good apart from some autofocus issues, the 50/1.8 OSS is good apart from costing more than its non-OSS brethren.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yisan posted:

So I'm probably going to get into the mirrorless realm. I found myself using my T3i less and less because of the size, so the quality of these mirrorless entries are pretty appealing to me (nice pictures in the thread goons)

I've been looking at the NEX-6 as a possible choice. After searching through the last 30 or so pages of the thread, it looks like the big knocks on it are the lens selection, and the "kid" menu Sony forces on us.

The Fuji x-e1 and the Olympus om-d are the 2 biggest competitors in that range.

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY

Mr. Despair posted:

The Fuji x-e1 and the Olympus om-d are the 2 biggest competitors in that range.

It looks like those are about 300 dollars higher in price. From reading I would gather that the menus are a bit nicer as is the lens selection. In terms of size though, the Fuji looks right there with the Sony. I would just have to find a good reason to spend the extra money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you don't mind manual focusing then you can pretty much disregard the first party lens lineup for any mirrorless camera and get yourself some high quality but older glass. It's obviously not for everyone, but if you don't mind manual focusing then pretty much any mirrorless will treat you right. I would give the Sony and Fuji higher marks here for focus peaking, but I hear it's not terrible with the Olympus cameras either.

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY

Martytoof posted:

If you don't mind manual focusing then you can pretty much disregard the first party lens lineup for any mirrorless camera and get yourself some high quality but older glass. It's obviously not for everyone, but if you don't mind manual focusing then pretty much any mirrorless will treat you right. I would give the Sony and Fuji higher marks here for focus peaking, but I hear it's not terrible with the Olympus cameras either.

Not at all. I prefer it for the most part. I have heard that the NEX's autofocus is pretty good though

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NEX-6 actually has phase detection AF and the EVF is really nice from what I hear (I have a 5N) so it's probably an amazing camera for either AF or MF. Still has "baby's first camera" menu system, but honestly I've gotten to the point where I don't really care. It would be nice if the NEX had better menus but it's not really stopping me from shooting good looking photos*.

* That dubious honour goes to my lack of skill :q:

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY

Martytoof posted:

NEX-6 actually has phase detection AF and the EVF is really nice from what I hear (I have a 5N) so it's probably an amazing camera for either AF or MF. Still has "baby's first camera" menu system, but honestly I've gotten to the point where I don't really care. It would be nice if the NEX had better menus but it's not really stopping me from shooting good looking photos*.

* That dubious honour goes to my lack of skill :q:

Yeah thats pretty much how I feel about my skill level. What do you typically shoot? Do you have a "favorite" sample that you've shot with your 5N?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Yisan posted:

It looks like those are about 300 dollars higher in price. From reading I would gather that the menus are a bit nicer as is the lens selection. In terms of size though, the Fuji looks right there with the Sony. I would just have to find a good reason to spend the extra money.

Your paying for a major upgrade to a menu system that will drive you loving batshit. The Nex system of menus is a joke. The Xe1 puts everything you would NEED on 2 physical knobs. If you need to play in menus for color sims or whatever there is a Q button menu system that puts the most needed/used items on one central location for ease of use.

The Good reason is that the native lens selection from Fuji is no joke high quality. The XE1 kit with 18-55 lens is underpriced and overdelivers on the IQ. Its worth the 300bux extra. Go play with one. You could easily use the XE1 with 18-55 combo as the last camera you buy for a long time.

My bag is a XE1, 18-55, 14mm Fuji, Leica 35mm R, Nikon 50mm f/2 and 21mm R f/4 and its probably the last time I'll worry about gear for a long time. I do have a few more lenses I will end up buying in the future.

OM-D gets a pat on the back too as being worth the extra money over a NEX for its better menu and far better IS.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Your paying for a major upgrade to a menu system that will drive you loving batshit. The Nex system of menus is a joke. The Xe1 puts everything you would NEED on 2 physical knobs. If you need to play in menus for color sims or whatever there is a Q button menu system that puts the most needed/used items on one central location for ease of use.

