Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm currently running with a suite of mods for gameplay including one that doesnt drain fatigue while running (holy poo poo I couldn't fathom playing this game walking everywhere), GCD for leveling, and a personally edited version of Combat Enhanced - Depth Perception that sets your initial attack rating at +50 so even though you hit most of the time you can still miss but it isn't the issue of miss miss miss miss miss like the vanilla game. Also gets around the issue of sanctuary, agility, and weapon stats being useless like most always hit mods cause. I just changed it so that unlike the original you do more damage the better you get with a weapon, unlike the original which had you doing 90% less damage at the start and only once you reached 90+ in a weapon skill did you do full damage (unless you are using silver or enchanted weapons and this breaks the whole system :psyduck:).

My current playthrough I'm using that Economy Adjuster mod which I'm on the fence with. On the one hand Morrowind vanilla has a terribly broken economy you can game really quick, on the other I feel like maybe it goes too far. The merchant changes are fine, as is getting rid of the easter egg merchants, but travel costs are increased to ridiculous levels (testing out my Tamriel Rebuilt leveled lists patch a trip from Seyda Neen to Gnisis was like 800 gold I think. That's like the cost for an entire suit of bonemold armor.)

And training is made stupidly expensive. Its like 3000 gold to raise a single level of any skill in the low 30s, on top of not being able to make as much money because travel costs + merchants are now amazingly stingy with sell prices. He should have just put a level cap in place like later TES games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

The ability to do whatever you want is what keeps drawing me to this game. I never played Oblivion or Skyrim enough to get a character really settled into the world. I heard from another Morrowind modder that he quit playing Skyrim after he claimed a house and filled it with trophies from his conquests, only to return to it later to find all the original poo poo magically appeared back on the shelves and all his stuff piled in the middle of the floor. His thought at that point was, "I can't even trick out my own pad in this game? gently caress this."

:confused:
What do you mean claim a home like did he buy one or do the morrowind style 'murder its owner and take over his house' because that doesn't work anymore.
I mean you have the choice of about what 10 or so homes and will get the chance to earn several more rooms and locations as permanent so there are plenty of choices for homes.
Frankly I beat morrowind for the first time a few weeks ago and the outside of the redoran stronghold was basically a landfill of loot when I finally went to red mountain. :v:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

He's talking about Skyrim. It is a lot less friendly towards just leaving loot around like Morrowind.

Housing in Skyrim vanilla is pretty buggy but all the unofficial patches have fixed that I believe. I can understand complaints about Skyrim but really by this point it is such a different beast with all the patches compared to release.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Heavy Lobster posted:

This applies almost exactly to the game world too. Later ES games leave much less to the imagination, and the amount of content falls into this weird gray area where it just feels incomplete - when something looks interesting and something scripted doesn't happen, the immediate thought is either "oh, they must have cut content" or "there's probably a quest here later." Morrowind has enough locations that exist for the sake of existing without having quests tied to them that when you stumble on something really unusually cool it just feels natural, and the blank spaces between (see: almost every tomb) feel like they're also a part of the landscape. Morrowind's world is just empty enough to give you things to do, but still encourage a sort of Minecraft-esque player-made story and freedom of imagination that Oblivion and Skyrim unintentionally stymied. Honestly I'm not upset because it's unintuitive as gently caress - adding more content to a game shouldn't make it less engaging - but that's how I've always taken it.

First time I played Morrowind, I was travelling to Tel Fyr as part of the MQ and stumbled across the cave that has the Chrysamere (which you travel to in the penultimate Imperial Legion quest), so I took it and proceeded to wield it through the rest of the MQ and both expansions.

The best part about that is that there's enough named artifacts scattered around the world that AREN'T associated with quests, so that whenever you find an artifact on your first playthrough or two you're not sure if it's important for a quest or if it's just there.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Berke Negri posted:

He's talking about Skyrim. It is a lot less friendly towards just leaving loot around like Morrowind.

Housing in Skyrim vanilla is pretty buggy but all the unofficial patches have fixed that I believe. I can understand complaints about Skyrim but really by this point it is such a different beast with all the patches compared to release.

