Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Zookey64 posted:

Afterwards if it goes well I would really like to do something like put it up on Amazon maybe or what not. All the pictures were taken by my wife and myself. It only has about 11 days left, I was just having a real hard time trying to figure out where to post it to get some attention, so anything that might help it out, even just spreading the word would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

I think you're overestimating the appeal of this product, and that's perfectly fine. The best part about Kickstarter isn't getting the money: it's gauging the interest before you've spent a dime. If you've done your best on the campaign and promotion, then there's no reason to fret. If it makes it, cool: fire up those Chinese printing presses. If it doesn't make it, then you're no worse off. Imagine if you had printed 10,000 of these beforehand and they rotted in a public storage locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjectTrinity
Oct 12, 2012

Because we get things done.
Hello, everyone!

I finally decided to try my hand at the Kickstarter for our team's 3D project called "The Perjurer OVA". It's a retelling of the original sprite series that aired on Youtube around 3 years ago, only with a bigger team and 3 years of experience. (And what a laughably noticeable difference it makes!) It's a $20k campaign for a 20-minute film (more if stretch goals are met). No contribution goes unrewarded - no reward diluting our gratitude. (or finances. Heh) In the interests of avoiding aggravation via reposting the entire campaign on this post (basically), I'll leave things as text-only and supply the link down below.

The Campaign

Quick FAQ:

What is The Perjurer About, Exactly?

A very recent curse has plagued the land, causing certain people to take the bonds they've formed with their loved ones and feed off it in order to live. By choosing to do so however, their victim dies the at that very moment. Because of the state of affairs, every Perjurer learns early on that they have to go cold or die. In the 2D series, we saw a variety of ways a Perjurer deals with their affliction. In the 3D series however, it's more of a psychological battle between two Perjurers as they try to constantly outsmart the increasingly hostile detective, Fubre.

*Pending Question*

==

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, everyone!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

ProjectTrinity posted:

Hello, everyone!

I finally decided to try my hand at the Kickstarter for our team's 3D project called "The Perjurer OVA". It's a retelling of the original sprite series that aired on Youtube around 3 years ago, only with a bigger team and 3 years of experience. (And what a laughably noticeable difference it makes!) It's a $20k campaign for a 20-minute film (more if stretch goals are met). No contribution goes unrewarded - no reward diluting our gratitude. (or finances. Heh) In the interests of avoiding aggravation via reposting the entire campaign on this post (basically), I'll leave things as text-only and supply the link down below.

The Campaign

I had to google "OVA". Is that a meaningful identifier in anime communities?

You went with a longer than average campaign: is that to correspond to a marketing strategy? It's not intuitive, but the research tends to point to shorter campaigns being more successful.

I'm not your audience, but the animation and artwork aren't exciting. The interrogation room looks incomplete and untextured. Even if that room was perfectly sterile and flat, it still needs something to signal that it was an aesthetic choice, not an unfinished box. The same could be said for the other scenes too.

When you're offering something for people to see, it will either turn them on or turn them off. This turns me off. I think you would have been better served by just a video of you selling the project to the camera, intercut with drawn stills or something with higher visual quality.

I think the rewards are off too. Mainly I think you're sabotaging yourself by coming out and saying it will be on YouTube. It's fine if that's your distribution strategy, but donators don't need to know that. Are there anime film festivals you can submit it to? I'd talk up that angle instead, and give people an incentive to give you money for the film. $100 for a DVD of something that is being put on YouTube...I dunno.

What's your marketing strategy for the KS campaign? Barring some good connections in media circles I think you'll struggle to make 20% of your goal.

ProjectTrinity
Oct 12, 2012

Because we get things done.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I had to google "OVA". Is that a meaningful identifier in anime communities?

You went with a longer than average campaign: is that to correspond to a marketing strategy? It's not intuitive, but the research tends to point to shorter campaigns being more successful.

I'm not your audience, but the animation and artwork aren't exciting. The interrogation room looks incomplete and untextured. Even if that room was perfectly sterile and flat, it still needs something to signal that it was an aesthetic choice, not an unfinished box. The same could be said for the other scenes too.

When you're offering something for people to see, it will either turn them on or turn them off. This turns me off. I think you would have been better served by just a video of you selling the project to the camera, intercut with drawn stills or something with higher visual quality.

I think the rewards are off too. Mainly I think you're sabotaging yourself by coming out and saying it will be on YouTube. It's fine if that's your distribution strategy, but donators don't need to know that. Are there anime film festivals you can submit it to? I'd talk up that angle instead, and give people an incentive to give you money for the film. $100 for a DVD of something that is being put on YouTube...I dunno.

What's your marketing strategy for the KS campaign? Barring some good connections in media circles I think you'll struggle to make 20% of your goal.

It's a shorthand way of saying "animation that's longer than a usual 30-minute episode", but not much more than that. As for your critiques and advice, I will be trying to implement as much of it as I reasonably can - particularly the Youtube segment you pointed out. I can see where the mentioned self-sabotage could happen. There's no film festival in mind, but I do not mind looking into it to make the project more enticing for donators. The marketing strategy is largely dependant on the media circles we're currently in (voice acting, singing, composing, artists, indie producers, ect). The other part of it is old fashion advertising.

