Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is anyone else that's using Voice+ on CM10.1 (nightly 7/23) not getting messages/notifications?

I've noticed that Google Voice has a text sitting in it's inbox, and while I have Voice+ enabled for my GV account, it's not showing the message in my Messaging app. Initially I thought it was my GV, so I turned the option to "receive messages via the Messaging app" to ON, but the same thing is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BoyBlunder posted:

Is anyone else that's using Voice+ on CM10.1 (nightly 7/23) not getting messages/notifications?

I've noticed that Google Voice has a text sitting in it's inbox, and while I have Voice+ enabled for my GV account, it's not showing the message in my Messaging app. Initially I thought it was my GV, so I turned the option to "receive messages via the Messaging app" to ON, but the same thing is happening.

Have you sent any messages? You may need to send one first before the connection is made. Also, disable the "receive messages via the Messaging app" option in the GV app because it will actually undermine the functionality of Voice+.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

It looks like the screen came on so maybe something was just using too much battery for it to gain charge (e.g. navigation).

Huh, I missed that. I guess thus ends my short experiment with the daydream feature of DashClock.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a way I can flash TWRP with CWM? Or from within CM? (ATT S3)

I don't have odin or samsung drivers loaded on anything anymore and there's a few things I'm not liking about newer versions of cwm.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

nimper posted:

Have you sent any messages? You may need to send one first before the connection is made. Also, disable the "receive messages via the Messaging app" option in the GV app because it will actually undermine the functionality of Voice+.

Yeah, I've sent messages out of the Messaging app. I've just now reverted the "receive messages via ____" back to Google Voice.

I had a friend of mine send me a text, and it seemed to have kicked a bunch of received texts sitting in GV over to the Messaging app. Also, FWIW, it had synched a bunch of stuff earlier, there was just a time when it stopped.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have any recommendations on ROMs or kernels for the AT&T Galaxy S4?

I'd like to stick to TouchWiz only because of the color profiles (i.e. "movie mode" calibration) ...

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
The CM guys posted a teaser for something called "Nemesis", but details are light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcpyavQSvMk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Plenty of speculation based on the video, ranging from the stupid (free wireless provider) to absolutely retarded (cyanogenmod for iPhone).

My best guess due to the "the right memories/moment/etc" thing is that it's a Siri/Google now adaptation.

Anyone have any other ideas or speculation?

AppleCobbler fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 23, 2013

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Wagonburner posted:

Is there a way I can flash TWRP with CWM? Or from within CM? (ATT S3)

I don't have odin or samsung drivers loaded on anything anymore and there's a few things I'm not liking about newer versions of cwm.

I know goo manager will install TWRP for you from your phone. Works fine on my usc s3.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

The CM guys posted a teaser for something called "Nemesis", but details are light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcpyavQSvMk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Plenty of speculation based on the video, ranging from the stupid (free wireless provider) to absolutely retarded (cyanogenmod for iPhone).

My best guess due to the "the right memories/moment/etc" thing is that it's a Siri/Google now adaptation.

Anyone have any other ideas or speculation?

Don't forget the dumb idea that Nemesis is a CyanogenMod phone. :downs:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Apparently it's a device.

https://twitter.com/koush/status/359826639489728512

E: still probably a fake out :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Apparently it's a device.

https://twitter.com/koush/status/359826639489728512

E: still probably a fake out :(

Ahahaha I really doubt it's going to be a device but people are going to flip out either way.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody have any recommendations on ROMs or kernels for the AT&T Galaxy S4?

I'd like to stick to TouchWiz only because of the color profiles (i.e. "movie mode" calibration) ...

Im running cleanrom which keeps TW but removes a bunch of the bloated crud you don't need. It is using the latest update but doesn't require you to update the radios, etc.

However, the guy maintaining the ROM just quit and gave it up to whoever .. but it works really well in current form.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
So I tried out the 4.3 GE rom for my S4 (i9505) but it only charges from holes, not my computer. Figured I'll go with the more stable 4.2.2.

I see tons of 4.2.2 GE roms on XDA but they've all been hosed with in some way. Does anyone know where I can get the proper GE rom so I'd receive OTA updates from Google/Samsung in the future? I'm downloading this one right now but I'm not sure if I could trust Jamal2367: http://galaxys4root.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s4-roms/google-play-edition-rom-for-galaxy-s4/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Web Jew.0 posted:

So I tried out the 4.3 GE rom for my S4 (i9505) but it only charges from holes, not my computer. Figured I'll go with the more stable 4.2.2.

