Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Calax posted:

Found the one with the names.

How did Yu Jin become more effeminate than Zhang He?
That Meng Huo and Zhu Rong are their best outfits ever :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

5er posted:

I particularly adore the second episode of GameCenter CX where KOEI's lead developer, with a serious and earnest face advised the interviewer that the ending of Kessen 2 brought tears of genuine emotion to his eyes. If I remember right, it's been a long time... Cao Cao took a lightning bolt to his loving head while his closest, dearest ally Liu Bei holds him as he dies. I was crying too but I think it was gastronomic pain.

This is not what happens.

In Liu Bei's ending, Cao Cao is laying on the ground dying after the big battle and he gives Diao Chan his hairpin, which is apparently the imperial seal or something. He tells Diao Chan that Liu Bei should make a world where "People like me cannot be born" or something along those lines. In Cao Cao's storyline, we find out that Liu Bei and Cao Cao are secretly brothers :aaaaa: and after the final battle Diao Chan and Liu Bei are reunited, Cao Cao is a happy dude and finally pays attention to Xun Yu, and Himiko gets to be all Himiko all over the place

I recently played through it, that's the reason I know :v:

Why I'm spoilering that I'll never know.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Why I'm spoilering that I'll never know.

Because you don't want to give everyone in the thread a cerebral hemorrhage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah. That's magnitudes worse than what I poorly remembered. I re-watched that episode of GameCenter CX just to make sure, and that is what the pseudo-Chairman Kaga (Yoichi Erikawa) claimed he was emotionally stirred so sufficiently that he cried to.

5er fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 23, 2013

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Calax posted:

Overall 7 probably had the more cohesive story.
Y'know, in 7 they probably focused more on the story stuff and everyone complained about the clone characters.

Then in 8 they focused on giving every single person a unique weapon, and people are complaining the story isn't as good!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dj_de posted:

Then in 8 they focused on giving every single person a unique weapon, and people are complaining the story isn't as good!

I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole 'unique weapon!!' thing, honestly. I mean, it's cool that not everyone can access every moveset as far as I can tell, and compatability's been made a little more important. But I was expecting from all the blurbs that people's actual moves would be different, so Cao Cao with a General's Sword would have different attacks to Xiahou Dun with a General's Sword. If they are, I honestly haven't noticed it.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Yeah. The weapon system feels identical to DW 7. Move sets are still shared, so anyone using a sword is using the same moves.

If every single character has their own EX/unique weapon, then ok, that's new. Pang Tong uses a Shadow Fan, while Zhang Liao (yellow turban guy) has a Staff. In DW 7 they both had a Shaman Staff as their EX weapon.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

If every single character has their own EX/unique weapon, then ok, that's new.

They do. That's what people meant.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Stelas posted:

But I was expecting from all the blurbs that people's actual moves would be different, so Cao Cao with a General's Sword would have different attacks to Xiahou Dun with a General's Sword. If they are, I honestly haven't noticed it.

So wait, you're saying you expect them to put in a number of unique movesets equal to the number of weapons times the number of characters? So, like 5000?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Yeah. The weapon system feels identical to DW 7. Move sets are still shared, so anyone using a sword is using the same moves.

If every single character has their own EX/unique weapon, then ok, that's new. Pang Tong uses a Shadow Fan, while Zhang Liao (yellow turban guy) has a Staff. In DW 7 they both had a Shaman Staff as their EX weapon.

That's exactly the case, yes. EX attacks can make quite a difference depending on the moveset--Zhao Yun comes to mind, christ that guy does a ton of damage on C3's extension.

Also I think you meant Zhang Jiao, not Zhang Liao. Zhang Liao uses twin axes in this game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Selane posted:

So wait, you're saying you expect them to put in a number of unique movesets equal to the number of weapons times the number of characters? So, like 5000?

I think he meant that for primary weapons each character should have a unique moveset, beyond just having one EX attack based deviation.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Honestly? I'd prefer a smaller number of weapons (I don't mind clones honestly, as long as the clones have their own EX attack)if the story were more cohesive and less clunky "NOW WE ARE MOVING TO STAGE FOUR!"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
What skills do you guys go with? I've been going with Havoc/Mighty Roar/Quick Learner/Attack Boost basically every time but I'm not sure if it's optimal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Selane posted:

Keeshhound posted:

I think he meant that for primary weapons each character should have a unique moveset, beyond just having one EX attack based deviation.

