Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

wheeeeee slides!

also finger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Awwww.... The airplane is tired and decided to take a nap.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Go home Boeing, you're drunk.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
More from Facebook:

quote:

UPDATE: Southwest Airlines ‪#‎flight345‬ landed at New York’s LaGuardia at 5:40 PM Eastern Monday evening from Nashville. The aircraft is a Boeing 737-700. Eyewitness reports indicate the aircraft’s nosegear collapsed upon landing. There were 150 people on board including Customers and Crew. All Customers have been deplaned and transferred to the terminal. Initial reports indicate local responders are caring for five Customers and three flight attendants who have reported injuries at this time. Southwest is cooperating with local authorities, and the NTSB has been notified.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Took on a turkey vulture in a BK-117 today. The BK won, and claimed a souvenir.

Polymerized Cum fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 23, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boeing can't catch a break this month PR wise can they.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

Super jealous of the 7X. Tri jets are my favorite.

It is a nice aircraft, but it's a lot like a trophy wife. You had better treat it the way it wants to be treated or it's going to make you miserable and poor.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Boeing can't catch a break this month PR wise can they.

Well, it was a 777 for Asiana but most of the attention is focused on the pilots / training / firetrucks hitting that chick / etc at least. Though, every time the words 'battery', 'fire' and 'airplane' are used together, it is going to suck for Boeing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

You need to turn that into a key chain or something.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 23, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

wheeeeee slides!

also finger

What's that dome on the top? Satellite TV / Wifi?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yeah it's the dome for Row 44

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
This SWA incident reminds me of an amazing video I ran into lately. I'd imagine it would be preferable to lose the front gear so you can skid to a stop in a relatively straight line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3syTxW85Ik

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBqQ5TCB-jQ

Video from inside of the 737.

That seemed as pretty steep/hard landing, even before the nose hit the ground.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kerrow posted:

Probably trying to bump the gear, given they knew it wasn't locking in place.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kerrow posted:

Pilot error or the horizontal stabilizer controls failed, there is no indication of a flare there.

SybilVimes posted:

Probably trying to bump the gear, given they knew it wasn't locking in place.

Where have you seen that?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Okay!

I am such a child.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kilonum posted:

Where have you seen that?

Could have sworn one of the news articles on it yesterday stated that they knew the gear wasn't locking. There again, given the lack of any sign of any of them being told to brace in that video, maybe not, and the airline's statement states there was no signs of the gear failing, so guess not.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The FAA's first statement indicated the pilots knew there was a gear malfunction, but they later rescinded that.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Cock Democracy posted:

This SWA incident reminds me of an amazing video I ran into lately. I'd imagine it would be preferable to lose the front gear so you can skid to a stop in a relatively straight line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3syTxW85Ik

Videos of pilots being amazing should not have youtube comments enabled, there's some real groaners on that one. Amazing landing though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Probably Photoshop, but fair's fair

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Slo-Tek posted:

There are a couple Saberliners in the Monstrocity climbing structure at the City Museum.

But they also have a Jet Star hull in the garage that will eventually be incorporated in getting the entire structure up to the 10th story roof. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

:stare: Holy poo poo, the City Museum has changed since the last time I was there.

So, speaking of museums, the family and I are going to be passing through VA Beach/NPN/Norfolk on the way to the Outer Banks again this year. This year I want to finally take the time to do some museum visiting but I don't know what they've got down there. I know the Naval Aviation Museum is down in Pensacola, but are there any Navy aviation museums around that area? Failing that, any other good Navy museums down there?

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 23, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Pilot error or the horizontal stabilizer controls failed, there is no indication of a flare there.

:wtc:?? What drugs were you on when you came up with this?

Anyway, nose gear collapse ain't no thang, this is how you do it in style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loTPkN_IqM8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Alternately,

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

movax posted:

Probably Photoshop, but fair's fair

Probably? The "Coming up: Interviews with Flight Instructor: Haywood U. Fly-Moore AND Skeptical Passenger: Macy Lawyers" wasn't a dead giveaway?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Geoj posted:

Probably? The "Coming up: Interviews with Flight Instructor: Haywood U. Fly-Moore AND Skeptical Passenger: Macy Lawyers" wasn't a dead giveaway?

I toyed with pointing out that you can see the original CNN bits under the pasted on parts, and you'd have to be blind to think that it was real.
Then I realised that might be 'mod sass' so never said it :tizzy:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, the City Museum has changed since the last time I was there.

So, speaking of museums, the family and I are going to be passing through VA Beach/NPN/Norfolk on the way to the Outer Banks again this year. This year I want to finally take the time to do some museum visiting but I don't know what they've got down there. I know the Naval Aviation Museum is down in Pensacola, but are there any Navy aviation museums around that area? Failing that, any other good Navy museums down there?

