Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is the entire GGPO thing nudge-nudge wink-wink or is there actually a way to obtain a license for these games? Would copying the bits from an original physical media even be legal?

Is there even any way to buy these arcade boards new anymore? Anywhere you buy them will be second hand so you're already a pirate anyway. According to "the industry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

Is there even any way to buy these arcade boards new anymore? Anywhere you buy them will be second hand so you're already a pirate anyway. According to "the industry"

Buying used arcade boards isn't piracy.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

b0lt posted:

You picked like the worst match to link, this one is much better.

I don't know what's going on for more than half of this loving match.

"What a majestic round by Stunedge...!"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Even for all the convoluted UIs and overwhelming visuals that are pretty much a staple in Arc System's games, the only time I lost track of what was happening was when they got into a corner battle and all you can see is these two explosions bumping against each other.

Anyway, is the Qanba Q1 still a good starting point for someone who doesn't own a stick? It seems like the cheapest choice without getting into junk territory, and I could probably just mod it if there are any real issues.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 23, 2013

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.
I must just be trying to watch too many things at once, though that UI is loving atrocious.

Yume on the left has a HP bar, some BURST mechanic, some cards(?) an overheat(??) meter, an ammo counter(???) and an EX/Super(????) bar to keep track of, and some anime character yelling encouragements.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Greenlit posted:

I must just be trying to watch too many things at once, though that UI is loving atrocious.

Yume on the left has a HP bar, some BURST mechanic, some cards(?) an overheat(??) meter, an ammo counter(???) and an EX/Super(????) bar to keep track of, and some anime character yelling encouragements.

It's not that bad if you just figured it out

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You play enough of the anime fighting games and you get used to that sort of stuff (a lot of meters and counters on screen to keep track of that is ).

Burst is basically your combo breaker. Two types. Blue can only be preformed while your in a combo, and if it hits the opponent they go flying away from you. Gold burst is done from neutral position. If it connects you get an instant 100% super bar. A wasted burst takes quite a long time to refill, so don't get baited.

Cards are your persona meter. Every hit your persona takes stops the personas current action and brings it down one card. All cards gone =no persona for about 10 seconds.

Overheat is Aigis exclusive. Governs her Orgia system which gives her faster movement options. Having the whole bar run out causes Aigis to Overheat, where she becomes slower. The key is to deactivate Orgia before you overheat.

Ammo is for her gatling moves. No way to recover ammo outside of next round start.

And yeah, your typical super bar. At 33% life you activate Awakening, which gives you a free 50% meter extension and a defense boost, as well as a new super.

Anime

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

At 33% life you activate Awakening, which gives you a free 50% meter extension and a defense boost, as well as a new super.

This is when the big giant anime eyes come in to obscure all the action even more, right?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is the entire GGPO thing nudge-nudge wink-wink or is there actually a way to obtain a license for these games? Would copying the bits from an original physical media even be legal?

You just gotta delete the ROM within 24 hours

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Greenlit posted:

Half of those UI things you can keep track of in your head without too much trouble. The yelling animes don't do anything.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Waterbed posted:

Half of those UI things you can keep track of in your head without too much trouble. The yelling animes don't do anything.

Maybe the yelling animes don't do anything to you. Let me tell you about my waifu Rise...

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'm going to be replacing the joystick in my WWE Brawl thing soon with a Sanwa one. I was considering getting an octagonal gate to go with it. Is there a consensus on whether square or octagonal is better? Or is it a preference thing? It's $3 so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to purchase one just to test out.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
It is a preference thing but really there's no reason to get an octagonal gate. Square is the standard basically everywhere and you're just going to annoy anyone else who uses your stick, or find yourself annoyed when you have to borrow someone else's and you can't play on a square gate.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!
I need some help. I have a 360 te stick that I'd like to use for ssf4:ae on pc.

I'm boot camping on a new 2013 MacBook Air into windows 7 64, and for some reason it refuses to recognize the stick. It flashes when I plug it in, but then windows says it can't find the correct drivers. I downloaded the Xbox 360 accessories program that's supposed to contain the right drivers, but the stick still is unusable.

Anyone have any idea as to why?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Nativity In Black posted:

I'm going to be replacing the joystick in my WWE Brawl thing soon with a Sanwa one. I was considering getting an octagonal gate to go with it. Is there a consensus on whether square or octagonal is better? Or is it a preference thing? It's $3 so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to purchase one just to test out.

Octo gates are a waste of time and everyone will make fun of you.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Some people say they are better for shmup games.

Octogates are for people who want to grind the stick against the gate. You shouldn't do that, you are supposed to learn to play with a light touch, but some people would prefer to just get the octogate. I find the practice very distasteful but you can live your life however you please.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html This link explains why the square gate is better.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

40 OZ posted:

Some people say they are better for shmup games.

Some people are totally crazy.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

40 OZ posted:

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html This link explains why the square gate is better.

