Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

Portra 400 isn't a slide film, but who shoots anything other than 100 speed slide film anymore?

Exactly, at one point there was a reason to shoot fast slide film that was capable of push processing well and then Kodak released Portra 400 and made obsolete all other fast color film (yes even slides).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress my life. Just got three rolls of arista 400 back. All three are blank. Any idea what went wrong? All the rolls were shot with an ME Super that KEH rated EX.

Edit: poo poo. I specifically asked the rep if they could do B&W, and he was all "yup". Look like they ran C-41 on the film.

:negative: I am so depressed right now.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 21, 2013

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: poo poo. I specifically asked the rep if they could do B&W, and he was all "yup". Look like they ran C-41 on the film.

In that case, make them replace the film and refund you for the processing.
Then learn to do your own B&W; it's easy.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Casu Marzu posted:

gently caress my life. Just got three rolls of arista 400 back. All three are blank. Any idea what went wrong? All the rolls were shot with an ME Super that KEH rated EX.

:negative: I am so depressed right now.

Where did you send it? I suggest you do some reading and get setup to develop your own B&W. It's super easy, cost effective after the first dozen or so rolls, and very hard to gently caress up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Inf posted:

Where did you send it? I suggest you do some reading and get setup to develop your own B&W. It's super easy, cost effective after the first dozen or so rolls, and very hard to gently caress up.

I dropped it off at Walgreens, because the rep there confirmed twice that they did B&W processing. :negative: I learned my lesson. Gonna look into getting some B&W dev stuff this week.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I'll be in Japan in a couple of days and, with the good exchange rate right now, I will hit up the camera shops for some of that Fujifilm while I have the chance. The only bw process film I can find locally nowadays is HP5.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Casu Marzu posted:

I dropped it off at Walgreens, because the rep there confirmed twice that they did B&W processing. :negative: I learned my lesson. Gonna look into getting some B&W dev stuff this week.

Yeah, there's no way anyplace but a specialty photo lab does B&W anymore. C-41 is still done at drugstores and places like Wal-Mart because they just crank it through a minilab that pretty much anyone can operate. B&W is, as far as I know, only done by hand these days.

There ARE some B&W films that process through C-41, i.e.: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=316785&is=USA&Q=&A=details

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you have a choice get XP-2 Super. BW400CN is on an orange base, which can't ever be enlarged. There's no downside to a clear base for B+W.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You can develop XP-2 Super as either B&W or C41 and get good results, so basically they can't gently caress it up.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eh, just gonna clear some room in my bathroom cupboard to keep b&w supplies around and develop everything myself. Any recommendations for brands of developer/stopper?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you have a choice get XP-2 Super. BW400CN is on an orange base, which can't ever be enlarged. There's no downside to a clear base for B+W.

I've printed BW400CN in my darkroom before. I had to adjust the filters for VC paper to get it to look right, though.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Inf posted:

B&W is, as far as I know, only done by hand these days.

There are still a few places running B&W as dip-and-dunk, though most of them are down to two or three runs per week. I think McGreevy's is still doing them every day, but I could be wrong.

Casu Marzu posted:

Eh, just gonna clear some room in my bathroom cupboard to keep b&w supplies around and develop everything myself. Any recommendations for brands of developer/stopper?

Developer:
Rodinal (now Adonal) is traditional, but not everyone likes the look.
HC110 is more neutral and seems to get good results with everything.
Diafine gets a lot of love. Besides being nearly impossible to screw up, it has good grain characteristics and gives you a pretty solid speed boost on your film. You pay for it with a slight loss in contrast. The problem with Diafine is that you don't really have any control with it; with other developers you can adjust the look you get with a particular film by playing with time, temperature, or dilution; Diafine does what it wants and that's what you get.

You can go really far down the rabbit hole of cult developers, trying to find something special, but I think everyone has done at least one of the three above.

Stop: Most people just use a water rinse. A bottle of Kodak Indicator Stop will last you forever if you really feel you need it.

Fixer: Use a non-hardening fixer. There's really very little need for hardening fixers anymore. I use Clayton's, but any rapid fix will work just fine.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Is there a pinhole thread?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bobsledboy posted:

Is there a pinhole thread?

I think there used to be.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Am I interested in a Canon EOS Rebel G? My sister is offering it to me, but it looks like it's a mediocre film SLR. I doubt she has any nice glass for it. I've always used Nikon, so I don't know the Canon lineup at all.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Mr. Powers posted:

Am I interested in a Canon EOS Rebel G? My sister is offering it to me, but it looks like it's a mediocre film SLR. I doubt she has any nice glass for it. I've always used Nikon, so I don't know the Canon lineup at all.

How much is she asking? Cheap film camera is almost always > no film camera.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Dumb newbie questcion: what happens if I shoot 200 speed film in a camera (Leica III) which has dial that only goes to 100? I'm looking to do long exposure shots.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Watermelon City posted:

Dumb newbie questcion: what happens if I shoot 200 speed film in a camera (Leica III) which has dial that only goes to 100? I'm looking to do long exposure shots.

Nothing, the Leica III doesn't have a meter so that dial is a reminder only.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

voodoorootbeer posted:

How much is she asking? Cheap film camera is almost always > no film camera.

