Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Will anyone be attending PAX Prime? I am organizing a goon-meet but if we can get a few cosplay thread goons together that could be a fun photoshoot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Red Robin Hood posted:

Will anyone be attending PAX Prime? I am organizing a goon-meet but if we can get a few cosplay thread goons together that could be a fun photoshoot!

I will be there. I am still deciding how much I want to wear there I am trying to get my FFXIV archer set done for it though I know that I want to wear that there. What are you planning to bring?

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
I'll be there :)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

LadyRavenWaves posted:

I will be there. I am still deciding how much I want to wear there I am trying to get my FFXIV archer set done for it though I know that I want to wear that there. What are you planning to bring?

I'll be in my Stormtrooper. Haven't decided which days I'll be suited up but last year was a blast. I got to test some Xbox 360 dance game in armor and dance to some Klezmer music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5HPMmZycz0

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81xMqKYAf7Q

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Working with my girlfriend to build her Tardis Umbrella a bit more. Adding a ton of those Doctor who circle glyph and ontop where not one will really see is a few scenes of the Tardis flying around some scenes. And since both me and her love Star Trek we made sure to have the Tardis flying with the Enterprise.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
That thing is gorgeous. I love the TARDIS with the Enterprise. :)

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
One last thing for today. My three pounds of Jelly babies came in. Cause how can I be the Fourth Doctor without offering a jelly baby?

Thank you for the compliment. We have been working pretty hard on it. The only part I'm nervous about right now is making sure we fix it to the stick pretty strongly so it doesn't snap or something like that.

EDIT: And my glasses came. Thinking about getting some leather cord and wrapping it around the silver to make the lenses look a bit less mass produced.

Throb Robinson fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 19, 2013

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Working on Otakon stuff. Made these monobear hair accessories for my Junko cosplay today!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Some more progress on the Head / Chin areas. Managed to get them sanded down to about what I wanted, and I think they're about 90% done. I'd love to get some military or industrial styled decals to apply to make it look more technical, and I think I'll probably be doing a bit more detail work, but overall this is looking pretty piiiiiimp.

Still haven't started on the neck though. That's going to be a huge bitch.

Did a little makeup test here - I'll probably change the design a bit, this was just a quick test run. Will probably color the bottom lip as well, a la Raiden.

And finally, a quick 5 minute gimp hackjob so see what the whole thing would look like with some contacts, which I'm having trouble trying to track down in Korea.

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013

McPantserton posted:

Your pictures aren't working for me but were you posted in the other cosplay thread for Natsu? If so, killer costume :respek: And props for future Hilde, the only reason I'm not planning SCV Hilde is because the idea of printing a whole new banner after how long my last one took sounded sort of horrible to me. :gonk: (Plus I think I'm currently booked out through this time next year with other projects, wee!)

Thanks :3: Your Hilde / group is amazing. I apologize in advance for all the questions on armor making I'm going to have for you / the rest of the forum. I'm sitting on tons of worbla to use for her I'm just waiting to finish Maya. Then I'm putting all other projects on hold till shes done. I hear you on early booking I've got about 6 projects planned once shes done.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Lights are fixed! I need to get this wrapped up and sent off to Chrome! Hopefully tomorrow.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

:stare:
That looks great, dude! poo poo, who am I kidding, everything on this page looks absolutely awesome.

As for myself, my metro cop helmet is basically done. Soon I'll be ordering molding and casting supplies from SmoothOn and Operation Replicate will commence! :derp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-0S2GmBbFw

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Rubber Slug posted:

:stare:
That looks great, dude! poo poo, who am I kidding, everything on this page looks absolutely awesome.

As for myself, my metro cop helmet is basically done. Soon I'll be ordering molding and casting supplies from SmoothOn and Operation Replicate will commence! :derp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-0S2GmBbFw

Video is private :(

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Whoops, thanks for mentioning that!

Also, I'd totally be at PAX Prime, but the tickets sold out before I even knew they were on sale. :(

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
WOOOOOO the helmet is ready to go off for chrome, I sent the "i'm ready email" to the chrome shop and once they get back to me I will send it off (hopefully this monday/tuesday).

Pictures:

finished up the corner pieces (off and lit up respectively):

Gloves - just need to smooth off the edges and then prime it and send it off to chroming

Test fitting the electronics before being "done" with the helmet:

And another new pattern:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

duros posted:

Amazing helmet.

Is amazing. Your hard work is really showing.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Rubber Slug posted:

Whoops, thanks for mentioning that!

Also, I'd totally be at PAX Prime, but the tickets sold out before I even knew they were on sale. :(

I've got one 4-day ticket left. We could work something out... you've already PMed me but shoot me an email: redrobinhood.sa@gmail.com

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Fly away helmet! I shall see you again in 3-4 weeks.

