Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa.

An actual house in NJ, which is where The Monarch's parents' plane was said in the show to have crashed. Gotta give it to the creators.

e: VVV possibly. I saw it somewhere else, but may have missed it if it was posted here as well.

Wasn't that a house they built a copy of in California for the first season of American Horror Story?

e: Nope. Popped in a disc and no it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jerusalem posted:

I was too busy laughing at how his hatred and anger for Gary turns into,"Oh God Gary get out of there you might get hurt! :ohdear:"

Now that Dr. Mrs The Monarch is going to be The Monarch's boss, I wonder if The Monarch will take on 21 as his new #2? The Monarch and The Viceroy vs Dr. Venture and Sergeant Hatred has a nice ring to it.

Actually, I think the exact words were "Oh God Gary I still hate you but you gotta get outta there" or something to that effect. And I also thought that DMtM made it pretty clear she was going to remain his #2 in spirit even if she technically outranks him by many factors now.

That being said, I can't wait to find out what happens to the Moppets. They were clearly not in tow with the Monarch, DMtM, and Twenty-One.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh the humanity! made me giggle. Hindenburg references don't come across all that often.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

qirex posted:

I kept waiting for a "here's what Dean has been up to" episode because they didn't show him doing much and there were the cuts on his arms and the like but the Myra episode didn't quite do it.

I think Dean being a mopey, angsty, depressed kid the whole time was all that he was up to. It seems like Hank's speech at the end will be what snaps Dean out of his "my life is meaningless because I'm a clone" funk, and let him become an adult too. This season laid the groundwork for the two of them growing up and making lives of their own in season 6, instead of living under their dad's (meager, almost non-existent) shadow the way Doc did with Jonas Sr.

I really hope there's an Almost Famous episode next season, where Dean tries being a reporter by going on the road with Shallow Gravy. Maybe Hank can get loaded on drugs (or, more likely, coffee) and jump off a roof in his Batman costume.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I really hope there's an Almost Famous episode next season, where Dean tries being a reporter by going on the road with Shallow Gravy. Maybe Hank can get loaded on drugs (or, more likely, coffee) and jump off a roof in his Batman costume.

"I AM THE NIIIIIIGHT!" *jumps into a pool that's only six feet deep*

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

qirex posted:

I kept waiting for a "here's what Dean has been up to" episode because they didn't show him doing much and there were the cuts on his arms and the like but the Myra episode didn't quite do it.
Didn't we see him arm-deep in Helper at least once? I just assumed that was what the cuts were from.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

That wasn't the season finale was it?

e; Jeez it was, what a letdown :(
I kept hoping the season would pick up and somehow they were building to something and then it just fizzled and that was it. I guess alot of you liked the season but I'm completely dumbfounded. What happened to the writing from last season? Did they change show runners or something? The plot didn't move forward at all. It was 8 mediocre stand-alone eps. Last season' finale was one of the best moments of television ever and I didn't even know this one WAS a finale.

Umph fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 24, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Umph posted:

I kept hoping the season would pick up and somehow they were building to something and then it just fizzled and that was it. I guess alot of you liked the season but I'm completely dumbfounded. What happened to the writing from last season? Did they change show runners or something? The plot didn't move forward at all. It was 8 mediocre stand-alone eps. Last season' finale was one of the best moments of television ever and I didn't even know this one WAS a finale.

You can stop the trolling. Everything moved along at a decent pace.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Umph posted:

Season 5 and Season 6 are really more of a Season 4 Part 1 and Season 4 Part 2 situation. Remember how the first part ended with just Pinstripes and Poltergeists?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dean finding out he's a clone was, uh, sort of the story moving forward in a big way.

Oh and Dermott finding out he's a Venture.

Also, didn't notice it until just now, but over the course of the season both Hank and Dean got over their teenage crushes! Good work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

qirex posted:

I kind of felt like we missed half a season in there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I kind of felt like we missed half a season in there.

We'll probably hear all about it when it comes out on DVD/Bluray.

"We totally planned to do six more episodes this season but we were way too busy on side projects and occasional merchandising opportunities."

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

evilwaldo posted:

You can stop the trolling. Everything moved along at a decent pace.

Uhm, that's a perfectly reasonable and well stated opinion. It's also the right one. I have no clue how anybody can possibly say it was the best season of the show. I love Venture Bros and I'm eagerly waiting the next season, because this one was a tremendous letdown. Some good episodes, some great jokes but nothing really struck me as amazing. And it was definitely a step down in terms of finales and the weakest by far.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Frostwerks posted:

Uhm, that's a perfectly reasonable and well stated opinion. It's also the right one. I have no clue how anybody can possibly say it was the best season of the show. I love Venture Bros and I'm eagerly waiting the next season, because this one was a tremendous letdown. Some good episodes, some great jokes but nothing really struck me as amazing. And it was definitely a step down in terms of finales and the weakest by far.

Well I have no clue how anyone could possibly say it wasn't the best season of the show. :colbert:

(but seriously, being condescending about your opinions is absurd).