I see tons of 4.2.2 GE roms on XDA but they've all been hosed with in some way. Does anyone know where I can get the proper GE rom so I'd receive OTA updates from Google/Samsung in the future? I'm downloading this one right now but I'm not sure if I could trust Jamal2367: http://galaxys4root.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s4-roms/google-play-edition-rom-for-galaxy-s4/

I'm pretty sure you'll only receive OTA updates when using the stock ROM. Any decent ROM should disable them anyways. You can go with a stock + root ROM, and then manually flash the OTA+ root about 20 min after it starts to roll out.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
How well does ABD play with VMs?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Until there is a complete conversion including bootloader, modem, etc.. you probably wont ever get OTA's. That being said, any OTA that comes out will be available for download within a few hours i would imagine. So just flash a stock rom and update when new ones come out.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Dyscrasia posted:

I know goo manager will install TWRP for you from your phone. Works fine on my usc s3.

This did it thanks.

I didn't see an option in there but I clicked "flash a rom" or something and it told me I needed a new recovery and it would install one for me.

Like this lots better than cwm.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've just gotten an HTC One for work after being stuck on a POS Droid X2 for the past two years. There was pretty much zero custom rom support on that particular piece of garbage, so I'm very much out of the loop. Is CM still the rom of choice where available? I went to download it from their site just now and was dismayed to find that there's only nightly builds available, nothing stable or in RC. I checked the GS4 and found exactly the same thing. Is this pretty typical? It's surprising that two popular top-tier phones don't have any stable releases. Are there any known issues list for the nightlies? I remember past versions missing huge swaths of functionality (data for instance) early on in development, and I definitely don't want to jump into something like that without being prepared.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

I've just gotten an HTC One for work after being stuck on a POS Droid X2 for the past two years. There was pretty much zero custom rom support on that particular piece of garbage, so I'm very much out of the loop. Is CM still the rom of choice where available? I went to download it from their site just now and was dismayed to find that there's only nightly builds available, nothing stable or in RC. I checked the GS4 and found exactly the same thing. Is this pretty typical? It's surprising that two popular top-tier phones don't have any stable releases. Are there any known issues list for the nightlies? I remember past versions missing huge swaths of functionality (data for instance) early on in development, and I definitely don't want to jump into something like that without being prepared.
I don't know about issues but yes, that's typical.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stubblyhead posted:

Both of those phones hit the market at the end of April. The current "stable" release of CM came out at the end of June and was entering release candidate phase in early May when both of these phones first got CM nightlies.

They take stability fairly seriously on officially supported devices, so with the phones being practically brand new as 10.1 started RC there just wasn't the time to do it right for a "stable" release.

Since both devices have official AOSP support the current nightlies work pretty much equally to the Google Edition units as far as I know. The IR blaster is the only hardware I've heard any question over, last I heard I think it works on the GS4 but not yet on the One.

tl;dr: As with Nexus devices, the Google Play editions for the One and GS4 mean you can be pretty sure that any non-poo poo AOSP ROM will be basically stable and functional.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

deong posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll only receive OTA updates when using the stock ROM. Any decent ROM should disable them anyways. You can go with a stock + root ROM, and then manually flash the OTA+ root about 20 min after it starts to roll out.

Don Lapre posted:

Until there is a complete conversion including bootloader, modem, etc.. you probably wont ever get OTA's. That being said, any OTA that comes out will be available for download within a few hours i would imagine. So just flash a stock rom and update when new ones come out.

Thanks guys. I ended up going with Pure-Google-pre-rooted-4.2-v1.2. Seems more trustworthy. Very stable so far. It's crazy how much smoother and faster everything is compared with touchwiz, especially multitasking.

Should I just check out the xda subforum after 4.3 rolls out for the GE S4? Is there a specific dev you'd recommend?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

The things I know do not work are IR Blaster and In call Bluetooth (they sound fine, you sound like you've got your head out the window).

I had random lockups as well, but that could have just been me. Otherwise it's great.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Boner Wad posted:

The things I know do not work are IR Blaster and In call Bluetooth (they sound fine, you sound like you've got your head out the window).

I had random lockups as well, but that could have just been me. Otherwise it's great.

I don't use either of those things anyway, so I won't miss them. I took the plunge and flashed it last night, and so far so good!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nevermind, I just reinstalled.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 27, 2013

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

I don't use either of those things anyway, so I won't miss them. I took the plunge and flashed it last night, and so far so good!

