Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

You can usually see why people will not accept marriages in tooltips. It is also helpful to see who your family is and who you might inherit from. (As the leader of Dublin at the second start date, you are in position to inherit a county to your south when your father dies.) You should also fabricate claims, especially on places that would give you the ability to create duchies which would give you claims on even more counties, etc. You start with Kildare and work out from there.

Marriage isn't the only option. In fact, it's the most restricted.

Hey, thanks for the information. :)

I was pleased as punch when I inherited Leinster. I was less pleased when I died and then my nephew inherited it.

Because of that, though, my heir did have a claim on Leinster. I also forged a claim in Ossory. However, I was never in a position where I had even close to the military might to secure those places for myself and I was at a total loss to forge alliances to help me.

When I try again tonight I'll start with Kildare and see what happens. I'm taking for granted that there's a learning curve in this game, so I'm trying not to get frustrated or quit. There's a sweet game hidden under all this stuff I'm trying to figure out. I just hope I don't ask too many stupid questions along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Cream_Filling posted:

So what's the strategy for trying to unify two kingdoms with brother kings (both in my dynasty)? Or is there no real strategy? I want to make some empires.

Well, it depends on how the brothers gained their territories. You could potentially gain both if you set your succession laws to seniority and eventually "become" your brother (like the silly way to play the Karlings in 867). Assassinations can work depending on how claims/inheritances work (the Jimenas in 1066).

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
If you've got a daughter or son you're looking to marry for claims purposes or you've found that perfect unmarried genius Grey Eminence you want to marry into your dynasty but the AI won't accept your proposals, there's another trick you can try.

Instead of trying to Arrange Marriage/Betrothal, instead try to invite the person to your court. Once they're in your court, they'll be forced to accept whatever marriage you demand--even if they're an heir to a duchy and you want to marry them matrilineally to a daughter. You probably won't be able to entice characters who are serving on a council, but heirs who somehow ended up with a claim on their titles will often be anxious to press them early, and a little gold can tempt a random courtier past many religious or cultural hesitations on joining your court.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

YorexTheMad posted:

If you've got a daughter or son you're looking to marry for claims purposes or you've found that perfect unmarried genius Grey Eminence you want to marry into your dynasty but the AI won't accept your proposals, there's another trick you can try.

Instead of trying to Arrange Marriage/Betrothal, instead try to invite the person to your court. Once they're in your court, they'll be forced to accept whatever marriage you demand--even if they're an heir to a duchy and you want to marry them matrilineally to a daughter. You probably won't be able to entice characters who are serving on a council, but heirs who somehow ended up with a claim on their titles will often be anxious to press them early, and a little gold can tempt a random courtier past many religious or cultural hesitations on joining your court.

Ohohoho. This is good to know.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sam. posted:

The last province, the null one, has to be moved up above the sea provinces. You can't have any land after sea_starts. max_provinces has to be the last province plus 1. Make sure provinces.bmp is saved as a 24-bit bitmap without color space information (if you're using GIMP, "do not write color space information" in the export dialog should be checked).

But Null isn't actually in the map at all. It's just renamed to N. to mark the end of provinces actually on the map, so that whenever I see Null in the Definitions file I know I'll have reached the max_provinces point in the list. I mean, vanilla CK2 lists hundreds (thousands? Never bothered to count) of provinces beyond max_provinces in its own definitions file, so having a Null province at the end of the defined provinces list should've been fine. Right?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jpmeyer posted:

Well, it depends on how the brothers gained their territories. You could potentially gain both if you set your succession laws to seniority and eventually "become" your brother (like the silly way to play the Karlings in 867). Assassinations can work depending on how claims/inheritances work (the Jimenas in 1066).

Hm well I married off my main heir to the last female heir of a nearby kingdom and then killed everyone that inherits above her, hoping that their child would then be heir to both kingdoms. But I forgot that my main heir already had a pre-existing son from a previous marriage so now my kingdom goes to the son and the other kingdom goes to the new child of the now sitting queen.

Basically I hosed up because I forgot that marriage doesn't place your previous children into the line of succession.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Evil Sagan posted:

Ohohoho. This is good to know.

