Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...nd-jobs-report/

So how bad is it in Cold Lake anyway? There isn't really any data in the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

That's every master bomb.

So loving true. I've never seen a gunner yell at a private, but I'm sure there's one out there.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

tuyop posted:

So how bad is it in Cold Lake anyway? There isn't really any data in the article.

I have heard it is pretty difficult if you have a family to support and the article is correct about the high price of housing out that way. Also it is pretty isolated so if you are not the ATV'ing, fishing and hunting kinda person it can be pretty dull. I think the last time I spoke to my career manager the one thing I made clear was that under no circumstances do I want a isolated or semi isolated posting.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

It's really bad. I live near Cold Lake, and work at 4 Wing through DnD on a casual contract. Have some fun rough numbers. Looking at the local online trading post thing, right now, in the town right beside base(Cold Lake ofc), a nice 1 bedroom basement suite unfurnished with utilities included costs 1800 a month. A 1 year lease on a 2 bedroom 1000 sq foot older house(utilities included) costs 2200 a month unfurnished. To actually go and buy a house, a small ~700 square foot single story house with garage costs ~250k. A decent sized 1200 sq foot home for a family of 5-ish with garage is going for 325 thousand. On top of that, Cold Lake's property's taxes are some of the highest in western Canada, at 7.15%, with property values sky high due to the demand from all the oilfield workers.

When I worked at the local pizza joints around here for about a year, about 5 of the 10 drivers were all guys in the military. A healthy portion of the Walmart's workforce are all guys in the military. So, to answer your question, it's pretty bad out here. Also, living here you have to deal with every single person just loving having to own a big jacked up truck with aftermarket mufflers, regardless if they need/could use one, or hell, even afford if they were to miss a paycheque. The local highways are practically terrifying to drive on because of all the 20 somethings driving these vehicles around like idiots, as well as drinking and driving back from the bush parties. If you haven't got the picture yet, I'll state it plainly. If you have the opportunity/are told you're being posted here, do every possible thing you can to make it not happen within reason. Almost everyone I know that are in the Forces hates it out here, and wish they never had to come. Save yourself :negative:

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Huh all that makes me feel bad for bitching about the high cost of living in Halifax.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

scaper exile posted:

Huh all that makes me feel bad for bitching about the high cost of living in Halifax.

Halifax is a little dumb for costs though. Sure the housing costs less, but we've noticed that every other thing here costs considerably more than in Victoria. But it's still a far cry from what those people in the Pool are paying. Yikes, am I ever glad I got out of there when I did.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

scaper exile posted:

I know exactly who you are talking about...Hispanic guy right? He seriously spent half the classes talking about how he had all these university degrees and other delightful stories about how awesome he was...

He randomly walked up to our platoon one fine summer day in 2008 and told us for no apparent reason that he just lost his shirt in the stock market crash...kind of an odd fellow.

Yeah thats him I was in St. Jean in the summer of 08 and he taught me weapons. gently caress he loved to jack up. He also liked to talk about how many push ups he could do, little man syndrome. I remember that stock market crash, I didnt find out about it till like Oct when I graduated.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Sir John Eh posted:

Halifax is a little dumb for costs though. Sure the housing costs less, but we've noticed that every other thing here costs considerably more than in Victoria. But it's still a far cry from what those people in the Pool are paying. Yikes, am I ever glad I got out of there when I did.

Whatever you save in the mortgage you loose in the higher Income and Property taxes in Halifax. Plus the housing market in Victoria is hurting right now so you can find semi-reasonably priced places (especially the condo market...). I'm probably headed to Sea Training on my next posting which means another move to Halifax and I'm not looking forward to the cost.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

MA-Horus posted:

So absolutely nothing changes for the Army save for divisions?

Who gives a gently caress? Seriously, why is this change occurring? Are there not more important issues to address in today's forces?

It's for MORALE GODDAMNIT.

Flashy ranks and things will solve all these problems!

Nothing to see here! All is well!

