Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Which was pretty bad itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Legend of the Seeker is great fun as long as you realize it's Xena 2.0. Bruce Campbell was even involved.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

BananaNutkins posted:

Legend of the Seeker is great fun as long as you realize it's Xena 2.0. Bruce Campbell was even involved.

I actually enjoyed Legend of the Seeker for what it was. I took it as a campy fantasy show with decent enough special effects and passable acting. It barely followed the plot of the books, and that was a good thing. It didn't take itself very seriously.

I feel Kingkiller has the potential for a decent show, but we will just have to see what happens. I have a feeling this will never see the light of day.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BananaNutkins posted:

It really was just that, - except with a guy instead of a hot woman - the first season especially was just beefcake shots of the guy who played Richard and his oiled, borderline ridiculous musculature.

I just watched it because of Kahlan's costume, and the gyrocopter captain. v:shobon:v

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

coyo7e posted:

It really was just that, - except with a guy instead of a hot woman
The confessor was hot as heck though ???

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

The question is, will they land Felicia Day as Devi and Neil Patrick Harris as Bast?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Above Our Own posted:

The confessor was hot as heck though ???
She wasn't the one who was topless half the time, though! :(

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don't remember Kingkiller's total plot very well, but if they made it a tv show they'd have to cut way way way down on the "I had to find a clever way to get a stable income, so I went into town and did so. But then that income wasn't enough, so I did another thing to make money"xinfinity as well as the "I saw my true love of loves, but she was with another man. Eventually, that guy realized he couldn't hang with her. Only I can do that."

That's all I remember from the University portions of the plot off the top of my head. And then there was lots of fairy sex in the 2nd book.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I think they're going to have to make it an episodic show a la Merlin, with maybe a few episodes at the end of each season taken directly from the books.

I like these books, but there really isn't enough plot to do a Game of Thrones style show.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Seems to me that Wheel of Time would make a better TV show. There's a shitload of source material to draw from, and each book has a sort of 'mini-plot' within it that would lend itself very well to an episodic format. They'd have to get creative with the sparse plots of the later books, but it still seems very doable!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I'd rather they took the WoT universe and did a show in the 4th age, so we can see how what Rand did turned out, rather than running through the original stories again.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Can we still talk about the books here? I just bought the first one at the airport for reading this weekend and I'm having trouble staying interested because it starts off super slow. I'm also a little worried it's just going to keep on being "Kvothe: The Best, Better Than All The Rest: The Book: Day One" for seven hundred pages. Should I just stop?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Can we still talk about the books here? I just bought the first one at the airport for reading this weekend and I'm having trouble staying interested because it starts off super slow. I'm also a little worried it's just going to keep on being "Kvothe: The Best, Better Than All The Rest: The Book: Day One" for seven hundred pages. Should I just stop?

It doesn't get much different or better after the first 200 pages. It's a pretty good book, though.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

BananaNutkins posted:

It doesn't get much different or better after the first 200 pages. It's a pretty good book, though.

I guess that's fine. The execution is really fun and entertaining. I just wish the author was smarter and had better ideas. I guess I just want everyone to be more Frank Herbert and less Brian Sanderson.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Ogmius815 posted:

I guess that's fine. The execution is really fun and entertaining. I just wish the author was smarter and had better ideas. I guess I just want everyone to be more Frank Herbert and less Brian Sanderson.

Have you gotten to the magic system yet? It's probably my favorite ever.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Sanderson books are fun to read but the magic system thing... ughhhh its like im reading a tabletop game instruction manual. Theres no mystery to it.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

spootime posted:

Sanderson books are fun to read but the magic system thing... ughhhh its like im reading a tabletop game instruction manual. Theres no mystery to it.

Which some people actually really enjoy. Different strokes and all that.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Be honest, there wouldn't be any "clever phrasing", it would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Undergrads set in Hogwarts.

Name of the Wind is fun as a book , it would be awkward in a visual medium. The main character is 10-15 for half the book, and there's no way Fox gives this the budget or the time it would need. They just want a cheap knock off of Game of Thrones; It's like when ABC threw Empire together to try to get Rome's audience.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

Be honest, there wouldn't be any "clever phrasing", it would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Undergrads set in Hogwarts.

