Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, sure. I have no doubt the finest and most morally unimpeachable Minds weigh all the costs and run all the sims to make a decision. I'm just saying Special Circumstances is not above getting their hands(fields?) dirty.

You could argue that maybe meteor strikes are too inelegant a solution for them, but would it be so surprising to go with that if they knew none of their more subtle or less distasteful tricks wouldn't work?

edit: A disclaimer - I haven't actually read Inversions. I'm just inferring from their behavior in other books.

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Base Emitter posted:

Yes, but It's also possible they just tweaked the trajectory of a rock that could have done more damage.

That's what I figured. And really It seemed to me that it was just the old emperor and most of its established power structure that was wiped out. That seemed a little too convenient considering the Cultures goals and tech level. Regarding their justification remember the nutty killing spree the Azadian Emperor went on after he got beat. Im sure considering how well Minds can model situational outcomes they expected that so I wouldn't put much past SC when they can statistically justify something.

edit

Lasting Damage posted:

edit: A disclaimer - I haven't actually read Inversions. I'm just inferring from their behavior in other books.

I put it off till last since most reviews were a little cool on it and I really love reading about Minds and such but I'd highly recommend it.

Na'at fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 19, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lasting Damage posted:

edit: I mean, never forget who actually started the Idiran War. How many billions died for just the Culture's peace of mind?

Not just peace of mind. The simulations showed that the galaxy would be a clearly better place and more lives would be saved in the long run by engaging in war when they did, and the sims were high enough degree of probability to act on

The Culture is of the stance that allowing nature to run its course when you could change it leaves you just as morally culpable for inaction as you are for action. What happens, happens, and they do their best to ensure that in the end it's the best thing that does.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

MikeJF posted:

Not just peace of mind. The simulations showed that the galaxy would be a clearly better place and more lives would be saved in the long run by engaging in war when they did, and the sims were high enough degree of probability to act on

And even with all of that, the decision was controversial enough that a "Peace Faction" broke off from the Culture, and you hear little bits of debate throughout the books over who is or isn't the "real Culture".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I wonder gow many Minds there are in the Peace Faction. There must be some to run the ships, but are they taking care of the people or have they actually joined up themselves?

Also what do AhForgetIt Minds do? All day in infinite fun space? :awesomelon:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Strategic Tea posted:

I wonder gow many Minds there are in the Peace Faction. There must be some to run the ships, but are they taking care of the people or have they actually joined up themselves?

Also what do AhForgetIt Minds do? All day in infinite fun space? :awesomelon:

It's been a while since I read Excession but I seem to remember the whole Zetetic Elench was a peace faction breakaway.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Strategic Tea posted:

I got the impression that the Minds disagreed with other Minds about as often as the humans disagreed with each other. There was a group that tried to provoke the Affront into a war against the Culture so as to teach them a lesson, some of them may have been behind the attack on Masaq hub, and so on. Larry Niven suggested (in Protector, and elsewhere) that sufficient intelligence negates free will because you see the one and only Right Answer to any problem; Banks appears to disagree with that notion, his Minds may be hyper-intelligent but they can and do disagree on what should be done.

Edit: "Monds," ffs

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 19, 2013

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Base Emitter posted:

It's been a while since I read Excession but I seem to remember the whole Zetetic Elench was a peace faction breakaway.

The Elench predate the Peace Faction by like 800 years.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZekeNY posted:

I got the impression that the Monds disagreed with other Minds about as often as the humans disagreed with each other. There was a group that tried to provoke the Affront into a war against the Culture so as to teach them a lesson, some of them may have been behind the attack on Masaq hub, and so on. Larry Niven suggested (in Protector, and elsewhere) that sufficient intelligence negates free will because you see the one and only Right Answer to any problem; Banks appears to disagree with that notion, his Minds may be hyper-intelligent but they can and do disagree on what should be done.

