Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Crustashio posted:

15k for a 328i manual wagon seems reasonable to me, but maybe that's just because I'd consider it a rarity as well. Hell, e46 325 tourings can STILL sell for close to 10k.

Of course I also just dream of having one in alpine white as a daily driver :allears:

also, does anyone know if these are OEM wheels and what the style # would be? I need a 2nd set of wheels for my e46 and I like simply 5 spoke wheels.

They are 1 series m package wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So I got this carfax report from the dealer of the 330i I posted earlier:

http://i.imgur.com/YFogx0A.png?1?3253

Seems pretty...uninformative. At least to my eyes. Seems like it was babied, but it could also be just self maintained.

I've been poking around that E46 wiki that was linked and I am familiar with what can go wrong, but how can I tell by looking if those problems were addressed? Namely things like the water pump, vanos...catastrophic expensive things.

Edit: I guess it's kind of terrifying to see only one oil change on there, but I don't recall oil changes really ever being listed on a carfax report.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 24, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've been poking around that E46 wiki that was linked and I am familiar with what can go wrong, but how can I tell by looking if those problems were addressed? Namely things like the water pump, vanos...catastrophic expensive things.

Simple, if its not documented with at least receipts and isn't obvious, assume it hasn't been done. It's on the seller to prove the vehicle has been maintained.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

100 miles is nothing. I flew 1600 or so miles for my newest to me car, and 260 for the one I got before that. 100 miles is what, an hour by car? :v:
This.

I bought a Kawasaki KLR650 from a goon in 2010, sight unseen (but well documented), at the DFW airport, at 11PM, two weeks after passing my MSF Basic Rider's Course, and proceeded to ride it 800 miles back to Denver over Memorial Day Weekend.

Hesitation over 100 miles is kinda cute. :D

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Yep, it's M3 #3. Amazing how many little differences there are between the 2009 and the 2013, despite being the same car with pretty much the same options. (click for big)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Yep, it's M3 #3. Amazing how many little differences there are between the 2009 and the 2013, despite being the same car with pretty much the same options. (click for big)

Good heaven, man! I've been reluctant to trade mine in on the mint green E92 the local dealership has for fear of redundancy, but 3?! You cray ;) I'd say the CIC navigation system is a huge selling point, but your's isn't outfitted with the center hump :)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

Good heaven, man! I've been reluctant to trade mine in on the mint green E92 the local dealership has for fear of redundancy, but 3?! You cray ;) I'd say the CIC navigation system is a huge selling point, but your's isn't outfitted with the center hump :)

I really don't like that navigation system and I never used the CIC features in my blue car :/ I really only care about the driving experience and I'm happy to report that this one has MDM despite not having iDrive or the Technology Package, which is precisely what I wanted. Even the seats are manual :)

Edit: dude, mint green? Really?

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 24, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Das Volk posted:

I was curious what a mint green M3 looks like. Apparently like this:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Where do all these crazy colors come from? BMW only lists the boring colors for the M3s on the website.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I really don't like that navigation system and I never used the CIC features in my blue car :/ I really only care about the driving experience and I'm happy to report that this one has MDM despite not having iDrive or the Technology Package, which is precisely what I wanted. Even the seats are manual :)

Euro MDM is really great, seeing as you had the real thing, you'll probably be wanting it back, haha. Also, the guys at BPM Sport are about to start a group buy on their tune/coding kit this Friday, it's worth having a look--I'm hopping aboard.

It was a dealer special order. All the options I want, except for extended leather :/ I'm still on the fence, but am really enjoying have paid so much of my current one.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

Euro MDM is really great, seeing as you had the real thing, you'll probably be wanting it back, haha. Also, the guys at BPM Sport are about to start a group buy on their tune/coding kit this Friday, it's worth having a look--I'm hopping aboard.

