Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's a S15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Deeters posted:

Is that a baby stroller in the back too?

Yep. It looked like there were kids in the back, but it was so piled up with crap it was hard to tell.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Was about to say, wasn't boxy enough to be an S13's butt/tail lights.

Unfortunate. Then again, when the owner bought those wheels, I imagine the vehicle's fate was sealed.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
From Jalopnik

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Got the "YEAH DUDE!" peace sign as we drove by from the driver.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's going to be fun explaining how he managed to register a S15.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
An illegally imported S15 from Florida? What a surprise that is.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

b0nes posted:

From Jalopnik

That's pretty scary to look at :catstare:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

b0nes posted:

From Jalopnik

Commodore driver, doesn't surprise me

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Pre-crash:

Still belongs in this thread with those wheels.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My wheel knowledge kung fu is not the greatest, but they appear to be TE37's which immediately make anything awesome regardless of color.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They look like standard coloured gram lights (57Ds?)which are very nice, forged wheels. Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
If I ever meet the motherfucker who invented PlastiDip i'm going to break his loving jaw.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
If I ever meet the motherfucker who invented PlastiDip i'm going to break his loving jaw.
________/

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Some of you catch a case of the stupids over the smallest things. Shut up.

This is terrible.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

wallaka posted:

This is terrible.

Did they drive that thing into the Gulf of Mexico every day?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'm thinking it's actually from Wisconsin or Michigan. The guy that owns it has the accent. The weather here is Bronco heaven.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

wallaka posted:

This is terrible.

Mr. Lucky has to be an ironic nickname.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

It looks like it drove there so I'd consider that man pretty lucky.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

The only thing I want to add here, is that those double C-channel lower control arms? Those are the stock control arms for that generation Suburban and Chevy/GMC pickup. They're called "truck arms" and actually work very well in the application for which they were intended. NASCAR cars use a variation of them, and there's a company that makes kits to put them in other cars. They give you some very good handling characteristics and ride quality in a street car. The air bags in the rear are in the stock soil spring location.
Now, on this truck...
They were never intended for any kind of lift. They SHOULDN'T need upper control arms. They're supposed to attach solidly to the rear axle on pads like a leaf spring. That's why the moron had to add the eye bolts to the front ones - there's no provision for a bushing at that end. The control arms are supposed to twist when the axle moves only at one end, so no anti-sway bar is needed, just the panhard link. That upper link would be unnecessary if the rearend was mounted to the truck arms correctly (it's not - boy, is it not.)
I get where the guy was going trying to use the truck arms in the front - some of the big-lift monsters use fabricated arms like that. His skills an knowledge just let him down. I have no idea why it never occurred to his guy to cut the coil mounts off the axle and move them inboard. Or use a bit of pipe for a frame mount for the coils.
If it had originally been a 4x4 Suburban, I think it would have had leaf springs all around, but the truck arms and coils are stock (in the rear) for the 2-wheel drive.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what the gently caress he's doing with the body, but I think he's moved the rear wheel well rearward, and the only thing I can come up with on the rear roof section is that he's trying to make it removable like a Blazer, possibly even fitting a Blazer rear shell. Also, there shouldn't be a rear door handle on the driver's side, because there's no door there. That generation Suburban only had a rear door on the passenger side.
I drove my dad's 72 GMC Suburban for about a year. I really liked that truck.

edit: yeah, Google image search confirms he's moved the rear wheel wells back the width of the gap in front of them. The axle should be further forward on the arms, but not that much, so I'm not sure what that's about.

ahhh, good to know! So apparently the control arms are fine, just... the way they are attached is a disaster. I bet the rear lower control arms (which should have been just control arms or radius arms, as you noted) are mounted to the frame just fine using the stock mounts, and that abortion of a double shear mount with the bolt, spacer nut, and 1/8 and 3/16 plate as well as half of an XJ sheetmetal lower control arm booger welded to the end of the Suburban control arm he used is for the frame side mount of the new front lower control arms.

