Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

einTier posted:

Bricklink.com is your friend. For the record, that's a smoking deal. If you really have 4483 in a sealed box, that's close to your $400 right there. The cheapest MISB at bricklink is $310. You can probably get $400 at eBay (minus ~15% in Paypal/eBay fees). That Imperial Shuttle isn't the big UCS version that's going for $300+, it's the cheaper one, but it's still worth about $100 MISB.

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the feedback. Just got into this whole scene about six months ago - now to decide whether to open and build them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The_Doctor posted:

I've got all four of the modulars and the Pet Shop may be my favourite, even though it's probably the least visually impressive.

All four? There are eight of them now. I have 4 of them starting with the fire brigade, still need to get the cinema. I also need a place to put it...

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

dangittj posted:

Anybody actually have the Delorean and have any thoughts on it yet?

I know it was supposed to go on sale at comic-con and I thought in Europe on the 18th. Lego.com has it out on Aug 1st in the U.S. I was really excited when they announced it on Cuosoo but the actual model doesn't look quite right. Went from a buy it as soon as possible to questionable.

There was a review posted at Bricklink which I found informative. That hood that seem to be the biggest gripe for a lot of people is made that way to allow transformation between different versions (from the different movies) of the car, which is pretty neat.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

SonicYooth posted:

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the feedback. Just got into this whole scene about six months ago - now to decide whether to open and build them...

I don't have any of the early Star Wars sets, but from what I understand, they're really not very well designed and look vastly inferior to current releases. You've got yourself a pile of valuable sealed boxes, and you can probably get yourself 5x the number of bricks and much better-looking models by selling them.

I'm not one for keeping stuff MISB and keeping it for investment (that urge went out the door when I stopped collecting comics in the mid 90s; now I have a thousand books that aren't really worth anything more than cover price), but even I wouldn't open those boxes and would happily scalp them on bricklink and ebay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SonicYooth posted:

Smart thing to do: sell the unopened sets, then buy opened versions for half the price. Seriously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm not one for keeping stuff MISB and keeping it for investment (that urge went out the door when I stopped collecting comics in the mid 90s; now I have a thousand books that aren't really worth anything more than cover price), but even I wouldn't open those boxes and would happily scalp them on bricklink and ebay.

I'd hang on to the minifig packs at least, assuming one doesn't already have those figures. Just because you never know when you'll need a boba fett.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

xzzy posted:

I'd hang on to the minifig packs at least, assuming one doesn't already have those figures. Just because you never know when you'll need a boba fett.

That would mean unsealing the boxes and dramatically reducing their value. Removing the minifigs drops it even further--half the value of the older Star Wars sets tends to live in the minifigs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

That would mean unsealing the boxes and dramatically reducing their value. Removing the minifigs drops it even further--half the value of the older Star Wars sets tends to live in the minifigs.

I'm aware of that, but if one just wants those parts and the boxes were already open, there's no harm.

(I missed the OP saying that all the boxes are unopened)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

uXs posted:

All four? There are eight of them now. I have 4 of them starting with the fire brigade, still need to get the cinema. I also need a place to put it...

Oh huh, right. I was thinking the available ones, but I don't have the Town Hall either (nor do I want it).

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Smart thing to do: sell the unopened sets, then buy opened versions for half the price. Seriously.

That's a really good idea, thanks! The boxes for the most part look like they just came off the toy store shelf. I did feel kind of bad - the wife of the guy said she had been giving him grief because she wanted their eight month old to be able to grow up and put them together in a few years. Oh well, I guess they'll always make more legos. For the record, I found this by setting up an alert on ifttt.com for the word lego and my area on craigslist. It emailed me and I had responded to him within a minute of him posting the lot.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^
sent

TriggerHappy posted:

Picked up 42009, the 2600 piece mobile crane yesterday when I was running errands and stopped in a Lego Store to see what they had. Spent 4 or 5 hours putting it together and I'm probably 2/3rds of the way done. It's pretty drat impressive so far, and the new(?) red 8T slip gears should be incredibly useful.

Yup, I finished that a week or two ago, its at least as good as 8421 one, unlike the 8053 which appears flimsy and the proportions are weird. I'm planning on ordering a couple dozen of the red gears via lego direct once they are available, since I have plans for a technic device that need sliding gears. I was going to use wormgears but these require a lot less space.
I actually modified my boom slightly, the end of the middle section has these side panels with the wird 1x2 technic pieces which limit the travel when retracting, if you remove those it can retract a bit further.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh huh, right. I was thinking the available ones, but I don't have the Town Hall either (nor do I want it).