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wasn't being condescending?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Now that Dr. Mrs The Monarch is going to be The Monarch's boss, I wonder if The Monarch will take on 21 as his new #2? The Monarch and The Viceroy vs Dr. Venture and Sergeant Hatred has a nice ring to it.
Technically, Dr. Mrs The Monarch hasn't been his number #2 since the end of season 2, she's been his partner.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm still unsure about what exactly Dean's skill-set is. He's shown to be proficient in science when he wants to, and he apparently still has an interest in writing, if him re-organizing Gentleman's book is any indication.

Umph posted:

The plot didn't move forward at all. It was 8 mediocre stand-alone eps.
This is the first time we have a plot in the Venture Brothers, and it did move forward, even though it was at a snail pace. The O.S.I. is slowly preparing its war plans and we got insight on how they want to go at it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress this loving gay earth because I had to buy a new copy of season 2 today because one of my discs is scratched and I tried various repair methods from the internet and it's still hosed.

I am never ever lending my loving dvds to anybody ever again.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress this loving gay earth because I had to buy a new copy of season 2 today because one of my discs is scratched and I tried various repair methods from the internet and it's still hosed.

You could try some video stores or pawn shops to see if they have disc resurfacing available in your area. I've tried it a few times and for the $1.50-$3 and it's worked for me: Saved me a few old CDs, a movie and a couple of games.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Frostwerks posted:

I would agree with all of this, but I wouldn't consider the season as a whole to be a letdown. The finale, most definitely, (you're going to go from closing out sesaon 4 with an epic hour-long masterpiece to this?!) but not the rest of the season. They all met the above-average quality of a typical Venture Bros. episode, but plot-wise it was all setup and no payoff. In that sense the writing felt a little lazy, like they couldn't figure out how what direction to push certain plot lines in so they just put it off for another year or two. But every episode left me laughing (except for Spanakopita) and anticipating the next, so I got my money's worth.

Install Gentoo posted:

Remember how the first part ended with just Pinstripes and Poltergeists?

The difference: Pinstripes and Poltergeists was a god drat amazing episode, easily one of the top 5 in my opinion. This finale... solid but nothing special about it besides Colonel Gentleman, and Hank's speech. (You know the one I'm talking about.)

Sash! posted:

Also, didn't notice it until just now, but over the course of the season both Hank and Dean got over their teenage crushes! Good work.

How do you know Hank's still not after the mail lady?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Hedrigall posted:

Spare a thought for us poor Brits who cannot even buy them without ridiculous import rates.

Unless somebody knows any different (please tell me something different :ohdear:)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Welp looks like its just :spergin: from here on out. I don't know how people can obsess over every little detail of an animated comedy. Seems like it would just suck the humor right out.

See y'all in 2018.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, I can't wait to find out what happens to the Moppets. They were clearly not in tow with the Monarch, DMtM, and Twenty-One.

Is it outlandish to think the Moppets and all the Henchmen are dead? The Cocoon crashed and burned.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Red posted:

Is it outlandish to think the Moppets and all the Henchmen are dead? The Cocoon crashed and burned.

Nah, this is like the third time it has happened. Gary rebuilt it the first time with the people he and 24 recruited, and the moppets had the henchmen do it the second time. Cocoon rebuilding season premieres are pretty standard.

I don't think the moppets are dead, and I think they work for Phantom Limb still. I bet there will be another showdown with them in season 6.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jeffrey posted:

Nah, this is like the third time it has happened. Gary rebuilt it the first time with the people he and 24 recruited, and the moppets had the henchmen do it the second time. Cocoon rebuilding season premieres are pretty standard.

I don't think the moppets are dead, and I think they work for Phantom Limb still. I bet there will be another showdown with them in season 6.

The first time it was destroyed, it was detonated on purpose by 21 and 24. It was empty.

The second time I remember it being destroyed, it was empty, except for Dean, who was spaced out, and crashed it into ... the X-1, flown by The Triad - right? All the henchmen were fighting Phantom Limb's troops.

Red fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 24, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I get the feeling you guys who want a big myth arc plot and a finale that focuses more on action than on jokes and character development are watching the wrong comedy cartoon.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think my biggest disappointment with the season is how short it is. Is it a matter of Adult Swim being really tight-fisted, or do the producers just prefer to work the way they work and that happens to be unconducive to doing more than a handful of episodes a year?

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

So, like, did the revenge society show up AT ALL in this season?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wasper posted:

Yes, in a post-credits scene.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think my biggest disappointment with the season is how short it is. Is it a matter of Adult Swim being really tight-fisted, or do the producers just prefer to work the way they work and that happens to be unconducive to doing more than a handful of episodes a year?

The answer in this thread to this usually comes down to "artistic integrity", Publick and Hammer write the all episodes themselves and that takes time. Also the animation process is a apparently time intensive. I guess you could "solve" both by throwing money at the problem but then would you want to?

In other news, my first shirt package seems to have arrived. The tracking of the second has been at "Electronic Shipping Info Received" for half a month now.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 24, 2013

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Red posted:

The Moppets are scrappy enough to survive. I would guess that at least Tim-Tom is dead, and that Kevin was still near the garbage chute and used it to escape. He will then join the Revenge Society as an 'official' member to take revenge on 21 for killing Tim-Tom for entirely wrong reasons.