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013
More updates on my Maya shield. I'm going to cover the light with worbla so it looks like the light is hexagonal. Extra details will be with worbla as well. I wanna paint this so bad it hurts, but I need some advice. I've painted with spray paint before it always rubs off on stuff. Is there a material I can use as like a top coat? I'm gonna hit the whole thing with primer before I paint which is something I have neglected to do in the past.

Also duros your daft pink helmet blows my mind.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

NorseDanceParty posted:

More updates on my Maya shield. I'm going to cover the light with worbla so it looks like the light is hexagonal. Extra details will be with worbla as well. I wanna paint this so bad it hurts, but I need some advice. I've painted with spray paint before it always rubs off on stuff. Is there a material I can use as like a top coat? I'm gonna hit the whole thing with primer before I paint which is something I have neglected to do in the past.

Krylon has a matte clear coat that Michael's sells, and you can find gloss clear coat spray pretty much anywhere. Rustoleum wet-sandable automobile primer is the best paint primer I've ever used, I think it gives a better finish (and better adhesion for your paint) than normal primer.

Also thank you for introducing me to Worbla, I've never heard of it before and now I'm scrambling to find some for my Spidey eyes before the Chicago con.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
My cosplay for FanExpo 2013 is coming along nicely, I feel. This is a work in progress. Some parts were bought, and others were made.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

The Archaic posted:

My cosplay for FanExpo 2013 is coming along nicely, I feel. This is a work in progress. Some parts were bought, and others were made.

Looking good! I kind of like it in the jeans. Casual Friday Captain America.

(what's the name of the cartoon your icon is from? I know it is Avengers, but I can't remember the full title)

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

four lean hounds posted:

Looking good! I kind of like it in the jeans. Casual Friday Captain America.

(what's the name of the cartoon your icon is from? I know it is Avengers, but I can't remember the full title)

Ultimate Spiderman.

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013

Slim Killington posted:

Krylon has a matte clear coat that Michael's sells, and you can find gloss clear coat spray pretty much anywhere. Rustoleum wet-sandable automobile primer is the best paint primer I've ever used, I think it gives a better finish (and better adhesion for your paint) than normal primer.

Also thank you for introducing me to Worbla, I've never heard of it before and now I'm scrambling to find some for my Spidey eyes before the Chicago con.

Are you trying to make the eyes see through? Worbla is opaque thermoplastic that is often used for making armor. I order mine through Yaya Han's website but it takes about a month. Cosplaysupplies carries it as well.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
My plan for the Spidey eyes is to cut the eye shape out of something flexibly rigid, like thin EVA, then remove the inside in the same shape leaving a 1/2" of material or so (if that makes sense). Then stretch mosquito net over the shape, affix, and affix that entire eye assembly to the mask.

edit: I'll essentially be making frames, similar to this:

Worbla seemed like a better option than anything else I was considering because it looks like it will hold shape better. This is my first experience with costuming of any kind, so I'm basically experimenting as I go.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 25, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Gun!

Blank's made from MDF layers, lovingly cut out on a scroll saw by yours truly. Thing's going to be awesome once we vacform it!

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So one thing that I'm having a hell of a time finding is a Tron Identity Disc. Disney released a "deluxe" version, with lights and stuff, but they're no longer made. To top it off, the Kevin Flynn version is white - which is exactly what I need. Except they range from $130 (stock) -> $300 (modded).

So I'm trying to come up with some other method of making a disc. I *have* found a papercraft model, but it's a little too simple. I was thinking of a ring of styrene, with a couple of grooves in it, as the base. Put EL wire in the grooves, and build up the ring a bit.

Edit: I wonder how feasible it would be to repaint a black disc. Because those are a lot cheaper.

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 25, 2013

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Quick 30 minute icon for the iOS app to control everything.

Tried to make it feel kinda iOS 7ish (followed their crazy grid). Pretty happy with everything but the LED representations... I can do better maybe when it is not 1:30am.

edit: updated it a bit

duros fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 26, 2013

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

duros posted:

Quick 30 minute icon for the iOS app to control everything.

Tried to make it feel kinda iOS 7ish (followed their crazy grid). Pretty happy with everything but the LED representations... I can do better maybe when it is not 1:30am.

That's a pretty awesome logo, and project in general.

shoelace
Jul 25, 2013
It's nothing on the level of some of the stuff in this thread, but I've been working on the Zora Armour from Twilight Princess and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far.
I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing here so if anybody notices anything that looks off or like it could be done in a less dumb way, let me know!

Bracers

Helmet pieces so far

Master Sword and some of the many, many scales I'll be cutting out for the foreseeable future

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

shoelace posted:

It's nothing on the level of some of the stuff in this thread, but I've been working on the Zora Armour from Twilight Princess and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far.
I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing here so if anybody notices anything that looks off or like it could be done in a less dumb way, let me know!