So much on that thing could have been done properly with the same parts (though those axles are incredibly narrow and weak for that vehicle) if he'd just not had his head lodged securely in his rear end in a top hat.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Am I the only one who loves super bright out of place colored rims?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ugh super strong super light weight race wheels?! I can't even... Ugh. Just give me my thin heavy poverty spec ford focus wheels any day of the week thanks!!! Also anything colourful is don't with rattle cans and not a proper job !!!! Ugh.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I do too, but for some reason I just don't really like bright orange on a medium gray color. I love the wheels just not the color combo on that car. But we all have our likes/dislikes :)

*edit* are those pink or orange? It's hard to tell.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 24, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just Plasti-Dipped my 16" steelies on brand new winter tires lime green and I am moving to San Diego in a few months. I wonder if they'll sell for more on Craigslist with the Dip on or off.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

wallaka posted:

I'm thinking it's actually from Wisconsin or Michigan. The guy that owns it has the accent. The weather here is Bronco heaven.

As someone from Wisconsin it looks like a truck from Wisconsin and the Wisconsin accent is awesome. Jah der hey! My family still speaks german so my wisconsin accent is pretty thick.

http://www.folklib.net/history/scansin.shtml

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

G-Mach posted:

As someone from Wisconsin it looks like a truck from Wisconsin and the Wisconsin accent is awesome. Jah der hey! My family still speaks german so my wisconsin accent is pretty thick.

Uff da

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Those S15 wheels would look a lot better if, they, you know, fit

Also no one's commented on the wheel gap, he's practically got that Bronco beat

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

G-Mach posted:

Yep, most of those are familiar having grown up in the Milwaukee area. The list seems to be missing a few choice terms a Pole might say, but maybe the list is trying to be PG-13

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I do things. Horrible things. I have no regrets.

Advan Super's no less :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 24, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Yep, most of those are familiar having grown up in the Milwaukee area. The list seems to be missing a few choice terms a Pole might say, but maybe the list is trying to be PG-13

Yeah, it's mostly german accent stuff. A lot of the Polish stuff is definitely not pg-13 and a lot rarer to hear.

Wanna come with er no?

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 24, 2013

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

G-Mach posted:

This is hilarious to a German. Several of these are literal translations of things you'd say here, terrible grammatical structure and all.

Also, I believe that page is trash talking sheepshead and that will not stand. Sheepshead owns bones (Doppelkopf is still better, though). :colbert:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

parrhesia posted:

This is hilarious to a German. Several of these are literal translations of things you'd say here, terrible grammatical structure and all.

Also, I believe that page is trash talking sheepshead and that will not stand. Sheepshead owns bones (Doppelkopf is still better, though). :colbert:

That's because it's a accent of the descendants of German immigrants (I'm 100% german still). We basically speak English with a German grammatical structure so it's really confusing to others. An lot of English words get replaced with German words as well.

Sheepshead is pretty awesome.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That list is nearly perfect for describing the crazy accent of Northeast PA as well. Add a touch more NY/NJ drawl and a few Yiddish words and you've got it.

My stepfather is the funniest. I've brought a few people home for a visit and two of them couldn't understand a word he was saying.

D'jeet yet? (Did you eat yet?)

Nah, j'oo? (No did you?)

Let's go up da line to de Eynon and grab some sliders, eh? Nice out enna? (We should go in the northerly direction following what used to be the rail line to a town called Eynon and grab some sliders, what do you think? Nice day isn't it?)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No, I do. It depends on the colour of the car of course (It seems to work best with White/Black/Grey/Beige).

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

some texas redneck posted:

Who needs tires?

All I know is that cars in GTA4 handle better when all the tires are blown out so it must work the same way in real life right?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Devyl posted:

Pre-crash:

Still belongs in this thread with those wheels.

Stretched Tires. Not even Once. Let's talk about reduced contact patches and how they affect traction. Looks like there's room for at least an inch more tread width on each (awesome red) wheel.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stretching doesn't even look good. I've never understood the attraction.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That's terrible, but it would be hilarious to take that car to a Honda dealership and tell the service people that "my car is doing a funny thing please help" with a confused and concerned look on your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

animeliker posted:

Stretching doesn't even look good. I've never understood the attraction.

The European VW people did it out of a hipsteresque desire to seem poor, and the human centipede of stupidity that is modern car culture brought it to the US VW scene, then to the Honda scene, and on to everyone else.