Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Lord Bude posted:

Besides, this is Goons with Chickencheese. Not Goons in Spelling bees.

Sorry if you got confused.

I laughed way too hard at this.

For content, tonight, the girlfriend found an interesting... coating? glaze? I dunno, but it was tasty, for fish fillets. I'm at work, and don't have the recipe handy, but I know it had butter, mayo, grated parmesan cheese, chopped dill, lemon juice, and pepper. I'll update with actual amounts tomorrow.

Anyway, all you did was slather the fillets with this and broil till it browned. It tasted amazing on swai fillets, which we got for, iirc, $5 for a bag of individually frozen fillets. Given the swai is almost twice the size of tilapia fillets, and it's not as fishy tasting either, it's a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

neogeo0823 posted:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be doing shows all week who am I kidding, I'll be here till the dying breath of the internet.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

For content, tonight, the girlfriend found an interesting... coating? glaze? I dunno, but it was tasty, for fish fillets. I'm at work, and don't have the recipe handy, but I know it had butter, mayo, grated parmesan cheese, chopped dill, lemon juice, and pepper. I'll update with actual amounts tomorrow.

Anyway, all you did was slather the fillets with this and broil till it browned. It tasted amazing on swai fillets, which we got for, iirc, $5 for a bag of individually frozen fillets. Given the swai is almost twice the size of tilapia fillets, and it's not as fishy tasting either, it's a great deal.

This sounds like it would be tasty if the mayo were removed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to update this thread with the actual numbers. Sorry about that.

For 2 fish fillets
1/8th cup parmesan cheese
1/8th cup butter
3/4 tbsp mayo
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp dill
pepper to taste

mix everything together, brush onto one side of fillets. Broil until browned, flip, brush the other side, repeat.

We had just a bit more than we needed for the 2 fillets. In hindsight, I'd probably reduce the mayo to maybe 1/2 tbsp. I think it was there to keep the consistency right, and to stop everything else from just running off the fish. I'd also add a bit extra dill, but that's mostly because I like dill.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I think if I wanted something with a similar consistency, I'd use a weak mustard (champagne + tarragon maybe).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mulefisk posted:

I though that carrot, along with celery was one one of the staples of a traditional bolognese sauce.

Yeah, and that's clearly what the sugar is meant to replace, the natural sweetness of carrot.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Was excited to go to the farmers market today as I like to go and stock up on veggies in the summer. Prices were pretty crazy though. $4 for a pound of green beans compared to the $2 it was last year. Hopefully it's just because it's the beginning of the season but the grocery store sells a pound of frozen for $1 on special pretty often.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
I saw this blog in the Guardian today, and it looks like it has some good recipes.

Below the Line Budget Recipes.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

langurmonkey posted:

I saw this blog in the Guardian today, and it looks like it has some good recipes.
I was reading this yesterday and (aside from the creamy salmon pasta using fish paste yuk) I was really impressed. Most of the recipes are veggie as she couldn't afford meat. I'd love to know where she gets the bag of 20 vegetables for a pound.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Beep Street posted:

I was reading this yesterday and (aside from the creamy salmon pasta using fish paste yuk) I was really impressed. Most of the recipes are veggie as she couldn't afford meat. I'd love to know where she gets the bag of 20 vegetables for a pound.

Perhaps somewhere like Lidl or Aldi? I got a big bag of parsnips from there once for about 30p.

KoB
May 1, 2009

langurmonkey posted:

Wow thanks for this.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So I'm making this mustard glazed chicken thigh recipe in my new apartment and it called for coconut oil, mustard, spices, etc, at 425 for like 45 minutes.

About 15 minutes in, our oven started just venting insane amounts of smoke. Apparently there's a hole in the eye above the oven straight in that is venting the smoke. So now my apartment is smokey as all hell. Is that normal? How can I prevent this? Our apartment is now venting furiously but if anything in the oven produces smoke it's just gonna vent straight into the house?

