Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Rurutia posted:

They can't even train the dog to pee/poo poo properly

Or their last dog for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Hey, quit dogpiling. It's 2013, the economy is poo poo, people have to work. I've housetrained clients' dogs who were far less invested and they turned out fine, even if it was less than ideal at the time. I definitely think an indoor long-term confinement place is the best option here, with a doggy litterbox type scenario.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry, that was harsher than it was meant to be. I actually sympathize with TShield's work situation and thought it was crossing the line for Fluffy Bunnies to imply TShield was training his dog to be racist.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

TShields posted:

I can't afford thousands a year to get a walker, I can't skip out on an hour of work every single day to walk him, and I can't make his bladder bigger.
I'm not asking you to do any of those things, but could you please arrange for a bigger area (a play pen for instance) w/ a designated toilet area? I know this is not something you want, but I promise you it's better than having him pee in his crate. I linked you a description on how people house train their dogs here and it works even though people are away for eight, nine hours a day from the time the puppy is seven to twelve weeks old. Quite often the puppy is housebroken at seven to eight months of age w/o using a crate and even though it is allowed (by virtue of not crating the puppy) to eliminate indoors while people are at work.

I stress hopefully for the final time, that one reason dogs learn to not eliminate indoors is their inherent tendency of not wanting to soil their den and if you force them to pee in their crate this inherent tendency may weaken, which in turn makes a dog more prone to eliminating indoors for longer. One more personal observation is that puppies can be fool proof about going on paper indoors at five weeks of age (I train this for the litters I raise) and a puppy that has been taught this while at the breeder will almost always be fool proof at its new home. Naturally my puppies learn to eliminate outdoors as well, but their preference for newspaper is so strong by the time they leave for their own homes at seven to eight weeks, that they'll choose newspaper over an area rug for instance. Part of training this behavior is to have designated areas for sleeping, playing and eliminating. Any accidents are cleaned up asap, but the toilet area needs to smell a bit especially in the beginning. I start puppies by the age of three weeks.

edit:

ButWhatIf posted:

Hey, quit dogpiling. It's 2013, the economy is poo poo, people have to work. I've housetrained clients' dogs who were far less invested and they turned out fine, even if it was less than ideal at the time. I definitely think an indoor long-term confinement place is the best option here, with a doggy litterbox type scenario.
Strongly agree. I'd just like to hear that TShields will actually be doing this. I have zero issues with not having somebody come over during the day to let the puppy out. However I have an issue with forcing it to pee in a small crate as it is uncomfortable for the dog and can actually cause longer lasting problems in their housetraining, which nobody will appreciate.

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 16, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

ButWhatIf posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but looking at post history he's already cycled through one dog with pee issues since December (who presumably has been rehomed now) and doesn't seem particularly receptive to walking outside with the puppy on a leash to make sure he's done before letting him back in. A better-designed stopgap solution for when they're out is likely going to turn into a semi-permanent fixture.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Rurutia posted:

Sorry, that was harsher than it was meant to be. I actually sympathize with TShield's work situation and thought it was crossing the line for Fluffy Bunnies to imply TShield was training his dog to be racist.

But that's the opposite of what she said :confused:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rurutia posted:

:confused: What Invalid Octopus said. What?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Nah, some dogs are "racist". It's not like you taught her to go nuts around black folks

Some dogs just don't like certain people. I've known dogs who didn't like black folks or asian folks or whatever, specifically. It's nothing the owner does, some dogs are just like that. Just like some dogs don't like men or women or kids or cats or lamb. Some dogs are just easier to teach that that sort of behavior is unacceptable than others. My folks still have one dog in particular that loathes black people for absolutely no good reason despite them trying to alter the behavior.

ButWhatIf posted:

Possibly, but re-training a dog that's been "litter" trained can be a bitch too. Assuming their schedules ever change to let them have more time or the pup gets older and can hold it for the period they have necessary.