Thanks for the help thus far!

un1d3f
May 7, 2013

by T. Finninho
Hi. I'm looking for a creative consultant/business+art partner for my kickstart.

I have two pretty awesome scripts that I will not discuss, but if we reach an agreement I can share a few details of my screenplays. I need atleast one sample (Will pay up to 50$) for the kick start. Tips on creating a successful kickstart would be greatly appreciated!

if you're interested, yahoo message me at 'jmaser1982' or email me at jmaser1982@yahoo.com

edit: If you're wondering what you'll get out of the deal, is that you'll get a few creative ideas!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

un1d3f posted:

edit: If you're wondering what you'll get out of the deal, is that you'll get a few creative ideas!

So what you're saying is that you want me to do all the work, and in exchange for doing all the work you'll toss a few ideas my way?

Sign me the gently caress up.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Strange lights have been seen in the sky. Nobody has dreamt in close to a month. Now, the ground shakes and the people quail in fear. In can only be time for the THUNDERSTARTER

About six months ago, a bunch of goons from our very own Thunderdome put in submissions for a short story collection called The Cipher Sister Anthology, published by the (completely unrelated) ThunderDome Press. The prompt we used was an NBC story about two twins found dead in Lake Tahoe.

quote:

The sheriff's department in El Dorado County broke protocol this week and released the names of two deceased residents without notifying their relatives.

The problem is they can't find any relatives of the twin sisters who were found dead inside their South Lake Tahoe home last week.

The bodies were discovered on Feb. 27, according to the sheriff's department. Authorities say they most likely died within a short time of one another of natural causes. They had been dead for several weeks before they were discovered, according to reports.

The sheriffs haven't been able to locate the next of kin of the women. Apparently throughout their lives, they always listed each other on all official forms.
How did it turn out? Well, that was a pretty drat solid week of writing and goon submissions now make up a good half the book, give or take. We were all pretty proud of it at the time, then the thing seemed to disappear: emails from the publishers were sketchy at best and it seemed like they were trying to hide the fact they couldn't afford to go to press. Then, we got the email.

Turns out they're running a drive on Indiegogo to try and get the (mostly goon) authorship their pay and hopefully get some better coverage for the collection. Again, they're unaffiliated with SA, they just happened to like our submissions a whole lot. It's Indiegogo Flexible Funding (ugh) but the prices you see there on IGG are cheaper than you'll get when it eventually goes up on Amazon and at the same time you get to support a struggling indie publishing house while putting some money in goon pockets and reading some drat good stories. Thunderdome has the occasional golden week of storytelling and Cipher Sister is right up there as one of the best of the old thread.

It's $5 for an eBook copy, or $15 for an eBook and a print copy. They're look for $4K but it's flexible funding and you still get your books, even if the goal isn't reached.

Enough talk, where's the link?

Right here.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is loving awesome.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Brown Moses I didn't realize you had a campaign going, I would have bought you banner ads on SA at least, is it all over?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy-a-surreal-exploration-based-adventure-game

Dropsy Kickstarter live, yay!

Worked on that video and the Kickstarter in general for about a month. Revamped it three times. Excited to see how it goes.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
I guess there's no better place for this, as I wouldn't have an indiegogo campaign if it weren't for these forums. I'm hoping for critique to improve on more than I am funding, but first I'd like to give a little back story.

(to skip the SA stuff and jump straight into the public facing stuff, click here)

I've spent a lot of years as kind of a fuckup. Like, the bad kind. In the last five years alone I've gone from couchsurfing across the US and disrupting good peoples lives, to bouncing from job to job and city to city here in Australia, to unemployed and sleeping on a floor on the opposite side of the country from my family. You only have to look at my post history for half of the story - TCC, and lots of it. The other half would be undiagnosed Bipolar Type II, up until two years ago when I finally found a competent doctor and got myself medicated. From that point forward some things changed, but some stayed the same. The love of my life, met during my US trip, decided that I was worth another shot and moved her entire life over here to pursue her career and our relationship on these shores. I got my act together enough to go from being on welfare and snorting ambien in Perth, to sober, employed, and having an apartment here in Sydney in the few short months between her decision and arrival. She didn't stay long though; The meds I was on at the time had diminishing returns and were useless by the time she left, and so partway through last year I considered myself to be a hopeless case, WORTH the constant abandonment and disappointment I seemed to find in life. I found a new doctor and new medication, but my life stayed the same bleak depressing craphole of failure that I had always been sure was inescapable. I even got fired from my job as a salesman and wound up stocking grocery store shelves twelve hours a week. Dropping weight rapidly due to involuntary starvation and sinking from the black to the red way too quickly, I was on a fast track to sucking available resources out of anyone who'd give them and then a .38 temporal lobe redecoration. I'd even practice so the trigger squeeze would be muscle memory, no hesitation, if and when I got my hands on a gun.

