Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nate RFB posted:

I don't really remember this being the case (regarding preemptive strikes). Not starting a battle with the advantage was quite rare, even more so in P4G.

I posted about this here a while back, enemies almost always got the advantage against me, even when I hit them. They also ran much faster than me so if I was in a corridor, it was impossible to dodge them. Someone mentioned the level difference being a thing, and that's the only conclusion I could think of, since I usually try to keep fighting at a bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Were you playing on hard or something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Most untrue statement ever. When does the fox ever have the most adorable victory pose ever?

When you give her money and then at the end of the S. Link she shows up with all of her kits to thank you for helping keep the shrine alive, THAT'S WHEN.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Were you playing on hard or something?

Nope, normal mode. Also, I might be remembering that slightly wrong. They might not have gotten the jump on me when I actually hit them, but at the very least, getting the advantage on them when I hit them was a very rare occurrence.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Nope, normal mode. Also, I might be remembering that slightly wrong. They might not have gotten the jump on me when I actually hit them, but at the very least, getting the advantage on them when I hit them was a very rare occurrence.

You had to hit the enemy from behind to get a preemptive attack, which basically meant you had to sneak up on them from a distance. In vanilla P4, I remember it being pretty easy to outrun them if they did spot you and they'd eventually come to an invisible boundary and will turn around once you slip out of view.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm one of these weirdos that absolutely loved the P3 cast and simply felt apathetic to the P4 one, for some reason I felt more invested on the former. Making the P4 S. Links since the beginning didn't help since their character development was ignored in favor the plot's favor.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Aegis is kind of charming when she first appears. Her weird mannerisms and fish out of water plot are endearing, especially when combined with her murderbot side. poo poo only gets bad when they start trying to give her character and make the player take her seriously, which because P3 is anime as gently caress translates into making her needy and pathetic to an incredibly creepy level. P4 Arena tries really, really hard to address some of those issues and at partially succeeds in making her at least likable again.

On the other hand Ken just always felt really out of place and boring and pretty much the entire reason he's included in the game is "Kids these days never wear shorts."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of P4, I kinda want a vita so I can get the vita version but vitas are so bloody expensive still. Makes me sad.

I've been watching the Giant Bomb endurance run of the original (which is what made me want to give P3 another shot) and I am loving Persona 4 just from that but I can't bring myself to play the PS2 version knowing the vita version is better apparently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of P4, I kinda want a vita so I can get the vita version but vitas are so bloody expensive still. Makes me sad.

I've been watching the Giant Bomb endurance run of the original (which is what made me want to give P3 another shot) and I am loving Persona 4 just from that but I can't bring myself to play the PS2 version knowing the vita version is better apparently.

On the other hand, playing the PS2 version means you never ever have to see Marie,

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

I've noticed that a lot of very teenagery teenage type characters seem to attract hate. Yeah, she's catty and whiny. She's a teenage girl, and a teenager struggling with some serious issues.

I'm not a fan of her and tend to use someone else, but.

Ken can go jump off a bridge because man, his S. Link has the potential to get creepy fast and - yeah.

See also: Hope from FF13

The problem is that teenagers pretty much suck.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand, playing the PS2 version means you never ever have to see Marie,
That isn't even remotely close to a good tradeoff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say Golden definitely is the better version in terms of content but the only really worthwhile thing you miss by playing the ps2 version is the epilogue, and the Jester s link.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

But it also means I can't get my social link on with everyone. Even that one guy, you know the one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

That isn't even remotely close to a good tradeoff.

I don't know. I would trade every single other upgrade to The Golden to never have to see Marie, her awful poems or her stupid-rear end plot ever again. The rest of the upgrades are great but she is like everything I disliked about Aigis x 1000.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'm not really following on the hesitation? It's not like you're stuck playing the Wii port of a "multiplatform" game, Persona 4 was originally developed for the Playstation 2. You'll be getting 100% of the original game's content. Golden is just 110%.

That being said, having Persona 4 on a handheld was the poo poo and I do recommend it for everyone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm not really following on the hesitation? It's not like you're stuck playing the Wii port of a "multiplatform" game, Persona 4 was originally developed for the Playstation 2. You'll be getting 100% of the original game's content. Golden is just 110%.

That being said, having Persona 4 on a handheld was the poo poo and I do recommend it for everyone.

I'm just the kind of sperglord who gets all bothered playing a version of the game knowing there's a better one. I was a bit disappointed when the japan only version of Nocturne came out with Radiou Kuzunoha in it because I think he's way cooler than Dante.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Man, she is not that bad. Hell, by the time you actually get to her plot, I dare say she's actually a good addition.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I dunno, I thought her plot felt extremely tacked on and for lack of a better term "fanfictiony"

I thought Marie was "ok" so I don't even hate her as much as others but she definitely did not feel needed at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I dunno, I thought her plot felt extremely tacked on and for lack of a better term "fanfictiony"

I thought Marie was "ok" so I don't even hate her as much as others but she definitely did not feel needed at all.

