Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ViggyNash posted:

And the Rebuild series is HIGHLY recommended, but not as a replacement for everything else. It doesn't matter if you watch the series/movies and then Rebuild or vice versa.

It actually does, do not watch the rebuild movies before the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I'll go against the majority opinion; skip eva it's super boring. You're lucky if there's 1-2 minutes of significant dialog/action in any given episode, it and Lain are the only two shows that have literally put me to sleep while watching them. Maybe you'll enjoy it like a lot of other posters obviously have, but I don't think you're really missing out by not having seen it before.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Absolutely. 99% of the time production order is the way to go. Eva's no exception.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

So I have spent the morning watching Eva, and I know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the end of the series. I am under the impression that the series director didn't really want to spell out the ending/ wanted to leave it ambiguous? I know that some people feel the movie was made to supplement the ending, while others feel it is a new ending.

My question is, are all the controversies and questions regarding the ending of the series and movie due to the director's intentional ambiguity/wanting to leave it up to interpretation, or is it due to plot holes and poor story telling?

e: Is the claimed intentional ambiguity of the final arc of the series a cover-up for an ending that wasn't thought through?

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 23, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ran out of budget.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RebBrownies posted:

So I have spent the morning watching Eva, and I know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the end of the series. I am under the impression that the series director didn't really want to spell out the ending/ wanted to leave it ambiguous? I know that some people feel the movie was made to supplement the ending, while others feel it is a new ending.

My question is, are all the controversies and questions regarding the ending of the series and movie due to the director's intentional ambiguity/wanting to leave it up to interpretation, or is it due to plot holes and poor story telling?

e: Is the claimed intentional ambiguity of the final arc of the series a cover-up for an ending that wasn't thought through?

What difference does it make? Let the show speak for itself.

There aren't any plot holes if you actually use the phrase correctly and precisely, but most people don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RebBrownies posted:

There are equal numbers of people who will tell you that the ending is how it is because GAINAX ran out of money and time and couldn't finish it properly until EoE as there those who will say that the ending is exactly how Anno wanted it and EoE is a reaction to critics of the ending.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

RebBrownies posted:

Its not so much ambiguity as it complete and total insanity. The ending of eva (both the movie and the last episodes)is batshit loving cuckoo insane. The most insane poo poo ever. There will be a very specific moment about 2/3rds through where you will go "oh, NOW it gets crazy". Its extremely different than the pretty normal first portion, that's where the hate comes from.

The ending is so batshit insane because Gainax literally ran out of money. The last 1/3rd is noticeably cheaper than the first 2/3rds, with gratuitous longshots, stills lasting for a minute or longer at a time, and animation re-use where possible. The last 2 episodes are almost entirely black title cards and re-used animation cells. Its loving glorious.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The way the ending looks has at least as much to do with Japanese TV censorship as it does with budgetary concerns. Evangelion didn't run out of money in the last two episodes, it was overbudget for half the drat series.

Sakurazuka posted:

There are equal numbers of people who will tell you that the ending is how it is because GAINAX ran out of money and time and couldn't finish it properly until EoE as there those who will say that the ending is exactly how Anno wanted it and EoE is a reaction to critics of the ending.

Both these kinds of people are dumb, though. The original scripts for episodes 25 and 26 exist (they're pretty much a rough draft of EoE) but it's not like Anno threw up his hands and handed the episodes off to an intern when the TV company said "no," either.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 23, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Both these kinds of people are dumb, though. The original scripts for episodes 25 and 26 exist (they're pretty much a rough draft of EoE) but it's not like Anno threw up his hands and handed the episodes off to an intern when the TV company said "no," either.

Any idea where I could find these, by any chance?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DerLeo posted:

Any idea where I could find these, by any chance?