That all changed earlier this year, due almost entirely to Something Awful (Dot Com). Feeling sorry for myself (okay, clinically suicidal) and browsing the SA Quotes thread, I got pointed to stories like Zaurg and Cornholio, who helped me realise that not earning much money doesn't have to mean not having much money. More critically, I found the Ultimate Transformations Thread and others like it, and was starkly confronted with the fact that no matter how much things suck, no matter what you may lay blame on yourself for, there is always a chance and a choice. As long as there is air in your lungs, no matter the actions of other people, YOU can take the actions that will get your life on track. The turning point came in a PYF thread, when somebody linked this comic. It worked its way into my hindbrain, and made itself felt for weeks, until I was driven to track it down, print it off, and listen to what Bukowski was trying to tell (not specifically) me.

A long time ago I tried to start a t-shirt company, thinking I could become the next Reg Mombassa or Justin Herald. It hit difficulties and I gave up, only for Threadless.com to take my intended business model online and thrive. That's what I used to tell myself life was - the mania side of the bipolar was waaaaay too good at flooding me with ideas and inspiration and potential, if I could only focus on any one of them long enough to milk a million dollars out of it. So I'd scribble in notebooks and scrawl on scrap paper and generally intend to come back to each and every "brilliant" inspiration if and when I had the means. Learning that I had bipolar cast that creative process into new light, and getting medicated effectively put the whole matter directly in my control.

When I read those threads, when I saw those posts, when I clicked on the link to that comic, something changed inside me. Not my standing, but my outlook. It was the entire problem. There I was, a white guy in his 20s thinking the world was too hard. A little goon wisdom later and no, I was a white guy in his 20s squandering the gently caress out of life. I needed to make changes, and I was the only person who could.

I went back over my notebooks and public promises and picked out ideas that I thought were of merit. Then I got to work, hard. I dusted off my long useless ABN and registered a new name for it with ASIC, saving up for weeks for the fee to do so. I took my ideas and I took things I already owned and turned the latter into the former - with a development budget of $0, I launched my new brand with four working and proven products. One caught peoples eye in a big way, and so the last 3 months I have poured my heart, soul, and an entire hours wages into it, taking it from a working proof of concept to a market ready prototype I'd be confident to put in someone else's hands. I've again saved for weeks to register a domain and pay for hosting, teaching myself anything I couldn't do at any step of the way. And I've launched an indiegogo page for said popular idea, because if one in ten facebook friends say they want one, then maybe one in ten people in the whole world don't know they want one yet.

And that's who I'm doing it for these days. I used to tell myself that one day I could be a millionaire. A few years and permanent scars later and I give no fucks about becoming a millionaire, I want to use whatever time I have left and whatever ability I have within myself to bring people joy and delight. Years later people still talk about the Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes with that sense of wonder I've so inconsistently induced in others. No more inconsistency. I don't want to be the guy posting highdeas in TCC anymore. I want to be the guy who has or sees an idea, makes it a real thing, and then steps back to watch people get the most out of it.

My company is named Potatoys, partly because even medicated I'm an unstoppable pun machine, and partly to reflect its basis: I took simple things that already existed, ran them through my own bent mind, and came out with new offerings built of humble components. There are a lot more layers to it than that, though, and despite the name it's not really a toy company, although I follow the offering standards of an ethical one (mixed a little bit with Mann Co. or Acme.) What I've always had is ideas, and what I want to do with Potatoys is make them real for the world. I don't ever want to get into a patent dispute or take out a mortgage to sustain one vision forever, I want to make as many visions as possible exist, and where necessary let others take them over for their full potential to be realised. Potatoys is less of a toy company and more of a designers portfolio, if designers went to market before making their pitches to more capable people. If I have an idea that a bigger company can take to its full potential, I don't care about fees or percentages, I just want to be able to make the next concept after that a real offering too.

With that explanation, I present my indiegogo campaign, open to any perspective or improvement possible.

website here (it is the same link as the start of this post, don't get all up at me expecting a third, special link, come on now.)

Now a few quick short ones: Yes, flexible funding. I hate the concept too. But I didn't want to have 20 people choose a perk to get a real Potattoo Machine and then them missing out due to my campaign failure. I pledge that whoever invests at that level gets what they invest for, no matter the overall success. Yes, I know that my photos are crap and a video would help - footage is shot and I am teaching myself Aftereffects/asking around for help to edit it together, and just hours ago a professional photographer (paid with my own Lego collection for her children) left the premises with some hundred-odd shots that will be going up after post. The website is coming in fits and starts as I haven't done any coding since 2008 and browser standards have come a long way. But every waking moment that I'm not at my "real" job is going into this vision, whether I'm tattooing potatoes using creative commons flash, still yet improving the Potattoo Machine itself, or working my way through hours of Blender tutorials in case the aspired next step gets reached.

Nothing witty or inspirational goes at the end of this post. Just a call that if you think I can improve, I'm listening, and if you think any of my past woes rang true for you, you can get up right now and change things.

Not Evans fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 26, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Not Evans posted:

Nothing witty or inspirational goes at the end of this post. Just a call that if you think I can improve, I'm listening, and if you think any of my past woes rang true for you, you can get up right now and change things.