That is one searing color - if you buy it, know you'll never be able to sell it. What's this about a tune and coding kit, and differences between Euro and US MDM? That's news to me.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

thealphabetsez posted:

I'm intrigued. I missed the Active Autowerke $100 SIMON deal when ordering remote performance software tuning---would BPM be comparable or is that more just coding features (e.g., windshield wipers actually finishing a full cycle if you turn off the car mid-cycle or having the iDrive warning screen not automatically flash every time)?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

That is one searing color - if you buy it, know you'll never be able to sell it. What's this about a tune and coding kit, and differences between Euro and US MDM? That's news to me.

It is an exceptionally polarizing color, I just happen to fall on the side of people that love it. I don't think I'd have a hard time selling it if I were to go through it with, but only time will tell. I'll take a second look this Friday ;)

US/Euro MDM: Euro allows for greater slip angle before reducing maximum power output, contrary to applying ban hammer to power early on as is experienced with US MDM. Now in MDM I can get some play out of the rear end without the car slapping my hands. It also is a bit more predictable as to how it will curb power output--it really is a must.

ibntumart posted:

I'm intrigued. I missed the Active Autowerke $100 SIMON deal when ordering remote performance software tuning---would BPM be comparable or is that more just coding features (e.g., windshield wipers actually finishing a full cycle if you turn off the car mid-cycle or having the iDrive warning screen not automatically flash every time)?

The BPM offering is for a full performance software tune, and is currently regarded as the offering to get. The lead guy has been posting a lot about his research into a variety of components i.e., steering assist levels, DCT engagement, throttle response, etc. The current special (that I have been anxiously awaiting) is for a reduced price on the performance tune (tailored to any modifications you have installed), incorporation of the modified steering assist profiles, as well as a big reduction on the DCT tune (if the car is equipped.) I'm fairly certain that custom feature coding can be incorporated into the purchase for next to nothing.

BPM Tuning Information

The group buy thread will go live this Friday. It's worth mentioning that I get no kickback of any kind. My research has lead me to be confident that the BPM offering is the best package out there, hence that's what I'm going with.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Need some adice on painting trim on my E90. The aluminum roof rails are flaking, and I'd like to try and repaint them myself. I've been looking around various forums, and it looks like they're not too hard to remove, but I'm not sure what I need to repaint them. Can I just sand them down and use regular touch-up paint, or do I need to prime/paint/clear coat? Here's a couple of pictures for reference.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Funzo posted:

Need some adice on painting trim on my E90. The aluminum roof rails are flaking, and I'd like to try and repaint them myself. I've been looking around various forums, and it looks like they're not too hard to remove, but I'm not sure what I need to repaint them. Can I just sand them down and use regular touch-up paint, or do I need to prime/paint/clear coat? Here's a couple of pictures for reference.

The trim is aluminum, and scratches (gouges) really easily, so be careful when sanding, and use a fine grit sandpaper. Also, you'll probably break a couple of clips getting it off, but the clips were pretty cheap at my local dealership.

I believe I just sanded and used black enamel paint. I can't really tell you how long it lasted, because I ended up trading it in six months later, though it still looked great then.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Alarbus posted:

The trim is aluminum, and scratches (gouges) really easily, so be careful when sanding, and use a fine grit sandpaper. Also, you'll probably break a couple of clips getting it off, but the clips were pretty cheap at my local dealership.

I believe I just sanded and used black enamel paint. I can't really tell you how long it lasted, because I ended up trading it in six months later, though it still looked great then.

Did you do any priming or anything first, or just sand it and paint it?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Funzo posted:

Did you do any priming or anything first, or just sand it and paint it?

I just did sand and paint.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Paint isn't going to stick to aluminum unless you use the proper etch primer

There's always plastidip though!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Found a very clean 1996 e36 M3 on Craigslist the other day, garage kept no mods. I got them to go down to $9500 on the car from a starting point of near $11k, but I'm just not sure about the price. KBB sets it at ~$7,300 though that seems fairly low, I could be way off an be over estimating the value of a 17 year old car. Any thoughts?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
$361 later for a new pump and $5 in aluminum bolts... It may run again.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Popete posted:

Found a very clean 1996 e36 M3 on Craigslist the other day, garage kept no mods. I got them to go down to $9500 on the car from a starting point of near $11k, but I'm just not sure about the price. KBB sets it at ~$7,300 though that seems fairly low, I could be way off an be over estimating the value of a 17 year old car. Any thoughts?