Which isn't to say not to do it, just, T, you might be in for some vigorous re-training if you do.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:confused: What Invalid Octopus said. What?

Sorry, I took what you said originally to be sarcasm. :psyduck:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Zero accidents yesterday. :unsmith:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Congrats!

How much should I interfere in arguments between the dogs? I've been trying to let them work things out as long as it doesn't escalate and no-one's being a bully, is that ok? Also how do I deal with Vecna getting jealous? He body blocks her a lot when she's asking to be pet, should I make him knock it off? I've been getting up and walking away whenever he he blocks her and petting both of them if he's polite.

Sorry I know these are kind of dumb questions but I've never had two dogs before and I am a nervous micromanager :ohdear:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

TShields posted:

Zero accidents yesterday. :unsmith:

Wootage!!!

Did diddums get a treat for being good and holding it?

I was fortunate that my dogs were both housebroken when I got them. Although my first one had no problem going into the crate at night, he hated it in the daytime. What was suggested to me was "corralling" him in the kitchen/mudroom area with a doggie fence, as the floor is all tile and can't be messed up by poop or pee, and gave Gladstone room to wander around and be less a "prisoner" and less bored than being in a crate for three or four hours.

My current dog, Mr. Bobo, doesn't have (or need) a crate.

Effingham fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 17, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

Congrats!

How much should I interfere in arguments between the dogs? I've been trying to let them work things out as long as it doesn't escalate and no-one's being a bully, is that ok? Also how do I deal with Vecna getting jealous? He body blocks her a lot when she's asking to be pet, should I make him knock it off? I've been getting up and walking away whenever he he blocks her and petting both of them if he's polite.

Sorry I know these are kind of dumb questions but I've never had two dogs before and I am a nervous micromanager :ohdear:

I'd ask Vecna for a sit/stay or a down/stay and drop treats on him while you pat the new dog. Up the difficulty by being increasingly exciting with the new dog, all the while you're dropping treats down on Vecna for maintaining his position. Getting up and walking away for body blocks is good too, but I'd pair it with reinforcing proper behaviour.

With my dogs I have a zero tolerance policy for arguments, since with the size difference it's a huge safety concern. I'm lucky that neither are particularly combative. I'm paranoid, so I'd worry about escalating confrontations over a long period of time so I'd probably address lovely behaviour asap to nip it in the bud via time outs. Obviously recognize good behaviour like head turns, lip licks, yawns and other signs of deferral/appeasement with food, praise and other reinforcement.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
If I'm close enough to both dogs to pet one and treat the other, they're gonna get in an argument once food gets involved. Would it be okay to do the exercise with both dogs on lead and my husband and I each handling a dog? Kas has had some training at the shelter but I wouldn't call any of her behaviors solid and "Stay" and "leave it" seem to be mysteries to her.

Would you seperate them as soon as one lifts a lip at the other or they start body blocking? I've been putting them in timeout when they don't resolve things within a couple of seconds but I can jump in sooner if necessary. I know I have a tendency to hover and micromanage and I'm trying to avoid doing it in excess...

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Effingham posted:

Wootage!!!

Did diddums get a treat for being good and holding it?

I was fortunate that my dogs were both housebroken when I got them. Although my first one had no problem going into the crate at night, he hated it in the daytime. What was suggested to me was "corralling" him in the kitchen/mudroom area with a doggie fence, as the floor is all tile and can't be messed up by poop or pee, and gave Gladstone room to wander around and be less a "prisoner" and less bored than being in a crate for three or four hours.

My current dog, Mr. Bobo, doesn't have (or need) a crate.

Yep, gave him a nice little rawhide to gnaw on during TV time last night. We are trying to brainstorm areas to keep him for corralled, but haven't come to a consensus. Trying to keep the momentum today, but it's going to be a rough one- I'm going home for about an hour to let him get out and play, but after that we have dinner at my mom's.

