Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

AgentHaiTo posted:

Well, I went by the Microsoft Store today, and with my university discount, snagged a Surface RT 32GB for $214. I like it ok especially for that price, but I didn't get either of the keyboard covers for it, and I'm still on my x120e typing this post.

My wife is using it now, and her being a new tablet user, she is not in love with the on-screen keyboard, but it's working fine for her to browse the web and Skype(which worked great, and was better quality than my x120e).

She is also new to Windows 8 and is still learning how to navigate it. I may go back next week and get the Touch Cover for $49.99 if she decides she cannot learn the on-screen keyboard.

EDIT: I should say that even with this great discount, the sales staff had no idea what I was talking about when I said my university had a bigger discount than the current sale of $349. They had to make a couple of calls before they would give me the $199 price. It made me think that not many people are taking advantage of this special sale at all and it started June 17th. I'm going to spread the word around campus and maybe they'll get more sales.
Is this a specific university thing or a general education discount? I wouldn't mind picking one up for $200 to play around with, but I haven't been able to find anything at my university like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

waffle posted:

Is this a specific university thing or a general education discount? I wouldn't mind picking one up for $200 to play around with, but I haven't been able to find anything at my university like this.

From what I can tell, it's a deal with the University System of Georgia.

http://www.srs.usg.edu/07-10-13-Microsoft-Surface-for-Education-limited-time-offer-for-faculty-staff

I emailed that guy and asked if I can make a personal purchase and not have to fill out the form posted there(that's specifically for purchase by the school itself) and he said yes and forwarded me on to the Microsoft Store in Atlanta.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
For 200 dollars, I'd at least pick one up to have one. 350 still feels out of budget for a toy.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

AgentHaiTo posted:

http://www.srs.usg.edu/07-10-13-Microsoft-Surface-for-Education-limited-time-offer-for-faculty-staff

I emailed that guy and asked if I can make a personal purchase and not have to fill out the form posted there(that's specifically for purchase by the school itself) and he said yes and forwarded me on to the Microsoft Store in Atlanta.
Wow, I did some digging and I think it is actually a general education discount--here's Microsoft's education page that has it listed, under "Microsoft Surface for education limited time offer – see order form for details". It has all the departmental information so it might be designed for faculty, though it does mention students repeatedly. That is incredibly tempting.

VV Edit: Fair enough. Oh well, that's $200 not spent on a toy

waffle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 25, 2013

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

AgentHaiTo posted:

It's meant solely for schools. You're going to be the exception in this case.

Edit: Engadget link, and the PDF about the discount. The blurb in that USG link is simply copied from Microsoft, save for the CC e-mail address. Unless they're honoring it in a different way than when it first started, it's meant to be for commercial purchases (ie. departments ordering them), that's why there's only one order form.

\/\/\/\/
The Windows 8/RT on-screen keyboard is average, at best. Android and iOS have much more comprehensive autocorrect solutions than Windows does. It's serviceable, but the touch/type covers are absolutely the way to go. Android and iOS have the advantage of having smartphone lineage where a soft keyboard is a necessity.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 25, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah university students in general get a 10% discount. You lucked out.
Also I like the Surface on-screen keyboard a lot although I've never used an iPad one to compare it to.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just got a form email from a generic Microsoft account explicitly saying the same thing you guys just said, so it looks like one sales guy was just being a bit too zealous.

I wasn't trying to be weird about it either, as I clearly asked them that I want to buy it for personal use with my own credit card. Well, I'll keep it under my hat then, as I was about to email my whole department at my school about the deal, thinking I was doing Microsoft a favor.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

AgentHaiTo posted:

Well, I went by the Microsoft Store today, and with my university discount, snagged a Surface RT 32GB for $214. I like it ok especially for that price, but I didn't get either of the keyboard covers for it, and I'm still on my x120e typing this post.

My wife is using it now, and her being a new tablet user, she is not in love with the on-screen keyboard, but it's working fine for her to browse the web and Skype(which worked great, and was better quality than my x120e).

She is also new to Windows 8 and is still learning how to navigate it. I may go back next week and get the Touch Cover for $49.99 if she decides she cannot learn the on-screen keyboard.

EDIT: I should say that even with this great discount, the sales staff had no idea what I was talking about when I said my university had a bigger discount than the current sale of $349. They had to make a couple of calls before they would give me the $199 price. It made me think that not many people are taking advantage of this special sale at all and it started June 17th. I'm going to spread the word around campus and maybe they'll get more sales.