If this project was an act of therapy, then it's a job well done.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Not Evans posted:

Now a few quick short ones: Yes, flexible funding. I hate the concept too. But I didn't want to have 20 people choose a perk to get a real Potattoo Machine and then them missing out due to my campaign failure. I pledge that whoever invests at that level gets what they invest for, no matter the overall success.
I don't really understand the logic here. Like, if you do fixed funding and fall short, you can always contact the people who backed you and say "Hey, the project won't meet its goal to mass-produce these, but I'll sell you one for $X". Do you think there are people who back flex-funding specifically over fixed? (or, more precisely, enough of such people to make up for people who favor fixed over flex)

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

If I'm being honest, I made a rookie mistake and it's too late to go back and change it.

If I'm trying to justify my actions with rationality, I mean what it says on the site about being product driven. If one person decides they want an actual Potattoo Machine, and three hundred people contribute a dollar, that one person is getting a Potattoo Machine of $200+ build and accessory quality, and I keep a couple of bucks to get someone on Shapeways to print me off a batch of Spud Zeppelins. Ten seconds of internet detectivery yields enough personal information for disgruntled backers to come knocking on my door, so I'm hoping that that transparency coupled with visible effort over the next 54 days helps people overcome their jitters.

I'm actually trying to get some test units out there in the wild in advance of the campaign ending. It'd mean better feedback for the finalised offering, and every example potattoo those testers produce is an extra hour I can put in to other aspects of the project. However the campaign ends, though, the money will be used to build as many as I can and offer them for sale on potatoys.net. Should I advertise that fact to allay people who prefer fixed funding, or would it drive away the few flexible funders I might otherwise attract?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Gaspy Conana posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy-a-surreal-exploration-based-adventure-game

Dropsy Kickstarter live, yay!

Worked on that video and the Kickstarter in general for about a month. Revamped it three times. Excited to see how it goes.

So I'm wondering about press/exposure now. We were off to a relatively strong start, and that's cool, but I fear that once my friends and associates run out the funding rate will dip wayyy down. Any advice on getting the attention of the press? Standing out from all the billions of other Kickstarters? Etc. This is probably something I should've thought of more before launching, but yeah.

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

*BBRRRR* It's cold in here!
Helped make the hyper absurd video for friends Illustrated Kickstarter art, tech, theory book:

W.A.N.T. "Art of digital living in the PRISM era." - By McKenzie Wark (famous for A Hacker's Manifesto, etc) & Rachel Law

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829763632/want-weaponized-adorables-negotiation-team-book-pr

It is fairly dense theory applied to digital living - if that's your thing, then supporting it would be cool.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

So I'm wondering about press/exposure now. We were off to a relatively strong start, and that's cool, but I fear that once my friends and associates run out the funding rate will dip wayyy down. Any advice on getting the attention of the press? Standing out from all the billions of other Kickstarters? Etc. This is probably something I should've thought of more before launching, but yeah.

Even I can help with that. Does your town/electorate have a local press? If so, grab your local newspaper, pick a reporter out of the Lifestyle or similar section, and tell them that an independent developer/programmer/musical scorer who has lived in this community for X years has a project in the works that other community members might like to hear about. On a fast news day you might not get a response, but on a slow news day you might get an email back asking for more information, or better, a promise that the next slow news day they'll send someone out. You might get two column inches on a page of advertisements, but that's the eyes of however many people during their breakfast, their workplace lunchbreak, or whatever else time of day people give to your local press, that are on you and your kickstarter. Are you steadily employed? Coworkers always know somebody up to N degrees of separation who are into "that computer thing like you." Basically, if you've milked Facebook to the point of losing friends, that's not because of the "friends" you have, it's because you're reaching for more than your friends list can provide. Even tickertaping QR codes printed on business cards can get eyes on your kickstarter and mouths talking about it.

On that note, your campaign page mentions SA. Picture a 70 year old who reads the paper between breakfast and mowing the lawn each week. Do they know what some awful thing dot com is? Would the phrasing or their understanding throw them off at all? It might be better to mention "social media" or "networking" sites. At second-to-worst, they'll think "Oh, my daughter uses that reddable website, maybe it's the same one. I should ask her if she knows who this is" (worst being "Internet? Where's my opinion pages").

Also, in your shoes I'd build a stronger relation between yourself as the individual and your existing finished products - really tout that as a one man band you have accomplished the following offerings that so many people have enjoyed and can enjoy right now, and that this will be in a grander vein. Your art is fantastic, both for the game and the kickstarter, and the audio talent you've got on board is reassuring, but admitting that you don't know what you'll use to deliver the final product, drat. If you told me "Definitely RPGMaker and nothing else", I'd personally be a lot more confident than I am in "Undecided." I love the demos and your work so far. I buy from GoG more often than Steam and your project evokes the same feel, I'd just want more assurance that I'm funding a struggling Westwood Studios over somebody making a (blank) clone. I say all this realising that you've attracted nearly all the funding I'm asking for for myself, but if you want more eyes on the prize, don't discount underhanded or overreaching campaigns based on the overlap between the internet and your local-or-similar-to-self real space.

Not Evans fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 27, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Gaspy Conana posted:

So I'm wondering about press/exposure now.

Spend a few hours and get a very long list of bloggers who cover indie games. Create a press kit for them that includes all the pertinent info and some great pics/illustrations. Contact all of them and see if any are interested in learning more about your game. If so, send them the kits. If enough people run with it, you can approach bigger gaming sites like RockPaperShotgun, GiantBomb, etc. But this is all super late in the game. I don't think it will impact your KS campaign, but it will plant a seed for people to buy the game later on.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
For those of you who didn't know - I sell homemade beef jerky here in the SA Mart. I also have a Kickstarter Campaign running to help get better equipment so that I can make the jerky better.