Here's the little rascal with his favorite chew toy cat BFF and our other dog.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Do you have tile anywhere in your house? When I was living in Germany we couldn't crate (illegal) so I got an ex-pen and put it in the bathroom. It kept him from chewing stuff and getting into dangerous things and made clean up pretty easy. You could put a little "litterbox" in there too.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Triangulum posted:

Do you have tile anywhere in your house? When I was living in Germany we couldn't crate (illegal) so I got an ex-pen and put it in the bathroom. It kept him from chewing stuff and getting into dangerous things and made clean up pretty easy. You could put a little "litterbox" in there too.

We do- kitchen and bathrooms. We are a little worried that if we put him somewhere with cabinets he'd chew on the corners. He's teething quite a bit now, caught him going to town on the trim at a wall but he hasn't done that in a while. We don't have a ton of wide open spaces other than the middle of the kitchen. The dining room and living room are laminate, so don't want to do it there. Any suggestions of nice indoor pens we can buy that he won't be able to jump over or knock down?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly I just bought the cheapest one I could find. You definitely want one with removable panels though so you can size it to fit your bathroom. If you size it correctly, he shouldn't be able to knock it over or reach your cabinets. I pretty much just lined the walls with a pen if that makes sense. if for some reason you can't get it in the bathroom assembled, you can at least use the panels to cover up things he shouldn't chew. Once Vecna got too big for his pen we put half of it around the bookshelf to keep him from snatching things.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 17, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Triangulum posted:

If I'm close enough to both dogs to pet one and treat the other, they're gonna get in an argument once food gets involved. Would it be okay to do the exercise with both dogs on lead and my husband and I each handling a dog? Kas has had some training at the shelter but I wouldn't call any of her behaviors solid and "Stay" and "leave it" seem to be mysteries to her.

Would you seperate them as soon as one lifts a lip at the other or they start body blocking? I've been putting them in timeout when they don't resolve things within a couple of seconds but I can jump in sooner if necessary. I know I have a tendency to hover and micromanage and I'm trying to avoid doing it in excess...

Have you guys gone on a walk as one big family? It seems to help with stress and tension and keeps them from being 1 on 1 focused. Condie didn't like Cash until they started walking together. I had to do the same yesterday with Honey and Condie (it was a super short walk). This is just my personal experience. I don't try to use food as it just ups the tension too much, just lots of praise and duel belly rubs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do you guys feel about rawhides? My puppy has his full set of adult dog teeth and it seems he loves to chew stuff even more now, especially right before bed/naptime.

I also gave him a deer antler thing that he really loves, but its quickly being worn down to just a nub.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If he's going through antlers quickly, he'll go through rawhide even quicker (if my experience is any guide).

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Would I be correct in my assessment that it would probably be a bad idea to buy a puppy from "hobbyist" breeders whose website features 10 dogs on their "Our Moms" page, and 6 dogs on their "Our Dads" page. Also, the page is in Comic Sans.

A friend was looking at them for an upcoming litter, and based on the obsessive reading I've been doing for my own dog search, they seem pretty wonky.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Would I be correct in my assessment that it would probably be a bad idea to buy a puppy from "hobbyist" breeders whose website features 10 dogs on their "Our Moms" page, and 6 dogs on their "Our Dads" page. Also, the page is in Comic Sans.

A friend was looking at them for an upcoming litter, and based on the obsessive reading I've been doing for my own dog search, they seem pretty wonky.