Huh? Why the hell not?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

uXs posted:

Huh? Why the hell not?

Honestly, I find the town hall pretty dull. Its main selling point is that it's big and the mayor minifig looks like Adam West. But other than that, it's a big grey block.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No such thing as too many grey bricks. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

xzzy posted:

No such thing as too many grey bricks. :v:

The appropriate smiley for that is :geno:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, I find the town hall pretty dull. Its main selling point is that it's big and the mayor minifig looks like Adam West. But other than that, it's a big grey block.

You're mad. It has 3 floors, of which only the 3rd floor (a meeting room) is perhaps a bit boring. The lower floor is great, and the middle one too. And the roof has the clock thing and a bell. (The fire brigade bell is better but whatever.) And there's an elevator!

As for the outside, the columns next to the door are awesome. And floor 2 and 3 are red/brown bricks, not grey.

No accounting for taste though, so you're entitled to your opinion.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I got a nice size bag of Star Wars Lego from a friend of mine, to bad they are all separated without much set identification. I pulled out some of the more identifiable pieces along with the mini figs, can anybody come up with possible sets from the two pictures by chance?

The three 4x4 plates with the text on them are pretty easy, those are the mini ship designs. I figure Admiral Akbar and General Grievous along with a lot of the clones should help identify some possible sets. The mini figure alone make the bag worth it to me, those will go nice with my existing Star Wars sets but adding a few free sets to the collection would be great.

Edit: Looks like one of the sets is General Grevious Starfighter, trying to figure out where all the clones come from though.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 25, 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Omicron Scorpinae - Model Q6 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Rythe posted:

I got a nice size bag of Star Wars Lego from a friend of mine, to bad they are all separated without much set identification. I pulled out some of the more identifiable pieces along with the mini figs, can anybody come up with possible sets from the two pictures by chance?

The three 4x4 plates with the text on them are pretty easy, those are the mini ship designs. I figure Admiral Akbar and General Grievous along with a lot of the clones should help identify some possible sets. The mini figure alone make the bag worth it to me, those will go nice with my existing Star Wars sets but adding a few free sets to the collection would be great.

Edit: Looks like one of the sets is General Grevious Starfighter, trying to figure out where all the clones come from though.

Could the clone troopers be from LEGO Star Wars Clone Trooper Battle Pack 7913? Some of them are whiting out in your photo, but looks like maybe? Also, Mandalorians are likely from Lego Star Wars 7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack. And That is not Admiral Akbar, it's Nahdar Vebb is from set 8095, General Grievous' Starfighter.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

ltr posted:

Could the clone troopers be from LEGO Star Wars Clone Trooper Battle Pack 7913? Some of them are whiting out in your photo, but looks like maybe? Also, Mandalorians are likely from Lego Star Wars 7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack. And That is not Admiral Akbar, it's Nahdar Vebb is from set 8095, General Grievous' Starfighter.

Good call on the battle packs, that would account for the extra clones and the semi assembled vehicle pieces, thanks a lot for the help. I am about half way through the Starfighter and so far it just appears to be missing some 1x1 studs.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Rythe posted:

I see Sebulba, so you've either got 9675 - Sebulba's pod racer and Tatooine, or 7962 - Anakin's & Sebulba's Podracers. However, looking closer, you've got part 6179pb040, so it has to be Sebulba's pod racer and Tatooine. Based on that, you've also got 9674 - Naboo Starfighter & Naboo and Tie Interceptor and Death Star. I wonder where your planet halves are. They're so big and distinctive I'd think you would have put them in the photo if you'd seen them.

Your Naboo pilot isn't wearing the right head though. It's hard to make out that head, it looks like it has glasses or wrinkles, but I looked through all the "head glasses" "head wrinkles" and "head SW" sections and didn't see it.

The other pieces are a little difficult for easy photo searching, but here's a secret. A lot of LEGO pieces, and especially the big rare ones, are going to have a very small product number embossed on them somewhere. It's usually pretty tiny, and you might need the right light to spot it, but it will be on the underside of the piece. For instance, that cockpit from General Grievous' Starship is going to have the number 87606 somewhere on it. If you're really lucky, it'll have 87606pb01 on it. Once you have that, you can head over to Bricklink. At the top of the page, there's a search field. Change "items for sale" to "catalog items" and then put that number code in. Bricklink will then give you every piece matching that code. From there, you can see what sets that part came in and in what colors. [edit] Looks like they changed some things and this isn't working as well as it did for printed parts.