Case-in-point: Last game I played as Norse, some far-off Tengri count had a Genius 16 year old all-20+ random courtier woman he wouldn't let marry my heir because she "must not marry an infidel." Instead, I send the genius lady 20 gold directly and invite her, she happily accepts, and gets thrown into marriage the second she arrives.

Naturally, she died childless at age 20 of natural causes, but still.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

YorexTheMad posted:

Case-in-point: Last game I played as Norse, some far-off Tengri count had a Genius 16 year old all-20+ random courtier woman he wouldn't let marry my heir because she "must not marry an infidel." Instead, I send the genius lady 20 gold directly and invite her, she happily accepts, and gets thrown into marriage the second she arrives.

Naturally, she died childless at age 20 of natural causes, but still.

You probably could have requested her as a concubine and then set her aside. If their rulers religion is pagan they pretty much always accept unless the woman is closely related or highly ranked.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

SpRahl posted:

You probably could have requested her as a concubine and then set her aside. If their rulers religion is pagan they pretty much always accept unless the woman is closely related or highly ranked.

Do you even have to set them aside? I think I've gone and immediately married concubines after my wife's died. (of completely natural causes unrelated to the fact that we hated eachother and I fell in love with a concubine)

Edit: Oh, durr, heir. Ignore me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cream_Filling posted:

Hm well I married off my main heir to the last female heir of a nearby kingdom and then killed everyone that inherits above her, hoping that their child would then be heir to both kingdoms. But I forgot that my main heir already had a pre-existing son from a previous marriage so now my kingdom goes to the son and the other kingdom goes to the new child of the now sitting queen.

Basically I hosed up because I forgot that marriage doesn't place your previous children into the line of succession.

Not if the first son falls down the stairs a few times.

Just sayin'. :shobon:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fintilgin posted:

Not if the first son falls down the stairs a few times.

Just sayin'. :shobon:

I believe you can't assassinate your own kids in vanilla CK. And also he's a genius with crazy stats. I was just exploring if there's any ways to kill the younger ones instead. Also, how do you inspect the succession laws of other kingdoms? Or do you just have to guess?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe you can't assassinate your own kids in vanilla CK. And also he's a genius with crazy stats. I was just exploring if there's any ways to kill the younger ones instead. Also, how do you inspect the succession laws of other kingdoms? Or do you just have to guess?

You can pay an assassin to try to kill your kids in vanilla, you just cant plot to assassinate them.

And to see other kingdoms succession laws just go to the character that owns the title and mouse over the "shield" representing the title your curious about.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I took a little trip on my boat with a few friends:

That was a fun year. Or two, didn't keep count. In fact, it wasn't very fun. Micromanaging a fleet and two armies day by day while I keep track of two invading armies in a three way war is stressful.

A question for the thread: Do my nobles pay anything if I keep levies up? And do they get anything when I raid with their troops? They guy who provided the boats and the troops is sitting pretty at 200 gold, but I don't know whether it's because he got some of the loot from the raid.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Fat Samurai posted:

A question for the thread: Do my nobles pay anything if I keep levies up? And do they get anything when I raid with their troops? They guy who provided the boats and the troops is sitting pretty at 200 gold, but I don't know whether it's because he got some of the loot from the raid.

You have to pay some maintenance when your liege raises your troops (unless something has changed in vanilla) but Norse don't have the opinion malus from raised levies until they reform. All the raiding gold and prestige should go to whoever raised the levies, i.e. you.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Decadence is a very bad thing to let grow too large. Perhaps instead of awarding each one of my sons a Kingdom in my Empire, I should have just killed off all but my family line and culled any sons past three (figuring at worst one in three is acceptable and not a moron).

King of Everything was always meant to be the goal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, if you're playing vanilla Muslims you basically have to murder every male in your family because the AI can't manage decadence and will get you up to 100% sooner or later if any of them hold land. It's dumb and the reason why CK2+ removed most of the decadence system.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anybody have any tips for Shattered World? Am I right in thinking that there isn't much I can do in the first 30-50 years while all the original rulers are still in place and no one's going through inheritance problems or anything like that yet? Eventually gaining the duchy and kingdom that I'm in seem like the obvious short/long term goals, but I'm not quite sure what the best way to go about that is at the beginning since there aren't just dozens of claimants on everything or a ton of third/fourth sons that I can wed my daughters matrilinearly to.

