Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Where does Genos get all this money? I guess they might explain it later in some kind of twist. But it still doesn't answer what Saitama was doing before this.

And honestly, even if Saitama is crazy strong, what does Genos hope to learn? He is a cyborg. He can't really train his body, and the mechanics of his body are likely at least somewhat foreign to the human form so even things like the right way to throw a punch might be different for him.

Keep In Mind It's Just a Manga and You Should Really Just Relax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I thought he still thinks Saitama is lying to him about his ridiculous training regimen and hiding what really made him so strong.

my parents boyfriend fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 24, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That was right after they joined the Hero's Organization and persumably Genos got a shitload of money for being an S class.

Also Genos is just studying Saitama in general and also learning the mindset of being a hero. Saitama even said "You are a cyborg I can't teach you physical stuff, lets work on your mental and combat skills... (cause I have no loving clue but I like money.)

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

I really really really really really hope ONE never explains how Saitama gets that strong. It would ruin the whole series for me.

Edit: Yes yes, I know technically it was explained how in the manga. I was just talking about like a bullshit scientific explanation or something. drat Goons.

Timid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 24, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But he already did? :confused:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Timid posted:

I really really really really really hope ONE never explains how Saitama gets that strong. It would ruin the whole series for me.

I'd be okay with an explanation if it somehow managed to make even less sense than the one we've already got.

"Saitama, the secret of your heritage, your mother was Japanese and your father was..."
:suspense:
"Canadian."
:geno:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timid posted:

ONE has already explained how Saitama got that strong, here, here and here. I hope this doesn't ruin the series for you.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I could see the question of how Saitama got strong and what he does for money being one in the same. Like he works in a nuclear power plant or does drug testing and never thought there was any correlation at all. Hell with either of those it could explain the hair loss too.

This would sorta ruin it if it ever was explained though, it's one of the few times I hope we're kept in the dark about something that's sorta important in a manga.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Brightman posted:

I could see the question of how Saitama got strong and what he does for money being one in the same. Like he works in a nuclear power plant or does drug testing and never thought there was any correlation at all. Hell with either of those it could explain the hair loss too.

This would sorta ruin it if it ever was explained though, it's one of the few times I hope we're kept in the dark about something that's sorta important in a manga.

It needs to be something really simple like "well yeah I ran uphill both ways to get the extra workout"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ironsoviet posted:

I thought he still thinks Saitama is lying to him about his ridiculous training regimen and hiding what really made him so strong.

Nah, Genos acknowledges that Saitama doesn't seem to know how he got so strong. He still respects Saitama, though.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Why would you want a semi-plausible reason for why Saitama got strong? It ruins the central joke of the manga.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget the other guy who he told his routine who started following it, who's now starting to lose his hair.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

JosephWongKS posted:

Sonic's a human and not a "monster", though. I don't think Saitama's actually killed any humans in the series so far.

Half the monsters we've seen were humans to start who changed from either their own training or genetic engineering. So technically Saitama's murdered the poo poo out of plenty of people... Just really ugly people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If someone turns into a giant crab from eating too much crab, is anyone going to think of them as human? It helps that all of the monsters are dicks, though.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Serious Frolicking posted:

If someone turns into a giant crab from eating too much crab, is anyone going to think of them as human? It helps that all of the monsters are dicks, though.

Seems most of the heroes are equally big dicks to be honest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MegaCharger posted:

Seems most of the heroes are equally big dicks to be honest.

Most people in general are dicks.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Serious Frolicking posted:

Werecrabs have rights dude!

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
By hanging around Saitama, Genos gets to test his hardware without getting completely destroyed. This is at least the third time he's been saved, that's got to be worth a few month's rent.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

cooldude2.0 posted:

By hanging around Saitama, Genos gets to test his hardware without getting completely destroyed. This is at least the third time he's been saved, that's got to be worth a few month's rent.

I imagine even if he did die it'd probably turn out his brain is stored outside of his body. He probably has a closet full of extra bodies laying around.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Liar posted:

Werecrabs have rights dude!

He gave up those rights the moment he started snack food mixing on people, if only he had used his crab powers for good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

pinegala posted:

Why would you want a semi-plausible reason for why Saitama got strong? It ruins the central joke of the manga.

Also the central message, if you could say there is one. It's much cooler to think that Saitama got strong by just being a dedicated, cool human who pushed himself. He says it perfectly in the Rhino scene, that humanity is great because it can shatter its own limits.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a certain thematic elegance to letting Saitama's powers remain a mystery. Why do some people excel where others languish? There's no single reason, and a person's beliefs about it and attitude towards it are far more important than the factual cause. That's a responsible and uplifting message.

This comic is hilarious and creative, and the adaptation is gorgeous, but none of those are the reason why it works. All the best superheroes have a strong concept like that at their core.