Technically they're not supposed to do it in store for students/faculty. That's why. Glad they were able to hook you up though.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I've successfully held out on picking up a tablet and still lug around my 4 year old netbook. Surface pro is simply too expensive and the Surface RT won't run any legacy apps or old games. Hoping the next batch of tablets will refresh with maybe a Surface "lite", with legacy support so I can still run some old games like age of empires, etc.

Although I have to say the newer atom based tablets run pretty well for their price range.

Zarfol fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 29, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zarfol posted:

I've successfully held out on picking up a tablet and still lug around my 4 year old netbook. Surface pro is simply too expensive and the Surface RT won't run any legacy apps or old games. Hoping the next batch of tablets will refresh with maybe a Surface "lite", with legacy support so I can still run some old games like age of empires, etc.

Although I have to say the newer atom based tablets run pretty well for their price range.

Yeah, I don't think either of the Surfaces is really what you're looking for, but several of the cheaper OEM devices are basically netbook replacements with tablets built in. I'm starting to get fed up with my Acer W510 -- I initially bought it because it was a full Win8 device with good battery life and a clamshell-style keyboard dock, but at the end of the day it's still an Acer netbook and it's starting to show its age with random freezes etc. I'll probably switch up to a touch-ultrabook-type device as soon as a really good one comes out, but if you're coming from a netbook and are expecting netbook-level performance you could probably do worse.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Rawrbomb posted:

For 200 dollars, I'd at least pick one up to have one. 350 still feels out of budget for a toy.

I'm not sure it's even worth $200, $150 feels more reasonable to me. And it's definitely not a toy, it's way too limited for that (there's not even any particularly good games). It has one use that makes it worth buying as far as I can see from using it for nearly a year: Office. Even then, the lack of macros is a huge issue. I have it because I teach and have an assload of quite involved Powerpoints that never work properly on other Office suited, and being able to bring them up immediately in small class environments is useful. It's pretty useful for document editing on the go too. Aside from those narrow uses, however, there's nothing it brings to the table that an iPad or Android tablet doesn't, which is why I haven't recommended it to anyone else. Also it's horribly unstable for how limited it is.

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
I bought one last week after the price drop and I'll be returning it today. I thought it was great, but not $350 great. I keep thinking "oh I can still return it next week" and I shouldn't have to do that. I can't put my finger on why I feel that way, but it probably has something to do with its limitations in the back of my mind. I honestly don't really care if there are no apps for it as I bought it for light web browsing, Netflix, and Youtube. But I feel for $350 it should be able to do more.

My favourite aspect is the design of the chassis. It'll be tough to replace it with a tablet from another manufacturer as everything else will just feel cheap. I'll wait for the next Surface iterations and try again.

10000lbsofbananas fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 31, 2013

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

10000lbsofbananas posted:

I honestly don't really care if there are no apps for it as I bought it for light web browsing, Netflix, and Youtube.

In my experience, though, any prolonged use of Flash-heavy websites means playing the crash lottery.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Surface RT with touch cover for $199

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-Micros...fepn=5335869999

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

This is a stupid good deal. Picked one up as a gift for my parents since they were looking for a laptop to buy anyway. Worst case I have a glorified Internet Explorer box for youtube/hulu/watchespn on the go if they decide it's trash.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
RT is still pretty gimped but $200 for the full gimped experience is worth it, in my opinion. If I didn't already have a 10 inch tablet I would buy one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Here's some other dumb poo poo I just had to endure: I haven't used my Surface RT for months, since it's only there to test my apps. So I had to install tons of updates. Turns out that piece of poo poo goes to sleep during the update process, even when plugged in, so if you leave it overnight, then pick it up for some random surfing while on the shitter next morning, you'll still be faced with Windows Update, picking up where you left it. Jesus Christ.

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
My old gaming laptop was recently stolen, and I have to replace it in pretty short order. My old HP laptop was decent, but I got a really nice warranty on it (long since run out) where I could send it back for repairs free for 4 years. I'm considering reverting back to a desktop for the short term, and asking for an iPad/Surface for Christmas to fill the gap in mobile computing.