Also, got two 5 pound chickens for dirt cheap, so I want to roast those at some point. But if it's gonna do this...might be an issue.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is your oven filthy?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
That's possible, but my wife made teriyaki chicken in it the other day and it didn't have the smokey problem. Looking in there now it's not great looking though. Perhaps the coconut oil splashed over?

nicky_glasses
Jun 20, 2011

Toyland Social Club

My Little Puni posted:

Also, I'm not vegetarian. I like meat, if me and my boyfriend don't eat it, we don't get full, and that is usually where most of the expense comes from.

Look for foods that are high in fiber (100% whole grain pastas, garbonzo/chickpeas, etc). Consuming a high fiber diet not only makes the trips to the toilet better, but that is what really fills you up.

You don't need to consume 1 lb. of dead animal with every meal. You can do something like a brown rice bowl with black beans, sauteed onion/pepper, spices, and tiny amounts of skirt steak/fajita chicken/ground beef, etc, but don't have to LOAD up on the meat, like everyone is programmed to do like in the fast food places.

Before I went vegetarian I thought I'd have to consume a ton of meat, fact is, meat has little fiber to it and the funny thing is, I started to feel extremely full and satisfied when I kept cutting back on meat (then eventually to none) when I got tired of putting up with protein overload/food coma every single meal.

nicky_glasses
Jun 20, 2011

Toyland Social Club
I did a search and didn't see the results, but have you checked this out?

http://greatdepressioncooking.com/

Some videos are on youtube. 94 year old Clara is just adorable, she shows you what they cooked and lived off of during the great depression. Should be some good insight there.

edit: I guess she's 96 years old now. Also, here is the youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

nicky_glasses posted:

Look for foods that are high in fiber (100% whole grain pastas, garbonzo/chickpeas, etc).

Total nutrition scrub here. What are some other easy to get foods that are good for fiber?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Total nutrition scrub here. What are some other easy to get foods that are good for fiber?

Go take a look at the vegan food thread for examples of things that will make you feel very full that don't have tons of super expensive meat in them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unzip and Attack posted:

Cruciferous vegetables are a good source and you can do a lot with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables

Makob
Aug 5, 2013
I'm not sure what grocery stores you live near but here in Wilmington, NC I've found a couple places that have some great deals on meats. I was able to obtain a nice sirloin steak for $3.99/lb, got a half pound steak for around $2 with a 49 cent potato, took it home and pan fried the steak with some olive oil, garlic, thyme and butter. Twice baked the potato and had what felt like a fancy steakhouse meal for less than a double quarter pounder would have cost me at mcdonald's.

nicky_glasses
Jun 20, 2011

Toyland Social Club

Unzip and Attack posted:

Check this out: http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/High_Fiber_Food_Chart.shtml

thugkitchen.com has some pretty damned good, cheap recipes that utilize a lot of ingredients on those charts.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dohaeris posted:

That's possible, but my wife made teriyaki chicken in it the other day and it didn't have the smokey problem. Looking in there now it's not great looking though. Perhaps the coconut oil splashed over?
Was the oil Virgin or Extra Virgin? It would smoke at a lower temp if it was.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Pork is the cheapest meat, and you can make decent stuff with only ~half pound in a meal (for 2 people).

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Pork is wonderful, and I do a lot of generic asian styled pork and broccoli/bok choi/random veggie for cheap. I also do a lot of crockpot pulled pork shoulder which can get boring if you're always doing bbq, so look up some alternates too, I just did a kind of Cuban (I think) rub and have been eating pork tacos and sandwiches with it.

Also, just to rehash, Asian markets and other ethnic markets are in general a wonderful place to get cheap ingredients. A huge bag of fresh baby bok choi is like $2, where my local Price Chopper, Hannafords, and Shop Rite sell like 2 or 3 rubber banded together for $4.
You can get good fish sauce, sriracha, oyster sauce, garlic chili sauce, and a variety of soy sauces for like $2 a bottle each and they are pretty big bottles. I have yet to find an Indian Market, but I guess that's the place to pick up spices too.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This belongs in the "poor" thread as much as the brewing thread, I reckon.

