Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Richard Sherman's column is the only thing I'm reading on that site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Did Bill give his blessing for that interview? If not I hope Tom finds a way to hide the bruises before training camp.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brady and Peyton better stay friends until they're 70.

At that point, they'll be the only current-era players still able to recognize faces.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is that a real three questions or some sort of fanfic?

Is it unsettling that I had to ask this?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Wanna see Brady balloon up to 350lbs by 45 and then spend the next 25 years in the booth with Peyton.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

Question not included: "What are the chances of a guy like you and a sportswriter like me getting together?"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The photo is the best part

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

The photo is the best part

in the whitest, nerdiest voice ever "yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

in the whitest, nerdiest voice ever "yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Looks like he's imagining riding a motorcycle, singing "highway to the danger zoooooooone"

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
In which Peter King regrets not sucking up hard enough:

quote:

@SI_PeterKing: Blew shot for a good line to SF OC Greg Roman. "Hey, like that new website,'' he said. Thanked him. Wished I said: "Hey, like your offense."

Self parody doesn't even begin to describe it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nately posted:

I just hope he has another whinge about being snubbed by Cam Newton again this year.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
In an alternate universe:
ROMAN: Hey, like that new website.
KING: Hey, like that new offense.

ROMAN's eyes widen. He flashes his teeth in a shy smile, his eyes welling up at the thought that KING has noticed his offense and approves of it. He stammers nervously, having received a compliment from the most brilliant football mind in the world. His hands start shaking. KING noticing him is the highest achievement he could ever have dreamed of. Sweating profusely, he calls his wife and, between sobs, explains how he can never be happy again, having had a dose of the world's most powerful drug, the approval of KING.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Nately posted:

That line isn't even clever. It's not even in viewing distance of clever.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

With the kind of resources and access to the NFL Peter King has, you would think he could write an interesting football article. Of course, his target audience can probably relate to some of the many "problems" and "interesting things" in his life.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

midwat posted:

That line isn't even clever. It's not even in viewing distance of clever.

Seriously. It's like he's seriously lamenting the fact that he didn't kiss the guy's rear end enough. Or that he actually thought that line was clever, which is even worse.

Also lmao @ Rap

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

St1cky posted:

With the kind of resources and access to the NFL Peter King has, you would think he could write an interesting football article. Of course, his target audience can probably relate to some of the many "problems" and "interesting things" in his life.

Peter King fills a niche for people who can't follow football as much as they would like or aren't as crazy as we are here. One of my buddies teaches overseas and is broke/frugal enough that his exposure to the NFL is basically streaming a Chiefs game most weeks and reading MMQB. I've talked to him several times about how terrible King is but it's still a way for him to kill some time and sort of keep up with things. He realizes he's an idiot but still enjoys it, I don't know.

On the bright side I got him reading Tanier's weekly previews last year at least.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rap posted:

In an alternate universe:
ROMAN: Hey, like that new website.
KING: Hey, like that new offense.

ROMAN's eyes widen. He flashes his teeth in a shy smile, his eyes welling up at the thought that KING has noticed his offense and approves of it. He stammers nervously, having received a compliment from the most brilliant football mind in the world. His hands start shaking. KING noticing him is the highest achievement he could ever have dreamed of. Sweating profusely, he calls his wife and, between sobs, explains how he can never be happy again, having had a dose of the world's most powerful drug, the approval of KING.

Had a brief moment of panic at the beginning of your post that TFF was going to start in on Peter King slash fanfic territory.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Peter King fills a niche for people who can't follow football as much as they would like or aren't as crazy as we are here. One of my buddies teaches overseas and is broke/frugal enough that his exposure to the NFL is basically streaming a Chiefs game most weeks and reading MMQB. I've talked to him several times about how terrible King is but it's still a way for him to kill some time and sort of keep up with things. He realizes he's an idiot but still enjoys it, I don't know.

On the bright side I got him reading Tanier's weekly previews last year at least.

Watching Chiefs and reading Peter King all last year would make me reconsider following the NFL. I actually read his article at work for awhile because of lack of better things to do. He had some OK stuff, but he could cut a lot out by keeping it more focused on whatever story he was trying to tell and specific league related things. Then he said something about that crazy WVU/Clemson Orange Bowl game being a meaningless bowl game and I quit reading anything he wrote.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Grittybeard posted:

I used to read King every week just to see what he'd say about the Browns. Even knowing that he was terrible.

A good friend of mine who works at a newspaper likes to tell a story of what a woman in a small town once told her: I don't read the newspaper to learn the news, I read the newspaper to find out if the newspaper got the news right. That's how I used to read King.

Now I don't even bother, I figure the really egregious poo poo will get reposted here and if Browns comments don't show up King just said something bland and obvious.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I used to read King to kill time until TFF, probably this thread, pointed out how bad he was. Now if I read him I just skim to actual football-related parts, which is <50%.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Had a brief moment of panic at the beginning of your post that TFF was going to start in on Peter King slash fanfic territory.

Same, except disappointed when I realized it actually wasn't.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

While working at a gym in Canada about 8 years ago, a member would print out all 14 pages of TMQ every week and read it. Afterwards he would leave it on the magazine pile for others to read. Knowing little about football, I started to read them and found them fascinating. It really kindled my desire to know more about the sport.

So thanks for that, TMQ. I pretty much stopped reading all other forms of sports writing when I found TFF.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Grittybeard posted:

Peter King fills a niche for people who can't follow football as much as they would like or aren't as crazy as we are here.

