Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ok another question.

Now that we've cut cable we figured anything we couldn't find on July or Netflix we could just watch on the shows website online.

But lo and behold, most of the networks now have you log in to make sure you have a cable subscription! So TNT, AMC, and USA shows are all locked down.

Is there any way to get these networks? Are they broadcasted over the air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much not (in regards to over the air).

However, some cable stations allow their shows on digital redistribution services (Hulu Plus, iTunes, Amazon Prime) so you should make a list of your favorite shows and see where you can find them online (https://www.fan.tv or their fan app work wonders for finding which streaming service offers your particular show, if any)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lowness 72 posted:

Ok another question.

Now that we've cut cable we figured anything we couldn't find on July or Netflix we could just watch on the shows website online.

But lo and behold, most of the networks now have you log in to make sure you have a cable subscription! So TNT, AMC, and USA shows are all locked down.

Is there any way to get these networks? Are they broadcasted over the air?

Does anyone in your family have cable use their info.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 24, 2013

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Don Lapre posted:

Does anyone in your family have cablr . use their info.

Can you get away with this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Medikit posted:

I used to use my parent's Dish info (back when Dish was accepted, now its not-so-much).

Anecdotally, I know several households that share an HBOGo account.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Medikit posted:

Yes. There is no location or IP verification.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Medikit posted:

I know that Time Warner has some sort of account sharing option where you can allow someone else to make a Time Warner account to access stuff like streaming apps. My parents have TWC and I live out of market for sports teams and don't have cable, so they sent me one of those invitations and I was able to log in to the WatchESPN app to watch the local games with my TWC ID it allowed me to create. I can also log in to the TWC TV app to watch their streaming away from home selection, but it's really limited. I have no idea if this account sharing is supposed to be for family and/or household members only.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I used my parents cable subscription to watch the Olympics (handball woo!) and the March madness tournament.

As long as it does not require you to have a certain modem (time warner's channel on Roku requires a time Warner modem), then you should be fine.

Edit: I was wondering. You mentioned Netflix and July as options to watch shows. What is July?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 24, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: I was wondering. You mentioned Netflix and July as options to watch shows. What is July?
I think it was an autocorrect of Hulu.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Don't worry about it, it is only available for another seven days and the background check to join takes longer than that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/from-tvs-to-tablets-everything-you-love.html

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

So this thing looks kind of neat, especially for $35.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

TheEye posted:

will this provide what I'm looking for?

I just bought one of these because of this thread and I have to say I'm impressed. I pick up about 25 channels, (18 of which are religious) but I just scotch taped it to the wall to test it out, I haven't mounted it yet. All the major networks come in crystal clear. I had one channel with some slight scrambling but I just rotated the antenna to see if orienting it fixes things and it does. It appears that if you mount it perpendicular to the direction of the signal it picks up better, so on the wall facing the ESB in your case.

I called Comcast today to tell them I'm ditching cable and they tried to tell me that Netflix "just lost a bunch of content" including starz, so I'll regret it. I chuckled and told him I know he has a job to do but I know what I want and I'm happy with Netflix/web for entertainment. The last time I turned my TV on to regular cable was the super bowl. I also bought my own drat cable modem for internet. I've been a customer of theirs since 2003, when the modem rental fee was $3 a month. I don't know when it went up to $7, but a new cable modem will pay for itself in under a year. The basic cable service has crept up from $13 to $23 per month over that time, with a reduction in channels, so gently caress that noise.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...can you browse the web on this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

...can you browse the web on this?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#chrome

This shows it mirroring a Chrome browser window from a laptop.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I placed an order with Amazon (which is currently listed as shipping "who the hell knows"), just because it includes 3 months of Netflix which I would have been paying $24 for anyway. I'm still going to keep a dedicated box in the living room for streaming, but this will be great for all the times I pull up Netflix on my PC and end up watching a whole episode of some TV show on my computer monitor instead of the TV just a few feet over because I don't want to boot up my PS3 and browse to the same video.

I suppose a second HDMI cable to my TV would accomplish the same thing, but hey! :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here is an amazon review that gives a pretty good description of what it actually does:

quote:

So I came on Amazon to just do some shopping, and I couldn't help but notice how the Google Chromecast somehow has reviews already. I'm sorry, but no consumer has this in their hands yet (until 1-2 more days). I want to provide an honest review with an actual understanding of what and how the product works having had it for a couple weeks, without violating my NDA.

Look - you can give your "Review" once you have in your hands. Make assumptions based off an uneducated guess or incorrect information just looks stupid, I'm sorry.

What it Is:
It's a HDMI dongle that is powered by Chrome OS that is designed for Streaming.

How it Works:
You have to connect to the same Wi-Fi network for it to work. Once it's setup you'll see the Chromecast logo and a basic Home Screen with some of the first apps available for Chromecast. A lot of development is going into it, so expect to see more apps from the Google Play store work with your TV. See your phone/tablet/computer more of a remote, rather than an actual streaming device.

I only tested on the iOS side (I don't have a Droid) and I can tell you that it works very well. It is NOT like Apple's AirPlay where your screen is mirrored, but rather uses "the Cloud" to access your content. It works smoother than AirPlay because it doesn't require buffering from your device, but rather directly to the TV. The only "syncing" that occurs is the Cloud communicating to the Chromecast where you're at. For example: I'm watching a Netflix movie and I'm at 1:06:17. I hit the Square button with the wi-fi looking icon called "Cast" and it syncs it to my Chromecast. This is only different for web-browsing through the currently Beta Chrome Tab Cast, where it'll show exactly what you're looking on Chrome, onto your TV. It's less functional than straight up mirroring like the Apple TV, but it works. You can't switch between apps and have that show on the screen. This is particularly useful in web-based presentations or while you check your email and your friends are watching Netflix.