That project has waaaaay exceeded my expectations, but too much is never enough so go check it out at : https://www.epicsriracha.com

That link will take you straight to the campaign for now, and shortly after the campaign is over it will redirect to my website.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I wanted to make one more push for my pals in Quebec.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninedots/god-factory-wingmen

5 days until their funding time is done and they aren't even halfway there.

These guys have proven themselves and I think this money could really help their talent flourish. Please consider spreading the project. They game actually looks pretty awesome.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I think this is probably the right place to post this. The project is to design an easy to use interface for a a raspberry pi, something that lets people with limited technical know-how find real world applications for the pi. It's a great little computer and really affordable but you really have to know what you're doing to get anything done with it.

I don't want to get too technical because if you're not into that kind of thing it's all boring jargon but there's a lot more details on the kickstarter page. Basically it's a system that allows people who aren't comp sci graduates to use a raspberry pi for cool projects.

Oh here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eightdog/laika-raspberry-pi-robotics

DarthVersace
Jul 26, 2001

I am The Everything.
Kind of late to the game here (really, really late), but I figure a little self-promotion couldn't hurt.

My latest Kickstarter project is a anthology of horror comics, called "The Sleep of Reason." It has just under 2 days left on Kickstarter. It's made goal, but I'm holding out hope it can knock down a few stretch goals and finish strong.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ironspike/the-sleep-of-reason-an-anthology-of-horror

"The Sleep of Reason" was strongly inspired by the horror anthology "Taboo," and it's my bid to shine a bigger spotlight on horror comics, a genre that dominated the industry before being stamped out by The Comics Code Authority, and has never really staged the comeback it deserved. The anthology features 380 pages of original comics, including a 23-page, full-color insert by award winning cartoonist Dave Cooper.

Other participants include KC Green, Evan Dahm, Carla Speed McNeil, Sophie Goldstein, Der-shing Helmer, Randy Milholland, Kel McDonald, Lin Visel, and tons more.

You can read 35 pages of previews on the KS update page. Try before you buy, and all that.

Thanks, folks.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
Not much time left on this campaign, but since we really want to make this happen, I'm doing my best to get it out there.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shooting-against-violence-the-story-of-the-ymi

This is a project started by the place where I work (Haydenfilms Institute (HFI)); we deal with film production and helping students and independent filmmakers get their names out there and get work (by having them work with us). Last year (before I even heard of this place), they worked with 50 students from Reading, PA (which is apparently considered the poorest city in America), teaching them the ins and outs of filmmaking. These students created a bunch of PSAs (which can be seen here: http://www.haydenfilmsinstitute.org/film-festivals/psa-online-film-festival/), learned a lot, and were really able to talk about issues that are important to them.

Since filming of the process was going on at all times, HFI wants to be able to turn the footage into a documentary and hopefully expand the program to reach more cities and more students. And that's where you (hopefully) come in. As you can see, we're still lacking the necessary funds to make it happen, so in addition to contacting local organizations to ask for money, we're putting this out there wherever we can.

It'd be great if you'd check the campaign out, maybe get interested, maybe even donate a dollar or more our way! Every little bit helps (and if it doesn't get funded, we're definitely giving it another goal, since no matter what, we want to see this idea become a reality)!

Thanks a bunch for reading, guys!

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007
I posted this in the Kickstarter thread over in the Games forum, as well, but I wanted to share in CC, too, in case there are any video game loving parties over here who didn't see it there! The studio that I work for as an animator (Minicore Studios) has been working on this tasty morsel of retro goodness for a little under two years. It's already been featured on Joystiq, G4, Polygon, The Escapist, among others, and as of today, we officially launched it on Kickstarter.

The story of our game concerns Laika, the famous cosmonaut dog from the Soviet Union's space program. She was sent up into orbit in 1957 in the Sputnik II capsule, and, as the program hadn't devised any method to actually retrieve her from orbit, her story ends predictably tragically with her dying in space. In our version, however, we rewrote history to incorporate a very alive and curiously cyber-enhanced Laika, who comes back from space and teams up with a resistance movement on earth in order to take out the Soviet Overlords.

Here is our Kickstarter page:
http://bit.ly/10NvScw

...and we've also got the game up on Steam Greenlight:
http://bit.ly/11DiV7z

If it sounds like the type of story you'd like to see more of, and the platformer gameplay gives you the warm, nostalgic fuzzies, please let us know -- those are exactly the reasons that we wanted to make the game! Any input or support you guys could give is really appreciated.

BTW, while I'm here:

DarthVersace posted:

My latest Kickstarter project is a anthology of horror comics, called "The Sleep of Reason"...
Hey, I totally backed you last week! How's it going? :D
Your project looks awesome, and I am very excited to see the finished product!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Was there some pop culture reference to Laika recently? We've got two goon kickstarters in four posts named after it. But I guess spacedogs are perpetually awesome, so no harm done.

