Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
Do you just have to wait for galleas before taking cities navally?

Alexander isn't expanding at all for some reason and I could just take him out now and be done with it. He's also on a strip of coast that is basically unassailable by land in any way shape or form. My army of triremes got smashed in 3 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Legendary posted:

Source Code
:psyduck: Holy poo poo, we have access to that?!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So far with the Zulu, I've found that rushing archery and bronze working to crap out 3-4 archers and a couple spearmen with the unique upgrades available to be more than enough firepower to mulch most early opposition.

Is it better to go tradition in that case, since I'm really only going for my neighbor's capitals anyway? I don't see much use for the free settler. The worker bonus and access to the pyramids from liberty is nice, but I'm already splitting my picks between whatever and honor.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ To me the best part of Liberty is the Free Worker and then Pyramids. 3 free workers and two 25% faster improvement build time bonuses is great, lets you get as much done with less workers as other civs or far more done with the same number.

Varjon posted:

It's possible with Triremes but you will need a lot and you'll have to kite them by having the ones that just attacked the city pull back and let fresh Triremes assault on that turn(You can use your promotions to heal your ships to keep them in the fight here if you don't care about keeping your triremes around). That is a lot of wasted resources though and I would just wait until you got Galleas as they are not that far off in the tech tree. A city with Walls and an archer in it do lots of damage to triremes though.

I really wish the AI was far better in regards to Naval combat. It is really easy to take coastal cities once you can spam ships that have bombard.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 24, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Varjon posted:

Carthage gets a trireme replacement that can do a number on early coastal cities. Byzantium gets a ranged attack trireme replacement, so you could substitute a couple of those for archers. Biggest problem I see with early boats is getting them coastal raider 2 and supply ASAP, or maintaining a forward coastal base for repairs.

E: Triremes with coastal raider are also good if you just want to farm some quick gold and don't mind being at war for a while. Just scoot in, get some cash, heal at port and repeat.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 24, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Beamed posted:

:psyduck: Holy poo poo, we have access to that?!

For a long, long time. This is how I was able to confirm that there is absolutely no bias or apparently randomization flaws back when somebody was alleging that random civs were rigged to show certain leaders more often.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there anyway to set a soldier or ship to just follow on top of a caravan/cargo ship? Guarding these fuckers in the early game can get frustrating.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, trade could definitely use better management. It would be nice if there were to be a way to attach a military unit to a cargo ship or caravan. It would also be nice if it sorted the trade route list by profit. I wouldn't say no to a simple 'auto-pick most profitable route' option either. Constantly reselecting trade routes does get tiring.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, trade could definitely use better management. It would be nice if there were to be a way to attach a military unit to a cargo ship or caravan. It would also be nice if it sorted the trade route list by profit. I wouldn't say no to a simple 'auto-pick most profitable route' option either. Constantly reselecting trade routes does get tiring.

I agree with your other points, but I think you can sort the trade route list by profit by selecting "highest gold" in the dropdown at the top.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just hit up the trade overview, click possible trade routes, sort by most gold I receive, check if it's a land or sea route, switch home cities if I have to, then make the route. In my Moroccan game I also have to pay attention to whether I already have a trade route with that civ/city state to gain the diversity bonus, and which trade routes give me the most beakers as I'm trying to tech up. It's really not that bad, although I wish there was a way to change them so when Ghengis backstabs you and you know it's coming he won't automatically pillage all your routes through his territory in the first 2 turns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Legendary posted:

I've also been struggling to understand what drives the faith rewards, so once I remembered that we have access to the source code of the game I went and looked it up. The relevant code is in CvPlayer.cpp:

code:

// Early pantheon
if(kGoodyInfo.isPantheonFaith())
{
	if(GC.getGame().getElapsedGameTurns() < 20)
	{
		return false;
	}
	else
	{
		return (!GetReligions()->HasCreatedPantheon() && !GetReligions()->HasCreatedReligion());
	}
}

// Faith toward Great Prophet
if(kGoodyInfo.getProphetPercent() > 0)
{
	if(GC.getGame().getElapsedGameTurns() < 20)
	{
		return false;
	}
	else
	{
		return (GetReligions()->HasCreatedPantheon() && !GetReligions()->HasCreatedReligion());
	}
}
Both faith rewards require you to be on turn 20 or later. The first is earmarked for helping you found your pantheon, and so it requires that you haven't already founded a pantheon. The second is earmarked for helping you complete your first Great Prophet, so it requires that you have founded a pantheon, but haven't founded a religion.