Indeed, one of the things I took away from Excession is that the Minds are just as petty on their own scale as the humans that created them. I read Excession after CP, PofG, Uof W, Inversions and Matter, and it really changed my mind on some of the claims that the Culture makes about itself.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ZekeNY posted:

I got the impression that the Minds disagreed with other Minds about as often as the humans disagreed with each other. There was a group that tried to provoke the Affront into a war against the Culture so as to teach them a lesson, some of them may have been behind the attack on Masaq hub, and so on. Larry Niven suggested (in Protector, and elsewhere) that sufficient intelligence negates free will because you see the one and only Right Answer to any problem; Banks appears to disagree with that notion, his Minds may be hyper-intelligent but they can and do disagree on what should be done.

I don't think that the Pak Protectors lacked free will because of their intelligence--their crazy hard-coded instincts just forced that intellect into a small box. A better example might the personalities given to offensive drones like Mawhrin-Skel or Sisela Ytheleus 1/2.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ZekeNY posted:

Well in a way Niven is right, In Look to Windward any perfect AI, without any trace of its creators' bias, always tries to sublime immediately.

Though that's the sublime so I guess it's kind of cheating.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

The Dark One posted:

I don't think that the Pak Protectors lacked free will because of their intelligence--their crazy hard-coded instincts just forced that intellect into a small box. A better example might the personalities given to offensive drones like Mawhrin-Skel or Sisela Ytheleus 1/2.

Good point about the instincts, I haven't read Niven in a while so I'll have to look out for that if I get the chance to revisit Protector and the later Ringworld books.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Whether or not the Minds are actually all that 'moral' by our standards is one of my favorite meta-questions arising from his books. Another example: birth, death and population control. It's considered "childish" to want to live forever and weird to have more than one or two kids. Does death give life meaning and are most citizens so conscientious as to not want to overpopulate their habitats because that's the natural conclusion mortal humanoids would come to given the circumstances or do the Minds get bored when faced with the notion of taking care of a geometrically expanding population of lesser beings who become ever more set in their ways and thoughts (and therefore more boring) as they get older in a largely static environment bereft of any real survival challenge and act, subtly of course, to make death and small families popular for that reason? Oh, and is that all that immoral, anyway?

Also, the best ship name is clearly the former ROU and current VFP Resistance Is Character-Forming.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Munkeymon posted:

Whether or not the Minds are actually all that 'moral' by our standards is one of my favorite meta-questions arising from his books. Another example: birth, death and population control. It's considered "childish" to want to live forever and weird to have more than one or two kids. Does death give life meaning and are most citizens so conscientious as to not want to overpopulate their habitats because that's the natural conclusion mortal humanoids would come to given the circumstances or do the Minds get bored when faced with the notion of taking care of a geometrically expanding population of lesser beings who become ever more set in their ways and thoughts (and therefore more boring) as they get older in a largely static environment bereft of any real survival challenge and act, subtly of course, to make death and small families popular for that reason? Oh, and is that all that immoral, anyway?

Possibly, but I'd say it's more likely just another expression of the kind of parsimony the Culture seems to value. I'm reminded of the bit in Use of Weapons where Zakalwe gets annoyed about there being no junk on the ship to shoot, or how the Culture generally far prefers Orbitals to planets because of the material-to-living space ratio. Given their resources, they probably could throw poo poo away all the time and spread out over ten times the amount of planets they'd need than when using Orbitals, but that just wouldn't be very elegant.

Besides, from our own real-world statistics we can see that people who are materially better off and socially more secure tend to have fewer children anyway, and the human inhabitants of the Culture have, needless to say, immeasurably better living standards than we do.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Munkeymon posted:

Also, the best ship name is clearly the former ROU and current VFP Resistance Is Character-Forming.

I should know better than to even consider getting into a "best Culture ship name" debate, but I can't help it. Yours is a defensible choice, but I still prefer the Ethics Gradient, a name that sums up SC perfectly in two words. (Although I can't remember off the top of my head if that was even an SC boat. Oh we'll, any excuse for a re-read is a good thing!)

