Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I started a playthrough with the engi A ship and quickly found a second ion blaster II and the augmentation that increases fire rate. Enemy ships were crippled by machine gun fire and torn apart by drone(s). It was glorious. Even the flagship went down in record speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Anti-Hero posted:

I think I speak for everyone else who is STILL waiting for the crystal ship when I say "gently caress you".

Did you know that there didn't used to be that quest marker in the Rock Homeworlds that indicates the entrance to crystal space? You could get the crystal man out of his pod, find a Rock Homeworld, and still fail to unlock the ship. It's true! It happened to me twice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I can't make Engi A work very well, but I think it's because I generally tend towards boarding. I hardly ever use drones in most playthroughs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I finally beat the game and unlocked the dickship!! :buddy:

So uh yeah, two Burst Laser 2s, two Burst Laser 1s, two reloaders, a master gunner, three shield bubbles, 55% evasion, and a cloak is pretty much a guaranteed win unless you do something insanely stupid. My ship's boarding defence was made up of one untrained human with a silly name, so my strategy for boarding drones ended up being "shoot at drone control one time, ignore now-unpowered drone." My damage output was so loving gross that I accidentally blew up the flagship's first phase - I had intended to kill the missile, ion, and beam gunners, but I massacred the flagship's hull so brutally and rapidly that I hadn't even damaged the beam guy by the time the ship started exploding.

In the last phase I ended up venting half of my ship's rooms because they had a ton of dudes left to beam onto my ship and it was easiest just to asphyxiate them all while emanating lasers from every orifice and laughing maniacally. I completely forgot to cloak through the first two superweapon volleys and hardly noticed any difference; one of them landed exactly one hit on my ship on an empty room, the other didn't even touch my shields because my incredible goddamn crew evaded every single shot consecutively.

As far as first wins go, "gigantic one-sided slaughter" was a pretty satisfying way to do it :black101:

Anti-Hero posted:

I think I speak for everyone else who is STILL waiting for the crystal ship when I say "gently caress you".

I think the crystal ship was the third one I unlocked :shobon:

If it's any consolation, Crystal A is merely decent. Crystal B is apparently loving insane though, which I can well imagine since it's a boarding-specialized ship crewed entirely by crystal beings, which are the absolute strongest all-around boarders in the game if you use them cleverly. I can't even imagine the sheer doom that four combat-master crystal beings on a four-tile teleporter could cause. Instantly beam into enemy medbay, lockdown lockdown lockdown lockdown, enemy crew is now stuck on a ship with a busted medbay and four incredibly angry giant crystal motherfuckers. Game over.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Crystal B has just three crystal members, though. They are absolutely amazing, nevertheless. I don't think I've ever lost a game with Crystal B if I can find a decent weapon for auto ships in Sector 1.

And personally I jump into the weapon bay, lockdown, bust the weapons, let the angry crew come in, then lockdown when they start running for the medbay.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 24, 2013

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Inadequately posted:

Crystal B has just three crystal members, though. They are absolutely amazing, nevertheless. I don't think I've ever lost a game with Crystal B if I can find a decent weapon for auto ships in Sector 1.

You can find a fourth crystal to add to your boarding party with the damaged stasis pod quest.

Also, for anyone new to crystals: They take reduced damaged from a lack of oxygen, so even with a level one teleporter crystal boarders can take out systems on autoscouts and teleport back safely.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Three crystal guys is enough to completely slaughter essentially any manned ship's entire crew if you use Lockdown fastidiously. Throw a Mantis or Rock in there and you've basically got a room full of death.

And yeah, the asphyxiation resistance is great. It makes them awesome at taking down boarding drones, too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
WELL THAT WAS CLOSE

The last five minutes of that fight was swapping people in and out of my door repair while they all slowly suffocated. One guy did die :( RIP Davion, you were there from the very beginning :patriot: Also RIP Ohm and Lauren the mantis boarders who died in a horrible s. bomb autofire accident on stage 1 of the boss.