There are definitely some execution issues (they went too far in on the poetry thing and her S-Link is a little...iffy, I guess?) but it helps tie in the more supernatural elements and especially the true ending. I didn't really have issue with Izanami before, but people did originally feel it was tacked on. Marie at least attempts to address that. Plus, I thought the execution of her content post-December was handled pretty well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Right. I'm rather ambivalent on her myself. But that also means there's pretty much no way she is going to be a dealbraker in the face of all the other things Golden gets right. I don't want to go back to a P4 without night time exploration or the inability to to choose skills in fusions unless it's for a drat good reason.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I didn't really see what she added to the game other than some pandering, but I assume that was the intent. I like P4G and all, but I still wonder why they don't give you the ending outfits as equippable clothes.

Costumes were really my favorite addition though.

Lots of people seem to like the extra dungeon they added but I was kind of bored with it myself. Dungeons like that always feel undertuned to me, just to make sure everyone can clear it, but then it just ends up taking longer cause of the gimmick.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anyway, to Nuebot: What I did was trade in the vast majority of my Wii games. I guess that's not particularly helpful advice but it was a good $100+ off as a result. Sony really needs to have a Vita price drop sooner rather than later.

The thing is P4G is the only thing I've played on it (bought Muramasa though) and I still think it was a worthwile purchase. Then again I really, really like P4.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

Right. I'm rather ambivalent on her myself. But that also means there's pretty much no way she is going to be a dealbraker in the face of all the other things Golden gets right. I don't want to go back to a P4 without night time exploration or the inability to to choose skills in fusions unless it's for a drat good reason.

Yeah, Golden is the "Golden" version of P4. It's a better game on all fronts as compared to P3 FES vs P3P debates. Also, it's $20 on sony store right now.

For buying a Vita: go to cowboom, you can get one for $130 or so. Get Plus, get 16gb card (you should be able to find it on sale for $30ish), and get P4G on sale right now. I also recommend a screen protector. Overall, this is not a lot of money for an excellent handheld system with actually a decent game library (P3P is also on sale for $10 btw, and FES for $5).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah I don't have much worth trading in anymore, if I traded in my entire library I'd probably get like 75 bucks at most. Hopefully there will be a price drop soon, what with the PS4 being released this year. I've heard a few "games news" sites talking about one so here's hoping it drops to a price I feel more comfortable paying!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

Anyway, to Nuebot: What I did was trade in the vast majority of my Wii games. I guess that's not particularly helpful advice but it was a good $100+ off as a result. Sony really needs to have a Vita price drop sooner rather than later.
There's a rumor that there will be a price drop coming soon, but the basis - some Sony corporate thing or press release, I forget exactly where it was - was fairly vague, referring to "sales initiatives" for the Vita. A price drop for the system or the memory may be part of it, but that could refer to new bundles and so on, too.

Nate RFB posted:

The thing is P4G is the only thing I've played on it (bought Muramasa though) and I still think it was a worthwile purchase. Then again I really, really like P4.

It added more than just Marie and the Jester S-Link, and did more than just refine the gameplay, in any case. It's a vastly improved version of the game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly don't feel the extra stuff added anything to P4, outside of that one guy's S.Link.

Plus new Chie makes me want rest my head on a busy road.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Meh, Marie really wasn't that bad, besides the hot springs scene.. Her S-link was actually pretty decent especially compared to Aigis. Also, the fact that you can basically wind up dating for all intents and purposes Izanami (or at least part of her) is pretty drat funny to me. Didn't someone make a crack in this thread was that the only thing left to do to god after killing him, siding with him etc. was to date him? Welp...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kaneko is alive and he's tweeting about things.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

Man, she is not that bad. Hell, by the time you actually get to her plot, I dare say she's actually a good addition.

She's completely garbage. Her poems are horrendous and her plot twist is the dumbest loving thing on top of throwing her into the group like she's always been connected to the audience like everyone else. It's astonishing how Jester was so good and the same dudes that wrote that wrote "THROW THE FSTEAK JOKE IN THERE AND HAVE HER NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Kaneko is alive and he's tweeting about things.

Man, if I was the kind of person who bought stuffed animals, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

polish sausage posted:

Meh, Marie really wasn't that bad, besides the hot springs scene.. Her S-link was actually pretty decent especially compared to Aigis. Also, the fact that you can basically wind up dating for all intents and purposes Izanami (or at least part of her) is pretty drat funny to me. Didn't someone make a crack in this thread was that the only thing left to do to god after killing him, siding with him etc. was to date him? Welp...

This absolutely wrong, Marie is complete fan fiction garbage, there is nothing good about her in neither execution nor theory. Your spoiler is especially terrible. She is so poorly shoe horned in I wouldn't blame you for thinking she is joke at a mary-sue characters expense, but shes not. Marie is a 100% straight faced fan fic character, with all the negative character traits that implies.