That is a good point. He does hit a few lines for almost every game and even though we laugh at him, I bet if your football exposure was "you can only click one link each week" (not counting the fact his column is 9 pages) his probably is the most comprehensive single column.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I stumbled across this glancing at the AFC West blog on ESPN:

quote:

There are a lot of exciting changes in the works concerning ESPN.com’s NFL coverage.

It has begun in the AFC West with the addition of Jeff Legwold. He will cover the Denver Broncos. For now, Jeff’s coverage will be presented on this blog. That means I will no longer write about the Broncos. That’s now Jeff’s territory.

We will soon have reporters for the other three teams in the division. For now, though, my contributions to this blog will concentrate on the Chiefs, Raiders and Chargers.

It kinda sounds like ESPN is just going to hire their own beat writers for every team. I want to think this comes out of a desire to improve their coverage but because it's ESPN part of my brain won't stop screaming that it's just a way to avoid crediting anyone else on any NFL story ever (while still stealing said stories from other people) :tinfoil:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Legwold jumped over from the Denver Post, he was a pretty well-established staff writer and the Broncos beat reporter. So at least they got a qualified guy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I stumbled across this glancing at the AFC West blog on ESPN:

It kinda sounds like ESPN is just going to hire their own beat writers for every team. I want to think this comes out of a desire to improve their coverage but because it's ESPN part of my brain won't stop screaming that it's just a way to avoid crediting anyone else on any NFL story ever (while still stealing said stories from other people) :tinfoil:

Mike Reiss handles the Patriots on ESPN Boston (and he's excellent), and he'll at least always credit stories to the local guys. It's not being said at a desk on Sportscenter, so ESPN doesn't care about giving credit for this stuff.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rap posted:

Legwold jumped over from the Denver Post, he was a pretty well-established staff writer and the Broncos beat reporter. So at least they got a qualified guy.

Yeah his early entries are a lot more detailed than the other little blurbs on the blog, so it might be pretty nice when they get the whole thing in place.

And that actually does make me feel a little better Kalli, I did realize I was probably being overly worried/critical of ESPN anyway. Not that they haven't earned that reaction.

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001
I suppose this is good news. The guy who does the NFC West blog was the Seahawks beat reporter for the Tacoma newspaper before he went there. I suppose ESPN will just add writers for the other three teams and have Sando slowly convert to Seahawks only news (if you read the blog it is pretty clear he has a soft spot for the Hawks as is).

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
The Packers blogger is Rob Demovsky, who was a longterm reporter for the GB Press Gazette. It looks like ESPN is only picking experienced beat writers for this.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 7, 2013

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Today I drove from New York to Virginia, because sometimes I do that, and midway through the Jersey Turpike I'm violently cutoff by this

The urge to ram him was almost too much. I was only prevented by my doubt that King was on board and the certainty that they wouldn't even feel my Neon explode.

gently caress, I should have done it. Would have been a good futile death.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

gently caress, I should have done it. Would have been a good futile death.

Lofty death. Futile, but lofty.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Can we all bask in the various meanings of Boston shithead Bill Simmons taking the name of his website from a relatively forgotten crappy sportswriter, and other Boston shithead Peter King taking the name of his website from a boring, pedestrian, overly used and stupid phrase

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

I think I remember reading that ESPN demanded he call it Grantland, which is just friggin weird.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've been surprised to find that MMQB is actually filled with some interesting discussions about football. Of course none of that is coming from its lead writer.

Peter King posted:

Coffeenerdness: Angel In A Starbucks Dept.: Nice man walks into the Starbucks on Broad Street in Philadelphia Sunday evening. Introduces himself, says he enjoys my work. I thank him. He goes and gets a coffee. I am pounding away at my column. He comes back five minutes later, shakes my hand and hands me a $10 Starbucks card. Thanks me again. I am … without speech. “Th-th-thanks!’’ I said. People are good.

A man's faith in humanity is confirmed by a Starbuck's giftcard. Another man's faith in humanity is shattered by a man's faith in humanity being confirmed by a STARBUCK'S GIFTCARD.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Same here. I'd like to once again share this excellent article on how the read option may be handled by NFL teams this year. They interviewed the Stanford defensive coordinator responsible for shutting down Oregon, even though not one of his players was drafted. It is very interesting reading how a bunch of scrubs stopped the best offense in college football. (Eat a dick, Aggie.)
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/derek-mason-stanford-read-option/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've been surprised to find that MMQB is actually filled with some interesting discussions about football. Of course none of that is coming from its lead writer.

A man's faith in humanity is confirmed by a Starbuck's giftcard. Another man's faith in humanity is shattered by a man's faith in humanity being confirmed by a STARBUCK'S GIFTCARD.

Jesus, I gave a friend one of those and all I got was a pleasant thank you.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

One time some kid didn't know any better but he'd heard the name a bunch so he figured he liked Peter Kings column so much that he secretly let him have a baseball. All he got was a "omg can you guys believe how stupid this dumb kid was?!"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Well that's nice, I'm sure King appreciated the $10 much more than the homeless guy outside.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Well that's nice, I'm sure King appreciated the $10 much more than the homeless guy outside.

The angriest I ever got at King was him talking about how cool a doctor was for giving him FREE MEDICAL CARE because he was a famous football journalist.

Haha, take that poor single mother with treatable illness, you should write about football and coffee more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing Status 364451800893505537 posted:

RT @BCCorsairs: How about donating that Starbucks card to someone, you know, not making millions? ... Sorry. Used it already.

• Locked thread