Do I just have to sit back and wait for my chancellor to fabricate a claim, or is there some way to force more conflict early on?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

VDay posted:

Do I just have to sit back and wait for my chancellor to fabricate a claim, or is there some way to force more conflict early on?

Assuming the same rules apply: Be Norse. Raid for money, subjugate your neighbours. Repeat as needed.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So what am I supposed to do about pagans? I'm playing as a Russian duke/grand prince and I've got these pagans next to but I can't seem to declare a holy war on them... I tried sending my bishop over to convert them but they put him jail. This is Project Balance if that makes a difference.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
I'm trying out a republic for the first time and I'm really, really bad at it. I'm doing fine upgrading holdings and such, but the second I raise any levies (including only my personal ones) my monthly income immediately drops by about -200 ducats/month so I can't ever be at war for more than about a month at a time. How do I not go instantly bankrupt during wars?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Is there any way my catholic Cornwall start in 867 can turn pagan norse, besides using ruler designer? What are the ways I can do this? Thanks.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

maev posted:

Is there any way my catholic Cornwall start in 867 can turn pagan norse, besides using ruler designer? What are the ways I can do this? Thanks.

Have your heir educated by someone of Norse religion, otherwise I don't think so

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

duralict posted:

I'm trying out a republic for the first time and I'm really, really bad at it. I'm doing fine upgrading holdings and such, but the second I raise any levies (including only my personal ones) my monthly income immediately drops by about -200 ducats/month so I can't ever be at war for more than about a month at a time. How do I not go instantly bankrupt during wars?

Are you accidentally raising boats too?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

Are you accidentally raising boats too?

I have to raise boats in order to get the armies anywhere (I'm playing Venice). Is that what's costing so much?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

duralict posted:

I have to raise boats in order to get the armies anywhere (I'm playing Venice). Is that what's costing so much?

Yeah boats cost a shitload. Note that Republics tend to get a billion more ships than they need to -- it's 100 troops to each boat, so disband any beyond what you would need to actually carry your troops. Also your vassals' ship levies cost nothing to you in maintenence so you can probably just raise theirs and not your own. If you want to see how much they're costing, click your flag in the top left (next to your portrait, the same screen where you change your primary title) and it'll tell you just how much they cost. Likelihood is that they're the issue, especially as republics have pretty tiny troop levies at the start, so they're probably not it.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks, I had no idea that was even a thing. While I'm asking about stuff, why doesn't the Designated Heir title seem to do anything? I gave it to a genius nephew but a random brother of mine is listed on the Republic tab as my heir, and my oldest son is listed as my heir on my character's page. Why aren't all three of them the guy I gave the title to?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Sindai posted:

Yeah, if you're playing vanilla Muslims you basically have to murder every male in your family because the AI can't manage decadence and will get you up to 100% sooner or later if any of them hold land. It's dumb and the reason why CK2+ removed most of the decadence system.

Okay, so basically go for one Emperor ruler of all that is with his great might working hard to max out legalism.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

You also get a massive yearly decrease in decadance if you demnse is lower than your max size. If you only hold one county with a max of like 6 or so you can mostly ignore decadance. Although the best way is just to kill your sons and imprison your brothers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Fat Samurai posted:

I took a little trip on my boat with a few friends:

That was a fun year. Or two, didn't keep count. In fact, it wasn't very fun. Micromanaging a fleet and two armies day by day while I keep track of two invading armies in a three way war is stressful.

I got about twice this the last time I went raiding. Here was the situation:

HRE Declared holy war on a fellow norseman. I offered to join the war, but by the time I got my 30,000 troops together, he had already lost. Not wanting to lose face for my men, I decide to do some light raiding. SUDDENLY, the Islamic ruler of all of France and Spain dies, and his realm fractures in a huge civil war. I spend the next several years rampaging vikings from France down to the north coast of Spain, and then also Mayorca and Menorca after the empire reasserts itself, because, hey, why not?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Hmm so my Norse game came to an end when the king of Norway converted to Catholicism and took most of his vassals with him. A few months shy of beating him to install the largest land owning Norse vassal as king was rendered moot when he accepted the current kings offer to convert.