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

ZekeNY posted:

I should know better than to even consider getting into a "best Culture ship name" debate, but I can't help it. Yours is a defensible choice, but I still prefer the Ethics Gradient, a name that sums up SC perfectly in two words. (Although I can't remember off the top of my head if that was even an SC boat. Oh we'll, any excuse for a re-read is a good thing!)

Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is less subtle, but another name that encapsulates this, although it is a GOU/Picket rather than a GSV or Contact unit.

I don't even know what my favourite Culture Mind name is. They're generally all awesome.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Trauma Tank posted:

I don't even know what my favourite Culture Mind name is. They're generally all awesome.

Agreed about the FOTNMC; awesome name and truly awe-inspiring in action. And I think "they're generally all awesome" is probably the best possible answer to the best name issue.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've always been partial to Meatfucker

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Lasting Damage posted:

I've always been partial to Meatfucker

Lasting Damage was a pretty great one too, now that your name brings it up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The is easily my favourite one. But as you say, they're all great.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I was always partial to "Frank Exchange of Views"

If I knew it I'd just call it Frank.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Munkeymon posted:

I don't think the Culture ever has to worry about overpopulation given their resources. Even if they did become strapped for space they could start building Culture versions of Nariscene Nestworlds around a few stars and have lving space for trillions more people. They could probably even build their own Shellworlds if they put their minds to it, and those wouldn't even require a natural sun.

As for immortal humans becoming boring, Ngaroe QiRia in the Hydrogen Sonata seemed amusing enough, even if he did have some weird quirks. I imagine that some Minds might even enjoy having humans the same age as them around. They don't seem to worry about drones living for a very long time, either.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's not a name but I always liked that ship in Excession from a totally different civ but with a Culture loyalty rating of 90% (NB - self assessed).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Strategic Tea posted:

It's not a name but I always liked that ship in Excession from a totally different civ but with a Culture loyalty rating of 90% (NB - self assessed).

Yeah, the Homomdan ship that the Wisdom Like Silence pitches a shitfit about, for being invited to the Super Secret Meeting of Only Old And Trusted Minds.

That whole sequence is very funny for what amounts to an IRC chatlog. I also like the Orbital Mind that pops in just to spout poetry.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I read somewhere that Banks was actually trying to emulate the way discussions go on message boards, so I always imagine that part is like a forum invasion.

ZekeNY posted:

Lasting Damage was a pretty great one too, now that your name brings it up.

Chosen solely because I thought it sounded cool. Also, probably because I think Look to Windward is my favorite.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Just the other day I finished Look to Windward and yeah, it's up there as a favorite. For much of the book it's like an essay on the state of mind of the Culture as a whole, if it can be treated as such. A similar thing happens in some of Hydrogen Sonata.

All this ship name talk reminds me of the two party goers trading insults in ship names, from Windward.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't think citizens are conscientious of overpopulation. The biological modifications Culture citizens are born with mean they don't even get pregnant unless they want to. The state of their society and culture means that for most people, having children is an ends, so most people just have a kid or two just to experience it. Bam, done. A "that was neat now let's do something else" sort of thing. There's that one minor character from Player of Games that just kept having children and they're seen as kind of odd for it. Why would you deliberately subject yourself to that sort of experience again when you can go do new things?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Argas posted:

I don't think citizens are conscientious of overpopulation. The biological modifications Culture citizens are born with mean they don't even get pregnant unless they want to. The state of their society and culture means that for most people, having children is an ends, so most people just have a kid or two just to experience it. Bam, done. A "that was neat now let's do something else" sort of thing. There's that one minor character from Player of Games that just kept having children and they're seen as kind of odd for it. Why would you deliberately subject yourself to that sort of experience again when you can go do new things?