Yeah, this. The stuff I'd read on the run-up to release made it sound like 'unique weapons' were more than just a single EX move and a unique weapon model, or that each character would have their own weapon and then there'd be a small pool of generic ones on top. I'm fairly happy with what we did get because I can just double-equip people with their specific weapon and it basically be the same, but it's not nearly as impressive as the marketing made it out to be.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 24, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

chunkles posted:

What skills do you guys go with? I've been going with Havoc/Mighty Roar/Quick Learner/Attack Boost basically every time but I'm not sure if it's optimal.

This is exactly what I'm doing, too. I wish you could use more skills, or all of them like some of the games. Choosing so few with so many skills seems really limiting.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

chunkles posted:

Mighty Roar, Victory Cry and the Rage/Musou boosters, I like being the freight train. Victory Cry's item drop increase seems nuts, maybe it's just the game system in general but I'm bathing in healing items as it is.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I'm not too crazy about characters starting off higher then level 1.

For example, picking Wei Yan for the first time in a story battle may start him off at level 10 or 15. I think some characters I have are in their 20, and I've maybe played 2 story battles with them.

Also, I got Xu Shu's secret weapon, but it doesn't seem top tier, like I can still find something better.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

For example, picking Wei Yan for the first time in a story battle may start him off at level 10 or 15. I think some characters I have are in their 20, and I've maybe played 2 story battles with them.

They're autolevelled for story mode. After you've unlocked things, you can drag specific officers (or all of them) back down to 1 for Ambition mode if you really like.

Cerulily
Dec 28, 2012

Stelas posted:

Yeah, this. The stuff I'd read on the run-up to release made it sound like 'unique weapons' were more than just a single EX move and a unique weapon model, or that each character would have their own weapon and then there'd be a small pool of generic ones on top. I'm fairly happy with what we did get because I can just double-equip people with their specific weapon and it basically be the same, but it's not nearly as impressive as the marketing made it out to be.

I agree with this.

It basically makes it so i see a character, check if their EX weapon is one i hate to use then specifically NOT pick a character because of it.

Instead it should have been something you still want to do because it could be better since they're supposed to be "proficient" with that weapon/

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Cerulily posted:

I agree with this.

It basically makes it so i see a character, check if their EX weapon is one i hate to use then specifically NOT pick a character because of it.

Instead it should have been something you still want to do because it could be better since they're supposed to be "proficient" with that weapon/

This has always been a thing in DW though, there are some characters who just have bad weapons/movesets that you don't like. I hate Gan Ning in 3-5 for this reason. Liu Bei too. At least with this system I can take a character that has a weapon I don't like and use something different. Every weapon falls into one of 4 families so you have quite a bit of wiggle room.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Back in my day each character got one weapon and we didn't complain. And half the roster was the same set of swords or spears!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

IMO, They should just give each character a "locked" weapon set along the lines of the old days, and the secondary can be chosen from a smaller pool.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Pursuit at Shouchun in the Wu hypothetical: How do I get the event to activate in the Northeast for Ding Feng? I'm following the guide listed at http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/ but those two guys never jump down. I'm about 20 minutes into the stage and they are still sitting up there.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It could be a pathfinding glitch; I've seen my share of those (even on a siege weapon once). Try making an interim save, quitting, and then resuming. That usually fixes them.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Any change notes for todays patch for DW8?

E: Oh, they give them to you on the PS3. Sweet. Collision detection problem on one stage fixed and something about text.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
I've been using Quick Learner alone for story mode, just so I can get used to the characters as they are.

For other modes my primary concern is damage.

Mind you I do play mostly on normal so that might explain my lack of concern for defence

how much different is Chaos from Normal anyway?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I haven't played DW8 on Chaos, but my past experience says the harder difficulties cross the line from difficult to bullshit pretty fast. Like every officer is Lu Bu bullshit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
To give some perspective on Hard Mode, I just spend an hour and a half failing the conditions for a fifth weapon several times. Game seriously expects me to take out every officer in a dozen seconds or something unreal and make sure everything's dead inside of a base to open a gate. My characters are level ~30 or so and I have fourth weapons.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I can't be the only person disappointed when I saw the "Other" storyline and found out it was just a bunch of one-off stages. :sigh:

When was the last game to have a story mode for the other characters? 4?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

OatmealRaisin posted:

When was the last game to have a story mode for the other characters? 4?

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

MotU posted:

Pursuit at Shouchun in the Wu hypothetical: How do I get the event to activate in the Northeast for Ding Feng? I'm following the guide listed at http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/ but those two guys never jump down. I'm about 20 minutes into the stage and they are still sitting up there.