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Turns out it was sort of an Honorary Colonel Mafia that lobbied the government for it, no one in the army asked for it nor do they seem to want it.

Meanwhile:

quote:

And we are still waiting for boots (watching a BMQ in Kingston, still have at least a handfull marching in running shoes. Their field portion will be sheer hell....)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Now here's where there should NOT be a competition. Lets look at other militaries that have to deal with similar terrain and climate issues and buy what they have.

Mainly the Germans. I bet they have great boots.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Now here's where there should NOT be a competition. Lets look at other militaries that have to deal with similar terrain and climate issues and buy what they have.

gently caress it, lets just go native: Mukluks for the winter, moccasins for the summer :black101:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Haha, did you see the guy with the orange and white runners, stands out a mile?

I'm here until Sept on my DP1. At least Stores was able to replace my garbage bag goretex, but...

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

MA-Horus posted:

Probably the Swedes and Norwegians would be good for comparable climates as well.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Probably the Swedes and Norwegians would be good for comparable climates as well.

I doubt they're as nasty muggy in the summer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Wait, do they not issue boots in BMQ? :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Budget cuts, man. *Puts in PPNS order for $35 pens and $70 notebooks, just a drop in the budget for the 1600/month office PPNS fund!*

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Your home unit should've taken care of that, and also there's a national shortage because the orders have to be resubmitted every time the guy who enters them gets replaced, which is bimonthly. "

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
At my old unit they had extra money one year and somebody decided to buy fake plants for the second floor offices. In the meantime we asked for better working gloves and it was a no no.

They have to stop doing "lets save up money all year long and waste it on useless poo poo in march so we don't get a budget cut" thing.

Some higher up need to explain that one to me.

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 24, 2013

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Well I know when I worked in the Tool Crib and was in charge of ordering tools we were told all year to keep orders at a minimum unless something was needed for a project, then at the end of the year I was told to order everything under the sun to meet our budget expectations. The whole troop got brand new $150 leatherman multitools, new mechanix work gloves, all brand new cordless tools and $400 hammers.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

Well I know when I worked in the Tool Crib and was in charge of ordering tools we were told all year to keep orders at a minimum unless something was needed for a project, then at the end of the year I was told to order everything under the sun to meet our budget expectations. The whole troop got brand new $150 leatherman multitools, new mechanix work gloves, all brand new cordless tools and $400 hammers.

CAFappropriations.txt

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My release appointment is tomorrow morning, then I start retirement leave!

I feel like I should have more feelings at this point. I just turned in my last pair of combats but I still don't really believe that I'm actually getting out. I just have such a small amount of trust in any part of the CF that I think they're going to pull some "Oh we lost your pers file so you have to stay in for another three weeks while we print off the forms again" poo poo.

I mean, they lost my loving release date amendment memo of all things.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Does anyone know how to get a hold of the Brookfield book that tells you everything you're entitled to for a move? I think their website has something different.

I just want to know if it's okay to drive through the states to get to the destination.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You don't have to give them gas receipts and I doubt they are gonna call the US Border Patrol and check. That being said i did it a bunch of times.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

It's not against the rules. In some cases it's faster to drive through the US, and it doesn't cost them any more money.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Thanks for the info. It's definitely going to be cheaper in gas, and take out 3 hours of the trip.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm almost done filling out the paperwork to become an ACISS with Reserves in the Edmonton Signals Reg. (41st Signals) after spending a little time talking with a recruiter.
I'm excited! Man it's a lot of paperwork though. Getting my HS transcript is a pain the rear end.

