Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Before we get another dozen posts of people saying whether or not they'd heard of cattle guards, it really doesn't matter because:

1) The first half of the facebook post is dedicated to explaining what a cattle guard is, so even the people mocking Obama for not knowing what they are don't actually expect people to have heard of them.

2) It didn't even happen in the first place because firing private ranch-hands is not Obama's job. It's actually kind of a clever image because, by making the "cattle guards" thing the ostensible point of the story, it's designed to try to get you to tacitly accept "Obama tried to fire 50000 private workers without even trying to understand the situation" as a completely plausible thing that happened if you only argue with it on the "there's no reason for most people to have heard of cattle guards" front and get derailed by that.

Have this instead:

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
This is, well... Um... Yeah.

Edit: Hm, kinda small. Here's the full text:

quote:

Lies and deceptions that the enemy uses to destroy marriages:
1. I just don't love him/her anymore. *Love is not just a feeling- It's a choice. You can create and get feelings back.
2. She/he just doesn't meet my needs and never will. *Love is laying oneself down for another.
3. We fight so much. It would be better for the children. *Divorce causes even more brokenness especially in children and teens. Get counseling and take classes to change the unhealthy behavior.
4.I'm in love with someone else. *Leaving him/her for someone else is adultery. It's wrong and God can't bless an ungodly relationship.
5. I've tried fixing our marriage and it just doesn't work. *You can do all things thru Christ who gives you strength. Stop trying to do it by yourself.
6. It's been so long since we have been happily married. It's never going to get better.*All marriages go thru difficult seasons. You need to choose to honor your vows..."For Better or worse..."
7. I'm not sexually attracted to him/her anymore. *Get emotionally connected to your spouse again and the sensual feelings will return.
8. We both have changed. We are two different people. It can't work. *Learn to appreciate and value your differences. Find a common ground and start there. God created woman and man to be different to balance each other out.
9.There's just been too much trust broken. I can't trust him/her again. *Trust can be repaired. It can be healed. it takes work. Remember your vows and fight for your marriage.
10. I'm so confused. I don't know what's God will or not concerning our marriage. *Remember confusion is not from God. The enemy is a spirit of confusion. Renew your mind with reading the word of God. If you lack wisdom ask God for it and He will give it to you. His word promises. ~ Ruby Wives, Jenny Williams Copyright 2013

Blind Pineapple has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Jul 25, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The enemy? Do they think Satan is literally putting evil thoughts in people's heads to destroy their marriages?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The enemy? Do they think Satan is literally putting evil thoughts in people's heads to destroy their marriages?
Yes, a lot of Christians literally think that.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Have this instead:

:psyduck:

Oh man, I watched that yesterday out of curiosity. It's from the ABCs of Death, and it is even weirder than that screenshot belies.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
EDIT: ^^^^ :argh:

Screenshot from a film called "The ABCs of Death" which is a horror anthology of 26 films each with a theme, alphabetized, by a bunch of international B-movie directors. SA did a review on it last month, I think.

"F" is literally called "F is for Fart" and it is Japanese, and it is about farting. This is a thing.

There's like 3-4 okay shorts, 20 awful ones, and a couple that are like a Serbian film.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Probably. I've run into a few people who think their day to day is basically just Satan popping in to gently caress up their lives somehow all the time. I'd imagine "the enemy" could also be be stuff like counselors, advice books, TV shows etc. that might tempt you to consider divorce an option.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Vriess posted:

"F" is literally called "F is for Fart" and it is Japanese, and it is about farting. This is a thing.

And there I was thinking this was one of those weird dudes who posts their poorly-Photoshopped spank bank on Facebook.

Could still be That Guy, I guess.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Noooo my mentally unstable libertarian facebook basket case seems to have deactivated his facebook account; Pretty much right on schedule for his bi-annual self hating pity parade. It'll probably be back up in a month. In the meantime though he is still infrequently posting on his other facebook account which is named after his d&d character. Here's an oldie but a goodie

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, that's not even a super uncommon fundy belief really as a lot of moderate christians believe all temptation comes from the devil.

Any time they have a bad day it's always satan loving with them, any time they have a good day they need to comment about how blessed they are. It's impossible to convince them that random chance has a part in anything they do.

SheepNameKiller has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Jul 25, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Are Christians who post things like this even aware that Pride is one of the seven deadly sins? Or does it just... not apply to them somehow?

Hot Sauce Batman
Oct 8, 2011

by T. Finninho

davebo posted:

Are Christians who post things like this even aware that Pride is one of the seven deadly sins? Or does it just... not apply to them somehow?

So you're admitting that gays are evil, then? Check and mate :smug:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

thunderspanks posted:

Noooo my mentally unstable libertarian facebook basket case seems to have deactivated his facebook account; Pretty much right on schedule for his bi-annual self hating pity parade. It'll probably be back up in a month. In the meantime though he is still infrequently posting on his other facebook account which is named after his d&d character. Here's an oldie but a goodie

"Darrell's Warped Mind"

Man he sure is zany.

You'll have pride when you stop being an rear end in a top hat to strangers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I know these are usually scams to get likes, but I really want to hear the conversation that leads to this if they are real.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What's the end result of those 'scams' anyway?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You sell the page for advertising after it has a bunch of followers.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Well hooooooly fucky gently caress look what I found:

Slavery was a favor to black people! Government programs are specifically for them poor blacks; a gift from their white countrymen!

gently caress

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What I've heard is once they got a poo poo load of likes they can turn around and sell the page (and account I guess) to an actual company who will change to sell their product. The idea is that there is an already an established audience. Seems pretty shady overall.