If you can't find the code, sometimes just describing it in the search field will get you close. For instance, those flat discs with the star wars logo. Put in "2 x 2 round tile" and you'll get a list of every 2 x 2 flat round tile LEGO ever made. That one's not hard to scroll through, and on the third page, you'll find it's 4150ps5 (9 sets) or 4150pb091 (1 set). Since they look a little off centered, they're probably stickers, so it's probably the latter -- and looking at the set it's in, you've got the R2 unit and the V-Wing pilot, so it's almost certainly 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter. That long piece next to General Grievous' cockpit is also from that set.

NOPE Oh wait! Last one, I see Admiral Ackbar! He was only in three sets, and since two of them are fairly rare exclusives, you probably have this set - the 75003 A-wing Starfighter. Oddly, for a character that iconic and that rare, he's not worth much. He's only selling for about $2.50.

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 25, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

ltr posted:

Also, Mandalorians are likely from Lego Star Wars 7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack. And That is not Admiral Akbar, it's Nahdar Vebb is from set 8095, General Grievous' Starfighter.

Man, that'll teach me to read. I saw a Mon Calamari and just assumed it had to be Ackbar. Those Mandalorians only came in two sets. Since you have four of them, and most of your other sets have been relatively small, I think it's highly unlikely you have two Pre Visla's Mandalorian Fighters and instead have the battle pack.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

einTier posted:

I see Sebulba, so you've either got 9675 - Sebulba's pod racer and Tatooine, or 7962 - Anakin's & Sebulba's Podracers. However, looking closer, you've got part 6179pb040, so it has to be Sebulba's pod racer and Tatooine. Based on that, you've also got 9674 - Naboo Starfighter & Naboo and Tie Interceptor and Death Star. I wonder where your planet halves are. They're so big and distinctive I'd think you would have put them in the photo if you'd seen them.

Your Naboo pilot isn't wearing the right head though. It's hard to make out that head, it looks like it has glasses or wrinkles, but I looked through all the "head glasses" "head wrinkles" and "head SW" sections and didn't see it.

The other pieces are a little difficult for easy photo searching, but here's a secret. A lot of LEGO pieces, and especially the big rare ones, are going to have a very small product number embossed on them somewhere. It's usually pretty tiny, and you might need the right light to spot it, but it will be on the underside of the piece. For instance, that cockpit from General Grievous' Starship is going to have the number 87606 somewhere on it. If you're really lucky, it'll have 87606pb01 on it. Once you have that, you can head over to Bricklink. At the top of the page, there's a search field. Change "items for sale" to "catalog items" and then put that number code in. Bricklink will then give you every piece matching that code. From there, you can see what sets that part came in and in what colors. [edit] Looks like they changed some things and this isn't working as well as it did for printed parts.

If you can't find the code, sometimes just describing it in the search field will get you close. For instance, those flat discs with the star wars logo. Put in "2 x 2 round tile" and you'll get a list of every 2 x 2 flat round tile LEGO ever made. That one's not hard to scroll through, and on the third page, you'll find it's 4150ps5 (9 sets) or 4150pb091 (1 set). Since they look a little off centered, they're probably stickers, so it's probably the latter -- and looking at the set it's in, you've got the R2 unit and the V-Wing pilot, so it's almost certainly 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter. That long piece next to General Grievous' cockpit is also from that set.

NOPE Oh wait! Last one, I see Admiral Ackbar! He was only in three sets, and since two of them are fairly rare exclusives, you probably have this set - the 75003 A-wing Starfighter. Oddly, for a character that iconic and that rare, he's not worth much. He's only selling for about $2.50.

That is good information on the product number, I had no idea about that and I get frequent lots of Lego from my local area that have big giant pieces in them that I can not identify. I am going to have to go back into my bulk collection and take out a lot of the bigger, rare pieces and look up what sets they come from.

So far I have the small Naboo fighter, a Tie interceptor and the Subulba Pod racer sets, along with General Grievous Starfighter and two battle packs of clones. I will have to ask my friend where the planets are since they are not in the box. So far it looks like most of the pieces are there from a partial assemble of the 5 sets. Not to bad for $20.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone else around here as fascinated with micro scale stuff as me?

I'd somehow never come across set 8028 (mini tie fighter) in the impulse buy section of a grocery store and couldn't immediately spot how they had put the cockpit together.. so it somehow ended up in my groceries on the conveyor belt!