How many miles, what's the service history look like, etc.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Kbb is pretty worthless for m3s. They routinely sell well above book because the market for clean ones is pretty good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The guys has all the service records though I have not viewed them as this would be an out of state trip for me. I would basically be making the trip after I decided to buy the car. It has 94k miles.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Popete posted:

I haven't seen an E36 M3 in the last few years that even comes close to KBB/Edmunds prices unless it's a basket case.

Mine is suffering from some maintenance debt that comes with having bought it in 2008 at the beginning of "the rough times", and now after 5 years of "Tires, Blades, Gas and Oil" (and a radiator, and brake rotors) at 194000 miles it needs:

RF Control Arm (and tierod ends and swaybar links while I'm there)
Valve Cover Gasket
PS Pump hoses
Front Control Arm Bushings (FLBMWS says MFIPO apparently put bushings for a 325/328 in there?)
Catalytic Converter - Maybe.
Front speakers (came like that - I just set the fader to full rear and leave it be.)
Due for struts next year.
and a new thing as of yesterday

I have partial maintenance records since the day I bought it, and *full* records (every single fill up, etc.) since August of last year.
Even in the (currently fairly rough) shape it's in, I've been offered $6000 for it. For a '97 M3/4/A.
If I didn't love driving it (moreso, if I didn't *hate* driving everything else I've driven in the last 5 years so much) I'd take that 6 grand and run like hell. I can't replace it like for like for what I can get for it, so I'm spending at least a couple hundred every month on refresh/refurbishing stuff.

On that note:
Yesterday, as I was leaving work, I heard a rattling under the hood. I got out, lifted the hood¹, and found that the expanding rivets that hold the radiator shroud to the radiator had gone. [Part 12], and that the radiator clip [Part 9] had jumped the mounting hole on the passenger side.
This was the rattling I heard. It also explained the slight overheating that I had on Monday afternoon when the car went to 3/4 hot after sitting in a parking lot for 10-15 minutes. The symptom went away once I got moving, so I filed it under "Huh. Watch that and see if it does it again."

Seemed at first blush a simple repair. Go back in to work, grab some zipties and a screwdriver to open the passenger radiator clip and reseat it. Order some expanding rivets, put them in when they arrive. No Problem.

Then I saw where several fan blades had been snapped off already.

This is the part where I, too, say, "GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM", right?

$0.50 for the expanding rivets.
$40 Fan Removal Tool
$60 Fan
While I'm in there, I might as well ante up.
$120 water pump and new O-ring
etc.

Or maybe...
Thoughts on the Fan Delete Mod?

¹ with one hand, while kicking myself for not using this past weekend to replace the gas hood struts that came in last week to replace the OEMs that gave up the ghost a mere 2 weeks ago.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 24, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
At least it didn't catastrophically fail while you were driving on the highway or something, as has happened to hundreds of other BMW owners of that vintage. I hear grenading fans tend to dent the poo poo out of the hood along with anything else they touch on their way to shuffling off this mortal coil.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

The guys has all the service records though I have not viewed them as this would be an out of state trip for me. I would basically be making the trip after I decided to buy the car. It has 94k miles.
$9500 for a 94k mile clean M3?