Neat. This matches up with what I'd estimated. Note that this means you can get two faith rewards in a row, if the first founds your pantheon, because they're coded as different rewards.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Filthy Monkey posted:

All I'd need right now is a quick select button, with a corresponding hot key, for "keep doing the same route you've done so far".

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If I were going to do a Large Island map what civs should I pick for the AI so that they actually use a navy? Carthage, Ottomans, Byzantine?(They aren't actually considered naval though?, Portugal, Venice, Dutch, England. Am I missing anyone? Doesn't seem like enough Naval Civs to get a standard game.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BadLlama posted:

If I were going to do a Large Island map want civs should I pick for the AI so that they actually use a navy? Carthage, Ottomans, Byzantine?(They aren't actually considered naval though?, Portugal, Venice, Dutch, England. Am I missing anyone? Doesn't seem like enough Naval Civs to get a standard game.

Indonesia certainly benefits from islands, and maybe the Ottomans, with their naval UA?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Polynesia + Denmark perhaps?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Jolan posted:

Could anyone enlighten me on when ancient ruins can start giving faith? Is it after you've got a shrine, after you've got a pantheon, after a certain number of turns, ...?

I got faith and a pantheon before I'd settled my opening city when I did my Polynesia head to the new world game.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Civs with a 7 or 8 for Naval: England (8), Japan, Ottoman (8), Polynesia (8), Denmark (8), Korea, Carthage, Byzantium, Netherlands (8), Venice, Indonesia, Portugal

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Civs with a 7 or 8 for Naval: England (8), Japan, Ottoman (8), Polynesia (8), Denmark (8), Korea, Carthage, Byzantium, Netherlands (8), Venice, Indonesia, Portugal

Nice, thanks. I wonder if Songhai and the war canoe promotion could actually be useful for naval combat in a twisted kind of way.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 24, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Note: Oda Nobunaga is a tough son of a bitch when he's dug in, has a great general and plenty of troops.

As Shaka on marathon, I brought 3 archers, a spearman, a scout and a great general to take Kyoto. 50ish turns later I've taken Kyoto, but lost one archer. On the plus side, my archers are barrage 3, march, double attack and my spearman is buffalo 3, drill 1, cover 2. My only other neighbor is Pacal way across the continent, and he managed to found a couple of cities while I was slapfighting Oda. Time to make a couple more units and party like its 2012. :getin:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

I seem to remember that at some point, someone at Firaxis mentioned attaching units to trade units but that never seemed to happen. There are a couple problems with that, first being that Caravans always ignore terrain costs so not all units would be able to keep up. Second would be that trade units obviously ignore open borders and go wherever, so your attached units wouldn't be able to follow them. Also trade routes tend to stack up on top of each other which could cause a lot of military congestion. There's would basically be a lot of little issues with attaching military units to make the whole idea not very viable. It would also somewhat trivialize sending routes through large, dangerous expanses of land. The game requires greater military strength than a single unit to clear out that area and defend it.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Note: Oda Nobunaga is a tough son of a bitch when he's dug in, has a great general and plenty of troops.

As Shaka on marathon, I brought 3 archers, a spearman, a scout and a great general to take Kyoto. 50ish turns later I've taken Kyoto, but lost one archer. On the plus side, my archers are barrage 3, march, double attack and my spearman is buffalo 3, drill 1, cover 2. My only other neighbor is Pacal way across the continent, and he managed to found a couple of cities while I was slapfighting Oda. Time to make a couple more units and party like its 2012. :getin:

Interesting choice to take march on your archers instead of range. I guess march allows you to take hits from the city and still heal while attacking, but range allows you to be outside of city range while attacking, but that's not always possible due to the terrain I guess. I do suggest taking range ASAP on those guys though. Because range on Gatling Guns/Machine Guns is totally awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 24, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadLlama posted:

Nice, thanks. I wonder if Songhai and the war canoe promotion could actually be useful for naval combat in a twisted kind of way.
I doubt it, an embarked Great General fucks up a Privateer just as much as another Privateer does without the Songhai promotion.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

JayMax posted:

Caravans and cargo ships to send food or hammers to your capital. Try to get universities online as quickly as possible so your jungle tiles produce science. If you can, build your capital next to a mountain to be able to build an observatory. You'll be science beast.