The Good reason is that the native lens selection from Fuji is no joke high quality. The XE1 kit with 18-55 lens is underpriced and overdelivers on the IQ. Its worth the 300bux extra. Go play with one. You could easily use the XE1 with 18-55 combo as the last camera you buy for a long time.

My bag is a XE1, 18-55, 14mm Fuji, Leica 35mm R, Nikon 50mm f/2 and 21mm R f/4 and its probably the last time I'll worry about gear for a long time. I do have a few more lenses I will end up buying in the future.

OM-D gets a pat on the back too as being worth the extra money over a NEX for its better menu and far better IS.

And used om-d's can be found for xe-1 prices! Pretty good chance of a new model coming out in September though.

Also the om-d looks better than the fuji's do, slr style >>> rangefinder style.

But on a serious note the fuji's are better options for things where you'll tend to have a need for wider angles, landscape and street probably, while the om-d excels for more action related stuff with it's higher FPS and weather sealing. Fuji's are for casual people, om-d's are for hardcore people.

they're both awesome cameras

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 24, 2013

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Some items to add to the list:

The List of Terrible Ideas and Opinions posted:

4. slr style >>> rangefinder style
5. Fuji's are for casual people, om-d's are for hardcore people

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

David Pratt posted:

Some items to add to the list:

Nope, it's fact and I have proof:

Try that with a fuji :colbert:

e. There's a filter on the lens to absorb impacts from hail :black101:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You have to post the full list every time!

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Having tried out an OMD in store, the only thing I find is that you absolutely need the grip for it to be comfortable. It just felt too small in my hands to be comfortable at all. That was one thing I loved about my NEX 5. The bulge on the right side where the battery is for the grip just feels so right, and I'm assuming the OMD with the grip would feel equally as nice.

I got an NEX 5 as my first camera, realized I wanted more convenient controls, a viewfinder and liked using my girlfriend's SLR, so sold the NEX 5 for a profit and got a used canon 5D. I love the 5D and how easy it is to quick change settings when need be and gives some really nice pictures. But I'm finding I have to plan to bring it out with me due to it being so large. So now I'm looking to re-enter the mirrorless world. I'm just gonna have to go fiddle with a bunch of cameras now to find out which one I like the most. Local camera store is going to love/hate me.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

ManiacMatt posted:

Having tried out an OMD in store, the only thing I find is that you absolutely need the grip for it to be comfortable. It just felt too small in my hands to be comfortable at all. That was one thing I loved about my NEX 5. The bulge on the right side where the battery is for the grip just feels so right, and I'm assuming the OMD with the grip would feel equally as nice.

I got an NEX 5 as my first camera, realized I wanted more convenient controls, a viewfinder and liked using my girlfriend's SLR, so sold the NEX 5 for a profit and got a used canon 5D. I love the 5D and how easy it is to quick change settings when need be and gives some really nice pictures. But I'm finding I have to plan to bring it out with me due to it being so large. So now I'm looking to re-enter the mirrorless world. I'm just gonna have to go fiddle with a bunch of cameras now to find out which one I like the most. Local camera store is going to love/hate me.

That being said, you can get just a grip without having to drop 250-300 for the battery grip.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yisan posted:

Yeah thats pretty much how I feel about my skill level. What do you typically shoot? Do you have a "favorite" sample that you've shot with your 5N?

Everything I've shot recently has been pretty snapshotty. I haven't had a lot of time to get out and shoot lately, but I'm sure I can pull some sample images out :3:

The only thing I dislike about my 5N is the lack of an EVF which I can remedy with either the external EVF or upgrading to a NEX-6. If I had the budget I would probably treat myself and go for a Fuji camera, but since I don't have the budget I'm really happy with what my ~$500CDN got me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The gripless om-d size really depends on what lens you have attached. Small pancake or similar and it's pretty all right (15mm bodycap makes it downright awesome for slipping into bags without getting awkward), but I do find myself using the grip a ton with heavy metal lenses.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Honestly, on the 5N it is easy to make it work even with the poo poo menu. Aperture priority works fine since you only need one control, manual is a bit janky at first but still not too much of a bitch. Exposure comp is easy enough to get to. I really never have to deal with the menu system any more these days. I have the EVF and love the flexibility of it articulating as well as making manual focusing so much easier/more accurate.