Can any of you suggest a retailer that offers the best combination of price/performance/warranty for Desktop/Laptop PCs? I have not messed with windows 8 at all, and have no idea what I'm getting into there. I am also a computer scientist (mostly on the software side) so I could probably figure out how to build a computer from parts if need be.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

H posted:

My old gaming laptop was recently stolen, and I have to replace it in pretty short order. My old HP laptop was decent, but I got a really nice warranty on it (long since run out) where I could send it back for repairs free for 4 years. I'm considering reverting back to a desktop for the short term, and asking for an iPad/Surface for Christmas to fill the gap in mobile computing.

Can any of you suggest a retailer that offers the best combination of price/performance/warranty for Desktop/Laptop PCs? I have not messed with windows 8 at all, and have no idea what I'm getting into there. I am also a computer scientist (mostly on the software side) so I could probably figure out how to build a computer from parts if need be.

You want the laptop thread and maybe the PC Building thread in SH/SC. There is no desktop PC thread around. I'm guessing because they are mostly the same with terrible warranty support in the consumer space except for Apple which is $$$. This thread is for the ARM based Windows 8 tablets which would fill your need for the mobile computing. However, it's hard to say if you should buy or not because a new iPad is coming out in the next month and possibly a new Surface RT before the end of the year. You can try asking in the tablet recommendation thread closer to Christmas time but most people will steer you towards an iPad unless you need Office.

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 1, 2013

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's some other dumb poo poo I just had to endure: I haven't used my Surface RT for months, since it's only there to test my apps. So I had to install tons of updates. Turns out that piece of poo poo goes to sleep during the update process, even when plugged in, so if you leave it overnight, then pick it up for some random surfing while on the shitter next morning, you'll still be faced with Windows Update, picking up where you left it. Jesus Christ.

yeah it's probably the stupidest loving thing possible

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Are there any mainstream PC games, other than Civ5, that effectively use the touch controls? I was hoping it would work with Torchlight 2 or any other RPG, but can't seem to find anything.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
SimCity 4 works surprisingly well with touch.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Finally got around to setting the $200 refurb Surface RT for my family. So far, really good deal for $200 with the touch cover. Was confused for a bit when a whole bunch of sites were slow as poo poo, but after updates, seems to work pretty well. The build quality is very nice.

Amazon prime HD streaming through Internet Explorer is great and is smooth. MS Office RT works well enough for my parents since it's not like they are going to use macros or anything. Plugs into their printer absolutely fine with no driver issues.

Parents didn't understand why desktop apps didn't work (Can I download Firefox?). Microsoft should really get rid of the desktop for RT. Would have been nice if Windows phone ran on RT as well.

Standby during updates is annoying a hell and is incredibly stupid.

To move tiles it's stupid that you hold over the tile and then drag down to bring up the menu, why couldn't it just be tap and hold?

The "running programs" side bar works fine on a computer with a mouse, with a touchscreen it's rather annoying. There should be a shortcut for an ALT-TAB with a scrolling interface or something.

Standard HDMI port would have been nice rather than the HDMI-D.

Dumb that there is no version of Silverlight for RT.

Still a good device. $300 with a keyboard would be a good deal. If you're just surfing the web, watching youtube or movies, it's great. IE10 on a touchscreen tablet really is a nice browser.

Although I think if they just slapped an Intel Atom processor on it and it ran full Windows 8, I think it would have sold well. Give it 2 USB's and sell a docking station with all the connections you could want and it could be a good desktop replacement/"On the Go" tablet for a lot of people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I changed the settings so you get the whole task list when you swipe in from the left. Otherwise you have to swipe right then back to the left again to see it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
With keyboard, the shortcut to access the Windows app task switcher is Win-Tab.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Couple of things --

Zarfol posted:

Standby during updates is annoying a hell and is incredibly stupid.

I believe this goes away with 8.1, so that's good news!

Zarfol posted:

To move tiles it's stupid that you hold over the tile and then drag down to bring up the menu, why couldn't it just be tap and hold?

That's actually what they changed it to for the start menu in 8.1, since there's now the "all apps view" when you pan down.

Zarfol posted:

The "running programs" side bar works fine on a computer with a mouse, with a touchscreen it's rather annoying. There should be a shortcut for an ALT-TAB with a scrolling interface or something.

You can bring up the bar of all running programs by sliding your finger in from the left edge and back out without lifting, or you can use Windows-Tab to leaf through these. The way it works changes only slightly in 8.1

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the ASUS VivoTab supposed to be 32bit Win8 out of box? The one I played with today was 32bit and I was kind of turned off by that as I've got a handful of 64bit apps I'd like to install if I get one.