Edit: Beaten

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Slavery was a favor to black people! Government programs are specifically for them poor blacks; a gift from their white countrymen!

gently caress

Don't know if Pat Buchanan actually said that but he's basically the worst and has been on a kick about Obama not "calming the waters" for the past few weeks. It's 2013 and he's on television flat out telling a black man to stop being uppity. Racism is dead!

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

gently caress

Interesting. That was published in 2008, in response to the speech Obama gave while running about Rev. Jeremiah Wright. The first half of the "piece" clearly indicates that, but it's been chopped off for the Facebook reposting.

Also, gently caress Pat Buchanan forever.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
Well it's about time that somebody came and spoke up for the poor white people, who have never been allowed to have a voice in conversations about race. Maybe one day we'll get to live in a world where any racially-charged national issue is dominated by white people wondering out loud why everything has to be about race and kindly letting everyone else know what is and isn't racist. Then we'll have true equality.

I can't find it online, but I remember reading a study that consisted of men watching staged discussions on TV and then being asked about the gender makeup of the discussion. When the discussion was scripted so that men and women each had 50% of the dialogue, men interpreted the discussion as being dominated by women. They continued to interpret it as female-dominated until the percentage of women's dialogue dropped to below 10%, at which point it was proclaimed equal. I wonder if there is a racial analogue to this, as I've met a ton of white people who interpret every instance of a black person speaking on any serious topic as affirmative action gone mad, or as them dominating the discussion and making it all about race, or something similar.

While we're on the topic of racism, my friend has some things to say about the plucky Irish!

Obviously the Irish have historically been dealt a lovely hand, particularly in their home country but also in the United States. Difference being that, unlike the black and Native American peoples who supposedly feel like they are "owed" something, they came here voluntarily, were not the subjects of organized, nationwide atrocities, and were fully assimilated into mainstream white American culture within two generations. But what do I know about the struggles of generic whiteys who think they probably had a half-Irish great-great grandmother?

I didn't bother saying anything because she's one of those morons who thinks that anyone disagreeing with her opinion is infringing on her free speech, but what an rear end in a top hat.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Fascinator posted:

Irish stuff
Talking about how you are Irish when it has been 9 generations since any family member was born in Ireland is the worst crime committed by that person.

I never hear that from anyone but "Irish" people and usually as a reason for their binge drinking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Someone shared something from this page:
https://www.facebook.com/retainyourfreedom

Look at that url, "retain your freedom" :911:

about :

Silence is Consent posted:

Page launched by Independent Conservatives due to the Liberal, Lap-dog Media's refusal to cover the news. Drones (Libs, Sheep, Obama-Zombies) need not apply. Easily offended? Leave now ...

Some stuff from the page:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Like this Page > Silence is Consent

:stare:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

thunderspanks posted:

"Straight and Unashamed" would be a good username. I would also like to meet a straight person who was legitimately ashamed to be straight. Cause, you know, life is so hard for straight folks, right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Like this Page > Silence is Consent

:stare:
I'm certain that the page name is less about rape and more about speaking out. The idea that staying silent means putting up with the status quo so it challenges you to speak out.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

"Straight and Unashamed" would be a good username. I would also like to meet a straight person who was legitimately ashamed to be straight. Cause, you know, life is so hard for straight folks, right?

Well, someone in my ethnic literature class frequently begins her comments with "of course, I'm ashamed to be a straight, white woman..." like it's basically a given.

We all just kind of stare at her.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

davebo posted:

The seven deadly sins are not biblical in origin and are from the writings of a Christian monk, though they're loosely related to an old testament list of poo poo that God don't like. Bam, checkmate, drinks pure molasses in victory.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

And that's how I got fired from my first bouncer job.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ninja bodyguards would be awesome, just not this guy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm certain that the page name is less about rape and more about speaking out. The idea that staying silent means putting up with the status quo so it challenges you to speak out.

Pretty much, unfortunately this is what they want people to speak up about :

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Silly Hippie posted:

Well, someone in my ethnic literature class frequently begins her comments with "of course, I'm ashamed to be a straight, white woman..." like it's basically a given.

We all just kind of stare at her.

See, now I could get that if she was a straight white man. I mean, we're literally Hitler.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Had to look up what the hell a "Fundoshi" was.

Well.. that was a term I didn't need to ever know.

Conservative Weeaboos are a thing, aren't they?

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Vriess posted:

Conservative Weeaboos are a thing, aren't they?

Ohh yes. Oh yes they are. I wish I was still facebook friends with one of the ones I knew, his posts were the most mind-boggling array of 13-year-old girls in their underwear from anime fan pages, complaints about his terrible life, and conservative political memes even my redneck grandma would shake her head at.

Basically if you can name a horrible fandom there are conservatives involved.

Ahem.

Better suited for the awkward fanart thread but hey, I'm proving a point here :colbert:

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

:gop:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

This was posted by some conservative girl I went to school with. She also had a post a month or so ago whining about how lonely she was at university because she was surrounded by liberals.

I'm a little shocked that it doesn't outright say "REVERSE RACISM" :bahgawd: somewhere in there.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

gently caress

A friend of mine posted that. My response was "I always thought Buchanan was kind of a dick, this just confirms it."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Carl Seitan posted:

I'm a little shocked that it doesn't outright say "REVERSE RACISM" :bahgawd: somewhere in there.

Are these people literally so dense they don't see the difference between "horrible crime was committed, everyone was horrified and the perpetrators were caught, charged and sentenced" and "horrible crime was committed, a bunch of people say the innocent victim deserved to be killed and the perpetrator got of scot free"? Or is this deliberate misrepresentation where they are perfectly aware there's a difference but post it anyway to rile people up? Stupid or willfully manipulative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

:barf:

• Locked thread