That's good to know. I still keep meaning to give Skyrim another shot since they added a Telvanni tileset in the last expansion, just haven't gotten around to it. I love building mushroom towers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dragonborn is pretty much a love letter to Morrowind fans from Bethesda so I can't recommend it enough. If you're down with bonemold armor and weird mushroom towers, go for it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, the freedom and world exploration are unmatched, but the combat is pretty lacking. I'd be happiest if I could turn Morrowind's combat into MMO style tab targeting, hotbar cast order on top of auto attacks with auto-aiming combat, and if I could just manually choose what skills to upgrade when I leveled.

In my head, my perfect version of Morrowind has Skyrim's combat and skill trees--with all of Morrowind's skills intact. I don't know how it would work, exactly. Still, I really like the idea that increasing a skill does more than directly translate into an increase in accuracy and/or damage.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What hooked me on Morrowind was a mages guild quest where I had to get from Ald'Ruhn to Maar Gan, and I was too stupid yet to know that the silt strider could just take me instantly, so I decided to walk, following the roadsigns. It really felt like a dangerous and exhausting journey through the desert with lots of surprises along the way, and walking anywhere in that game feels like that. You can go into any direction and be sure to find some interesting thing going on or some item you never knew you wanted.

I also agree with what someone said earlier about the world feeling like it's not constructed around you. I don't like games constructed around the player in general, and Morrowind really feels like it has its own savage logic in which you are simply intruding. For instance, a given canton in Vivec might have one bookseller, or maybe two, or maybe none at all. It might have a few inns or none. The way the world is built does not necessarily follow your convenience (where one of each store would suffice for every location, in this example) and I really like that a lot, it's a bit like parachuting out of an airplane into an unknown country.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
You know, I've never been further in Morrowind than the first town. I waited in the tower for that guy to hide whatever he hid in that stump and then I stole it. Then I entered one of the shops and stole everything there too. Then I tried to sell it back and was attacked. I think Morrowind actually scares me with its scope and freedom, so I've been in a paralysis about playing it. I think what might help me if I could just become a wilderness wanderer, rarely having to deal with the complexities or people and possessions, but still experience interesting things. Perhaps one day I'd return to civilization, but when I'd found whatever I wanted to out there. Is this a viable playthrough?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
That's a completely viable playthrough. I knew a guy who played through as an Argonian pearl diver and just wandered around harvesting pearls to sell. You can really do whatever you want. I think what got you in trouble the first time was you tried to sell something you stole back to the merchant you stole it from. If you steal say, a diamond, from a particular merchant you can't sell any diamonds to them for the rest of the game because they'll be convinced its the same one you took. Just keep in mind whose shops you've wiped out and you'll be ok.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The thing that got me into Morrowind was the Water, no lie. I remember getting off the boat my first playthrough and just staring at it.

This was on Xbox at the time, so loading times were horrendous. I ended up going out and building a gaming PC and Morrowind GOTY the day after.

One of the reasons I regard Morrowind so highly is the character and the world building. Bethesda wasn't restricted to having six or seven voice actors at all, and it shows. That, and the fact that you end up actually feeling like you're living in this world with all kinds of caste and race disparity - it is genius.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Are there any mods that scale up the UI? Morrowind on 1920x1080 is killing my eyes when I look for the minimap or my HP/weapon condition/spell cast chance.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I only ever beat Morrowind on the Xbox. I always get too caught up in modding on the PC version, or it ran like poo poo. Can't wait for OpenMW to actually to be in a state where it's mostly playable. It'd be great to get more than ~22 FPS in Morrowind. Especially considering I've got a Phenom II X4 955 and a AMD Radeon 6970 with 4GB of ram.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Shima Honnou posted:

Are there any mods that scale up the UI? Morrowind on 1920x1080 is killing my eyes when I look for the minimap or my HP/weapon condition/spell cast chance.

I'll second this question and also ask if there are any mods that change the font to something readable, preferably sans serif?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

That's a completely viable playthrough. I knew a guy who played through as an Argonian pearl diver and just wandered around harvesting pearls to sell. You can really do whatever you want. I think what got you in trouble the first time was you tried to sell something you stole back to the merchant you stole it from. If you steal say, a diamond, from a particular merchant you can't sell any diamonds to them for the rest of the game because they'll be convinced its the same one you took. Just keep in mind whose shops you've wiped out and you'll be ok.