Buy buy buy

For comparison I bought my '99 E36 M3 'Vert for $9600 and it had a number of cosmetic imperfections (though mechanically fantastic) and was at 133k miles about 4 years ago.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it seems like a good deal, I'll of course have to drive it back up from Texas to Wisconsin a 1000 mile trip.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Originally I was looking at getting an e46 but the e36 has really grown on me in looks and cost comparison. What is the comparison in maintenance cost between the two can I realistically expect to save a pretty good chunk of money on an e36?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Popete posted:

Originally I was looking at getting an e46 but the e36 has really grown on me in looks and cost comparison. What is the comparison in maintenance cost between the two can I realistically expect to save a pretty good chunk of money on an e36?

not an expert and I'm sorta in the same boat but I've been looking at both E46s and E36s and finding well maintained E36's is pretty hard where I am and they're generally not much less if at all less than E46s of similar quality. ymmv but that's what I've been noticing.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
So my alternator died in my 96 328is. What is the general consensus for alternators to get? Is it as easy to diy the replacement as it looks?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

not an expert and I'm sorta in the same boat but I've been looking at both E46s and E36s and finding well maintained E36's is pretty hard where I am and they're generally not much less if at all less than E46s of similar quality. ymmv but that's what I've been noticing.

Yeah I hear ya, there isn't anything around me worth looking at for e36's. about 90% of the e46's out there seem to be convertible or SMGs but I notice any decent e46 will be at least $15k but I've seen a few e36's for around $10k range.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

I'm about to put my 2010 335x M-sport sedan up for sale. KBB and Clearbook both say it's worth about 33k. However, the previous owner put the PPK and the performance exhaust on it. Any ideas on how I should adjust for them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

UnkleBoB posted:

So my alternator died in my 96 328is. What is the general consensus for alternators to get? Is it as easy to diy the replacement as it looks?

It's not as bad as swapping the starter!

Really shouldn't take more than an hour or so, pretty easy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Popete posted:

Yeah I hear ya, there isn't anything around me worth looking at for e36's. about 90% of the e46's out there seem to be convertible or SMGs but I notice any decent e46 will be at least $15k but I've seen a few e36's for around $10k range.

Man where do you live that non M3 E36s are going for 10k :psyduck:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rscott posted:

Man where do you live that non M3 E36s are going for 10k :psyduck:

I have a feeling that he is talking about E46 versus E36 M3s, seeing as he mentioned the SMG gearbox; the price range would support that too.

If this is the case, there really is no comparison; the E46 M3 is a better car in just about every way (especially against the NA-market E36 M3), but at the same time it will be significantly more expensive to run day-to-day; parts are more expensive and your insurance will be much more expensive with the E46. You will get slightly better fuel economy in the E46 though, if that's your thing. :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry about that I was referring to both e36/e46 M3s.

So I got in contact with the e36 owner and it seems we are close to making an agreement at $9500 for the 1997 M3 with 94k miles. The issue is I will need to fly down to Houston (having relatives work for the airlines is awesome) and drive the car back up to Wisconsin this weekend. Is this a stupid idea? Have any of you guys flown 1000+ miles to buy a 16 year old car and drive it back? For reference here is the Craigslist ad, she also sent me a few more photos but overall it looks quite clean.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3939491714.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

So I got in contact with the e36 owner and it seems we are close to making an agreement at $9500 for the 1997 M3 with 94k miles. The issue is I will need to fly down to Houston (having relatives work for the airlines is awesome) and drive the car back up to Wisconsin this weekend. Is this a stupid idea? Have any of you guys flown 1000+ miles to buy a 16 year old car and drive it back? For reference here is the Craigslist ad, she also sent me a few more photos but overall it looks quite clean.

All of us have now do it you jerk.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Popete posted:

Hurry up and buy that beautiful car!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I drove down to Virginia from Michigan to buy a 2G Eclipse you sure as hell better fly down there for that M3 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was just getting a lot of flak talking to my dad about it on the phone last night, he's the kind of guy who would wait 10+ years for the absolute perfect deal to come drive up to his house and then still hesistate. So to him, me flying to Houston and driving back in one weekend sounds insane. But an M3 has been my dream car since middle school so I guess for some people it's hard to relate.

For anyone looking for an e46 M3 this beautiful Laguna Seca Blue 2001 showed up in Washington D.C. this week. Seems like it isn't to bad of a deal and that colour is absolutely gorgeous.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3949296482.html

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 25, 2013