What should I know as a PvtRct? Other then what I got told already, such as the (to a civilian) funny thought that I'll probably be working for a bit before I go into basic, as just a pair of arms that can do manual labour.
Also, can anybody clarify what the law is wrt active personnel in the reserves and firearm ownership? As far as I can tell serving members can own a handgun, but that seems to vary by province and, as per usual, it's a clusterfuck trying to pin down exactly what the law is. I would love to be able to own and maintain my own service firearm.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 14, 2013

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

When it comes to firearms ownership, a reservist is no different than a civvy. It's the army, not the police.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Aw, while I'm slightly disappointed it's nice to finally have that cleared up. Most places I looked didn't have a distinction for Reserves/Regular Force.
That does make sense too, no reason a weekend soldier should be special in the law. Oh well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's the same in the regular force as well. You can be qualified to train people to fire rocket launchers but you can't own a .22 rifle in your private life without whatever permits are required of everyone else.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yep, you don't even get a qual granted for a PAL/ARPAL.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

tuyop posted:

It's the same in the regular force as well. You can be qualified to train people to fire rocket launchers but you can't own a .22 rifle in your private life without whatever permits are required of everyone else.

That never has, and never will make sense to me. The firearms course I took after my time learning and handling CF weapons was so watered down. You're basically taught how to put a weapon on safety and identify different types of ammo. We didn't cover cleaning, stripping, actual information pertaining to firearms, etc.

If you're qualified to teach people to shoot automatic weapons, you shouldn't have to go through all that poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

You don't HAVE to take the course. You can challenge the test.

Remember, it's a Firearms SAFETY course that you take, not a firearms handling and maintenance course. It's basically "This is how you carry and store and safety grandpa's hunting rifle/shotgun without blowing your child's head off"

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Okay so, let's assume that lil' ol PvtRCT me wants to own a Browning HiPower, the same as his service firearm (I think?).
Is this at all possible, and if so what hoops would I have to dance through?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If you aren't an officer, aircrew, medic or MP, your primary weapon will be the C-7 and its variants. You'd gain no advantage from pistol practice.

If you already have a restricted firearms license, I imagine the only barrier to owning that particular weapon would be finding one. If you don't, read this. For all the misery involved you'd be better off to see if there's a range nearby that can rent you a similar weapon.

:eng101: Also, your rank is Pte(R).

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
So I've just applied for the reserves here in BC, and after speaking with the recruitment officer at Chiliwack, it seems the only trades they are really open for are Clerks and Infantry. Neither of which I'm too keen on, but without leaving BC or commuting to Vancouver I don't have too much of an option. Is that him trying to suggest trades? or will there really be no other openings?

Also, I guess its my turn to ask, anything I should know besides "Start hitting the gym now?" (I got it beat by a year)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

If you aren't an officer, aircrew, medic or MP, your primary weapon will be the C-7 and its variants. You'd gain no advantage from pistol practice.

If you already have a restricted firearms license, I imagine the only barrier to owning that particular weapon would be finding one. If you don't, read this. For all the misery involved you'd be better off to see if there's a range nearby that can rent you a similar weapon.

:eng101: Also, your rank is Pte(R).

I'm already learning things, I figured we would have a side arm while on duty.
Ask around at your local armoury guy above me, I did and found out they need ACISS guys hecka bad.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Ahahahahahaha.... Sorry about that. No, you won't carry around a sidearm, unless you happen to go MP, but then you'll have a Sig P225 to more easily fit the standard girlish hands of most MPs make the infantry curious as to why meatheads get a modern pistol and we have to make do with war stocks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dementedghost posted:

So I've just applied for the reserves here in BC, and after speaking with the recruitment officer at Chiliwack, it seems the only trades they are really open for are Clerks and Infantry. Neither of which I'm too keen on, but without leaving BC or commuting to Vancouver I don't have too much of an option. Is that him trying to suggest trades? or will there really be no other openings?

Also, I guess its my turn to ask, anything I should know besides "Start hitting the gym now?" (I got it beat by a year)

It's a bad time to join the CAF right now, there aren't too many options for people just coming off the street.

You don't need to be extremely fit, but every bit of fitness that you have will make the stressful parts of your new job and lifestyle easier, pretty much regardless of trade. Just figure out if you want to make more or less of a contribution to your team in pretty much every environment, and how much stress and discomfort that's worth to you.

I don't even know if I should be posting in this thread anymore, my last day of retirement leave was August 11th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

You will never want a BHP after using the ones in the Forces. They are bad.