Andraste
Oct 22, 2005
Hey guys, I have no idea how much exposure this thread is garnering for projects; but it's worth a shot.

Adam and Paul Save the Whole, Entire, Apartment Complex is a web series written by my roommate Joel Reaves, on which I am the cinematographer. The premise is that two best friends, Paul and Adam, who are pop culture nerds and zombie lore fanatics are faced with a real life zombie apocalypse. Unlike usual zombie related stories, our heroes know what zombies are, how to kill them, and what cliches to avoid (chainsaws, really?).

They quickly realize that the world is far too large to save, and instead focus on their world; which happens to comprise of their apartment complex and neighbors.

So, without further adoo, please check out our kickstarter and our facebook page, maybe give them a like, share, or twat.

the links

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paultodd/adam-and-paul-save-the-whole-entire-apartment-comp

and our facebook page is

https://www.facebook.com/APzombies?fref=ts

We've filmed several teaser promos, and will be releasing those to the public at predestined fundraising milestones.

Thanks for your time, and hopefully all your money.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Andraste posted:

Hey guys, I have no idea how much exposure this thread is garnering for projects; but it's worth a shot.

I don't think this thread does much on that end, but I wouldn't be surprised if the conversion rate of people visiting from this thread is abnormally high.

quote:

We've filmed several teaser promos, and will be releasing those to the public at predestined fundraising milestones.

I hope you reconsider this. Right now there is no reel demo or much of anything besides a single shot couch interview. You need to build excitement and momentum right out of the gate. It looks like your team can do good zombie makeup, and that's awesome. But do you have good actors? Can you get us attached to the characters? Can you handle an action sequence? Is your location aesthetically pleasing?

I think you really need to hit at least 10% funding in your first 24 hours, because presumably that's when you put the most effort into getting the word out. Regardless of the quality of the campaign, a low pledge number scares people off. If you have footage you shot that you're proud of, I think you should get some of that out there ASAP to reassure people that you can make an excellent webseries. Besides, if you're able to land the Popular Now tag on KS, you'll get leaps and bounds more donations from strangers.

Don't get me wrong, I think having a schedule for meaningful updates is fantastic. But tying it to donation amounts could be shooting yourself in the foot if the videos themselves are what end up driving donations.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I'm looking for some advice on a Kickstarter I've been working on putting together - mostly just kind of would like a little critique on how it sounds / how stupid it is. My goal is to raise some funds so I can start selling photography prints at street festivals, and I'm trying to raise about $3000. This is my pitch:

quote:

I am an artist and photographer from western North Carolina looking to get into the art festival and street fair scene!

Living deep in the mountains of North Carolina, I'm no stranger to huge street festivals. All my life, this has been something that I've dreamed of doing with my art - and indeed, many people have told me that I should try my hand at getting a booth and selling my photography and artwork... I've never had the capital to invest into getting started. That's where Kickstarter comes in!

The Plan: My goal is to be able to have a booth at the Mountain Glory Festival in my home town of Marion, NC. My budget is small, but I still have to buy everything I need to set up a booth, including a tent, tables, a banner, and print stock. My goal is to have at least 20 prints framed to sell, cutting all mats and building frames myself.

The Project: To achieve my dream and my goal, I am offering prints of my photography as incentive options, including a limited edition, Kickstarter only print for all donation tiers above $10!

The Prints: Below is the diverse selection of work that all donors will be able to choose from when selecting their rewards! At the close of the project a survey will be sent out to all pledging members where each person can select the print(s) they wish to receive!

#1 - The Little House

#2 - Hey Man, Nice Shot

#3 - A Certain Slant of Light

#4 - Chained

#5 - I Have Never Had Dreams, Only Nightmares

#6 - Tranquil Skys

#7 - Weary Angel

#8 - Honeybee

#9 - Restless Leaf

#10 - Sparkling Waterfall

#11 - Flowering Cabbage

#12 - Motes In The Sunlight
-------------------------------------------

AND THE KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE, AVAILABLE TO ALL DONORS AT THE $10 AND HIGHER TIER AS A 5x7 LIMITED EDITION CARD PRINT:

#11 - Crossings
--------------------------------------------

The Funds: 100% of all pledges raised will go toward not only fulfilling pledge rewards and buying stock, but also purchasing the items necessary to run a booth such as tents, tables, signs, vendor insurance, and other staple items. Thankfully, many of these items are "one time" purchases, so with the success of this project I will essentially have successfully set myself on a path to being able to do many more street festivals in the upcoming season.

Risks and Challenges
There are no risks with this project in terms of reward fulfillment, as printing solely depends on funding and I am doing all of the production (cutting mats, framing) myself. My success at the street festival, should my project succeed, will depend on the market's reception to my work - I think it will be good and I hope you will, too, and will help me get there! =)

Rewards

$10 - Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$15 - ONE 5x7 signed print of your choice. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$25 - ONE 8x12 signed print of your choice. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$35 - ONE 8x12 print of your choice, signed and hand matted! As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$40 - ONE 11x17 signed print of your choice. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$50 - TWO 8x12 signed prints of your choice! As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$60 - ONE 11x16 print of your choice, signed and hand matted! As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$70 - TWO 8x10 prints of your choice, signed and hand matted. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$80 - ONE 11x17 signed print of your choice. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$120 - TWO 11x16 print of your choice, signed and hand matted! As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$175 - ONE 11x17 print of your choice, hand matted, signed and framed at 16x20 in a beautiful Nielsen gunmetal frame. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

$350 - TWO 11x17 prints of your choice, hand matted, signed and framed at 16x20 in a beautiful Nielsen gunmetal frame. As well, you get the Kickstarter Only Limited Edition Art Watercolor 5x7 print of "Crossings".

