Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cacator posted:

It's considerably less historically accurate than I was expecting, and I wasn't expecting much in the first place. It basically looks like 300: Samurai Edition. Does there really need to be another gigantic deformed guy with weapons though?

Yeah, I was completely expecting a Hollywood-ified action movie version of the story. That wouldn't have bothered me so much as the apparent complete abandonment of the themes that have made the 47 Ronin resonate over the centuries. You can have a story of extreme honor, loyalty, and vengeance that's at the heart of the history (and the centuries of pop culture that's surrounded them since the actual events) and a crazy martial arts fantasy but the "free the land from the oppressive tyrant" and "he made you a slave" cliches that the trailer pushes as the driving motivations tell me that this is an adaptation that's going very wrong. I think it's a safe bet that (spoilers for three hundred year old history) they won't kill themselves at the end of the movie.

Edit: Actually, a second look at the trailer showed a blip of a scene that might be their mass suicide, but I still suspect that they'll be interrupted and not go through with it.

It's not impossible that this will be a good movie (though the trailer gave me little hope of that as well), but it's not going to be the 47 Ronin movie I want to see.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I actually don't think I read anything about this movie when it was in production that indicated it would be a fantasy movie, I was expecting a more 13 Assassins type deal (which had a supernatural element that was tastefully handled).

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm also baffled about that 47 Ronin trailer, I could have lived with Keanu being one of the 47 Ronin if it had been somewhat true to the original story but him being the only one who can save Japan is just too much.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The first thing I thought I saw Keanu fighting a cave troll was "It can't get any dumber than this, can it?" :ughh:

I'm going to go watch Michael Lonsdale's description of the actual legend from the DeNiro/Reno film Ronin to try to undo some of the damage that trailer did to my brain..

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

CaptainHollywood posted:

That looks good... really good- but I can't help but feel it was made because of the success of Django Unchained.

There is a run of movies "like this" being made to commemorate the 150th anniversary of slavery ending I believe.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

It's considerably less historically accurate than I was expecting, and I wasn't expecting much in the first place. It basically looks like 300: Samurai Edition. Does there really need to be another gigantic deformed guy with weapons though?

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g1fr5vk72M

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Democratic Pirate posted:

The depth in that Gravity trailer was really cool, but the astronauts all looked really fake to me and I couldn't get into the trailer. Seeing it on the big screen would change that opinion though.
Can you explain what makes you think they look fake? Is it the lighting? As far as I'm concerned it looks great, they're just placed in an environment that's very different from that which we live our lives in day to day. There's a harsh sun, unfiltered by the atmosphere, the giant reflector that is the Earth, and then the space shuttle itself that acts as a small reflector as well. Everything else is just the blackness of space, which will result in "unnatural" lighting from the point of view of someone used to living on the Earth. It's basically like taking a bright summer day and turning off the blue of the sky, of course things are gonna look weird.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can you explain what makes you think they look fake?

Their movement looks like really bad CGI. Everything appears to be moving at non-natural speeds, like a video running slightly too fast, especially for zero gravity. It's comical how much they ignore the impact small movements in zero gravity make.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
And why are they not wearing their sun shields? I thought you always wore that down when you're outside?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Obsurveyor posted:

Their movement looks like really bad CGI. Everything appears to be moving at non-natural speeds, like a video running slightly too fast, especially for zero gravity. It's comical how much they ignore the impact small movements in zero gravity make.

I didn't really have that "this looks like CGI" in the IMAX 3D trailer, but in that youtube one I got that feeling a couple of times when Clooney was floating around. Maybe it's just the tiny screen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Obsurveyor posted:

Ah, yeah, I can see that being annoying if you're used to seeing how moving around actually looks. Everything kinda moves super fast in that trailer though, which might be why I didn't really notice it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
A Single Shot - Sam Rockwell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXW_Z9lXNQY

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Obsurveyor posted:

I agree. The CGI isn't bad but the animation isn't completely natural. The rest of the spectacle made up for it though

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oh man, this looks good. Though I'll see anything with Sam Rockwell in it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

ShadeIncarnate posted:

Here is the latest trailer for the movie "Gravity."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pcg7bXgmU

The visuals in this are looking impressive.

Here's two more clips from Gravity, for those of you who can't wait for the full movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-UEca2W9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QQGVvt_iW8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat I really can't wait to see that on IMAX.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For the past two weeks I've heard this being cut down the hall and it just sounded like Sandra Bullock having an orgasm over and over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

For the past two weeks I've heard this being cut down the hall and it just sounded like Sandra Bullock having an orgasm over and over.