Yeah, after I got attacked, my train of thought went down 'Oh I have to reload, so I don't get attacked and I can mix/max my gold and reputation'. I guess this just isn't that kind of game. There is no ideal character or playthrough, except what you choose for yourself. Choice can be a frightening thing, heh.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Exioce posted:

Yeah, after I got attacked, my train of thought went down 'Oh I have to reload, so I don't get attacked and I can mix/max my gold and reputation'. I guess this just isn't that kind of game. There is no ideal character or playthrough, except what you choose for yourself. Choice can be a frightening thing, heh.

One of the things I'm liking about my current run is that I don't have a weapon, but I'm not doing unarmed either. I've got a mod that makes magicka regen at a slow rate and I've just been playing as a mage who exclusively casts poo poo like lightning spells and frying all my enemies. Pretty fun, especially since Blood & Gore makes it so some of the bodies sit there coursing with electricity after I'm done with them.

With or without mods, it's a game you can play basically however you want. My last run through was as a Legionnaire who only used spears!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I just installed the MGSO mod and everything looks absolutely stunning! Except...

Night time outside is absolutely pitch black. I can't see the ground in front of me. I can see lights and stuff in the distance so I know my game is working though. I tried to reconfigure the MGSOO program to turn off the blackness at night but I don't think it's doing anything.

Any ideas?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 25, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Turn up your ingame gamma?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Well, that works for visibility outdoors at night at the expense of making everything else look washed out and awful.

Are there parameters I can adjust for specifically exterior night time lighting?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey out of curiosity if I have a level 20 character that has just finished the main quest with basically top-tier gear, can I jump right into tribunal and bloodmoon or so I hold one or both off for a while?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GreatGreen posted:

Well, that works for visibility outdoors at night at the expense of making everything else look washed out and awful.

Are there parameters I can adjust for specifically exterior night time lighting?

In Morrowind.ini there are settings that control nights and light brightness, I think. I forget what they are off hand, but I'll post them when I'm home.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That would be amazing, thank you!

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Is there any mod that'll make it so Destruction/Alteration/Conjuration/etc experience is based on something besides number of casts?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Hey out of curiosity if I have a level 20 character that has just finished the main quest with basically top-tier gear, can I jump right into tribunal and bloodmoon or so I hold one or both off for a while?

Yeah, you can go for either of them at that point.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, you can go for either of them at that point.

I think Tribunal was meant to be played first, despite how the first two quests will make you feel. At they very least, it was released before Bloodmoon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lawman 0 posted:

You can do Tribunal. Bloodmoon will wreck you unless you are a living god.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

You can do Tribunal. Bloodmoon will wreck you unless you are a living god.

How much will I have to abuse alchemy? :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Lawman 0 posted:

How much will I have to abuse alchemy? :v:

A lot.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm currently replaying it as a Telvanni lizard wizard (but not the Lizard Wizard) and I pretty much said screw abusing alchemy, I'll just use the editor and console. It's much less painful and achieves the same result!

Besides, those Centurion Archers are bullshit. gently caress those guys.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there a mod that lets you customize the size and location of your and your enemy's status bars during combat?

The default ones are microscopic and so far to the side that you can't see them during combat.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'm going to assume that because the post before this one happened yesterday that this isn't a double post. If I'm wrong I apologize.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the way the MSGO package lets you handle combat now is great. You can setup scripting so that you can play with Oblivion's combat system, where you always have your melee equipment out, and pressing the cast button instantly and seamlessly puts your weapon down, casts the spell, then puts your weapon back up. You can even set the game so that temporarily unequipping your weapons takes no animation time, but instead happens instantly, so the whole affair takes just about as much time as it did in Oblivion, too, which is to say it's all pretty much as fast as it can be but there's still just enough movement that it doesn't look buggy or amateur. It's great!

Well, I combined this new mechanic with the built in macro editor so that when you hit a quickslot button, the game reads it as you hitting the quickslot button then immediately hitting the cast button. In other words, I can now play as if I have an MMO style hotbar. I can setup a cast order and just press the number keys to have the spell instantly cast, which is something I've wanted out of this game for a very long time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 27, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Shima Honnou posted:

One of the things I'm liking about my current run is that I don't have a weapon, but I'm not doing unarmed either. I've got a mod that makes magicka regen at a slow rate and I've just been playing as a mage who exclusively casts poo poo like lightning spells and frying all my enemies. Pretty fun, especially since Blood & Gore makes it so some of the bodies sit there coursing with electricity after I'm done with them.