And so my attempt to play as a pagan turned into a regular, boring build myself up from a small count style of game. Guess I'll start again and this time I'm murdering anyone who converts. Can't even raid once your leige is no longer pagan.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

CK2+ here: Is every independent muslim ruler in the 1066 start date supposed to be a theocracy?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Sagan posted:

Hey, thanks for the information. :)

I was pleased as punch when I inherited Leinster. I was less pleased when I died and then my nephew inherited it.

Pay attention to your laws for inheriting. Gavelkind is kinda terrible.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Question, sometimes a guy I'm attacking will surrender and I won't get control of his lands/county. Why is that and can I stop it from happening?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If he's offering white peace then simply refuse.

If there's another factor going on like a mysterious death, or youre trying to fight a rebel who then peaces out which his liege, then no.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sweeper posted:

Question, sometimes a guy I'm attacking will surrender and I won't get control of his lands/county. Why is that and can I stop it from happening?

Is someone else sieging his territory at the same time, as part of a different war? Depending on the casus belli you used, you won't get control of counties/baronies which neither you nor the war target has control over.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Pay attention to your laws for inheriting. Gavelkind is kinda terrible.

Jesus, you weren't loving kidding.

I'm doing my second Dublin playthrough and still as baffled as I was before. I inherited Leinster, as expected, and as before my dead brother's son stands to inherit it when I die. With gavelkind, wouldn't it go to my 2nd son? Of course, I could just give it to my second son now, but that doesn't really feel much closer to keeping it for myself than just letting my rotten nephew have it. How the heck do I keep Leinster long enough to grab Ossory and form the Duchy of Leinster? For that matter, how do I grab Ossory? I could forge a claim (which takes forever) but then somehow I'd have to summon an incredible military might or count on the various people I have alliances with to hold up their end of a bargain, despite their distance and their seemingly random intent to hold to their obligations.

I've done the tutorials but I'm still at a loss. I can't tell if I need to be playing a longer game or if I'm just not using my immediate resources to full effect. :shrug:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sweeper posted:

"Guys war isn't working, fix it :v:"

Can you provide a little more context, please?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Evil Sagan posted:

Jesus, you weren't loving kidding.

I'm doing my second Dublin playthrough and still as baffled as I was before. I inherited Leinster, as expected, and as before my dead brother's son stands to inherit it when I die. With gavelkind, wouldn't it go to my 2nd son? Of course, I could just give it to my second son now, but that doesn't really feel much closer to keeping it for myself than just letting my rotten nephew have it. How the heck do I keep Leinster long enough to grab Ossory and form the Duchy of Leinster? For that matter, how do I grab Ossory? I could forge a claim (which takes forever) but then somehow I'd have to summon an incredible military might or count on the various people I have alliances with to hold up their end of a bargain, despite their distance and their seemingly random intent to hold to their obligations.

I've done the tutorials but I'm still at a loss. I can't tell if I need to be playing a longer game or if I'm just not using my immediate resources to full effect. :shrug:

The first thing to do is to change gavelkind as soon as loving possible.

Hire mercenaries to fight your battles early on. You will have to save up money for awhile to do this, and make sure you can pay them for a few months as well otherwise they'll probably turn hostile.

You can (a) forge a claim or (b) invite a claimant to your court, give them a vassal title (obviously this doesn't work when you are that small, but it will later) and then press their claims.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 25, 2013

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Zurai posted:

Is someone else sieging his territory at the same time, as part of a different war? Depending on the casus belli you used, you won't get control of counties/baronies which neither you nor the war target has control over.

I think it was a casus belli issue, I guess I should read those more carefully and not just look at the flashing things on the map :v:

Can I attack a guy for multiple claims at a time? I have this one guy who has a few areas I want, but every time I attack and take one there is a treaty in place meaning I can't do it for another 10 years or something. Like if I am trying to become king of Ireland, could I press claims to the last couple counties at the same time?

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Sweeper posted:

Can I attack a guy for multiple claims at a time? I have this one guy who has a few areas I want, but every time I attack and take one there is a treaty in place meaning I can't do it for another 10 years or something. Like if I am trying to become king of Ireland, could I press claims to the last couple counties at the same time?

If you personally have claims on multiple counties/duchies/kingdoms that your target owns, then you can press them all at once. When looking at your options for war, there should be an option titles "press all claims".

• Locked thread