'That sort of experience' being quite different for Culture members, though; no pain, no worry, the kid can even be incubated externally if you want. And after it's born they're raised in estates populated by a lot of extended family with no real other responsibilities and Hub or Ship as an ever-present watcher.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just remember, everything in the Culture has trends. In some eras, it was fashionable to live ~500 years with backups (like the era the books are set in), but in others 99% of Culture humans may have been as immortal as you can get. Sometimes all you got was one life, with no mind-state saves. In some eras one kid is enough, but in others, a baseball team worth of kids may have been popular. There were probably eras where the sublimation rate was comparatively high, or Minds had less charitable views towards their charges, or ships had names with gravitas and grandiosity.
And, of course, it could vary habitat-to-habitat pretty widely. Generalized trends when you've got a trillion citizens spread across millions of habitats are going to have to be really general indeed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Trauma Tank posted:

Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints is less subtle, but another name that encapsulates this, although it is a GOU/Picket rather than a GSV or Contact unit.

I am just reading Surface Detail for the first time, and the positive glee that Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints has for being in battle is hilarious.

Surface Detail posted:

"So what does it think it's following?"
"A lowly Torturer-class rapid Offensive Unit from the days of loving yore," Demeisen said with what sounded like relish. "That's what it thinks it's following, assuming it's done its homework properly. Encasement, sensory, traction; every field I'm currently deploying right now looks convincingly like a very slightly and extremely plausibly tweaked version of the classic Torturer-class signature profile. So it thinks I am a mere dainty pebble amongst modern spacecraft. But I'm not; I'm a loving rock-slide."

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

gender illusionist posted:

Just the other day I finished Look to Windward and yeah, it's up there as a favorite. For much of the book it's like an essay on the state of mind of the Culture as a whole, if it can be treated as such. A similar thing happens in some of Hydrogen Sonata.

All this ship name talk reminds me of the two party goers trading insults in ship names, from Windward.

Just read that part of look to windward, and it was great.
My favorite is Falling outside the normal moral constraints, as many others in this thread.

The more I read of banks the more I see how he has influenced Asher. A lot of Asher's combat drones and war ships are very similar in attitude to Fotnmc above.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I am just reading Surface Detail for the first time, and the positive glee that Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints has for being in battle is hilarious.

I think it's one of the best developed ship-minds. The central minds are too completely beyond human scope to be written about consistently well (though having said that there's some great bits in Surface Detail with them), but this battle-mad, pretty suave fighting ship is just written so so well. There's the great moment when the battle is supposedly raging but it's actually a recording slowed down by like 1000% or something, just shows the absolute crippling power of a fully modern Culture warship.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

lenoon posted:

I think it's one of the best developed ship-minds. The central minds are too completely beyond human scope to be written about consistently well (though having said that there's some great bits in Surface Detail with them), but this battle-mad, pretty suave fighting ship is just written so so well. There's the great moment when the battle is supposedly raging but it's actually a recording slowed down by like 1000% or something, just shows the absolute crippling power of a fully modern Culture warship.
I loved that, paraphrasing:

"Shouldn't I suit up so you can maneuver freely without worrying about my safety?"
"My dear, this is just a recording. The battle lasted about 3 seconds in real time."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That exchange followed a 2 or so page description of said battle, and I seem to recall more moments like that in the Culture novels. You read pages long descriptions of an event and at the end it's revealed it only took half a second in real time. It really drives home the point that we're dealing with powers so far beyond our own comprehension.

There's also this great bit around the start of Matter, where one of the main characters connects to the net and there's a beautiful description of the sheer immersion it entails, complete with colours and impressions unimaginable to our own baseline understanding and it's ended with a sort of sarcastic reminder that it's downright primitive compared to what a Mind experiences every nano-second of its existence.

Banks really had a knack for impressing upon his readers the magnitude of what his stories dealt with and make it believable and somehow imaginable even though it's inherently far beyond our understanding.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Ken MacLeod has made a post about Banks's politics.