I'm doing the same but pretty much only using mysticism. Absorb health beats the hell out of any destruction spell I've come across. I also had a really fun game playing as a coward with sneak, illusion, and conjuration. My goal was to hide in corners whimpering while assorted daedra fight everything for me. Eventually I made a constant effect ring with summon clanfear, which is hilarious in dungeons.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ok, I'm a bit stuck. I'm trying to fix Uvirith's Legacy and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy. Both mod-makers, for some reason or another, decided that putting collisionable lamps in the middle of Telvanni doorways was a good idea (it's a terrible idea). I cannot enter the Foreman's house or use the Second-Floor doorway in the upper tower. I tried editing the lamps out in the Construction Set, but this changes the date modified for both, and throws up a bunch of errors when I try to load the game. How do I fix this?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Rhjamiz posted:

Ok, I'm a bit stuck. I'm trying to fix Uvirith's Legacy and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy. Both mod-makers, for some reason or another, decided that putting collisionable lamps in the middle of Telvanni doorways was a good idea (it's a terrible idea). I cannot enter the Foreman's house or use the Second-Floor doorway in the upper tower. I tried editing the lamps out in the Construction Set, but this changes the date modified for both, and throws up a bunch of errors when I try to load the game. How do I fix this?

Using disable in the console should work, I imagine. Obviously not a permanent fix (only carries over on that character), but it might do the trick.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

Using disable in the console should work, I imagine. Obviously not a permanent fix (only carries over on that character), but it might do the trick.

I'll take it.

Edit: Worked for the inside of Uvirith Tower, but the Foreman's house still has some kind of invisible geometry blocking the door. Is there a simple way to edit the plugin and then change it's Modify date or is this going to be a huge pain in the rear end?

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 1, 2013

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rhjamiz posted:

I'll take it.

Edit: Worked for the inside of Uvirith Tower, but the Foreman's house still has some kind of invisible geometry blocking the door. Is there a simple way to edit the plugin and then change it's Modify date or is this going to be a huge pain in the rear end?

Use Wrye Mash.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about that. It's been years and years since I've touched Morrowind modding.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Playing Morrowind over the last few days has reminded me just how far the quality of Elder scrolls games fell with the advent of quest objective markers.

Having to read directions and then follow them manually to your destination completely rules. It is not tedious, it is great. It puts you in the world and forces you to really internalize and understand your environment like no other game I've ever played does. In other words, it forces you to think. And spending time thinking about these things makes you feel like you have become more invested in the game, which somehow makes you care more about the world you find yourself in.

Another example of similar design philosophy was apparent in a quest I just completed. I was told that in order for someone to speak to me, I would have to gain his favor. To do this, I would have to find out about what he liked, and then present them with a gift of that thing... because that's how his culture works. Well, it turns out that the guy likes a particular type of book. I know this because I was forced to pay attention to it because I didn't have to rely on a quest marker. You aren't told what specific book you need to get the guy, all you're told is that he likes a particular type of book, and it's up to you to go and read a few books on your own and determine which book most suits the type.

This quest seems simple when I type it out, but from a gameplay perspective it was incredible to actually complete. It was so, so much better than just hearing "this person likes this book. Go give it to him." And then following a point on my compass that it would eventually lead me to a random book connected to a quest marker that I would not give a poo poo about, which I would then focus my mouse on and press "E" to equip in my inventory, then go back and talk to the guy, not giving a poo poo about any of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that all nostalgia aside, this game is really great at what it tries to do.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 2, 2013

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I highly expect it won't apply to any people here, but if you've any interest in purchasing Morrowind, anybody, wait a month, because Bethesda is releasing The Elder Scrolls Anthology, including all 5 main TES titles- Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GotY, Oblivion GotY, and Skyrim Legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Rhjamiz posted:

Do you mean the hanging lamps? Huh, I never had a collision problem with them. Why does no one tell me these things? If people tell me these things, I can fix them for the next release.