Also new teddie is garbage, but new chie is good. The un-hosed fusing system and the costumes more than make up for Marie and new teddie though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sex_Ferguson posted:

She's completely garbage. Her poems are horrendous and her plot twist is the dumbest loving thing on top of throwing her into the group like she's always been connected to the audience like everyone else. It's astonishing how Jester was so good and the same dudes that wrote that wrote "THROW THE FSTEAK JOKE IN THERE AND HAVE HER NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT!"

Okay, so, no? Her poems are intentionally terrible. That is incredibly obvious right from the get-go. The problem with them is that they leaned too hard into it.

The plot twist was fine. She was always going to be something like that, what with her basically being introduced to you as this random loving ghost out in whatever universe the Velvet Room limo drives around in. Then they spend the entirety of her link foreshadowing that she's Izanami through poo poo that American audiences wouldn't understand because she's from Japanese mythology, and welp. Basically her entire role, through her S-Link and to the end of the game, is to help connect the Izanami plot twist at the end to the plot since, remember, prior to this her connection to the plot is a single interaction at the start of the game and a bit of exposition in the middle connecting your starting persona to this figure. While that was enough to get by, some people did complain that the true end felt tacked on.

No, they didn't "throw her into the group like she's always been connected to the audience." They introduced her to you at the start of the game, again in the Velvet Room, then to the rest of the group over the course of her link. She's very much an outsider.

As I understand it, the fsteak joke was not in the original Japanese. So blame Atlus USA for that one.

EDIT: There are definitely some execution gently caress-ups in there, but come on dude.

This probably comes off as being needlessly aggressive. Ah well.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 24, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ImpAtom posted:

Man, if I was the kind of person who bought stuffed animals, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I don't buy game merchandise either, but I would totally buy it if it were available for purchase and not some dumb lottery thing.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

King of Solomon posted:

No, they didn't "throw her into the group like she's always been connected to the audience." They introduced her to you at the start of the game, again in the Velvet Room, then to the rest of the group over the course of her link. She's very much an outsider.

Except she is, every single social link scene with her involves like 3 other IT members coming in from no where and fawning over her. She is completely shoe-horned in to the group in a desperate attempt to make people like her. She is a jerk to everyone and they all just laugh it off before being all
"Gosh marie-chan, your're so cool. [protagonist] sure knows how to make cool friends!" :v: She even takes Nanako's spot in the prerequisite "all your social links cheer you on during the final boss moment of despair."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Marie was terrible and unlikable and fanservicey. She's the penance you have to do to access the new content.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I liked Persona 3 & 4 well enough, but I have a feeling that I would have absolutely loved the crap out of them had I discovered them as a 16 year old and thought they were the best games ever. They're very teen angsty and full of melodramatic dark stuff. Teenagers love that poo poo.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

This absolutely wrong, Marie is complete fan fiction garbage, there is nothing good about her in neither execution nor theory. Your spoiler is especially terrible. She is so poorly shoe horned in I wouldn't blame you for thinking she is joke at a mary-sue characters expense, but shes not. Marie is a 100% straight faced fan fic character, with all the negative character traits that implies.

Also new teddie is garbage, but new chie is good. The un-hosed fusing system and the costumes more than make up for Marie and new teddie though.

Ok, I'm sorry Marie doesn't piss me off as much as she pissed you off. Honestly I'm just content the story and most of the other characters are as good as it is considering the persona series is now clearly geared toward an anime audience and has had dumb fan service like that since the 3rd game. I don't really see the big deal when everyone is fawing over the MC or her. Like i'm not in love with that character or anything but she doesn't illicit any more eye rolling from me than Aigis or Ken from persona 3. I don't disagree that marie is pure fan service bullshit, but I don't really care. Certainly not enough to recommend the ps2 version which is by all intents and purposes incomplete.

Edit: The naoto hot springs scene was way more repulsive to me than anything marie has ever done.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

polish sausage posted:

Edit: The naoto hot springs scene was way more repulsive to me than anything marie has ever done.

That wasn't animated before. Not everything P4G adds is good. Just most of it. :sigh:

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

That wasn't animated before. Not everything P4G adds is good. Just most of it. :sigh:

I know. As far as new content goes, that's the one thing that actually annoys the hell out of me. It serves no purpose especially with the physical check up gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Mog posted:

I liked Persona 3 & 4 well enough, but I have a feeling that I would have absolutely loved the crap out of them had I discovered them as a 16 year old and thought they were the best games ever. They're very teen angsty and full of melodramatic dark stuff. Teenagers love that poo poo.
This is why I never found P3 to be "dark". It was honestly a pretty ridiculous game that took itself way too seriously. And conversely why I think P4 works so well, since it is not hot topic angsty at all and is just more fun.