They haven't been fully translated into English, but this is what I was going by:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

People in the Eva thread have said it doesn't matter too much, and in fact I watched the first 2 Rebuild movies far before I watched the series and EoE. To me they felt like 2 very different experiences of (almost) the same story.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For those looking for something to watch, we're going to be starting a simulwatch of the Vision of Escaflowne next Monday.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

This has been my second attempt at watching Eva and I am really enjoying it, and I know I'm going to cry. I think it took erasing my preconceived notion about Shinji being a whiny bitch, and really absorbing the fact he was 14. The religious imagery really isn't doing much for me, but I'll wait till I get in deeper and maybe I'll gobble it up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RebBrownies posted:

This has been my second attempt at watching Eva and I am really enjoying it, and I know I'm going to cry. I think it took erasing my preconceived notion about Shinji being a whiny bitch, and really absorbing the fact he was 14. The religious imagery really isn't doing much for me, but I'll wait till I get in deeper and maybe I'll gobble it up.

Shinji is definitely one of my favorite protagonists in any fiction, if only because I completely emphasize with every aspect of him. I was that dude (and still am that dude, ten years later) at age 14. On a non-personal note, he's also a truly great existentialist hero who is infused with a great deal of human frailty, and that pathos is what really drives the whole show forwards. It's hard to imagine the program without Shinji as its centerpiece.

As for the Christian imagery, it's best to view it (at least in my view) not as an individual hunt for some specific symbolism ("why do the angels shoot cross-shaped energy blasts"), but as an overall thematic element. Like: What does it actually mean to be "Christian?" Is it about the unification of people under a singular identity ("all men are brothers," etc.) and the desire for a "oneness" with God, or is it about the universal love and acceptance of ultimately flawed people that Christ embodied? Is it about the importance of the community of the faithful (human relationships), or the singular, mystical experience one has with God? I think (and this probably seems a little bizarre) that the series is ultimately anti-Christian, but pro-Christ.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

The best way to view the christian imagery in eva is not to. Its meaningless and is just there to look cool.

E hey maybe take future eva discussion to the eva thread, you're not really asking for recs anymore.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 24, 2013

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The best way to view the christian imagery in eva is not to. Its meaningless and is just there to look cool.

E hey maybe take future eva discussion to the eva thread, you're not really asking for recs anymore.

Sorry about that! Will do!

Is The Freedom Project any good? I love the guy who designed the characters, but I read that was the extent to which he was involved in the project. ( I also heard it was a huge plug for Cup O'Noodles/ funded heavily by Cup O'Noodles? )

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
After about four tries to get past the first episode, I finally watched Steins;Gate, basically mainlining it over three days. Very glad I gave it another try. Now I'm desperate for a fix that scratches the same itch. Especially the relationship between the two main characters, I think I'm so burnt out on anime relationships never going anywhere that felt extremely refreshing in contrast. It probably also helped having the characters be university students rather than 14 year olds.

Can someone recommend a show with a good romance that has an actual ending, some nice character building, an interesting protagonist who isn't a ridiculous introvert/empty space and maybe some drama/action/tension for kicks? I feel like I've watched enough good stuff that there probably isn't much out there I haven't tried, but I never know!

edit: I think in retrospect it was that nice balance of humour, character, romance and "suddenly poo poo gets real" that really worked for me in Steins;Gate.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

After about four tries to get past the first episode, I finally watched Steins;Gate, basically mainlining it over three days. Very glad I gave it another try. Now I'm desperate for a fix that scratches the same itch. Especially the relationship between the two main characters, I think I'm so burnt out on anime relationships never going anywhere that felt extremely refreshing in contrast. It probably also helped having the characters be university students rather than 14 year olds.

Can someone recommend a show with a good romance that has an actual ending, some nice character building, an interesting protagonist who isn't a ridiculous introvert/empty space and maybe some drama/action/tension for kicks? I feel like I've watched enough good stuff that there probably isn't much out there I haven't tried, but I never know!

edit: I think in retrospect it was that nice balance of humour, character, romance and "suddenly poo poo gets real" that really worked for me in Steins;Gate.

As far as good romance, solid ending, and great character dynamics, E7 is the first to come to mind. Renton can be a bit of a whiny moron however.

As far as something to match Steins;Gate... I don't know. It was a show with so many amazing flavors that I still have trouble finding anything similar to match it. If you liked Steins;Gate's humor then you'll also enjoy Robotics;Notes, which is another show/VN in Nitro+'s "Science Adventure" series and in fact are connected. It is nowhere near as good overall (because loving studio deen), but I still found it very entertaining and the story was decent.

e: I just thought that Chuunibyo kind of fits. It starts off as a silly (and freaking gorgeous) romp about a girl obsessed with her 8th-grade-syndrome and a boy that wants to forget he ever had it. Half way through, it very fluidly transitions into a romance between the two. It also had a pretty solid ending.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Kemonozume.