First ever win went perfectly I think.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You did that with only one level in cloak? You're a braver man than I :stare:

For context, upgrading cloak but only powering it with one bar lets you use it to dodge the power-surge attacks while also rendering it more resilient to damage, since the extra system bar(s) can soak up damage and keep it from going offline. I like to upgrade life support as well, for the same reason. The first time I reached phase 2 I died to the drone rush because a lucky shot nicked my cloak. The first time I reached phase 3 I died to the superweapon because a lucky shot nicked my cloak. Now I never fight the boss without an upgraded cloak.

Also, what did my tables ever do to you, you monster

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 25, 2013

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Finally picked this up during the Summer Sale.

I got some crystal dude out of a stasis pod and then ran into a Zoltan cruiser with 2 attack drones and 3-damage missile launcher in a plasma storm.

Poor guy didn't deserve that. Goodnight little dude :cry:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 25, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Next time that happens, try to go to a Rock Homeworld system with that guy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Man this game... I can reliably get to the end boss every time and almost always defeat him (on easy) but i only twice managed to get the crystal guy ...in the last sector both times

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hopper posted:

Man this game... I can reliably get to the end boss every time and almost always defeat him (on easy) but i only twice managed to get the crystal guy ...in the last sector both times

I played for 120 hours and didn't get the crystal ship. Just use the save file. It isn't worth it.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Just use the save file. It isn't worth it.

I promise you it is. I have never been happier about a pointless computer game unlock.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I got the crystal ship legit and it's super cool, go get it :colbert:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Goat Bastard posted:

I promise you it is. I have never been happier about a pointless computer game unlock.

It's just getting insanely lucky, where is the satisfaction in that? I gave up around 180 hours in, I'd much rather fight a super boss or something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

:toot:
First win. Boarding is so Overpowered.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
I had a beautiful run lined up for my first win. Full shields, two ion blasts, two Defense I drones, two maxed-out Mantis boarders, just about everything I could want. I saved and quit to get dinner, came back... oh, I didn't save and quit, I just quit. Why is that even an option??

Does a 2 Damage laser knock out two levels of shield at once, or just one? And does ion damage to a system that's already been ioned cause the countdown to reset, or does it add its damage to the current countdown?

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

opaopa13 posted:

I had a beautiful run lined up for my first win. Full shields, two ion blasts, two Defense I drones, two maxed-out Mantis boarders, just about everything I could want. I saved and quit to get dinner, came back... oh, I didn't save and quit, I just quit. Why is that even an option??

Does a 2 Damage laser knock out two levels of shield at once, or just one? And does ion damage to a system that's already been ioned cause the countdown to reset, or does it add its damage to the current countdown?

2 damage lasers will knock out only one level of shield, although they will do two points of damage to a zoltan super-shield.

Adding ion damage stacks one point on to the count in the middle of the subsystem icon up to a maximum of 5, but doesn't affect the position of the circular countdown. You can see it at work of you get level 3 sensors or run into an enemy with a couple of ion guns.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Goat Bastard posted:

2 damage lasers will knock out only one level of shield, although they will do two points of damage to a zoltan super-shield.

Adding ion damage stacks one point on to the count in the middle of the subsystem icon up to a maximum of 5, but doesn't affect the position of the circular countdown. You can see it at work of you get level 3 sensors or run into an enemy with a couple of ion guns.

Ah, thanks! I had noticed the 2 damage to my Zoltan shield and wondered what the point of 1x2 shot versus 2x1 shots if they did the same thing to shields and hull anyway.

Cumulative with a maximum, got it. I hadn't thought about Sensors level 3, and wasn't confident enough to identify what level of ion my enemy was using.

I ended up writing a little Python program to backup my save file now. It wouldn't have put me back at The Last Stand, but I would've had one from the start of Sector 5, at least.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Woah, I have not unlocked the crystal ship yet, but I just boarded a rock ship (playing the Mantis Ship A) and killed the crew.
I was rewarded with a "Crystal Lockdown Bomb"?!