Name of the Wind is fun as a book , it would be awkward in a visual medium. The main character is 10-15 for half the book, and there's no way Fox gives this the budget or the time it would need. They just want a cheap knock off of Game of Thrones; It's like when ABC threw Empire together to try to get Rome's audience.

Yeah I don't think it'll work out at all. But hey, it'll get Rothfuss a bunch of money and exposure, and I am 100% okay with that.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

spootime posted:

I'm fine with there being no mystery in his systems. His books are good about laying out the rules for the system and then playing around with them to make cool stuff happen.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah, it doesn't get better and in fact gets worse in the second book. I find the mystery in the series compelling and the magic systems to be engaging enough to keep me in, but if those don't grab you I dont think anything else will.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm fine with there being no mystery in his systems. His books are good about laying out the rules for the system and then playing around with them to make cool stuff happen.
But he doesn't, though. He just repeatedly does the "unexpected magic powers to save the day!" Reading Sanderson is like watching superhero origin movie stories over and over. Credits for his Vancian style worldbuilding though.

Ogmius815 posted:

Don't we all but you only get a handful of Herberts in a century.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 24, 2013

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If this fucker ruins Torment I will make him choke on that disgusting neckbeard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Unlucky posted:

If this fucker ruins Torment I will make him choke on that disgusting neckbeard.

How in the world would he ruin the new Torment game? He's one writer among many, and presumably not in charge of the "main" thrust of the content of the game.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

jivjov posted:

How in the world would he ruin the new Torment game? He's one writer among many, and presumably not in charge of the "main" thrust of the content of the game.
The Nameless One will enter Lolth's realm and level up his spider sex skills.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

But he doesn't, though. He just repeatedly does the "unexpected magic powers to save the day!" Reading Sanderson is like watching superhero origin movie stories over and over. Credits for his Vancian style worldbuilding though.

Different strokes for different folks. I like how the unexpected magic powers all fit into the rules of the system Sanderson sets up in his books and origin stories are fine with me. I'm planning on getting the third kingkiller book, but I'll have to do a reread to remember what the plot is besides "What's in the box" and "wow Kvothe is good at everything, except getting that girl."

uber
Apr 13, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

"wow Kvothe is good at everything, except getting that girl."

This criticism of the Rothfuss books has always perplexed me, mostly because we know that at some point in the future Kvothe really Gets hosed Up. He might be smug and good at everything right now, but it's pretty clear that it won't last.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I know it's almost treason for me to say it these days... but I hope he expands the series past a trilogy. The pacing he's got so far is pretty messed up and there's just too much stuff that needs to happen in book 3. That is, unless he's truly going to end the series with Kote being a sad broken old innkeeper and not getting his groove back. I guess I always assumed the series would end with Kvothe returning to at least some semblance of happiness.

Now that I think about it more, it's possible he will end the first trilogy with Kote describing his past, and then start up a second trilogy describing Kvothe's return to power. Maybe I should bite my tongue!

uber
Apr 13, 2009

He's always been very evasive on the subject about how the story will end or if it'll end at all with just three books.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

uber posted:

This criticism of the Rothfuss books has always perplexed me, mostly because we know that at some point in the future Kvothe really Gets hosed Up. He might be smug and good at everything right now, but it's pretty clear that it won't last.

It's all I remember of the plothooks right now. It's not too bad to read, but the "Kvothe needs money" subplot was repeated a few too many times and then the fairy/ninja sex was a little over the top.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

uber posted:

I'm totally OK with hearing a badass legendary wizard tell his own story. I think a lot of the criticism comes from the poor characterization. It's just not what Rothfuss is good at. People have a natural self inversion toward self insert characters which is what Kvothe reads like.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

I'm totally OK with hearing a badass legendary wizard tell his own story. I think a lot of the criticism comes from the poor characterization. It's just not what Rothfuss is good at. People have a natural self inversion toward self insert characters which is what Kvothe reads like.

I'm not sure what "natural self inversion" means, are you saying that people dislike Kvothe because he appears to be Rothfuss inserting himself into the novel as a character? I've never gotten that impression from the novels at all. I think Rothfuss has even spoken on the matter, saying that they're quite different (he's the opposite of musical, for one).