The guide is wrong on that one, I did the same thing you did and couldn't get it.

I found that heading back towards the main camp triggers Ding Feng to move towards the north, which causes the guys to come down. So go north until the main camp gets attacked, head back down a little bit to trigger Ding Feng to move, then go back to Ding Feng.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Lu Bu also had his own campaign in DW: Next.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

How am I supposed to meet the condition for Cao Ren's weapon unlock? I literally ride my horse out straight towards the catapults and I have like 5 seconds to kill this guy before they start firing.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Musou charge with the horsie?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Okay that worked. Unfortunately I forgot to get the weapon like an idiot. But here's how to do it (Wei/Cao Ren/Battle of Xu Province)

Equip Rage/Musou Springs, Attack Boost & Mighty Roar. Run out and kill peasants until your musou/rage bars are full. You don't have to fight the two officers here, just ignore them. Once your bars are full, get on your horsie and move towards the catapults until the boulder scene. Then use your musou charges to get there faster. Save your game when you get close and activate rage mode to kill Mi Feng really quickly.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

OatmealRaisin posted:

I haven't played DW8 on Chaos, but my past experience says the harder difficulties cross the line from difficult to bullshit pretty fast. Like every officer is Lu Bu bullshit.
Also arrows are made of concentrated gently caress you, if WO3 is anything to go by.

Also all the officers loving block constantly, if it's anything like DW7:E :argh:

Belzac posted:

Lu Bu also had his own campaign in DW: Next.
It was by far the best one too, basically being "and Lu Bu kicked everyone's rear end (twice!) and conquered China, the end"

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Thanks to all who suggested to watch the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, it's so drat good. The filming reminds me of Game of Thrones, which of course has me dreaming of a Iron Thrones Warriors one day :swoon:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Thanks to all who suggested to watch the 2010 Three Kingdoms series, it's so drat good. The filming reminds me of Game of Thrones, which of course has me dreaming of a Iron Thrones Warriors one day :swoon:

Musou Orochi of Thrones?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

PureRok posted:

Any change notes for todays patch for DW8?

E: Oh, they give them to you on the PS3. Sweet. Collision detection problem on one stage fixed and something about text.

Was the stage Fan Castle? Because there are a few places you can just walk through walls there.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

To give some perspective on Hard Mode, I just spend an hour and a half failing the conditions for a fifth weapon several times. Game seriously expects me to take out every officer in a dozen seconds or something unreal and make sure everything's dead inside of a base to open a gate. My characters are level ~30 or so and I have fourth weapons.

I've been working towards getting Red Hare / the elephant for a little while now on Beginner and it makes me feel like there is no loving way I'm going to try max difficulty missions on Hard/Chaos. It's not really difficult or anything but every duel mode stage takes about 10 minutes with the majority of that time being spent wailing away on the same one or two gatekeepers for what seems like an eternity as their half a screen long health bar slowly shrinks down.

Between that and how flaky getting the stars for some missions are, I can easily say this is the most tedious and frustrating DW game I've played at times. And that's coming from someone who has been working on maxxing out all relationships for all characters in DWG2 for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jibo posted:

I've been working towards getting Red Hare / the elephant for a little while now on Beginner and it makes me feel like there is no loving way I'm going to try max difficulty missions on Hard/Chaos. It's not really difficult or anything but every duel mode stage takes about 10 minutes with the majority of that time being spent wailing away on the same one or two gatekeepers for what seems like an eternity as their half a screen long health bar slowly shrinks down.

Between that and how flaky getting the stars for some missions are, I can easily say this is the most tedious and frustrating DW game I've played at times. And that's coming from someone who has been working on maxxing out all relationships for all characters in DWG2 for years.

I finally got it by the way.

Xingcai's 5th on Tian Shui requires that you follow Zhao Yun exterminating all officers before taking on Jiang Wei for the first time. One more appears during the fight. Then after Jiang Wei withdraws the middle garrison needs to be cleared of ALL soldiers with a Rage Mode Muson ASAP and horsing over to Sun Li for a kill then taking ONLY the Gatekeeper on the inside door in order to speed-clear Cui Liang ONLY with seconds to spare before Jiang Wei makes it there.

Then while ignoring the text distraction the north-central small garrison needs to be gatekeeper'd and its officer brought down to get the ram to spawn. Four ballistas and two officers appear to the north to quickly take and then the rest is like the previous step after the ram does its thing. Treasure spawns when the boss up north is killed before Jiang Wei gets there.