EDIT: Also if you liked Okabe's transformation from a delusional rear end in a top hat to a decent human being, check out Welcome to the NHK; it's a focused and much less forgiving version of the same thing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 24, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While it's not an action series at all, and it's a manga, I'm gonna throw out another recommendation for Bonnouji for you, Blamestorm. It's not been fully scanlated yet but I do believe the core series itself has been completed. It's just a wonderful, fun, pretty realistic romance compared to any other anime romance, with characters that are interesting and funny and make awesome faces. The relationship starts during the course of the series instead of the final loving chapter like a lot of series. It's just a shockingly good series from someone whose seemingly most well-known work is a fairly unpopular Touhou manga.

If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's the Yotsuba of seinen romance. I get the same sort of lighthearted fun with Bonnouji as I do with Yotsuba(though Bonnouji is decidedly more adult-oriented).

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Thanks guys! I've seen Eureka 7 but not any of the others. I'll check em out. It feels increasingly rare that I discover a series which keeps me hooked so closely from episode 4 or so right through till the end, I suspect I've just seen much of the best that's out there. Some new ideas here though!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

Can someone recommend a show with a good romance that has an actual ending, some nice character building, an interesting protagonist who isn't a ridiculous introvert/empty space and maybe some drama/action/tension for kicks?
Maison Ikkoku. It's about a collage student named Yusaku Godai who falls in love with his recently widowed new landlady Kyoko Otonashi. A lot of the story is Godai trying to find his way in the world and Kyoko trying to come to terms with the loss of her husband. Lots of ups and downs, misunderstandings, rivalry, tender and comedic moments. It's got a great cast, an ending that's satisfying and is just a classic romance anime.

The big problem is the original creator. Rumiko Takahashi who if you have any experience with her works she has a tendency to run things into the ground. Luckily Maison Ikkoku is of her long works the lest effected by this since it was published in a seinen magazine. It's still long though at 96 episodes.

Probably one of my favorite TV shows.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black I ended up watching some of A Certain Scientific Railgun, and it was one of the worst things I've watched in years. Disgusting show with silly writing. Are there any other good shows inspired by the X-Men or is it pretty much just DtB and its OVA?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black I ended up watching some of A Certain Scientific Railgun, and it was one of the worst things I've watched in years. Disgusting show with silly writing. Are there any other good shows inspired by the X-Men or is it pretty much just DtB and its OVA?

Scryed is definitely something in that vein. I liked it back in the day but I don't know how it has held up since it has been many years since I last saw it. Still, worth taking a shot!

Towa no Quon also had a huge X-man vibe to it. I've only seen the first episode so I can't speak to its overall quality, but the X-men influence was incredibly obvious (government hunting down the people with superpowers, a disguised shelter for them, that sort of thing).

There are tons of shows like that since teenagers with random superpowers might as well be the lifeblood of light novel-based shows. Sadly, most of them are not good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Do you mean "X-Men show" like "ensemble team of superheroes," or like "mutants as a metaphor for social injustice?"

Tiger and Bunny seems like an obvious answer; lots of people here loved it. I found it pretty mediocre but it's so on-the-nose it seems remiss to not mention it.

One Piece is long as hell and obviously intended for an audience of children / younger teenagers, but it's incredibly charming, has imaginatively themed superpowers, and once it catches its stride it tackles issues of racism, classism, etc. Not anywhere near as grim as Darker Than Black, of course.

Speaking of imaginatively themed superpowers, nothing is as good in that department as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The resemblances end there, but you should watch (and read) it anyways because it's the best shonen ever written.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Here's the thing with Railgun season 1: It's all fanservice, both for creepy otakus and Index fans. I liked the idea it had for a story, but it wasn't very well presented and there was too much filler between plot. Railgun S (season 2) is to Railgun what Game of Thrones is to How I Met Your Mother. EVERYTHING is better and there's almost no comparison. If you can't force yourself through the fanservice of season 1, so be it, but at least watch Railgun S.