2house2fly posted:

I get the feeling you guys who want a big myth arc plot and a finale that focuses more on action than on jokes and character development are watching the wrong comedy cartoon.
I thought that the people who were disappointed by the finale regreted the lack of character development over the whole season and the absence of change to the statu quo. Gary has gone back to the fold (although with a brand new nemeses), Dean is apparently on the way back to his old self (not convinced about this one, he may have had the burden of the secret lifted from his shoulders, but I don't think he's done with his identity crisis), everyone at the Venture compound has stayed more or less the same (although Hatred has got himself a brand new person to hate and is motivated again) and the biggest change, Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man entering a new phase of their retirement, was really sudden and we didn't have time to care about it.

According to some people, the huge gap between seasons and small number of episodes could be explained by the change of the production company, it could be better next season.

Wasper posted:

In the stinger for the penultimate episode. Many people are already speculating that they're holed up in the Monarch's old house. Which has me questioning Killinger's motives here, in general he tends to improve dramatically the operations of his clients before repairing their souls, and yet here the Revenge Society lives in a dump. What gives? Different people, different methods?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

It is similar to how Season 4 worked: 8 episodes, then a long break before any more come out. Only this time, they're just going to call the next block Season 6.

Only we really have 9 because the Halloween episode was supposed to be in the season order but they pulled it out to run early. Also unlike the first half of season 4 where it was just 8 half-hour eps, the first ep was in fact an hour long. So there's that, it all adds up to 10 episodes of content.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just caught up with the last 3 episodes last night and caught a reference I haven't thought about in ages.

When Hank answers the phone when their "mom" calls, he answers it "Bula Vinaka Beachside"
which is from this commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m13wtKvEYrw

Edit: Was beaten. Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembered it though.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 24, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sereri posted:

The answer in this thread to this usually comes down to "artistic integrity", Publick and Hammer write the all episodes themselves and that takes time. Also the animation process is a apparently time intensive. I guess you could "solve" both by throwing money at the problem but then would you want to?

I guess it would depend on where a lot of time is spent. I mean if it genuinely takes them two years to bust out thirteen (or ten, now) scripts, then no, I wouldn't want AS to hire additional writers. But if throwing more money at animation meant going from two years to one year with approximately the same visual quality then hell yes I am all for it.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Bobulus posted:

So here's another insane relative theory:

So "Triple Threat", the woman Action Man had a crush on and whom Brainulo made him fight, is clearly Rose, the woman... that he has a crush on.

(Note the glasses, the rose pin, the hairstyle)

Also, her costume has an obvious showgirl theme, and her name is a showbiz reference.

And what does Billy's mom think will save Hank from devil music? Showtunes!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just rewatching season 2 and got to say, Victor Echo November is probably one of the best episodes they've ever done, I could list all the reasons it's great but it's probably easier to mention the only reason it isn't; Kim and her potential career in supervillainry are never seen again.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Please don't bring up goddamn Kim. Nobody cares about Kim except huge whiny annoying nerds. (not targeted at you)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Shindragon posted:

Please don't bring up goddamn Kim. Nobody cares about Kim except huge whiny annoying nerds. (not targeted at you)

Maybe he's one of the nerds that makes horrifying porn about the Venture Bros, did you think about that.

Also my shirt hasn't shipped yet :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

sbaldrick posted:

Maybe he's one of the nerds that makes horrifying porn about the Venture Bros, did you think about that.

Also my shirt hasn't shipped yet :(

Which one? It took a while for mines to start getting shipped. Hell there is one back at June 29th that still hasn't arrived.

All three other shirts did arrive though.

I'm assuming the Palemon/Colors shirt is last.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Kim ended up being just another hench after the whole Christian school stuff in Florida. Totally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Maybe the deflated feeling that the season finale left us with was intentional? I've always thought that a big part of the show was to humanize the most ludicrous of people, globetrotting super-scientists and villainous lunatics alike. And there's not much more identifiable than the sobering realization that something you've poured a majority of your life into is not going to have the payout you were looking for. Absurd and explosive things happen to the cast all the time, and they react, not necessarily with complete ambivalence, but with the kind of attitude someone gets when their dog has to go to the vet for the third time this year. It's a stressor, one that isn't unique, but doesn't happen frequently enough to completely desensitize you.

Operation: P.R.O.M. is my favorite episode of television. However, poo poo that intense can't happen to real people on a regular basis. I saw the season finale as sort of a breather, the creators giving a few of their characters enough time and breathing room to really look at what the hell they're doing and address it. It's not the same kind of intensity that a huge problem that must be overcome immediately brings, but it does bring certain emotions to the surface to air out.

edit: I should mention I really liked the whole season and thought there was enough plot advancement to jusify a self-centered episode where characters interact with themselves more than the world around them, so I didn't have a really high expectation for the finale to be a big ol deal.

Hawaiian Shirt fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 24, 2013