I know some of my reward tiers are a little borked up - just now copy and pasting them I realized that some of the changed I made last night apparently didn't save, so I need to go back through and re-order a few of them... What I'm hoping for, in terms of feedback, is weither my pitch seems sound (should I write more? I don't know how much more I can ramble on without sounding inane), the selection of photos is ok / broad enough (or too many?), and do my rewards look ok in a general sense - ie: should I have more "lower ticket" items, or more higher, or... something in between? I've never done anything like this before, and I'm really awful at selling myself and my work, but I want this to happen SO BADLY.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm looking for some advice on a Kickstarter I've been working on putting together - mostly just kind of would like a little critique on how it sounds / how stupid it is. My goal is to raise some funds so I can start selling photography prints at street festivals, and I'm trying to raise about $3000. This is my pitch:

Do you have a video? If you do not have a video, then don't launch the campaign until you have a video. You need a video. If you have one then you should link it because it's the crux of your campaign.

As to the content of the campaign, it's not incredibly compelling. It would be an easier sell if you needed the money to create the art or something like that. But needing money to facilitate the selling of physical prints at a local street festival...I dunno. Maybe there's a better way to frame (heh!) it?

quote:

I know some of my reward tiers are a little borked up - just now copy and pasting them I realized that some of the changed I made last night apparently didn't save, so I need to go back through and re-order a few of them... What I'm hoping for, in terms of feedback, is weither my pitch seems sound (should I write more? I don't know how much more I can ramble on without sounding inane), the selection of photos is ok / broad enough (or too many?), and do my rewards look ok in a general sense - ie: should I have more "lower ticket" items, or more higher, or... something in between? I've never done anything like this before, and I'm really awful at selling myself and my work, but I want this to happen SO BADLY.

You have too many tiers, and they aren't distinct. 11x16 or 11x17? Those seem like the same size. I also wouldn't mail out anything physical for under $30. I imagine you could get by with 5 tiers, including a $3 freebie tier. If I have to spend a while looking through your rewards to figure out the best one for me, any second I could lost interest and just go back to Facebook.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Do you have a video? If you do not have a video, then don't launch the campaign until you have a video. You need a video. If you have one then you should link it because it's the crux of your campaign.

As to the content of the campaign, it's not incredibly compelling. It would be an easier sell if you needed the money to create the art or something like that. But needing money to facilitate the selling of physical prints at a local street festival...I dunno. Maybe there's a better way to frame (heh!) it?

You have too many tiers, and they aren't distinct. 11x16 or 11x17? Those seem like the same size. I also wouldn't mail out anything physical for under $30. I imagine you could get by with 5 tiers, including a $3 freebie tier. If I have to spend a while looking through your rewards to figure out the best one for me, any second I could lost interest and just go back to Facebook.

Yes, I'm going to have a video - I'm still in the process of putting it together / figuring out quite what I want to say in it which is why I didn't post it here. So far it's just a few short unedited soundbites.

Well, in terms of "compelling" story, I do have a show coming up so I could put in that I need to be able to print so that I have work to go into that as well, but in all honesty I've already got most of it finished up. I did have the idea that maybe I could branch out a little and offer prints of paintings and possibly some original work at some higher tiers and make it not just about photography, but then I second guessed myself and thought that might be going overboard. :/

As for the tiers.. yeah, they're definitely borked up. I'm going to just clear them all out and start over from scratch, I think - you're absolutely right that I have too many, especially too many that are too similar.

Thank you for the quick critique on the whole thing, I appreciate the feedback!

claymore
Feb 5, 2006

A couple friends of mine are Kickstarting their next short film. I'm not directly involved with it in any way, but they are so passionate, so talented, and so motivated that it inspires me to see them taking a project of this scope on. And if their last short film (and their first), The Green Ruby Pumpkin, is anything to judge by, this next film will be something special.

They've converted their entire home (which happens to be in a warehouse), into their sets, filled with antiques and DIY builds that are simply stunning for their budget.

Here's a link to their Kickstarter page where you can get the whole scoop, check out their updates to see the stuff they've been doing in the mean time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1371460348/the-ningyo

And their first short film, The Green Ruby Pumpkin: http://vimeo.com/51358765

The Making-of: http://vimeo.com/51538157

I first met him when he was starting The Green Ruby Pumpkin, and I saw first hand his entire home be transformed into a set for that film. He and his girlfriend Tran have poured every ounce of spare time and money into their short films since then, and have been almost entirely responsible for every aspect of them. He's brought in some friends to help him out for certain parts, but the brunt of the projects have been built on their backs.