Bracers

Helmet pieces so far

Master Sword and some of the many, many scales I'll be cutting out for the foreseeable future

You shut your mouth those are awesome!! I am really giddy to see this all finished.

Man I need to quit being lazy and sew. I was working on Sylvanas so long though I think I might have forgotten how to. I do have some simple armor stuff to make with my worbla sheets though. Also I need to finish working on Nayru's Lyre and stitching on the millions of pearls to her dress. Why do I choose outfits like this?

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Edit: wrong thread.

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 26, 2013

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, this is rad.

You would need a microphone or some other input somewhere, but it'd be cool if you could make the LEDs bounce to the ambient sound like an audio level meter.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

deoju posted:

Holy poo poo, this is rad.

You would need a microphone or some other input somewhere, but it'd be cool if you could make the LEDs bounce to the ambient sound like an audio level meter.

Thanks!

We have a lot of really insane stupid ideas for v2 of the software/hardware. The microphone one is way up there with things I was to do!

Also have plans for a game of pong that could then be controlled by two iphones connected over bluetooth.

Updates: Creation'n'Chrome received my package today and are starting the process of making shiny :)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Got caught up on this thread recently and it's inspired me to start working on a project I've been wanting to do for a while. That is to build a RIG suit from a Dead Space game. I don't have any cosplay experience at all but I do have experience with 3D printing/design, tailoring of military related goods like packs and pouches, and do some advanced scale modeling work so I am hoping all those skills will serve me well. I decided to go with John Carver's Spec Ops Suit from Dead Space 3 mostly because I like the military styling a of it a lot more than most of Isaac's suits and it's much less complicated than say an Engineering RIG. That and I'm a bit close to Carver's stockiness in size.

I spent the last couple of nights designing parts for the chest armor/hemlet faceplate carrier/computer thing.

There's about 16 parts total in that assembly and it's hollow so I can put stuff in it in the future. I just have to prep the individual parts for printing and print them which probably will take a couple of days if there's no hangups.

I'm expecting the helmet will be the most difficult part because I have a weird shaped head, but I am planning to make a custom mannequin head with packing tape that was mentioned in the thread a couple of times.

I'd like to do some lighting in the suit but I have zero experience with circuitry. I'm not looking for anything as fancy as duros' awesome helmet but if anyone could throw me some good resources to read up on, I'd appreciate it.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

That's awesome. Do you have easy access to 3d printers? Seems like it'd be really expensive to print out more than a couple small parts of a costume. Regarding lighting, the impression I've gotten is that wiring up a few LEDs to a battery and a switch is actually one of the easiest things you can do to a costume, electrically. There's a ton of tutorials, including a few on YouTube that seem to cover it pretty well. I haven't gotten to that stage of my costume yet though, so I don't know which is the best one.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I've got a consumer printer here at home. The parts will come out rough and require finishing, but not any more than any other method I've seen in this thread. Plastic isn't very expensive and I've even got a machine from a Goon-run kickstarter that allows me to make my own filament, dropping the price down to like 20% of what you'd buy online. You really aren't using a lot unless you're printing everything at 100% infill. Something like 30-50% provides more than enough rigidity for most things. I'd be really surprised if in total everything I print for this project came out to be heavier than half a kilogram.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Faltion posted:

I've got a consumer printer here at home. The parts will come out rough and require finishing, but not any more than any other method I've seen in this thread. Plastic isn't very expensive and I've even got a machine from a Goon-run kickstarter that allows me to make my own filament, dropping the price down to like 20% of what you'd buy online. You really aren't using a lot unless you're printing everything at 100% infill. Something like 30-50% provides more than enough rigidity for most things. I'd be really surprised if in total everything I print for this project came out to be heavier than half a kilogram.

I would suggest making molds after of the smoothed printed plastic. From everyone I have talked to who has done the 3d printed route, the pieces are really brittle and snap in everyday wear and tear.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
That's odd. Printing in ABS at high resolution (.1mm or .15mm) and higher infill has created me some parts that will likely outlast me. I have had a few failures with connective parts being too thin but that sort of thing can be solved with better engineering. I could see a lot of failures using a lower resolution or weaker material like PLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I found out today that a different spray paint was MUCH shinier than what I was using. the Krylon brilliant silver comes out that silver they use in the tron pics. So I had to remove the visor, and remask and repaint the helmet. Looks a LOT better. I just have to work on the gloves now.

I saw a suggestion to use a piece of 1" PVC pipe and cut all the pieces out of that, but I'm not happy with how thick they are. I think I'll go back to using the thick styrene I used for the back of the hand.