Dog breeders are notoriously terrible at websites and often like cutesy terms but that would throw up red flags for me. Some responsible breeders do have that many dogs if they are small dogs or if several of them were co-owned and live with other people but I would want to know what the dogs have done to merit becoming "moms and dads" before signing up for any litters. Health testing (not just "the vet said she's healthy!") and some sort of evaluation by an outside party (showing, sports, active work) is the bare minimum to me.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I made a post a few weeks (maybe even months) back, asking advice adopting a shy shelter dog. I was all set to get her, but unfortunately my landlord ruled her too big. So instead I waited, and now I've got a four month old french bulldog from the shelter. Truth is the dogs I've had before I've taken as adults, I've never really had a puppy this young before. I've had him for a few days now, and man is he a bundle of contradictions. Inside his pen he's an absolute angel, he sits there perfectly quiet, lets you stroke him, sleeps regularly without howling at night, pees on the (temporary) bed in there, etc. etc.. When I take him out though, holy poo poo does this dog go loving mental. I'm talking about taking running leaps to headbutt walls, nipping at everything he can find, way more than just 'I'm glad I'm out of the pen'. It's like nothing I've ever seen - is this kind of 'dual personality' normal in a puppy?

I'd take him outside and let him go wild, but unfortunately he has to wait a week/ten days for his first vet visit where we can get heartworm immunisation/preventative medicine prescribed. It's high humid summer here in Japan and mosquitoes are everywhere. I don't want to take him outside until its safe, yet it seems he's got this huge energy and it seems kind of cruel to keep him in his pen... where he's perfectly calm and happy? :confused: Secondly I'm concerned about housetraining - I intend to get him to pee and poop outside which I obviously can't begin to teach just yet, but is making him go inside his pen for a week going to wreck any chance of this and ingrain 'peeing inside is okay' in his head?

Thanks for anything you could tell me, here's the obligatory picture:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I'm talking about taking running leaps to headbutt walls, nipping at everything he can find, way more than just 'I'm glad I'm out of the pen'. It's like nothing I've ever seen - is this kind of 'dual personality' normal in a puppy?
It sounds pretty normal for a 4 mo puppy, though my puppies have been more or less stuck in the "loving mental" stage until they grew out of it months later. Tape your pup doing this and post the video and it would be easier to tell? Be happy he knows how to settle in his pen, it's a handy skill for a dog to have.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I don't want to take him outside until its safe, yet it seems he's got this huge energy and it seems kind of cruel to keep him in his pen... where he's perfectly calm and happy? :confused: Secondly I'm concerned about housetraining - I intend to get him to pee and poop outside which I obviously can't begin to teach just yet, but is making him go inside his pen for a week going to wreck any chance of this and ingrain 'peeing inside is okay' in his head?

Thanks for anything you could tell me, here's the obligatory picture:

Regarding outside - It depends on your living situation. If you have a fenced yard that doesn't have lots of animals coming through it (raccoon, deer, other dogs and cats, etc) then you're probably pretty safe to let him run around outside. He should have had all of his shots at this point, so if that's the case, you just need to be on the lookout for mosquitoes for heartworm risk. Hopefully one of the vets can weigh in here, but I would think as long as you're not out there during mosquito primetime you're probably pretty safe as long as you get him on the heartworm meds within a week or so. I would be more concerned with properly socializing the little bugger. There is a great link about what this means in the OP.

For housetraining - Is there a reason you're putting a pee-pad in the crate? Review the OP for housetraining and crate guidelines. If you're gone 8 hours a day, then what you're doing is appropriate. If you work from home, there's no reason to delay proper housetraining, in my opinion, even in spite of the heartworm risk.

Like Rixatrix I'd like to see the video of him romping. A four month old puppy should have a ton of energy when he's not sleeping, so I would expect him to be a little crazy, especially if he has no or poor play manners. Make sure you look into puppy kindergartens and socialization groups that meet the requirements of the link in the OP.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Is there anything I can do about a dog who starts freaking the gently caress out and howling/squealing the second he hears our car door shut?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thanks for the replies, Rikatrix and Mr. Furious.

I took him out to try and take a video and he just sat there looking up at me. This dog, he really does confuse me. Earlier me and my wife sat up a larger 'arena' of sorts to try and let him run about indoors and he ended up vaulting over a coffee table to escape. I thought bulldogs were supposed to be docile...

