Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

teagone posted:

A friend of mine had asked me to wipe their Gateway LT4004u netbook (Intel Atom 2600/GMA 3600 graphics) and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Starter Edition. Considering the anemic specs the netbook has, I'm debating if installing Ubuntu 12.04 on it would offer better performance. She just uses it for basic web-browsing, but I've been reading that there have been issues with getting video playback to work with GMA3600, but those posts/threads were a couple months/a year or so old. Would that have been fixed by now with a driver update?

These days I don't think Linux is dramatically faster, if at all, than Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bob Morales posted:

These days I don't think Linux is dramatically faster, if at all, than Windows.

Yeah, I noticed that after the install, heh. She's up for new things, which is good since I like messing around with stuff, so I'm going to see if I can get the vanilla Chromium OS build running and see if that makes any difference.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Atom's are slow at multi-processing, thus typically Firefox should perform better than Chrome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MrMoo posted:

Atom's are slow at multi-processing, thus typically Firefox should perform better than Chrome.

I've been throwing a whole bunch of random OS's onto this thing little netbook all day today at work. So far, Lubuntu 13.04 seems to perform the best of the bunch; everything works great so far, except Quicktime playback for some reason. Tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which ran ok, but the suspend function made the display driver crash causing the display to go wonky after resuming and I could not find a fix. Windows 7 Starter/Home Premium fresh install still ran like poo poo, Joli OS was by far the worse (holy poo poo did that run like a slow-dragging resource hogging asshat), Chromium OS (failed to get past the welcome screen, heh). I'm going to see if installing Ubuntu 13.04 i386 makes a difference with the suspend, because I think my friend would enjoy the Unity 2D UI more than LXDE.

[edit] Didn't realize Unity 2D isn't available in 13.04. Oh well! Lubuntu it is :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 23, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What's the chance of Ubuntu Edge actually hitting it's funding goal? Pretty good start though, only 30 million more to go!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLe3iIMN7k

Pretty neat idea though don't really see myself running my desktop off my phone.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Harminoff posted:

What's the chance of Ubuntu Edge actually hitting it's funding goal? Pretty good start though, only 30 million more to go!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLe3iIMN7k

Pretty neat idea though don't really see myself running my desktop off my phone.

Canonical really does know where the market is going and currently appear on the surface to be leagues ahead of the competition, I fully expect the Windows 8 Metro nonsense to be a prelude to this type of convergence technology but Microsoft has no idea how to reconcile the old established Windows users with the Metro future effectively. The desktop PC is going to disappear aside from niche gamer things. Grandma's old PC will either be replaced by a tablet or phone like this. For the common person a Desktop does have a lot of extraneous applications and capable that aren't really needed for a person who just checks their bank statements and works in excel or word. Their problem will be capturing the market and converting people to Linux. That is the major hurdle, even established groups like Microsoft are having a brutal time penetrating in on Android and Apple's dominance.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Canonical really does know where the market is going and currently appear on the surface to be leagues ahead of the competition, I fully expect the Windows 8 Metro nonsense to be a prelude to this type of convergence technology but Microsoft has no idea how to reconcile the old established Windows users with the Metro future effectively. The desktop PC is going to disappear aside from niche gamer things. Grandma's old PC will either be replaced by a tablet or phone like this. For the common person a Desktop does have a lot of extraneous applications and capable that aren't really needed for a person who just checks their bank statements and works in excel or word. Their problem will be capturing the market and converting people to Linux. That is the major hurdle, even established groups like Microsoft are having a brutal time penetrating in on Android and Apple's dominance.

I'd love to see this concept take off, but $830 is just too much for such a device. I understand they're selling this as a ultra premium device, but the cost will have to match mainstream phone costs for it to catch on. I hope this works out for Canonical, as it should lead to reduced costs for the next generation of convergence devices they're pushing. Honestly I'd expect Google to pull it off better than Canonical, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
I decided to give Ubuntu a try after a six-year hiatus, and I'm already starting to regret the decision. My problem, specifically, is that installs and updates either freeze or take a shameful amount of time to complete considering the power of my system and that Ubuntu is running off a SSD. Last night the update manager started to hang while configuring the kernel and it was still there when I woke up this morning. Typically, any action involving the software center or update manager will move at a glacial pace and stay in the same state for a great amount of time before eventually responding or forcing me to enter the system monitor and kill it.

Is this normal, or is there anything I'm missing that might improve the performance in this respect?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

french lies posted:

I decided to give Ubuntu a try after a six-year hiatus, and I'm already starting to regret the decision. My problem, specifically, is that installs and updates either freeze or take a shameful amount of time to complete considering the power of my system and that Ubuntu is running off a SSD. Last night the update manager started to hang while configuring the kernel and it was still there when I woke up this morning. Typically, any action involving the software center or update manager will move at a glacial pace and stay in the same state for a great amount of time before eventually responding or forcing me to enter the system monitor and kill it.