If I could magically trade my 5N for an X-pro, though, I would do it. I really love my X100. On gigs I bring the 5N and X100 and it is pretty apparent that my shooting differs based on which I am using due to the controls. They do oddly suit each other though, in a way, due to the flexibility of the 5N EVF and simplicity of shooting with manual lenses on that camera.

I did lust pretty hard on a NEX 7 when I had a chance to try one a couple weeks ago, though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The GH3 may be a hog compared to most µ4/3 cameras, but it sure does feel nice in the hand. It looks silly with the 14mm 2.5 or 20mm 1.7 on it though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rio posted:

Honestly, on the 5N it is easy to make it work even with the poo poo menu. Aperture priority works fine since you only need one control, manual is a bit janky at first but still not too much of a bitch. Exposure comp is easy enough to get to. I really never have to deal with the menu system any more these days. I have the EVF and love the flexibility of it articulating as well as making manual focusing so much easier/more accurate.

Yeah, that's just it. It's a poo poo menu but it's not really keeping me from doing anything. I shoot enough to know that "dude with grayed out mountain" means "narrower aperture", and actually since I use manual focus lenses and keep the camera in aperture priority mode 90% of the time, the only thing I use the menu for regularly is to change the ISO and exposure compensation, both of which are like one click and one rotation of the jog dial in the back. NEX menus are annoying to navigate, but once you have it set up it doesn't really matter all that much.

It could be argued that my biggest gripe with the NEX menus right now is that it just LOOKS stupid.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I arrived in Tokyo last night and, of course, had to browse around in the nearest Bic Camera. The Fuji XM-1 is amazingly compact, moreso than I imagined. With the 27mm pancake it can easily slip into a jacket pocket. Why do I like the brown & silver one so much?

I never saw Pentax Q10 in person before. It makes the XM-1 look huge. The Pentax section looks like a spilled bag of skittles, so many colors.

The 55-200 zoom for Fuji X-mount arrived at my door on Monday as I was packing to leave. I only got to test it out a bit to make sure it works. The focusing is snappy. The 200mm framelines on the OVF are hilarious.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

And used om-d's can be found for xe-1 prices! Pretty good chance of a new model coming out in September though.

Also the om-d looks better than the fuji's do, slr style >>> rangefinder style.

But on a serious note the fuji's are better options for things where you'll tend to have a need for wider angles, landscape and street probably, while the om-d excels for more action related stuff with it's higher FPS and weather sealing. Fuji's are for casual people, om-d's are for hardcore people.

they're both awesome cameras

Ewwwww, fake SLR shape are the worst looking.

Contax G/Fuji XE1/Panasonic LC-1/E PM-1 (properly design camera) > X Pro-1/E-P1 (slanted shoulder crooked design) >> OMD/G5/GH3 (fake rear end DSLR) > GF3 (this one is just rear end)

Sony mirrorless cameras are pretty ugly with all the industrial mickey mouse chrome rims but they are very comfortable to hold. My XE1 is no nearly as comfortable to hold as the NEX bodies.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

The 55-200 zoom for Fuji X-mount arrived at my door on Monday as I was packing to leave. I only got to test it out a bit to make sure it works. The focusing is snappy. The 200mm framelines on the OVF are hilarious.

Are the frame lines the same size as the focusing box? :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Nope, it's fact and I have proof:

Try that with a fuji :colbert:

e. There's a filter on the lens to absorb impacts from hail :black101:

Hows teh firmware updates that add focus pe... ohMD :smith: Better upgrade to the next Gen OMD if you want it.