Ken MacLeod posted:

He was quite willing to stick his neck out when necessary: he came down to London in 1977 to join the mobilization against the fascist National Front's attempt to march through Lewisham, took his place in a small squad of comrades none of whom he knew but me, and thoroughly enjoyed the fight that ensued. On a later visit he joined me when it was my turn to guard our group's bookshop and offices, which had recently been targeted in an amateurish arson attempt by the fascists. As Iain and I checked the locks on the building's back door, two policemen loomed behind us and tapped our shoulders. It took us some minutes to convince the coppers that we really were there to protect rather than attack the shop. Iain ribbed me about it afterwards:

'I bet that's the first time you've ever had to say, "Honestly, officer, I really am a left-wing extremist ..."'

Ken MacLeod posted:

It was my later explorations of libertarian thought that most sorely tried his patience. I could never persuade him that libertarianism was anything but a shill for corporate interests: a common misconception, and one that many libertarians have worked hard to confirm.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I am so loving sad he's dead.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Banks' death has made me realise what a disservice I've been doing to the man by only reading his Culture books, so I'm endeavoring to read his complete works.

I've just finished The Wasp Factory. This was actually the first book of his I ever read, found it in the college library years ago. It's a much more compelling read now that I'm not 17 and can actually appreciate the shamanistic imagery of it all. My theology is rusty, shamanism might not be quite the right term for Frank's rituals, animism might be more accurate. I like how peculiarly atheistic it is though, objects, animals and people have spirits but there's nothing divine about it, it's just some essential component that's tied up in them materially. Frank definitely seems to feel the contrived nature of his elaborate rituals, but that's sort of the whole point of them. They're not appealing to some higher power for help, they're just a way for him to exert some influence on his surroundings. Frank is even disgusted by the build up of grime he gets after not washing for weeks, but to him it's essential to produce his sacred essences.

There's a nice parallel there with his Dad's obsessive labeling, trying to bring some sort of order to the world by measuring every inch of matter. Frank tries to dominate his surroundings by enveloping them in his body (Freudian imagery ho!) while his Dad prefers the intellectual approach, but in the end they're both creating talismans to try and make sense of the scary scary world. I was gutted to hear that interview whee Banks says he put it in just because it was an amusing eccentricity. In the same interview he discusses working on the oil platforms that Frank sees off the coast - like The Bridge it's very tied in to Scottish geography and the weird tone of industry and isolation mixed together is unlike anything I've read, I'm used to my dystopias being crowded.

Moving into spoilers for Eric.
I'm kind of tempted to say that all the character's psychoses are a result of their environment, but this is probably untrue given the stories Frank tells of the rest of his family. There's some dodgy genes going on with those people. What's interesting is that Eric isn't crazy in the way people think he is. Frank is sure he's just putting on an act because he enjoys playing the boogeyman that everyone thinks he is. His affectation of madness is just as much a ritual as the Wasp Factory.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable at gender-based twists, they tend to feel a bit regressive, but I quite like how it was handled here. To me it's not really about gender at all - Frank views his killing as a replacement for his stolen masculine potency, and it is tragic to see his identity crumble away like that. The ending is relatively upbeat though, optimistic almost. It feels Nietzschean in the way it supports the challenging of the identity your parents force onto you, on top of all the anti-religious bits about empty rituals.

The descriptions of all the torture I didn't find all that shocking. Like American Psycho we're so tied up in the psyche of the narrator that it's hard to really grasp the magnitude of what he's doing. I'd also compare it to the first half an hour of Upstream Color, which also spends time not just making you sympathise with this psychopath, but shows you the beauty and wonder that they see in the horror they commit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm reading all of Banks' non-M books and The Bridge, at least, contains a knife missile - was there another knife missile sighting in the literary works or is this the same one?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Saw this floating around, thought I might share it with the thread.

http://rationalist.org.uk/articles/4182/iain-m-banks-universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm maybe a third of the way through The Algebraist and I'm having a hard time maintaining interest because half the book seems to be about what a party animal the main character used to be. I've never read any of his books before, are they all like this?

• Locked thread