On the other hand, I haven't caught up on ONE's version, so maybe an explanation is provided later on in there? If so, it's at worst just one more interesting metaphor sacrificed on the altar of continuity and the endless filling in of details.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

On the other hand, I haven't caught up on ONE's version, so maybe an explanation is provided later on in there? If so, it's at worst just one more interesting metaphor sacrificed on the altar of continuity and the endless filling in of details.

In the translated chapters, there is an explanation of why he is that powerful, but not necessarily how he was able to attain that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Guys, there's no need to explain the origin of Saitama's powers. They are already explained. He did strength training for a year and lost all his hair and became invincible. That's it! There's nothing else there. He just did strength training and became a superhuman. I see no reason why I should reject that explanation and speculate on some "truly" superheroic cause, because this is a work of fantasy and primarily a comedy at that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Guys, there's no need to explain the origin of Saitama's powers. They are already explained. He did strength training for a year and lost all his hair and became invincible. That's it! There's nothing else there. He just did strength training and became a superhuman. I see no reason why I should reject that explanation and speculate on some "truly" superheroic cause, because this is a work of fantasy and primarily a comedy at that.

Not "a" year. He had trained for three years. This is important.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

JosephWongKS posted:

Not "a" year. He had trained for three years. This is important.

I think there was something about eating a banana every day too. Oh, and making sure to brush your teeth, though that was a bonus chapter.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Saitama is strong because of the placebo effect. Where Genos and everyone else sees ordinary training, he sees invincible hero training. See, you have to project confidence in your training, a mental image of it succeeding, and that strengthens it to the point that you can punch through any enemy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Most of the heroes are just normal guys with no special powers or even talents. Excessive and unwarranted self-confidence isn't limited to Saitama.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Saitama isn't even being self-confident though. He can actively tell that he is levels above everyone else and so he just cares about special sale day because it's the only way he can enjoy living with such weak people.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Imagine Saitama in a juxtaposition with Superman, and you'll understand that Superman is a Christ-like Figure, where as Saitama is a Buddha-like figure. Inner strength and resolve make Saitama the world's greatest hero, not being born a hero, like Superman, or Bruce Wayne, or lucking into being a superhero, like Peter Parker. Saitama is a very Japanese superhero.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

onepixeljumpman posted:

I think there was something about eating a banana every day too. Oh, and making sure to brush your teeth, though that was a bonus chapter.

teethbrushing is incidental because saitama didn't do it as much as he needed to during the 3 years of training.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Condiv posted:

teethbrushing is incidental because saitama didn't do it as much as he needed to during the 3 years of training.

I like to imagine in that case, that if he had maintained dental hygiene like he maintained the rest of his training regimen that he'd have Superman-like breath powers - super minty and fresh.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
He probably took up brushing early-ish in his training considering he can eat swords.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrSunshine posted:

I still really want to see someone who mostly followed Saitama's regime and as a result isn't superhuman, but is bald. Like they turned on their AC in the summer, missed a couple meals, or biked 10k a day instead of running.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Gyges posted:

I still really want to see someone who mostly followed Saitama's regime and as a result isn't superhuman, but is bald. Like they turned on their AC in the summer, missed a couple meals, or biked 10k a day instead of running.

And of course they're A-rank and still a relatively strong guy :v:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

SirDan3k posted:

He probably took up brushing early-ish in his training considering he can eat swords.

Remember he was almost done in by a tooth ache. So seemingly he probably took more focus on his teeth after getting that one knocked out.

I keep hoping the guy who Saitama inspired will show back up, having done his own training. He should seemingly be nearly invincible himself, but Saitama can tell straight away that he didn't train hard enough because he'll have a single hair like Chiaotzu from DB.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

international owl day posted:

Imagine Saitama in a juxtaposition with Superman, and you'll understand that Superman is a Christ-like Figure, where as Saitama is a Buddha-like figure. Inner strength and resolve make Saitama the world's greatest hero, not being born a hero, like Superman, or Bruce Wayne, or lucking into being a superhero, like Peter Parker. Saitama is a very Japanese superhero.

Superhero Young Men?

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Death Bot posted:

And of course they're A-rank and still a relatively strong guy :v:

You expect us to believe someone reached A rank just by doing 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, and 10 mile runs every day with air conditioning on? Go on, pull the other leg.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Saitama did 100 pushups, 100 situps, and ran a bunch of kilometers every day. That's all he did, and that's the joke. I don't understand why people are sperging out and demanding that this isn't the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Saitama did 100 pushups, 100 situps, and ran a bunch of kilometers every day. That's all he did, and that's the joke. I don't understand why people are sperging out and demanding that this isn't the correct answer.

Incoming cliffhanger chapter where he's going to reveal a new detail and it's that he only ate dessert on Saturdays.