Is this normal, or is there anything I'm missing that might improve the performance in this respect?

Updates run really fast for me, even in a VM. Like a minute or three.

The only time it takes longer than that is the first big load of updates when you do a fresh install, or haven't ran updates in like 5 months. Your download speed is the biggest factor in that case.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

french lies posted:

Something is broken on your system and it's not Ubuntu itself. You may have a hardware driver that the installer can't handle properly, or any number of things that can cause problems.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Okay, I'm glad to hear that. Is there any foolproof way to troubleshoot which part of the system is causing the problem?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What hardware? What SSD?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

french lies posted:

Okay, I'm glad to hear that. Is there any foolproof way to troubleshoot which part of the system is causing the problem?

Try doing it through the terminal instead of their update manager. Ctrl + Alt + T and type in "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" then your current accounts password. Try getting past the first hurdle without any graphical elements then see if you encounter it again on the next batch of updates which would be small.

If it is sluggish and poo poo in the terminal I would bet that it was the SSD's write capability either failing or the driver is borked for it.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What hardware? What SSD?
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU, 10m cache, 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Memory; Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 32GB
SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB 2.5"

It also has a 500GB drive from Western Digital sitting in the machine from a previous computer. The machine is hooked up to a fiber-optic connection with a max of 100 Mbps Up/Down via a D-Link USB (a stupid setup, I know).

After typing in "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade", the machine spent around six minutes completing the (relatively few) installs. Installing Deluge via the terminal took around a minute or so. Are these times normal?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

french lies posted:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU, 10m cache, 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Memory; Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 32GB
SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 240GB 2.5"

It also has a 500GB drive from Western Digital sitting in the machine from a previous computer. The machine is hooked up to a fiber-optic connection with a max of 100 Mbps Up/Down via a D-Link USB (a stupid setup, I know).

After typing in "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade", the machine spent around six minutes completing the (relatively few) installs. Installing Deluge via the terminal took around a minute or so. Are these times normal?

Not normal.

Try pulling up 'iotop' before starting the install/upgrade, and see what kind of stats you're getting.

e: For comparison, installing deluge plus dependencies (total 24 packages, 44MB) on an old c2duo system with a HDD took less than a minute.

e2: I just realized I assumed the one minute it took for you was excluding download time, but if the time was INCLUDING the time it took to download the files, then it may be completely normal depending on your internet speed.

kujeger fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 26, 2013

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

syzygy86 posted:

I'd love to see this concept take off, but $830 is just too much for such a device. I understand they're selling this as a ultra premium device, but the cost will have to match mainstream phone costs for it to catch on. I hope this works out for Canonical, as it should lead to reduced costs for the next generation of convergence devices they're pushing. Honestly I'd expect Google to pull it off better than Canonical, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Well, it's probably old news, but they've added new tiers for people who can't afford $830. Personally, I think the edge is loving awesome, and if I had the ~$700 I'd throw down for one, and peripheral equipment too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I've been throwing a whole bunch of random OS's onto this thing little netbook all day today at work. So far, Lubuntu 13.04 seems to perform the best of the bunch; everything works great so far, except Quicktime playback for some reason. Tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which ran ok, but the suspend function made the display driver crash causing the display to go wonky after resuming and I could not find a fix. Windows 7 Starter/Home Premium fresh install still ran like poo poo, Joli OS was by far the worse (holy poo poo did that run like a slow-dragging resource hogging asshat), Chromium OS (failed to get past the welcome screen, heh). I'm going to see if installing Ubuntu 13.04 i386 makes a difference with the suspend, because I think my friend would enjoy the Unity 2D UI more than LXDE.

[edit] Didn't realize Unity 2D isn't available in 13.04. Oh well! Lubuntu it is :)

If you're trying to squeeze the most out of old hardware, Lubuntu is definitely the way to go for a combo of 'light'ness and non-supernerd usability. I brought my old desktop from college (that's late 90s) up to work and put a variety of Linux flavors on it just for fun. Lubuntu, 11.04 at that time, was by far the most responsive. Video files that came up like slideshows on Fedora or Ubuntu played smoothly in Lubuntu.

Also, if this thing just needs to run a web browser check out Epiphany, or even Opera. I've had better luck running both of those on dated hardware then Firefox or Chrome.

\/\/\/ I still haven't used it too much myself. It runs well on my ancient business class laptop that still chokes on XP, but whenever I try to load up a big page with a bunch of images it crashes, that's why I gave Opera a try which so far has been stable and almost as fast.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 28, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How come empathy has a mail icon even though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with email? :confused:

Can I get it to check gmail and popup with new emails? I can't even find a settings menu anywhere.

(I also can't find the settings for the sidebar thing)

e: also I can't set empathy to 'invisible'? It switches straight back to 'busy'. Sorry, annoying questions.

fuf fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 28, 2013

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

fuf posted:

How come empathy has a mail icon even though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with email? :confused:

Can I get it to check gmail and popup with new emails? I can't even find a settings menu anywhere.