Turned out it was just two 1x2 bricks stuck together with two 1x2/2x2 l brackets with an axle stuck through the middle, but I still love seeing how this stuff goes together.

Oh well, curiosity earned the company another $3.99! :downs:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

SonicYooth posted:

... I found this by setting up an alert on <b>ifttt.com</b> for the word lego and my area on craigslist. It emailed me and I had responded to him within a minute of him posting the lot.

I should not have discovered this...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, two things. First, I bought this in a charity shop yesterday:

It was only £3.50 ($5), and it's still sealed. Initially I didn't really pay attention to it until I noticed the Lego logo on the box. I've never even heard of ZNAP before now, and I assume it was from that period in the 90s where they were starting to go under, and just throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick.

Two, I made this little Land Rover Discovery Ecto-1, which I'm quite proud of. I rejigged a black version that comes with a horsebox into all white and made a bunch of greebles and lights on top. I want to try and make some little Ghostbusters sticks for the doors at some point. I also made sure it fits in the Fire Station modular... :)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
^^^^ That is totally great. I knew exactly what it was before even looking at your description.

In other news, today, Nick Fury needed a new car:

Nick Fury also needed a new gun:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bonus feature: if he ever needs a speed boost, he can point the gun behind him and pull the trigger.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Was znap compatible to knex or just similar? The sets came out after I stopped collecting lego.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 26, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ika posted:

Was znap compatible to knex or just similar? The sets came out after I stopped collecting lego.

Oh and did you get my mail?

IIRC, Znap was closer to Construx

e: This dude does some neatish things with Construx: http://construxion.tripod.com/
Construx kinda sucked.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 26, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That's possible, I never had any of that as a kid.

E: Ya, it never appeared very versatile, I had lego for building normal stuff, so right angled stuff, and mechano/erector for arbitrary stuff.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sockser posted:

IIRC, Znap was closer to Construx

gently caress, we had a small set of those, it was great but delicate. Also Zaks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohio-Art-1987-Zaks-toys-Building-Playset-1400-Mint-Sealed-/350840382367?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item51afb7639f

That poo poo was awesome, shame the grippy bits on the faces of some of the parts tended to get snapped really easily. In fact, Lego seems really sturdy compared to a lot of construction toys, I guess it's a case of better plastics, good design and less severe forces being involved or something

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 26, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

Construx kinda sucked.

You take that back. Construx ruled.

I had these two sets and a few others when I was a kid. I spent so much time building bad rear end spaceships and stuff. Unlike Lego you weren't worried about playing with these outside in the sandbox. Legos may have more detail and be better quality but being a 7 year old with enough Construx to build a Saturn V literally as tall as I was ruled.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
And nothing could make a Johnny 5 like Construx.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah I mean Construx was cool for making big things quickly, what with the smallest bits being like 4 inches long, but it just wasn't all that versatile and the stuff you made kinda looked like a butt.

OTOH,

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Omicron Scorpinae - Model Q7 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

aaaaaaand 7

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sockser posted:

Construx kinda sucked.

My Claymore-class capital ship begs to differ, good sir. :colbert:

Built it when I was in my early teens, and its still sitting in my room in a corner gathering a lot of dust.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I played with my Construx just as often as I did with my Lego when I was a kid. I think I sold my tub o' Construx recently, although I kept the two space guys (one good, one bad) I had. It was awesome; I could build things so much larger than I could with Lego. A backpack was one of my favorites (so much so I melted a purple canopy piece while wearing it too close to a heater), as was the alt-build that was a giant spaceship wider than a typical hallway. It tended towards fragile builds, although sometimes things got torqued so much that pieces didn't fit well.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just received this for my birthday

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/04/27/review-brick-city-by-warren-elsmore/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Pyroclastic posted:

I played with my Construx just as often as I did with my Lego when I was a kid. I think I sold my tub o' Construx recently, although I kept the two space guys (one good, one bad) I had. It was awesome; I could build things so much larger than I could with Lego. A backpack was one of my favorites (so much so I melted a purple canopy piece while wearing it too close to a heater), as was the alt-build that was a giant spaceship wider than a typical hallway. It tended towards fragile builds, although sometimes things got torqued so much that pieces didn't fit well.

Yeah, I made two wearable gauntlets with Wolverine claws out of Construx, they were awesome.

The little spaceguys and aliens were great fun, as well. Everybody gets a rocket backpack! And all those glow-in-the-dark pieces!

Definitely not as solid as Lego, though.