I personally found Railgun 1 to be entertaining enough with my brain turned off, but Railgun S is legitimately good. As far as it being an X-Menesque show, it's not really that. Railgun S strictly follows Misaka and doesn't pay much attention to the girls from the first season, although Kuroko does have a part in several episodes (they don't push the whole psycho lesbian thing though).

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black

Have you tried the actual X-Men anime?

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 24, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Redcrimson posted:

Don't do this to the poor guy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Is it on the same level as the Iron Man anime?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

Is it on the same level as the Iron Man anime?

Oh, it's pretty bad. But he asked about Japanese X-Men, seemed like a logical suggestion. The Wolverine anime was actually watchable.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Hey, guys, so I finally saw Redline and it blew my loving mind. Can anyone recommend something that looks as good, and is pretty actiony? Plot is a non-issue. I saw Madoka already, as well as Fate/Zero already.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Get thee to a dead leaves

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Geek U.S.A. posted:

You definitely want to watch Tiger & Bunny. It's basically what the X-Men would be IRL: commercialized as gently caress.

Kayten posted:

Hey, guys, so I finally saw Redline and it blew my loving mind. Can anyone recommend something that looks as good, and is pretty actiony? Plot is a non-issue. I saw Madoka already, as well as Fate/Zero already.

Redline is pretty high tier when it comes to animation quality, but other shows with very high animation quality includes Cowboy Bebop (obvious but, well, you never know), Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Also Dead Leaves is definitely something worth checking out.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 26, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kayten posted:

Katanagatari. Also, another vote for Dead Leaves.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Akira is my go-to example for something with phenomenal animation. It's a different style from Redline, but hey if you somehow haven't seen it, you should!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kayten posted:

I've really gotta watch Redline again. It was the first non-Miyazaki anime I'd ever watched So I didn't really have anything to compare it to since I didn't really see Miyazaki movies as "anime" back then.

As far as batshit insane over the top glorious nonsense things, Gurren Lagaan, FLCL, Panty and Stocking. You could also try Nichijou which technically isn't an action show, but the animation is so absurdly over the top that it outdoes the majority of action shows.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Well, I'm not sure what kind of X-Man fan you are, so here's a selection:

Eureka 7 AO actually has a lot of the themes I think of when I think of X-Men. You should probably watch the original first. But yeah, its a show about special people with powers that are feared and overall deals with a lot of the racial problems endemic in modern Japan (much like how X-Men has been not so secretly about Racism/being gay over the years).

Tokyo Majin is like X-Men if you replaced "preppy new England private academy" with "Japanese Buddhism" in the design document. It's also pretty similar to Darker than Black in tone.

Dogs: Bullets and Carnage OVA is the OVA for a pretty average manga series. The anime is actually really fuckin' cool and well done. It's got a sort of "days of future past" or "Bishop: The Last Xman" vibe to it.

Arcana Famiglia is probably the closest your going to get to a straight up generic X-Men styled thing. There is an Italian island, on it are a bunch of guys with super powers who fight bad dudes. Its starts out really poorly but then about three or four episodes in it gets a lot darker and the actual plot emerges (it tricks you into thinking its a harem anime, then it turns out to actually be about the morality behind fighting evil and how far you are willing to go towards being evil yourself to do it).

Fairy Tail Someone already mentioned One Piece, this show is a huge One Piece rip-off so by extension its also pretty close to a generic western superhero comic. My roommate watches it all the time, I am not a huge fan but it's pretty well animated for generic shonen.

X There is literally nothing notable about this except for its similarity to X-Men. If X-men were really really gay. But in that not-cool late 90's Japanese style of gay where its just half baked erotic fantasy for middle aged women and teen girls who have clearly never met a gay person in their life and who would poo poo themselves in fear at the idea of big burly dudes makin' out(it's by CLAMP so this goes without saying).

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 26, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kayten posted:

Try Sword of the Stranger, it probably has the best animated fight scenes in anything, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sakurazuka posted:

Try Sword of the Stranger, it probably has the best animated fight scenes in anything, ever.

I'll second this even though I found the plot a bit overly cliched for something that otherwise takes itself pretty seriously.

• Locked thread