The problem I have specifically is timing the libraries/the National College and settlers. On desert/plains/grassland starts I have a pretty good handle on when to build things and how to prioritize techs so that founding second and third cities doesn't get in the way of building the National College as early as possible. On jungle starts I always run into an issue where I have to put off building a settler because getting that second or third library will delay building the NC immensely, or I'm waiting till way too late to settle additional cities.

Is it better to prioritize getting additional cities up and claiming territory over building the National College? You also just need more techs to get your workers started on connecting resources in the jungle, which derails my usual strategy. Even with caravans I just haven't found an early tech/build order that doesn't leave me behind technologically and losing out on wonders left and right.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Interesting choice to take march on your archers instead of range. I guess march allows you to take hits from the city and still heal while attacking, but range allows you to be outside of city range while attacking, but that's not always possible due to the terrain I guess. I do suggest taking range ASAP on those guys though. Because range on Gatling Guns/Machine Guns is totally awesome.

That's the next upgrade on the docket. I usually take march as soon as I can on any unit because that means I have more wiggle room if I make a bad move or manage to get ambushed by reinforcements.The other reason I didn't get range yet is that Pacal is set up in deep jungle with few hills, so it's not like I'd get much LOS anyway.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I doubt it, an embarked Great General fucks up a Privateer just as much as another Privateer does without the Songhai promotion.

Does it seem perverse to anyone else that an embarked Great General can survive a brush with a melee ship, while a Great Admiral can't?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Hulk Krogan posted:

The problem I have specifically is timing the libraries/the National College and settlers. On desert/plains/grassland starts I have a pretty good handle on when to build things and how to prioritize techs so that founding second and third cities doesn't get in the way of building the National College as early as possible. On jungle starts I always run into an issue where I have to put off building a settler because getting that second or third library will delay building the NC immensely, or I'm waiting till way too late to settle additional cities.

Is it better to prioritize getting additional cities up and claiming territory over building the National College? You also just need more techs to get your workers started on connecting resources in the jungle, which derails my usual strategy. Even with caravans I just haven't found an early tech/build order that doesn't leave me behind technologically and losing out on wonders left and right.

I usually go Liberty on a jungle start and try to spread out a little. I'll try to get Pyramids along the way, but otherwise I'm not too worried about wonders in the early game. I like to time my libraries with my Liberty finisher so I can build the National College with a Great Engineer.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Bro Enlai posted:

Does it seem perverse to anyone else that an embarked Great General can survive a brush with a melee ship, while a Great Admiral can't?

Wow, I did not realize that this was the case. I guess I don't actually know how embarked land units fight naval units. How is an embarked land unit's combat strength calculated?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Magicaljesus posted:

I'm playing a game as Indonesia right now. I started a war with Hiawatha specifically to test the Kris Swordsman. I'm not really sure why they were implemented as is. At best, they could get some nice abilities. At worst, far, far worse than plain swordsmen. The "promotion" for my first four kris swordsmen was Enemy Blade, which means my units automatically take 20 damage for every turn ended in enemy territory. I had no need for these units in the back lines, so I just sent them to their deaths attacking a city. I had slightly better luck with other promotions, but none were really that good. The negative promotions really left me unimpressed, to the point where I'd almost rather have the option to build the regular swordsman. The roulette isn't worth it to me.

That's insanely bad luck. I'd prefer if it were a moving weighted random chance (i.e. is biased against bonuses you recently got), but then again i recently had a game where i got 2 with Restlessness in a row which once i babied them up to musketeers was effectively the backbone to a world conquest army all by themselves. Kris Swordsmen are honestly pretty incredible (and i wouldn't otherwise build swordsmen at all).

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I have a really dumb question but I'm a new player and I'm just not turning up answers with Google. I obviously don't know the correct terms to be searching.