Where I do see Rothfuss putting himself into the novels is in Manet. That guy is an exact copy of the author.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What the gently caress I had a stroke mid sentence. I meant to say natural aversion.

Also imo Kvothe is definitely a self insert even to the point where Rothfuss has publically compared himself to the character on his blog. I don't want to rehash it all because I've beaten that drum a lot in this thread.

The term does not always mean "someone who is like you." It means all your collected ideas about what's good and awesome are piled into the character in lieu of actual characterization. For some extreme examples, just imagine the protagonists in most fanfictions.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

If "Kote" isn't dead by the end of book 3 the series will be a failure.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ogmius815 posted:

If "Kote" isn't dead by the end of book 3 the series will be a failure.
I dunno, being a broken shell of a man who has lost all of his abilities and everything dear to him whose last act in life is to lie his rear end off in order to make everyone think he used to be amazing would be a fine way to end it if you ask me.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Kote will either be dead because he'll turn into the cool wizard-bard-ninja Kvothe again or he'll be literally dead because his heart explodes when he tries to do something cool or something. If nothing happens with the framing element, then what's the point?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm still holding out for the unreliable narrator twist.

Otherwise the books are just non-stop wankery about how awesome Kovothe is...and that's just awful.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
Considering we haven't heard of any king, so far in this in Kingkiller chronicle, I think it's safe to say that book three is either going to have to include an absolute fuckton or it can't possibly be just a trilogy.

Or maybe Cinder/Mr Ash is the king of immortal killer ghost things and then you'd be all set.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Considering we haven't heard of any king, so far in this in Kingkiller chronicle, I think it's safe to say that book three is either going to have to include an absolute fuckton or it can't possibly be just a trilogy.

The king is going to be Ambrose. If you've been watching, Ambrose has been moving up the line of succession pretty rapidly.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Off the top of my head, here's what's been foreshadowed:
King Killed
4 Paneled Door
Yiddish Knot Secret
Mother's Identity Reveal
Fey World Invasion
Kvothe's Super Secret Box
That Other Lady's Secret Box
Bast's History
Kvothe's Alar Breaking: Kvothe -> Kote
Kvothe Kills An Angel (Maybe Tehlu??)
Chandrian/Lanre
Denna's Patron
Denna's Probable Death
The Weystones
Finding the Amyr

Yeah holy poo poo that's a lot to do in one book. Any two or three of those could structure a narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Snuffman posted:

I'm still holding out for the unreliable narrator twist.

Otherwise the books are just non-stop wankery about how awesome Kovothe is...and that's just awful.

I dunno. Othello was a pretty all around badass dude with the perfect girl and the perfect life. Achilles was an unstoppable warrior. Hell, Ned Stark was a pretty perfect paragon in a lot of ways. The whole 'look he's so good at everything, mhahaha' story isn't compelling but that isn't the story we're being presented with. We are holding out not for an unreliable narrator, but for a logical and foreseeable destruction of the once mighty by their own flaws. At least, that's the promise I've been sold on. I mean, as good as Kvothe is we've seen his flaws, for the most part. Arrogance and a false feeling of invincibility, a near complete inability to really read people, a slavish and silly devotion to a woman that he doesn't really understand nearly so well as he thinks he does, it's all there. I mean, the whole sex plot was way too long but it paid off with a. awesomely evil tree of dhoom, and b. the one woman Kvothe actually cares about getting pissed at him when he tries to go all PUA on her because, while she flirts around to keep herself alive, she doesn't go off sleeping with just anyone. Like, yeah, Kvothe got to be super sexy, cool. But he didn't know what to do with that and it ended up driving him further away from where he thought it'd take him. So much as we all groan 'oh god with the wish fulfillment,' the whole point is that Kvothe's pursuing, with great skill and flair, precisely the wrong sort of fulfillment.

I have no real explanation for the swordy stuff. I mean, that could've been done very differently, though I guess getting him to name the wind again was sorta key.

Anyway, if the next book doesn't sufficiently ravage Kvothe not with a cruel and unjust world but with his own mistakes I will be sorely peeves.

e: Sanderson is like 100% pure empty calories and sorta bleh all around. Like, I don't hate it, but I do feel like I've wasted the time I spent reading those books.

Double e: Everyone go read Glen Cook and Ian Banks.

• Locked thread