The pee pad is in the pen because the shelter advised us to. He pees on it comfortably enough, but its becoming evident he's hesitant to poo on it probably because of that den instinct. As soon as I let him out to run about the house the first thing he does is try and squat. I work from home so I really do want to get him outside, but mosquitoes are pretty rife here, I'm bitten 3-4 times a week. I really don't know the prevalence of heartworm, but it's a matter of weighing up a few more days in the pen versus potentially a heart parasite. Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I took him out to try and take a video and he just sat there looking up at me. This dog, he really does confuse me. Earlier me and my wife sat up a larger 'arena' of sorts to try and let him run about indoors and he ended up vaulting over a coffee table to escape. I thought bulldogs were supposed to be docile...

The pee pad is in the pen because the shelter advised us to. He pees on it comfortably enough, but its becoming evident he's hesitant to poo on it probably because of that den instinct. As soon as I let him out to run about the house the first thing he does is try and squat. I work from home so I really do want to get him outside, but mosquitoes are pretty rife here, I'm bitten 3-4 times a week. I really don't know the prevalence of heartworm, but it's a matter of weighing up a few more days in the pen versus potentially a heart parasite. Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing.

Hah. Docile? I know some Frenchies who are the most active, antagonistic and bullheaded creatures I've ever met. Some are kind of lazy, but most border on crazy.

It just sounds like you've got a crazy puppy. Start to try to channel his energy, show him appropriate methods of play and work to engage him so he learns to want to listen to you. Focus primarily on positive reinforcement. Show the dog what you want him to do, and then make it worth his while to do so. And remember that you have a 4 month old puppy -- it's at about the same developmental stage as a toddler.

TShields posted:

Is there anything I can do about a dog who starts freaking the gently caress out and howling/squealing the second he hears our car door shut?

Separation anxiety? Or excitement triggered by the sound?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I'd recommend you start looking into treat dispensing toys. This will help burn physical and mental energy during the day if you feed his meals out of it. Recommendations in the OP for some starters.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

a life less posted:

Separation anxiety? Or excitement triggered by the sound?

He's just excited we're home. I'll have to record it to give you the full effect, he goes loving bonkers when we get home and it starts when he hears the car door slam. You can hear him from the driveway. Squealing, barking, clawing at the door of his cage.. I'll try to remember to record it when I get home today. Then when we do let him out, he runs around like a maniac, which gets the other dog worked up..

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ignore him for the first little while that you're home. Consider leaving him in the crate until he's calm (though that may not be an option as he's probably desperate to potty) or just don't even look at him for the first 20 minutes or so that you're back. And when you do finally acknowledge him, do it calmly. Disengage if it gets him riled up again.

Plan to do this for several weeks or months before you see a marked improvement. Make it a habit of ignoring the dogs for the first little while you're home going forward.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Edit:^^^gently caress

Do you do anything particular when you get home? Like praise/say hello/cuddle profusely?

You may want to try holding off on any greeting until the dog sits and settles down. Then you can proceed with the "ohmygawdImissedyoucomehereforbellyrubs".

Eventually, the dog should learn that it doesn't get any attention for being crazy when you get home but that slobber/kisses/rubs only occur for acting calmly.

However, some small level of excitement should always be expected.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I don't think I can ignore him since - as you're all well aware - he does generally need to potty pretty badly. So generally I put down, the mail and my laptop, say a quick hello to my favorite cat who thinks he's a dog that always greets me at the door, and run let the pups out. It's made worse by the fact that the puppy can see you pretty much immediately after entering the house. The old dog still gets excited and wants to jump all over you when you actually do let her out, but she's pretty chill in her crate these days.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

TShields posted:

I don't think I can ignore him since - as you're all well aware - he does generally need to potty pretty badly. So generally I put down, the mail and my laptop, say a quick hello to my favorite cat who thinks he's a dog that always greets me at the door, and run let the pups out. It's made worse by the fact that the puppy can see you pretty much immediately after entering the house. The old dog still gets excited and wants to jump all over you when you actually do let her out, but she's pretty chill in her crate these days.

You have an absolutely uncanny ability to make excuses while offering nothing constructive in response.