Every 50 turns I notice I get a pop up that tells me something. "People That Like to Smile the Most" I understand is happiness, or "Mostest Literate" I understand is techs researched. But then there's other ones like "Busiest" and drat if I'm not constantly doing poo poo but the game is telling me I'm the least busy! So I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere of all the possible 50 turn pop ups and what they mean. I have Gods and Kings but not Brave New World.

Edit: Does my somehow turning up on an enormous center continent with only Persia and the other four being off elsewhere have anything to do with my "not very busy" status? Because it's like 1000 AD and I span this massive continent east-west but still have four unmet players somehow with 80% of the map explored (stupid water). Let me tell you, I really feel like an Iroquois. It would be hilarious if it weren't so frustrating.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Varjon posted:

Alexander isn't expanding at all for some reason and I could just take him out now and be done with it. He's also on a strip of coast that is basically unassailable by land in any way shape or form. My army of triremes got smashed in 3 turns.

One thing that you can attempt in pre-galleass naval invasions is to have melee units with amphibious promotions stacked with the triremes and attack with both boats and men. Maybe that will help a little bit. But it's going to be real rough no matter what. You really can't even just land in a catapult or two?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

The Lobster posted:

I have a really dumb question but I'm a new player and I'm just not turning up answers with Google. I obviously don't know the correct terms to be searching.

Every 50 turns I notice I get a pop up that tells me something. "People That Like to Smile the Most" I understand is happiness, or "Mostest Literate" I understand is techs researched. But then there's other ones like "Busiest" and drat if I'm not constantly doing poo poo but the game is telling me I'm the least busy! So I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere of all the possible 50 turn pop ups and what they mean. I have Gods and Kings but not Brave New World.
If you hover over the list you should get a tooltip pop-up explaining exactly what it is.

I'm pretty sure that one refers to the total number of hammers your empire generates per turn.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Lobster posted:

Busiest is production. I think it's the hammers per turn being produced by each civ. "Likes shiny things the most" is the amount of gold in your treasury. "Pointiest sticks" is military strength. I can't think of any other G&K popups, maybe there's one for religion but I don't recall seeing one. There's a new one in BNW for tourism, something like "Cities people like to visit the most."

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ah, OK, thanks guys! I guess that makes sense on my very first playthrough I wouldn't be so good at the hammers. I'm middling on happiness and pleased to say I was way ahead of everyone on Mostest Literate because of all the time spent playing RTS as a kid and how that taught me to research the gently caress out of everything.

The ironic position of my Iroquois nation is just there to make me bang my head against things.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Is there any way to force the game to load map textures without me manually mousing over them? Whenever I load a game on a huge map that I've mostly explored I have to zoom out all the way and move through the map in chunks to get it to load textures, or else it's a grey mess that lags a bunch and is annoying. I have a good computer and wouldn't mind another 10 seconds of load time if it meant I didn't have to keep doing this. I tried Googling 'civ 5 grey texture problem' but most results are complaining about different things so I'm not sure if there's an easy solution.

e: to clarify, the textures load in after I've been still on a screen for a second, a scanline comes from top to bottom quickly filling everything in. I would much prefer that it just pre-loads this.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 24, 2013

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You also get experience from being bombarded by the city, though! :eng101: Can help level up archers faster if you have some means of keeping them alive.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How much unhappiness does founding a new city give? -4ish?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

You also get experience from being bombarded by the city, though! :eng101: Can help level up archers faster if you have some means of keeping them alive.

Yep. That's part of the reason fighting Oda took so long. I was dragging it out some in order to farm xp, but I also had to bait his defenders out multiple times. I need to do a run as Oda, as Bushido seems like a pretty cool UA.

E: I'm swimming in great generals. I think I'll save them for late game land grabs. Uranium 2 tiles out of range? gently caress YOU!

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 24, 2013

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Yeah, 3 for the city, 1 for the pop. Uh 6 + 1/2 for Gandhi?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

BadLlama posted:

-3 global for a new city; -1 local for the 1 pop that comes with it

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BadLlama posted:

-3 just for having the city, -1 for each citizen. So yeah a brand new city will give you -4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
What's the difference between local and global happiness/unhappiness? I'm used to SMAC where all unhappiness was on a per-city basis but global factors influenced each city individually.

• Locked thread