One recipe I've been messing with as of late (along with making cherry booze, currant booze, prune booze, etc. in mason jars on my kitchen coutner) is the cheapest and easiest form of hard cider. There are a bunch of recipes online, and though I can't find the original inspiration at the moment, I found one geared for the laziest of goons. One dude who had spent some time in booze-free countries of the Gulf States posted a pretty straightforward recipe:

- Buy apple juice, about 2L, ensuring that the brand you buy does not have sorbates as preservative. I use Mott's apple juice.
- Get a teaspoon full of yeast. Baking yeast if you that's all you have, otherwise champagne yeast or turbo yeast off eBay for around a buck a pack (which has many teaspoons in it).
- To avoid having to buy carboys and sterilise poo poo, just prepare your teaspoons of yeast, and open the cap of the hermetically sealed apple juice just for a microsecond to dump the yeast in there.
- Do not stir, just dump it on top, and instantly put the cap back on and screw on just a little bit. You want to keep unsterilised air and accompanying microbes off it, but want some looseness so it can vent C02 without exploding.
- After a day or so, it'll go cloudy. Another day, and if you look very close you'll see a non-stop flow of little bubbles racing to the top. Let it go 4-5 days and then put it in the fridge to slow/kill the yeast, who will form a layer of sediment at the bottom.
- Once it settles down, screw the cap all the way down, and now you can drink it. It won't have sparkle to it, so do what the Spanish do, and have your serving for the evening in a bottle/pitcher/whatever, and for each swig pour the vessel from a 1-3 feet of height into a wide glass, and chug it while it's still frothy from the fall.

It's reasonably tasty stuff, and as cheap as just apple juice, so overall worth giving a shot. I left mine to bubble for a while so it turned out rather dry but pretty strong. Some people add sugar to it before adding yeast so they can make it even sweeter and/or stronger. Yeast is cheap, and apple juice is cheap, so you can't go too wrong.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'm just gonna point out that airlocks are like, $1, you can use diluted bleach to sanitize, and if you use basically any brewers yeast instead of bakers yeast you'll have a much better product. Also, you can buy a "homer bucket" from Home Depot and drill a hole in the too for the airlock for an additional $4. With an airlock you can actually let it ferment all the way out and have a still cider, or get a $10 capper from eBay and bottle your cider with a bit of sugar to get carbonated cider. Use empty bottles you already have or from your friends.

It's like $15 for the reusable components to increase your production and also to have cider that isn't basically prison hooch.

Oh, and one last thing, potassium sorbate prevents yeast from budding, not fermenting, so if its all you can get, just use an extra package of yeast. I had to use cider that had sorbate once and it wasn't a problem in the long run.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Don't forget an airlock made from a balloon with a pin hole. Bonus points for leopard print :colbert:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Also, you can buy a "homer bucket" from Home Depot and drill a hole in the too for the airlock for an additional $4.

Don't do this. The Homer buckets are NOT food grade and I would not trust them at all.

Honestly a bucket from a HBS is what, $10 with a lid? Just do it if you give even the slightest poo poo about what you're doing.

Of course I've never gotten that recipe he's posted to be anything but absolutely undrinkable, so hey

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
If you learn what time of day your local shops start to put out the discount meat, it becomes viable to swoop in and grab whatever looks good for your supper.

I make a lot of curry this way; the strips of beef meant for grilling take well to the long simmering required. I don't eat pork either and that seems to make up a lot of what they have to discount. The coconut milk is the most expensive ingredient in my meat curries.

Curry curry curry

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bomrek posted:

If you learn what time of day your local shops start to put out the discount meat, it becomes viable to swoop in and grab whatever looks good for your supper.
I typically don't eat until 8pm or even later, so for an entire summer I ate steak almost every night, at least 25% but sometimes 50% off normal price, because I went to the nearest grocery store at 7:30pm, when the guys were shutting down the meat counter.