I went back to the nightly builds of Cyanogenmod. It's so much nicer, cleaner, faster than Sense. I hope they integrate the new camera app soon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have CM10 on a Verizon SGS3 and ever since the big Google Maps update, my phone seems to thing I'm in random locales in California (I live in Boston). It gives me weather and local places for California, and when I said "Set Alarm for 5 minutes", the phone set an alarm for 4:05pm instead of 7:05pm. Toggling the GPS off then back on seems to fix it but it happens again the next day. What the hell is going on?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I have CM10 on a Verizon SGS3 and ever since the big Google Maps update, my phone seems to thing I'm in random locales in California (I live in Boston). It gives me weather and local places for California, and when I said "Set Alarm for 5 minutes", the phone set an alarm for 4:05pm instead of 7:05pm. Toggling the GPS off then back on seems to fix it but it happens again the next day. What the hell is going on?
Do you leave wifi on? I'm wondering if a duplicate SSID across the country could be causing the issue. Apart from that I'm at a loss to explain what's causing it but I'm guessing you've tried clearing data and cache for Maps and verified your home/work in the web Maps?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Do you leave wifi on? I'm wondering if a duplicate SSID across the country could be causing the issue. Apart from that I'm at a loss to explain what's causing it but I'm guessing you've tried clearing data and cache for Maps and verified your home/work in the web Maps?

The WiFi-based location is done by BSSID, which is basically the WiFi MAC address, rather than SSID, the user-selectable name. A simple name dupe doesn't mean anything, otherwise there'd be mass confusion around "linksys", "Netgear", "tsunami", and the like.

It still could be relating to WiFi if for example cell location isn't working for whatever reason AND they haven't scanned your area for the WiFi database. In that case if one of the local APs was moved from somewhere in California, it'll be the only entry that can be found, and boom you're in Cali until it actually does a GPS fix.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

The WiFi-based location is done by BSSID, which is basically the WiFi MAC address, rather than SSID, the user-selectable name. A simple name dupe doesn't mean anything, otherwise there'd be mass confusion around "linksys", "Netgear", "tsunami", and the like.

It still could be relating to WiFi if for example cell location isn't working for whatever reason AND they haven't scanned your area for the WiFi database. In that case if one of the local APs was moved from somewhere in California, it'll be the only entry that can be found, and boom you're in Cali until it actually does a GPS fix.
Thanks for explaining better than I did (but I do promise that's what I meant :) ).

Zero VGS, this seems a dumb question but you did make sure you re-enabled Location Services when Maps updated, right? It included an overhaul of the settings and some might've been disabled.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Is anyone having any problems with deep sleep not happening on the latest CM 10.1.2 while bluetooth is on? I noticed on my Sprint GNex that after I took it off charge this afternoon, it lost almost half the battery in about 2.5 hours or so and was warm. When I looked in Better Battery Stats, it never went into deep sleep, it stayed between 350MHz and 700MHz, and in Kernel wakelock "BTLowPower" was cooking along for the whole time off charge. Once I turned off bluetooth, the phone started going into deep sleep.

I get the CDMA Galaxy Nexus is generally terrible with battery but this is worse than normal.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I think I fix it, I wind up in California again. But I think I figured it out, I think location reporting is occasionally pulling from the IP supplied by my VPN client, Cisco Rooted Anyconnect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Every time I think I fix it, I wind up in California again. But I think I figured it out, I think location reporting is occasionally pulling from the IP supplied by my VPN client, Cisco Rooted Anyconnect.
That's certainly it but I have no idea how to stop it from getting your incorrect location.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Just rooted my S4 and installed Eclipse TW Rom on it. I'M IN LOVE. This is everything I wanted.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Anybody got dat Focal apk?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Aardvark Barber posted:

Just rooted my S4 and installed Eclipse TW Rom on it. I'M IN LOVE. This is everything I wanted.

NitroGlycerine33 is low-key a top tier ROM guys. The dude knows how to strip down a stock ROM in an amazing way to leave you with something amazingly stable and fast. It's the best balance between something like Cyanogenmod and being stock-rooted.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've been holding off on updating to 4.3 (N4) due to the root issues, is daemon mode stable now with SuperSU 1.50? I've been following the changelog and it looks like a number of major fixes were put in with the last release.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Aardvark Barber posted:

Yeah been on this since 1.2, it's awesome. Only thing I'm waiting for is a way to customize the aosp lock screen shortcuts. Great rom.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Aardvark Barber posted:

Hah this is exactly what I came to ask. I'll give this one a shot. I'm currently running Hyperdrive, and a bunch of weird poo poo is broken. I just want easy stock with no weirdass glitches or bloat.

godzirraRAWR fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 30, 2013

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We just got my daughter a VZW GS3 for her birthday. I want to root it from the start so I can install Cerebrus, TiB etc. I'll probably do my wife's GS3 as well. I've done a brief skim through XDA for the process, but not any real research on roms. Is there anything that leaves the less obtrusive touchwiz features intact? I think they both would rather not have too much of an interface change (well my wife anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I'm noticing that the colours on my Nexus 4 look washed out. I hear it's a common complaint, and you need to be rooted to do anything about it. Are there any goon approved methods of Nexus 4 colour correction?