There's only 4 days left on this Kickstarter, but I'm hoping they make their goal

Some random images from their project:

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

claymore posted:

A couple friends of mine are Kickstarting their next short film. I'm not directly involved with it in any way, but they are so passionate, so talented, and so motivated that it inspires me to see them taking a project of this scope on. And if their last short film (and their first), The Green Ruby Pumpkin, is anything to judge by, this next film will be something special.

Pledged. I'm so jealous of that skill and dedication.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So a friend of mine is kickstarting her next big project, an original fantasy webseries called Ren, and I'm really drat excited about it because she and her crew are really talented! You might have seen one of their previous projects, a LOTR fanfilm called Born of Hope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qINwCRM8acM, that set out to show that fan films don't have to have low production values. I can't wait to see what these guys can do with a project they have complete creative control over.

You can check out the pitch video and other stuff on the Kickstarter here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythica/ren-a-brand-new-epic-fantasy-series

So, if you like great independent fantasy made by extremely talented filmmakers, I hope some of you will back this project!

Davoren fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 21, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So I'm working on a project, you may have noticed my ad around linking to my cancelled Kickstarter, but really its not the best image there is of what this project is about. Due to some internal mistakes, we rushed what did not need to be rushed, so instead we are starting over planning wise and doing everything we can before launching. Basically this means finishing off the story we have that's already written but needs revising, and also programming a skeleton that can have stuff plugged in.

My basic question is, where do I go for the initial bit of money needed for bare art assets? I've been putting a lot of my own money in, and that will probably be the solution, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a site where someone can raise one or two hundred dollars- a micro loan. I think I'm going to avoid that and when planning out production, set up payment in installations for my artists. That way they stick to their deadlines, get their money both up front and when finished, and over-all puts a bit less stress on everyone.

I got a lot of great feedback from the Your Kickstarter Sucks thread, although I came off as kind of douche at the end. For those of you who are not on Klonapin or are about to go on it, fair warning, after taking a night time dose you should avoid posting things as likely what you are saying and what you have written do not convey the same idea. Anyhow, now having learned a lot from my Kickstarter, I've realized what needs to be done as project head of a company.

I suppose what I'm asking here is two questions:
  • What is the best Kickstarter video for an indie developer? I'm planning on making it two minutes long, based on the original Alien trailer, showing off the theme, art, and music of the game. Should I, the creator, appear at any point at the end in brief in order to give my project a human face?
  • Press Kits.. I've contacted many people but its a bit difficult to make an impression, for now I've been working on a balance between being persistent and not pushy, and making a good impression. I may be working on a small little tech demo slash mini-game to release for free when the new Kickstarter goes live, would it be smart to give them that alongside the press kit?

Any and all input is great. If anyone here is planning a Kickstarter and has any specific questions on simple mistakes that lead to failure, feel free to ask. Also, support Dropsy. If the Dropsy Kickstarter fails it should go back up and be marketed heavily to goons, saying that when the project is funded in the survey it will ask for your account number so you can be in a special section of the credits. Goonswarm marketing.

Off Topic: The people above me are loving loudly and it sounds like they are cheering all these Kickstarters on. This is really distracting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

We did a project over the summer, and have put up a Kickstarter for it. This is pretty much just to pay our actors and reimburse people for travel, food, etc. that they put into the project. The footage we've got of it all looks really good, and I'm pretty excited about it. I'd really appreciate anyone taking the time to check it out, and any feedback is greatly appreciated as well.

The First Time: A Dark Comedy

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
That video lasts a minute and tells me nothing about your project.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ToG posted:

That video lasts a minute and tells me nothing about your project.

It's got two of the actors from the project in character, in one of the locations from the project, and was written and made by the same crew as the project. We could have done a "here are the people making it talking about it" thing, but we thought this would be a better way to show we are actually capable of doing things. The text includes the basic concept, etc. as well as more examples of everyone's work from last year. We could have made a 10 minute pitch video with all of our reels in there, but no one wants to watch that.

E: It might help though if I include that information in the pitch text though.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 25, 2013

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I don't know about other people, but if the video doesn't captivate me with quality and information, I never bother reading what's under it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TheJoker138 posted:

It's got two of the actors from the project in character, in one of the locations from the project, and was written and made by the same crew as the project. We could have done a "here are the people making it talking about it" thing, but we thought this would be a better way to show we are actually capable of doing things. The text includes the basic concept, etc. as well as more examples of everyone's work from last year. We could have made a 10 minute pitch video with all of our reels in there, but no one wants to watch that.

E: It might help though if I include that information in the pitch text though.
People actually do want to watch pitch videos though, that's how these things get funded. Also, this may sound silly, but having as a prominent line "nobody's going to give us money" seems like a bad idea, because whereas previously I was skeptical, it made me go "yep, that's about right" and stop.

edit: to be clear, people don't go watch pitch videos for fun, but if they have some inclination to back your project, they want some degree of an actual pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Warlord
Jul 8, 2013

It's a dogs life.
A good friend of mine has just began the funding phase of a new student-ran news/journalism site. It's a project that essentially hopes to build a news source on par with some of the national papers but ran entirely by students from a variety of backgrounds - breaking the middle class monopoly that's currently apparent in the world of journalism.

It literally just went up last night, so don't let the lack of backers put you off.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1652429182/the-holonym-a-student-run-alternative-news-source