The mail icon isn't only for mails, it's called "messaging menu" and should serve as a go-to point for all messaging/social interaction. That's why empathy uses it.

On Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangoling LTS), you can install the "gm-notify" package, which integrates gmail into the messaging menu.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Some of us also disable the messaging menu entries for email and only use it for IM :)

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
On 13.10. Can't seem to get Netflix working on here. :/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

numbs posted:

Netflix uses Silverlight which isn't Linux compatible.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I've heard of some people running it through WINE, but it seems like a huge PITA

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

Netflix uses Silverlight which isn't Linux compatible.

With Chrome and a DRM plugin its supposed to run on HTML5, I guess it is TBD on vanilla Linux:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/html5-video-at-netflix.html

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

numbs posted:

Do you mean Netflix in the browser, or the netflix-desktop package? As far as I know it just won't run in the browser because of silverlight, but you should be able to find the desktop app package without much difficulty. (I know it works on 13.04.)

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
This worked fine for me awhile ago: http://www.compholio.com/netflix-desktop/

I think it basically is a customized install of Firefox through Wine with some sort of patched silverlight.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

So, back in 2007 or so, I filed this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-chess/+bug/138570

Basically back then we were shipping chess as an included game on a default Ubuntu system, but the easiest difficulty settings was quite hard even for me. We needed something a small chess novice of a child could conceivably beat. So I filed the bug.

Today it was fixed by upstream (the Gnome devs), and it should work its way into the Ubuntu packaging soon, although it's not part of the default install anymore.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

aarstar posted:

This worked fine for me awhile ago: http://www.compholio.com/netflix-desktop/

I think it basically is a customized install of Firefox through Wine with some sort of patched silverlight.

That's right. It works pretty well though, I haven't ever had a problem with it.

cleveland steamer
Dec 2, 2008
anyone know if skygo could run using the netflix method?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend a book for learning 12.04 server?

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

EconOutlines posted:

The easiest way to learn is to setup a virtualbox, install Ubuntu in there and go crazy with installing and configuring what you need. The documentation available is really plenty, for every installed package there should be a corresponding /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGE directory with it's documentation.

As for books, I heard good stuff about the Debian Administrators Handbook (Ubuntu is derived from Debian, the underlying technology, especially for servers, is pretty much the same), http://debian-handbook.info/.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

EconOutlines posted:

The official Ubuntu book is pretty reasonable. There's a server and desktop one.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I've been thinking of buying a cheap netbook and dedicating it to Ubuntu. Should I be able to install it in any random netbook, or are there usually problem with those? I ask because I've already had trouble installing Ubuntu on my desktop PC (which is probably not Ubuntu's fault and would be fixed with a complete formatting, but :effort:).

EDIT: Or notebook/ultrabook, as netbooks seem to be going extinct.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 20, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Markovnikov posted:

I've been thinking of buying a cheap netbook and dedicating it to Ubuntu. Should I be able to install it in any random netbook, or are there usually problem with those? I ask because I've already had trouble installing Ubuntu on my desktop PC (which is probably not Ubuntu's fault and would be fixed with a complete formatting, but :effort:).

EDIT: Or notebook/ultrabook, as netbooks seem to be going extinct.
From the Netbook Thread:

Hadlock posted:

In case you missed it yesterday, Acer has their C7 chromebooks (refurbished) for $130

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-11-6-Chromebook-2GB-320GB-Chrome-OS-C710-2847/251317512262?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a83b0e846

This is pretty much the best deal on the internet currently, durability be damned (actually the durability is pretty good) and there's a wide selection of tutorials getting Windows and Ubuntu running on these things if you don't like Chrome so much.

If you have more questions you can probably get them answered over in that thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Many thanks for passing that along. They've jacked up the price to 170 but that's still cheap enough that I just picked one up to play around with. :cool:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there some sort of GUI app for viewing system and CPU temps? Like HWInfo for Windows?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Is there some sort of GUI app for viewing system and CPU temps? Like HWInfo for Windows?

Conky!

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Xenomorph posted:

Psensor is pretty neat and integrates nicely into the systray.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm running 12.04 on a Dell Studio 1747 and whenever I use the backlit keyboard light button, the illumination works but then the keyboard stops responding.

Where do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Crayvex posted:

I'm running 12.04 on a Dell Studio 1747 and whenever I use the backlit keyboard light button, the illumination works but then the keyboard stops responding.

Where do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

Do you have a second computer connected to the same network? If yes, connect via ssh, reproduce the error and examine the usual suspects, like /var/log/syslog, dmesg and /var/log/udev.

I'd start by starting "sudo udevadm monitor -e" on the ssh console, then pressing the backlight button. That basically dumps all udev events that are happening.

• Locked thread