Do you plan to see it two or three times, kiimo?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jedit posted:

Do you plan to see it two or three times, kiimo?

I've already watched all the trailers like 20 times each. :flashfap:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I love Alfonso Cuaron, but I think Gravity looks like poo poo - mainly because I hate the casting. If he'd cast unknowns I would've bought into it much more, but then I also guess the film wouldn't of got made.

Simply put though I can't imagine a better fate for Sandra Bullock than drifting off into the abyss of space.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I love Alfonso Cuaron, but I think Gravity looks like poo poo - mainly because I hate the casting. If he'd cast unknowns I would've bought into it much more, but then I also guess the film wouldn't of got made.

Simply put though I can't imagine a better fate for Sandra Bullock than drifting off into the abyss of space.

How can you hate the casting when by its own admission its giving you EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT!!!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I kinda feel the same way, but I'm hoping the film's good enough that I'll forget about it 10 minutes in.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

So, here's the trailer for the Japanese remake of Unforgiven. I will definitely watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAwbhrqSPgk

Had no idea this was happening, and it makes too much sense. Unforgiven happens as civilization is catching up to the frontier, and the old cowboy days are slowly disappearing, which has a great parallel to the Meiji era of Japan.

Come to think of it, it's like a serious version of Rurouni Kenshin :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Steve Yun posted:

Had no idea this was happening, and it makes too much sense. Unforgiven happens as civilization is catching up to the frontier, and the old cowboy days are slowly disappearing, which has a great parallel to the Meiji era of Japan.

Come to think of it, it's like a serious version of Rurouni Kenshin :v:

I wonder if there are Japanese fans of the original Unforgiven are up in arms and angrily posting on 2ch over a Japanese remake of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

I wonder if there are Japanese fans of the original Unforgiven are up in arms and angrily posting on 2ch over a Japanese remake of it.

:colbert: "Why do they need to remake Unforgiven? Just because we Japanese are too lazy to watch a movie that's not made in Japan?"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's only fair to turn a western back into a samurai movie for a change.

(samurai-ish)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I've done a 180 on Sandra Bullock after seeing The Heat, the same 180 I did on Channing Tatum after 21Jump Street. She's legit and I'll dig her in Gravity.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Sandra Bullock's always been legit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bullock has been legit since Speed 1 and 2. :colbert:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The Net. Legit.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I24d30buecw

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lenina Huxley all day long, son.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When did the big budget action/adventure movies stop having narrators in the trailer? I was watching old trailers on YouTube for things like Escape From New York and Waterworld and they've got the whole "In a world where..." "One man..." "An epic motion picture event" and the like. I remember seemingly every trailer having narration like that in my childhood. Now it seems to be restricted to low-budget comedies and family feel-gooderies. What happened?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

When did the big budget action/adventure movies stop having narrators in the trailer? I was watching old trailers on YouTube for things like Escape From New York and Waterworld and they've got the whole "In a world where..." "One man..." "An epic motion picture event" and the like. I remember seemingly every trailer having narration like that in my childhood. Now it seems to be restricted to low-budget comedies and family feel-gooderies. What happened?

Well, the original "In a world" guy died.

Edit: I can't find it online but at the movies today I saw a trailer for Ben Stiller's The Secret Life of Walter Mitty which was pretty cool.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I can't find it online but at the movies today I saw a trailer for Ben Stiller's The Secret Life of Walter Mitty which was pretty cool.

They've been trying to remake Mitty for literally twenty years. The idea of there being a trailer out is surreal.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Sagebrush posted:

Think about it. Those movies were all about INTRODUCING a new character. When the last time you've seen that? In fact who is the last ICONIC character introduced by film?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Don LaFontaine dying was a huge blow to trailer voiceovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Max22 posted:

They've been trying to remake Mitty for literally twenty years. The idea of there being a trailer out is surreal.

I looked it up a little bit ago when I was trying to find the trailer online and I was really surprised to see that Stiller directed it himself, it looked more like something from Gondry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CaptainHollywood posted:

Think about it. Those movies were all about INTRODUCING a new character. When the last time you've seen that? In fact who is the last ICONIC character introduced by film?

I suppose this is true, but thinking back on the last action/adventure trailers I remember seeing that involved new properties (Pacific Rim, Elysium, and that Tom Cruise thing with the shiny white glider hovercraft whatever), none of them had narrators.

And thinking back, I remember trailers for stuff like The World Is Not Enough having Don LaFontaine's narration, and everyone in the entire world knows who James Bond is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's universally viewed as tacky, these days. Instead, it's become preferred to use expository dialogue/monologue taken directly from the film (or at least an in-character monologue performed by the actor for the trailer).

• Locked thread