Sorry if Surface Pro questions are out of the scope of this thread but I couldn't find a Pro thread. Or I just didn't look very hard.

edit: Oh the processor is only 32bit. Duh.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Is the ASUS VivoTab supposed to be 32bit Win8 out of box? The one I played with today was 32bit and I was kind of turned off by that as I've got a handful of 64bit apps I'd like to install if I get one.

Sorry if Surface Pro questions are out of the scope of this thread but I couldn't find a Pro thread. Or I just didn't look very hard.

edit: Oh the processor is only 32bit. Duh.

Yeah, all the atoms being used in Windows 8 tablets are 32bit. Pretty sure next rev is too :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, all the atoms being used in Windows 8 tablets are 32bit. Pretty sure next rev is too :(

Bay Trail is x86-64, but for one reason or another all launch devices with Bay Trail will use 32-bit Windows. Might be a matter of drivers, but with these more restrictive devices don't expect to be able to upgrade to 64-bit Windows or anything. I imagine 64-bit Bay Trail devices will follow though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Bay Trail is x86-64, but for one reason or another all launch devices with Bay Trail will use 32-bit Windows. Might be a matter of drivers, but with these more restrictive devices don't expect to be able to upgrade to 64-bit Windows or anything. I imagine 64-bit Bay Trail devices will follow though.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly clear to me why the limitation exists, just that 64-bit software support won't be present in launch devices.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, it wasn't exactly clear to me why the limitation exists, just that 64-bit software support won't be present in launch devices.

It's because Microsoft hasn't finished connected standby support in x64 yet: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048599/windows-81-tablets-with-64bit-atom-chips-not-coming-until-q1.html

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Naffer posted:

It's because Microsoft hasn't finished connected standby support in x64 yet: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048599/windows-81-tablets-with-64bit-atom-chips-not-coming-until-q1.html

The Clover Trail Atoms for the first Windows tablets were 64-bit capable as well, but they didn't support Connected Standby in 64-bit, so all of the tablets so far have been 32-bit. You think after all this time they would have it ready.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Kazy posted:

The Clover Trail Atoms for the first Windows tablets were 64-bit capable as well, but they didn't support Connected Standby in 64-bit, so all of the tablets so far have been 32-bit. You think after all this time they would have it ready.

No they weren't: http://ark.intel.com/products/70105/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z2760-1MB-Cache-1_80-GHz

Instruction Set 32-bit

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Sources are stating that the Surface 2 (RT version) is going to start at $499 again for the 32GB and with the same display as the prior surface pro.

Surface pro looks to be the same price range. I can understand the surface pro being $900, especially with full windows 8, haswell processor, intel 5000 (hopefully) graphics, and a touchscreen since it's directly competing with "Designer" ultrabooks.

Surface RT at $500 again is too much. If I had $500 to spend on a tablet, I wouldn't be getting anything with RT on it.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Zarfol posted:

Sources are stating that the Surface 2 (RT version) is going to start at $499 again for the 32GB and with the same display as the prior surface pro.

Surface pro looks to be the same price range. I can understand the surface pro being $900, especially with full windows 8, haswell processor, intel 5000 (hopefully) graphics, and a touchscreen since it's directly competing with "Designer" ultrabooks.

Surface RT at $500 again is too much. If I had $500 to spend on a tablet, I wouldn't be getting anything with RT on it.
I think Microsoft would be a lot better off releasing a Bay Trail tablet at a much cheaper price than the Pro. The $900 price tag makes sense given its internals, but most people are going to think of the Surface Pro as a tablet that can double as a laptop (especially since the type cover is really inferior to a laptop keyboard0, and not the other way around--and therefore, in the minds of most consumers I think the Pro will still seem really too expensive.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zarfol posted:

And Microsoft shows once again it has absolutely no loving clue how the world works any more.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Syrinxx posted:

And Microsoft shows once again it has absolutely no loving clue how the world works any more.

Basically this. Your first RT tablet did not sell well at $500. The second isn't going to be a different story.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
But windows 8 point one! It's point one better at

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Fatal posted:

But windows 8 point one! It's point one better at

I actually like Windows 8.1.

RT, however, is about the stupidest poo poo any company could ever pull. Let's see Apple make an iPad running an ARM build of OS X. "Why can't I install iPhoto!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What's the deal with 7-8" tablets too, do they have anything coming or are they going to miss the boat for another year?

• Locked thread