I never knew you could get crystal weapons as loot.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

One of the recent patches made the crystal bomb obtainable in Rock sectors. Only the bomb as far as I remember. It's a great one to have in the bank if you're heavy with boarding because with an gold star gunner the weapon cools down faster than the lockdown wears off and it does no damage to crew, meaning that with enough missiles you can keep the enemy out of a room while your crew smashes it to pieces. Especially useful for clearing the main section of the boss.

Sausage of Power
Apr 17, 2007

First of all, it's Dr."I can solve your ant problem".
Make sure you stock up on missiles though because that thing goes through ammo quickly on autofire.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
YES! After 73 hours played I finally unlocked the crystal ship!
Man what a hassle

I still miss the rock ship and feel slightly burnt out...

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Should I be playing on easy to make it easier to unlock stuff? I've been doing mostly normal because I'm a masochist who enjoys being set on fire and torn to shreds by angry Mantises...

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Bellmaker posted:

Should I be playing on easy to make it easier to unlock stuff? I've been doing mostly normal because I'm a masochist who enjoys being set on fire and torn to shreds by angry Mantises...

I've unlocked everything on Normal (except the crystal ship, gently caress that thing).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ogmius815 posted:

I've unlocked everything on Normal (except the crystal ship, gently caress that thing).

Well I tried one run on Easy and holy crap there's so much scrap it's ridiculous.

Unlocked a Stealth ship and I'm going into the final area with Engi A's ion cannon, 2 reload augments, a recover drones augment, a Bio Beam, 2 anti-ship drones, and this magical death laser known as the Glaive Beam :allears:

Now lets see how I die horribly to this flagship.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Finally decided to try this game and it has completely taken over all the time I had reserved for Rogue Legacy. I just figured out that the right way to play Engi is to load up on Ion Blasters and cripple the enemy's weapons, shields and oxygen supply and just watch them suffocate. It's so much easier to loot the corpses when they're not covered in blood :toot:

Two Zoltans just barricaded themselves in the healing bay, hooked up to the life support system while the pilot is desperately gasping for air and banging impotently on the control panel trying to get the ship to do something, anything!

(I know it's not gonna do dick against the flagship but up until then I'm having fun :3:)

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 28, 2013

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Sometimes life just hates you. This was my first jump of a new game.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

sfwarlock posted:

Yep, that's ftl.jpg in a nutshell. At least you can just restart, rather than getting reamed a few hours in by some total bullshit. Oh god, why am I still playing this game/posting in this thread.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

What did the damage to it's shield?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Goat Bastard posted:

What did the damage to it's shield?

Crystal vengeances.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

Crystal vengeances.

Oh, of course. I keep forgetting about that thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Goat Bastard posted:

Oh, of course. I keep forgetting about that thing.

I don't see why, it's a free 50 scrap!

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I don't see why, it's a free 50 scrap!

Hence why I forget about it, since I never see it for like 95% of the game

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

You can still jump right?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Until the next blast from that drone melted my cockpit.

EDIT:

And on the next game, stealth B pickd up a preigniter before leaving the first sector.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 28, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Did I just get an incredibly lucky break with the DA-SR12 after a long, LONG streak of not even being able to get through Sector 1? Or is it pretty much par for the course for this ship to become the loving Death Engine once the stars align and you actually manage to save up some scrap?

:allears:

e: I'm leaning towards the former, as both the laser and the missile fell into my lap completely out of the blue. Also, do you just not get augments for this ship at all? I swooped by the stores every chance I got and there were none whatsoever.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 29, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Cloak level 3 :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Austrian mook posted:

Cloak level 3 :argh:

Is that bad for some reason? I rushed it because gently caress trying to load that loving cannon when all I have for protection is 10-25% dodge, and it's a nice buffer when my everything is on fire and angry mantises are rampaging through my med bay/oxygen generator.

• Locked thread