It wasn't always ribeye, and the nice thing about that was that I tried some alternate cuts that I never would have otherwise.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bomrek posted:

My wife and I do this, but buy a bunch. A few whole chickens for less than a dollar a pound get parted and frozen while the carcasses go in the crockpot overnight to stock-ify with a few veggies. Sausage gets frozen whole/removed from casings and frozen. Leg quarters at the end of big camping weekends for half-price get parted and some of the thighs de-boned. Beef gets prepped for whatever it will most likely turn into and frozen. Use what we have on hand until the next great deal pops up.

Getting friendly with the butcher helps, as well. "Oh, you want to make braised shortribs? We'll have to cut a bunch to be worthwhile, but no one buys them, so have them all and I will tag the package at half-weight." "Here's the pig for your next roast, come in back and I will give you a mixed sixer of micro-brews from partial packs to drink while it cooks."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What Butch said. Talk to your butcher. Also, try different stores. The upscale grocery store here actually has the least capable butcher. They've been laying off high tenure butchers who actually cut meat in favor of centralized butchering with the in store guys just packaging really. Even better if you speak Spanish or Chinese. Mexican supermarkets have super helpful if you chat em up in Spanish. Likewise, Asian markets have great seafood.

Another frugal thing I did is to keep track of how much things cost in general. I did it all in spreadsheet style at first, but now I have a general feel for the prices of things that I can sort of guesstimate whether something is a good deal or not.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm jealous of people with local butchers that are actually of a good quality. I can choose between the typical high-end grocery chain fare where I know for a fact I'm getting a good quality product, but I am also paying out the rear end for it and they are limited in what they can do for me. Or going to a local meat/butcher place where any actual information about the meat is basically non-extant and the base quality is incredibly variable.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Also, anything wholegrain, and any vegetables you eat with the skin on.

Do not peel potatoes. The skin is full of fiber and tastes awesome. If you do peel it, you can fry up the skins in butter or oil for an awesome snack with just a little salt and pepper. Or add garlic. Or those bacon ends/'cooking bacon' you'll sometimes get in uk supermarkets for like 79p, I dunno if you get those in the states. Potato skins rock.

Do they sell oxtail in the states?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

loki k zen posted:

Do they sell oxtail in the states?

Yes. It's about $5/lb. Lowest I've seen where I am is $3/lb.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

loki k zen posted:

Do not peel potatoes. The skin is full of fiber and tastes awesome. If you do peel it, you can fry up the skins in butter or oil for an awesome snack with just a little salt and pepper. Or add garlic. Or those bacon ends/'cooking bacon' you'll sometimes get in uk supermarkets for like 79p, I dunno if you get those in the states. Potato skins rock.

Yes, unpeeled potatoes are awesome. I personally love them most as oven baked potatoes. Just use garlic infused oil to coat the potatoes and season them with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary before wrapping them in tin foil. This way the potato skin is the most delicious part of the meal.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yes, unpeeled potatoes are awesome. I personally love them most as oven baked potatoes. Just use garlic infused oil to coat the potatoes and season them with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary before wrapping them in tin foil. This way the potato skin is the most delicious part of the meal.
You don't even have to coat them in foil. Just make sure something is under the potato to catch any oil that drips off.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Alternately, 4 or 5 potatoes cut into bite-size pieces, a good pour of olive oil and a tablespoon of herbs de provence. Spread them out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and put them on 450 for about 30-40 minutes with a flip in the middle.

People sleep on herbs de provence, but it's SUCH a nice change-up from traditional Italian seasoning, and you've really got to have that sometimes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
We're in the twilight zone here, the void between roasting and baking.
Still, if I put a whole potato in the oven, without oils, herbs or cutting etc, I call that baking. And they are better that way with a crispy skin, than wrapped in foil.
After cooking, cut them and add herbs, butter, sour cream or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What is the difference between roasting and baking a potato?