Battery Drain on Mobile Devices:
Because of the way Chromecast works, it's streaming information from the Cloud vs. from your device. I noticed very little increase in the usage of battery on my iPhone 5 and my Macbook Air running Mountain Lion OSX.

Support for Streaming Services:
Right now, Streaming Service support is limited. Netflix, Google Services (Google Play, YouTube) and Web-based Streaming is allowed. I had issues trying to load Hulu the past couple days, telling me that my browser was unsupported, but I'll update once I get a chance.

Power Adapter:
The power adapter is an optional requirement. In fact, most modern TV's with HDMI 1.4 or higher spec are supported. The Chromecast can draw power from the HDMI port it's plugged into. If your TV doesn't support that, there's also a USB cable and power adapter included in the box. I have a 2012 LG LED and a 2013 Lenovo 27" Monitor with HDMI input and the ports power it with no cable.

All in all, I feel like it's still a huge work in progress. The SDK will allow for some exciting developments, and I'm happy to say that Google has committed to support this device for quite some time. It gives me piece of mind that this won't become out of date each year.

That being said, it's only $35. What a steal for a device that really brings value to any TV.

Sounds like the biggest "gotcha" may be the if your TV is more than a year or two old then it could require the USB dongle to also be plugged into a power supply to work.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 24, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

withak posted:

Sounds like the biggest "gotcha" may be the if your TV is more than a year or two old then it could require the USB dongle to also be plugged into a power supply to work.
Though even lots of older TVs have USB ports on them that probably aren't being used. I wonder if that would supply enough power?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wa27 posted:

Though even lots of older TVs have USB ports on them that probably aren't being used. I wonder if that would supply enough power?

I ran a rasberry pi off the usb port on a 5 year old Samsung DLP. I expect the CC won't need any more power than that.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Does Chromecast deserve it's own megathread? Mine shipped!

Is there any existing community on hacking these things? I was completely oblivious before yesterday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crm posted:

Does Chromecast deserve it's own megathread? Mine shipped!

Is there any existing community on hacking these things? I was completely oblivious before yesterday.

I thought they wern't shipping until August, gonna have to order one if they're already going out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

withak posted:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#chrome

This shows it mirroring a Chrome browser window from a laptop.
If this is the case, then this is pretty awesome. I'm going to wager that they have some sort of block on streaming stuff like Amazon Prime somehow though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

crm posted:

I think the device was mostly hidden behind developer NDAs until yesterday.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Rhyno posted:

I thought they wern't shipping until August, gonna have to order one if they're already going out.

I think places just ran out of stock really fast.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Best buy has them in stores.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don Lapre posted:

Best buy has them in stores.

Huh, might make a BB run at lunch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

crm posted:

It was just announced yesterday so no.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Very annoying ChromeCast only supports 2.4Ghz. My 2.4 Ghz wireless spectrum is crowded as gently caress and drops all the time on my Nexus7.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

It was just announced yesterday so no.

It already has an SDK though so support for apps/services other than Netflix is probably incoming.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ends-chromecast-netflix-promotion-20130725,0,483513.story

It appears that someone underestimated the demand for this. :lol:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where's the nerd outrage over this?

edit: v I actually didn't know about the Netflix promotion when I heard about the device on NPR yesterday and thought $35 was very reasonable - I just expected a foaming-mouth overreaction.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 25, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Josh Lyman posted:

Where's the nerd outrage over this?

It's honestly not that big of a deal because it's still a $35 device.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I wonder when they will officially cut off the promo since they never mentioned limited quantities before (I could be wrong).

Do they stop it with the next shipment or any orders after the announcement? If you bought one earlier today, would you still be eligible?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

It's honestly not that big of a deal because it's still a $35 device.

Also a significant number of people ordering one of these right away probably already pay for Netflix.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Reports are coming in that Comcast shut down ClearQAM locals for at least the Northeast Region today.

Wish I was an antenna OTA salesman today.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mighty Horse posted:

Reports are coming in that Comcast shut down ClearQAM locals for at least the Northeast Region today.

Wish I was an antenna OTA salesman today.

That's cute, you think a lot of people know or care enough about this to do something about it. :v:

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
I haven't checked because I don't use the bedroom TV much, but I got a notice for Sept 17 here so it's coming sooner or later.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Medikit posted:

I share an amazon, netflix streaming and hbo go account a bunch of ways.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Still got my ClearQAM signal in the midwest.

No notice either. Where is that coming from?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

That's cute, you think a lot of people know or care enough about this to do something about it. :v:

Well I know a lot of "cord cutters" just get cable internet and split off the cable lines for free ClearQam.

Thwomp posted:

Still got my ClearQAM signal in the midwest.

No notice either. Where is that coming from?

Few posts on local forums. Seem to confirm what I and a few friends with HDHomeruns have found.

It's coming for the rest of you, eventually everywhere. The rules were changed for them to be allowed to do this by the FCC last year. I doubt they will send out ANY letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you subscribe to basic cable you will get a letter offering you a discounted or free DTA.