Maybe leave him in his crate for a few minutes longer. Maybe put a leash on him and usher him outside while ignoring him and keeping as calm/ambivalent as possible. Maybe fix your older dog's behaviour issues at the same time. Maybe uncrate your dogs one at a time. Maybe opt not to attempt to address the problem at all and have a screaming puppy for eternity. Doesn't matter to anyone but you.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea he's learning to be a crazy dog to get out of the crate. It will translate over when he needs to be crated while you're home. Most things with dog behavior can be fixed by ignoring the behavior and then showing the correct way to act. If he's still freaking out after potty breaks lure him back in the crate and wait for him to chill. Try reinforcing by treating as soon as he is quiet in the crate.

He is a puppy that's been in a crate all day so he will be absolutely crazy with energy and excitement.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

a life less posted:

You have an absolutely uncanny ability to make excuses while offering nothing constructive in response.

Your opinion is very important to me. I value the the opinions of strangers on the internet.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yea he's learning to be a crazy dog to get out of the crate. It will translate over when he needs to be crated while you're home. Most things with dog behavior can be fixed by ignoring the behavior and then showing the correct way to act. If he's still freaking out after potty breaks lure him back in the crate and wait for him to chill. Try reinforcing by treating as soon as he is quiet in the crate.

He is a puppy that's been in a crate all day so he will be absolutely crazy with energy and excitement.

I can try that. I've never had any need to crate the dogs while we're home, though, but it might be a good thing for them to learn if it ever comes up. He's super good about getting into his crate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

TShields posted:

Your opinion is very important to me. I value the the opinions of strangers on the internet.

You're the one in a thread asking questions, and some damned smart,talented people (such as a life less) are offering you input, and you're just saying "nah, what next?" without trying it. She is right. Ignore the puppy/leash him and ignore him as you drag him for potty time. The dog won't change without you changing the pattern of behavior.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Siochain posted:

You're the one in a thread asking questions, and some damned smart,talented people (such as a life less) are offering you input, and you're just saying "nah, what next?" without trying it. She is right. Ignore the puppy/leash him and ignore him as you drag him for potty time. The dog won't change without you changing the pattern of behavior.

Granted, but not every solution works for every household, and you can't get pissy when I decide an option won't work for me. I don't leash him when I take him out, and I really don't plan to start. We have a fenced in back yard specifically for the dogs. He knows enough to walk down the stairs, pee, and come back- or run around and play if he's in the mood. If I open the crate and put a leash on him, I'll go from having a screaming puppy jumping around when I get home to having a screaming puppy jumping around with a leash on him.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

TShields posted:

Granted, but not every solution works for every household, and you can't get pissy when I decide an option won't work for me. I don't leash him when I take him out, and I really don't plan to start. We have a fenced in back yard specifically for the dogs. He knows enough to walk down the stairs, pee, and come back- or run around and play if he's in the mood. If I open the crate and put a leash on him, I'll go from having a screaming puppy jumping around when I get home to having a screaming puppy jumping around with a leash on him.

Silently uncrate puppy, do not greet, take him to the yard and greet after he's toileted. Then uncrate the other dog so they can't feed off of each other's excitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TShields posted:

Are you keeping sure to assert calm dominance? Have you tried a ThunderShirt? Maybe a shock collar with some gentle corrections would help teach your puppy to calm down. Or let him out of his crate and immediately alpha roll him until he realizes you are The Boss and relaxes into his role in your Wolf Pack. I'm not sure what advice you're looking for but a life less is a lot more experienced than most of us at positive training and it's worth your time to figure out a way to try what she suggests.

I'm not sure that the puppy is excited to see you. He's probably just really excited to go outside and take the leak he's been trying to hold for 9 hours (or to finally get out of his own filth). It seems borderline cruel to ask him to hold it a second longer than he has to. Maybe if you get somebody to let him out for a potty break halfway through the day he wouldn't be so crazy.