$0. I have a Nikon FM + glass and a Zeiss Bullseye + amazing glass already. This would be my only modern film SLR.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Nothing, the Leica III doesn't have a meter so that dial is a reminder only.
Well that makes sense.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Lomography are at it again:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-petzval-portrait-lens/description

Now the want to charge $300+ for a Petzval lens for your Nikon F mount and Cannon EF mount cameras.

I'm still ordering some lenses from surplus shed and making some large format lenses anyway.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Day 3 in Japan for me. I was on my way to a museum in Shinjuku when I stumbled into "Pentax Square". It's a small photo gallery, all shot on Pentax gear of course, and display models of everything in the Pentax lineup, including all the colors on the K and Q series. It seems you can order anything they sell at the store too. They had a few open box items for pretty cheap. I was a bit disappointed that only one outer window display is devoted to Pentax history, with some well loved Asahi Pentax SLR's to gaze upon.

Afterwards I went to the legendary film cooler at Shinjuku Yodobashi Camera and picked up a few rolls of the recently discontinued B&W 135 film. :(

Film Cooler by RW Sinclair, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That... is an impressive amount of film.

I've been shooting Tri-X relatively frequently and I figure I should probably start developing the stuff at home instead of sending it out. What developers would you guys recommend for Tri-X? I typically shoot at box speed or push two stops. I hear Rodinal is good for for contrast and grain (which I'm a fan of), but I don't think anyone sells the stuff locally. Is D76 a good alternative, what kind of results should I expect from it?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

HC-110

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I recommend hunting down some Rodinal if you can. One bottle lasts a long time and pretty much never expires.

Rodinal has a bunch of things going for it, what developer you want depends on which quality you're after.

One-shot/disposable - HC110 is good, and can also be mixed as a reusable developer

Works with everything - D76

Acutance-boosting - Really dilute HC110

Universal/"mystery roll" developing - Diafine

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

aliencowboy posted:

That... is an impressive amount of film.

I've been shooting Tri-X relatively frequently and I figure I should probably start developing the stuff at home instead of sending it out. What developers would you guys recommend for Tri-X? I typically shoot at box speed or push two stops. I hear Rodinal is good for for contrast and grain (which I'm a fan of), but I don't think anyone sells the stuff locally. Is D76 a good alternative, what kind of results should I expect from it?

I shoot mostly Tri-X and FP4 in 120 and use Rodinal for both. The grain can get a bit much if your pushing 35mm, but if you like grain give it a go. HC-110 + Tri-X is the classic combo though, so it's worth trying too.

I have to buy my Rodinal from Freestyle as no one carries it locally and it can only be shipped ground, so that sucks.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It doesn't look like there's any cheap solution to getting Rodinal in Canada, so I guess I'll run with HC-110 and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

aliencowboy posted:

It doesn't look like there's any cheap solution to getting Rodinal in Canada, so I guess I'll run with HC-110 and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

For the record, Rodinal goes by Blazinal in Canada. I haven't bought any recently but I know a few places that at least used to carry it. Here's one place: http://www.filmplus.ca/film.html

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Spedman posted:

Lomography are at it again:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-petzval-portrait-lens/description

Now the want to charge $300+ for a Petzval lens for your Nikon F mount and Cannon EF mount cameras.

I'm still ordering some lenses from surplus shed and making some large format lenses anyway.

God I didn't need to know about surplus shed, I've already have enough unfinished projects as it is, but this place is full to the brim of "Oh I could do something with that" stuff...

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

What can I apply to the DX coding on film canisters to remove conductivity? Nail polish?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Watermelon City posted:

What can I apply to the DX coding on film canisters to remove conductivity? Nail polish?

Yup.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Tape works well too, like masking tape or whatever.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Another Rodinal question: it sounds like Rodinal gives no fucks as to how much you push the film or what kind of film it is so if I throw a mixed batch of films at different exposures in a tank and let it sit for a few hours, it'll be good to go?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

HPL posted:

Another Rodinal question: it sounds like Rodinal gives no fucks as to how much you push the film or what kind of film it is so if I throw a mixed batch of films at different exposures in a tank and let it sit for a few hours, it'll be good to go?

Yeah, if you're doing stand development you can just mix films. If you're doing a big push, like 3+ stops you may want to add more time though. The negatives come out flat, but it's usually not too much trouble to add contrast.

Rodinal stand is a good way to develop mystery film as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

My usual mystery formula is 1:100 for 1h. If I know I'm going to push 1 stop, I do it for 1:30, 2 stops is 2h.

Rodinal 1:100 for 1h pretty much develops any film at normal speed.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Good to hear. I am super behind on film developing and I need something where I can do things in big batches instead of one roll with one recipe and two rolls with another etc etc.

So if I go at, say, 1:100 and leave it for 3 hours, that should cover my bases?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

No, if you're shooting box speed, then 1hr, but if you're pushing anything then do them separately for the times like Paul MaudDib posted.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

3 hours is a very strong push.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

HPL posted:

Tape works well too, like masking tape or whatever.
So what if I don't tell the photo lab what I've done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Paul MaudDib posted:

My usual mystery formula is 1:100 for 1h. If I know I'm going to push 1 stop, I do it for 1:30, 2 stops is 2h.

Rodinal 1:100 for 1h pretty much develops any film at normal speed.

You do any kind of movement/mixing when standing or just the small bit at the beginning to get air bubbles out?