Fuji announced they are working hard on Auto ISO min shutter speed and will provide more color options and control for focus peek. Im really happy that this company wants its camera owners happy. Others would just push out these fancy new features into a new camera and tell you to upgrade/dwi.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Musket posted:

Fuji announced they are working hard on Auto ISO min shutter speed

It seems strange to me that they are still "working hard" at that after this much time. From a software standpoint, improving autofocus speed seems more challenging since you have to keep coming up with new fancier algorithms, but minimum shutter speed/ auto ISO just seems basically as simple as "if x, then y".

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Costello Jello posted:

It seems strange to me that they are still "working hard" at that after this much time. From a software standpoint, improving autofocus speed seems more challenging since you have to keep coming up with new fancier algorithms, but minimum shutter speed/ auto ISO just seems basically as simple as "if x, then y".

I think it was more of a we could do this or that, and AF speed proved to be more of a pleasing fix than giving AutoISO a reworking to have a min shutter speed. Im just happy that instead of being forced to take an upgrade in the future, that they are applying these fixes and additional features to existing camera lines. Also most people would shy away from a camera with terrible AF than a pesky feature as bad AutoISO programming.

At least they are acknowledging it needs fixing and are listening to their user base.

Musket fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 25, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

I believe this is the manufacturer official speak of "We will add this to the last firmware update after the XPro-2 is released. Right now we want you buy XM1 and X100s".

To be honest with you I am not aware of this feature until this year. I look around and it seems only Nikon cameras have this feature. I find it odd that NEX bodies don't have this feature since NEX bodies are so old lens friendly.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

whatever7 posted:

To be honest with you I am not aware of this feature until this year. I look around and it seems only Nikon cameras have this feature. I find it odd that NEX bodies don't have this feature since NEX bodies are so old lens friendly.

Well, I guess I was assuming most cameras had that, because my ancient Nikon has it, and my Ricoh GR as well. It's a super useful feature to have. Especially on my GR, which sometimes wants to go down to 1/4 s shutter speed before it starts boosting ISO, which is retarded.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I doubt anyone will make a decision on a purchase based solely on auto iso functionality. There probably isn't any conspiracy behind their words - I'm guessing the firmware they wrote just didn't anticipate for such functionality and adding it is proving to be problematic. Speaking as a developer, "just seems basically as simple as "if x, then y"" is one of the worst things you can hear from someone defining requirements - because sometimes it's not that simple.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Helicity posted:

I doubt anyone will make a decision on a purchase based solely on auto iso functionality. There probably isn't any conspiracy behind their words - I'm guessing the firmware they wrote just didn't anticipate for such functionality and adding it is proving to be problematic. Speaking as a developer, "just seems basically as simple as "if x, then y"" is one of the worst things you can hear from someone defining requirements - because sometimes it's not that simple.

Yeah, especially since the firmware upgrades are about 32MB each. It's likely that in a constrained environment like a camera they've had to make a choice between features and faster AF is much more important than min shutter speed.

Of course, for a device costing $1600, it's kind of unforgivable to not have a decent processor and storage embedded. lovely android phones have better specs and SoCs at a fraction of the cost.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Helicity posted:

Speaking as a developer, "just seems basically as simple as "if x, then y"" is one of the worst things you can hear from someone defining requirements - because sometimes it's not that simple.

Certainly the problem could be poor planning on software flexibility on their part, and they'd have to rewrite half their code just to fit in this small feature, but the idea is super simple compared to most of the magic cameras perform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon's auto ISO is really, really nice and I miss it on other cameras. You can set min and max auto ISO, and you can have it base the shutter speed it's shooting for on the focal length of the lens, and you can tweak the balance of fast shutter vs lower ISO to about five different levels.

Really wish Panasonic would release focus peaking on the GH3. They keep saying that they're "looking into it" but it seems unlikely at this point. On a positive for Panasonic I just discovered that you can get nearly any part for the GH3 from their website. Ordered a new rubber grommet thing for the battery terminal on mine—only $3.