It's a little out of the way but there's an aviation museum at Patuxent River. I haven't been there but it's close by for me so it's on my short list.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Geoj posted:

The Korean characters in the lower right read Haha News.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
This is a link to a bunch more photos I took at the Royal Air Tattoo at the weekend. And here are a few from that set. I had an absolute blast and have already booked tickets for next year as its the 50th anniversary of the Red Arrows.

Royal Dutch Airforce F16

Avro Vulcan B2

Eurofighter Typhoon

Eurofighter Typhoon

Panavia Tornado GR4

Saab JAS 39EBA HU Gripen

Red Arrows Hawk T1

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

Out in the sticks; they've got a grass field, and sometimes fly their stuff. They've got more than planes there, too. They had a BMW motorcycle with sidecar in Afrika Korps trim, an 88mm, and some Russian Jeep-things.

Much of their stuff is flying or near-flyable condition. Really cool place. It's basically just two or three somewhat large hangars, but well worth it because of how very very very close they let you get (touching, if you ask nicely).

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Isn't that gone now? I thought they were liquidating their aircraft because the old guy who owned all of them lost his shirt on a chain of for-profit scammy-rear end tech schools. I may be misunderstanding it, but that's the reason I was told when their ME-262 and the Mosquito were pulled from Thunder Over Michigan.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

I toyed with pointing out that you can see the original CNN bits under the pasted on parts, and you'd have to be blind to think that it was real.
Then I realised that might be 'mod sass' so never said it :tizzy:

:downs:

Wasn't paying attention whatsoever, heh. And no that wouldn't be mod sass (IMO) and here's a secret: I don't have any power in this subforum :ssh:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Isn't that gone now? I thought they were liquidating their aircraft because the old guy who owned all of them lost his shirt on a chain of for-profit scammy-rear end tech schools. I may be misunderstanding it, but that's the reason I was told when their ME-262 and the Mosquito were pulled from Thunder Over Michigan.

I sure hope not. I was there a couple years back; I'd planned on going when I was back in town in a few weeks.

If it's all gone, I will be sad.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

DoesNotCompute posted:

Videos of pilots being amazing should not have youtube comments enabled, there's some real groaners on that one. Amazing landing though.

Looks just fine to me.

Google herp derp plugin. Installed it a while back on all my computers, never looked back.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I don't care what anyone says. I think the Typhoon and the Gripen are sexy planes. Especially the Gripen. If I was a rich eccentric multi-billionaire, I would buy one as my personal private jet.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Yeah, I was worried when Bob Cassilly died (rolling his bulldozer working on Cementland) that the pace would slow down, but they are still churning that place like crazy. Every month there is something new. The roof is nice as hell, and a lot of additions to the monstrocity, with a major addition, possibly to the roof slated for this fall.

As far as museums go, I really like the Mariners Museum in Newport News http://www.marinersmuseum.org/
The Battleship North Carolina in Wilmington is nice, it has the sweetass early war splinter/dazzle camo. http://www.battleshipnc.com/
The NC aquariums are nice mid-sized aquariums. Not world-class, or enormous, but nice and worth a 45 minmute drive and 10$ to get in. There are several, go to whichever is nearby. http://www.ncaquariums.com/

The Battleship Wisconsin is at Nauticus in Norfolk, I've never been. The Wisconsin is way bigger than the North Carolina. http://www.nauticus.org/

North Carolina has a ton of tiny little semi-local museums, I was pretty tickled by the one with the Talos missile out front at Topsail Beach.

The Virginia War Museum in NPN isn't exactly cutting edge museum science, but they've got an interesting collection. http://www.warmuseum.org/

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 24, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kerrow posted:

Why is it a video of a video?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CharlesM posted:

Why is it a video of a video?

Because youtube. Every time I try to find a clip of a tv show that has a quotable line or something, the first eighteen results are dipshits with camera phones trying desperately to keep the tv in-frame through a Parkinson's "bad day."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Because youtube. Every time I try to find a clip of a tv show that has a quotable line or something, the first eighteen results are dipshits with camera phones trying desperately to keep the tv in-frame through a Parkinson's "bad day."

I think this is because those are the only ones that haven't been auto removed by whatever filtering youtube uses for copyrighted material.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's actually how it was shown on TV though :P
http://pix11.com/2013/07/23/latest-on-southwest-plane-investigation-and-why-it-could-have-been-much-worse/#axzz2Zw0erty2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I love that article. "If something completely different happened it could have been really bad!"