To distill this a little:

Which of these would you rather block low with? Do a shoryu? A wind god fist, even?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
For some reason I always pictured an octagonal gate as being in the stick with the "down" area on one of its flat sides, rather than being on a corner.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
I bought an octo gate a year or two ago to try it out and it was garbage. I was whiffing all my Wesker combos all because gunshot was now difficult to pull off because you needed to ram the stick into the gate in order to get a diagonal out.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

So you are saying that octo gates are bad, will make me bad, and people will make fun of me?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

So you are saying that octo gates are bad, will make me bad, and people will make fun of me?

They make you try to kiss animals in illegal ways

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Octogates aren't terrible or anything but basically you'll have to switch sticks when playing casuals, can't borrow them at tournaments or other places, and they don't really offer an advantage other than a mild amount of comfort when first starting out which one can get used to quickly on square gate.

Anyone else saying otherwise are overstating how bad Octogates are.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Spooky is currently broadcasting his footage from the Namco FG panel at SDCC, Soul Caliber "crashed" the Tekken part and when SC2 HD was announced there was absolutely no reaction.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky#/w/6254234816

Supposedly they are about to announce the top 3 of there previously mentioned character poll.

put_salmon_in_tekken

Edit: Ono just crashed dressed as Chun Li.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 23, 2013

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Platypus Farm posted:

There are still arcade games made, but none of the old ones on GGPO have been manufactured since ~2002.

So who wants to play some on ggpo, I've got my boards ready

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Fayk posted:

There are still arcade games made, but none of the old ones on GGPO have been manufactured since ~2002.

you and me need to have a talk on behalf of next level. do you have EX 2 Plus Alpha?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

you and me need to have a talk on behalf of next level. do you have EX 2 Plus Alpha?

No. The stuff in that picture is all CPS2 stuff. I own some other boards and systems, but EX2 is on the Capcom ZT-1 or whatever system. I know nothing about that stuff.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Fayk posted:

I know you're a big Jojos guy, do you have the CPS3 board for it? It seems super rare..

Oh sorry you said that picture had nothing but CPS2 boards. drat, what a shame.

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 24, 2013

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Cromlech posted:

I know you're a big Jojos guy, do you have the CPS3 board for it? It seems super rare..

Oh sorry you said that picture had nothing but CPS2 boards. drat, what a shame.

Yeah, I have Jojo's. It's just not in that picture.

It's reasonably uncommon, but also less popular, so I'd say it's cheaper to buy than Third Strike. CPS3 setups are reasonably expensive in general though.

At this point the nature of the hardware/encryption is understood enough that people know how to run Jojos on boards while using the carts for other games. There's a more complicated effort than that (the continuing attempts to fight the results of suicide batteries) but that's a bit more complicated to explain.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
That's super cool actually. I didn't know you could even do such a thing. Us Jojos players are the coolest people around anyway :colbert:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
After watching that linked P4A match, I really ought to pick it up sometime. Is it gonna be dead within a year?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it gonna be dead within a year?

Ahahaha good one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Ahahaha good one.
It's dead already, isn't it? :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's dead already, isn't it? :(

It's got more life than Jojo!

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
It's double-dead in Europe it seems.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Fayk posted:

Yeah, I have Jojo's. It's just not in that picture.

It's reasonably uncommon, but also less popular, so I'd say it's cheaper to buy than Third Strike. CPS3 setups are reasonably expensive in general though.

At this point the nature of the hardware/encryption is understood enough that people know how to run Jojos on boards while using the carts for other games. There's a more complicated effort than that (the continuing attempts to fight the results of suicide batteries) but that's a bit more complicated to explain.

What's really cool now is that the dude who's done all the work on this is most of the way done with a BIOS that supports rewriting the game data all from one CD, from the BIOS menu, to any of the 6 CPS3 games. Hopefully should be out this month, handy considering my 3rd strike cart died last week, found a dude that will do the whole soldering/BIOS programming thing for me too so i'll report back when it's out and i've got it going.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

It's double-dead in Europe it seems.
Well drat. I really wanna get into a new fighting game since I don't like SF4 (I love chain combo fighters, don't really like the amount of ground links in SF4 combos) and anybody who plays Marvel is just gonna be way too far ahead of me at this point (plus, like with Tekken, there's way too many matchups to learn by now). GGXrd can't come out soon enough.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Well drat. I really wanna get into a new fighting game since I don't like SF4 (I love chain combo fighters, don't really like the amount of ground links in SF4 combos) and anybody who plays Marvel is just gonna be way too far ahead of me at this point (plus, like with Tekken, there's way too many matchups to learn by now). GGXrd can't come out soon enough.

Watch Xrd come out a full year later in Europe.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Watch Xrd come out a full year later in Europe.
So long as the PS4 isn't region locked I'll just import like I did with BBCT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

I really wanna get into a new fighting game since I don't like SF4

Hi, I'm here to annoyingly evangelize for KoFXIII again. Play KoFXIII! It's really good, I promise!

Thanks for your time.

• Locked thread