Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i like all the people threatening him with "i have filed a fraud complaint" when the kickstarter terms expressly state, over and over again, that you aren't obligated to get anything from the process

bunch of loving idiots

kickstarter terms don't actually mean much in court, someone was successfully sued for their failed kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nannerpus_ posted:

they have 4 phds on hand, maybe they have something in mind, say, i don't know, research?*

*didn't read anything about it but that and like, 2 other lines

doesn't negate my last sentence, space companies are throwing millions around on trying every possible thing, even reviving lunacy like using 99% peroxide and zip fuels, because reducing cost to orbit by like 1% is worth billions (especially when you're talking about military satellite launches).

then there's the billions the MIC throws at anything that looks like it can kill stuff - a launcher capable of getting a kilo of material to 7 km/s would be causing tiny stunted hardons all the way from burbank to a load-bearing drywall box in the swamps of virginia

if either of these groups, who have more than 4 phds between them, even thought for a fraction of a second that there was anything at all in this, these guys would need scuba gear to breathe under all the money being thrown at them

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

TOOT BOOT posted:

kickstarter terms don't actually mean much in court, someone was successfully sued for their failed kickstarter

which one? i wanna laffo @ it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Al! posted:

whats so hard about re-themeing monopoly

it's actually really hard to manufacture and ship a product for a reasonable price without an established supply chain. shocking I know

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Amethyst posted:

it's actually really hard to manufacture and ship a product for a reasonable price without an established supply chain. shocking I know

yeah no poo poo

he should've just gone here

https://www.mymonopoly.com/

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

don't the kickstarter terms pretty much just say "if you bail we're not responsible if your backers want to pursue legal action" or something anyway

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.

so if you gently caress up you have to refund anyone who paid for the "you get a copy of lovely project 69" tier and above don't you?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

but kickstarter keeps the 8% or whatever they took

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

but kickstarter keeps the 8% or whatever they took

it's pretty ingenious really

all they do is hosting, once they get their cut they completely wash their hands of everything

pretty much pure profit assuming they stay relevant

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

as far as startups go they actually have a business model that works

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Orbi posted:

it's pretty ingenious really

all they do is hosting, once they get their cut they completely wash their hands of everything

pretty much pure profit assuming they stay relevant

if you can make yourself a middleman in the right spot, you can make a lot of money

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

looking it up the guy filed bankruptcy because he was too dumb to set up an LLC before he applied to kickstarter

http://www.inc.com/eric-markowitz/when-kickstarter-investors-want-their-money-back.html

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kickstarter person doesn't know jack poo poo about business or manufacturing and ends up wasting tens of thousands of dollars to eventually produce nothing. shocking

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
what was the original kickstarter 'poster child'? pebble?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

WorkingPeer posted:

what was the original kickstarter 'poster child'? pebble?

i think so (it turns out the pebble was just a lovely lcd watch with some limited smart phone connectivity and terrible battery life)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Do you hate it when you're programming and you have to move between your mouse and keyboard? WELL LOOK NO FURTHER PROGRAMMERS, THIS BACKWARDS LOOKING TYPEWRITER THING IS FOR YOU

Some guy is trying to make a fan film of Raphael and Casey Jones vs Rocksteady and Bebop. I don't remember this being any sort of infamous fight or anything.

Ever had problems hitching your house caravan up to your car? Well, look no further you hicks! (must be put together then removed before and after hitching, some assembley required)

I love the powerglove, it's so ba...wait

Migishu fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 25, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

i think so (it turns out the pebble was just a lovely lcd watch with some limited smart phone connectivity and terrible battery life)

It was suppose to have an e-ink screen but then downgraded because gently caress you that's why

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Migishu posted:

[s]house[/url]

Dec 26, 2012

Migishu posted:

It was suppose to have an e-ink screen but then downgraded because gently caress you that's why

turns out the concept is kind of lovely without eink, who knew

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

i am a brilliant human being :colbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Migishu posted:

Do you hate it when you're programming and you have to move between your mouse and keyboard? WELL LOOK NO FURTHER PROGRAMMERS, THIS BACKWARDS LOOKING TYPEWRITER THING IS FOR YOU
it's not a "backwards-looking typewriter thing", it's two halves of a keyboard that you attach to the arms of your gaming chair. it's really funny because the autastic guy who invented it goes on and on about how it makes programming easier and then the entire second half of the video is testimonials from ~real gamers~ ecstatic about how it improves their kdrs and dpss. also this:

you really should watch the video

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
are there any rules about how many times you can re-list a lovely, failed kickstarter? i guess not since it doesn't affect kickstarter itself.

anyway, fresh off their triumphant showing at San Diego Comic-Con (not at the show mind you, but at "Jolt N Joes" sports bar somewhere near it), Shadow of the Eternals is relaunching their kickstarter today. the demo they have up on youtube looks exactly like Eternal Darkness, even down to minute pieces of level design. i'm not sure how they've explained how they're supposed to publish this and not be sued by Nintendo yet, but it doesn't matter since they just want some nerd money they can steal and then vanish.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

they claim that nintendo is cool with it

obviously they are lying

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's not a "backwards-looking typewriter thing", it's two halves of a keyboard that you attach to the arms of your gaming chair. it's really funny because the autastic guy who invented it goes on and on about how it makes programming easier and then the entire second half of the video is testimonials from ~real gamers~ ecstatic about how it improves their kdrs and dpss. also this:

they dont even clean the keyboards before the do a close up

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's not a "backwards-looking typewriter thing", it's two halves of a keyboard that you attach to the arms of your gaming chair

when you look at the image in the video before playing it, it really looks like a backwards typewriter :thejoke:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

lotsa pebble ignorants itt

welp cya gonna flaunt my gods own smartwatch and woo the ladies

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of me wants to be :smith: because the guy basically hosed his life up but wow if he didn't earn every bit of that debacle

entrepreneurship is almost always risky but you really don't get to say, "Man this is hard!!!" when you made no effort to learn applicable law or get advice from someone who knows what the gently caress they're talking about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Part of me wants to be :smith: because the guy basically hosed his life up but wow if he didn't earn every bit of that debacle

entrepreneurship is almost always risky but you really don't get to say, "Man this is hard!!!" when you made no effort to learn applicable law or get advice from someone who knows what the gently caress they're talking about.

or even know how much the thing you're going to sell is going to cost you - much as he's trying to claim it was suppliers gouging him because they saw how much sweet ks money he had, he's talking poo poo because if he'd actually had a quote in hand (not a contract or an mou, just a loving quote) he would have got it for that price

what i bet actually happened is he sent a sketch on a back of a napkin to a hk factory and they went "yeah sure we could make that for 10 bucks i suppose" and then when he actually delivered the specs they were completely unrelated to what he'd originally submitted because him and his idiot hipster buddies had decided it needed lots of cool new features to put on the kickstarter page

(that or the quote he did have in hand was FOB and he completely forgot about import duties, taxes, currency conversion, shipping, and everything else)

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
gentlemen, you are here because i'd like you to be a part of a revolution that will change the face of table-top gaming forever

*unveils monopoly board with rage faces badly taped on*

we call it memeopoly.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

penus de milo posted:

gentlemen, you are here because i'd like you to be a part of a revolution that will change the face of table-top gaming forever

*unveils monopoly board with rage faces badly taped on*

we call it memeopoly.

poo poo patent that idea before reddit get ahold of it

probably already done

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Migishu posted:

poo poo patent that idea before reddit get ahold of it

probably already done

isnt the rageface guy really litigious

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The ubuntuphone modified their prices after hitting the brickwall that was their godawful pricing scheme of "$600 for the first 24hrs, $230 more afterwards"

money is slowly chugging back in, but it's still loving terrible

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
hey guys, this will totally charge your phone that hasn't been released yet

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Migishu posted:

when you look at the image in the video before playing it, it really looks like a backwards typewriter :thejoke:
i know, that's why i said

Sham bam bamina! posted:

because it's way funnier than that and you're post could have been ten times better if you'd actually seen it

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Shadow of the Eternals shitstarter back up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0

Endorsed by David Hayter, Accomplished Actor, Screenwriter and Director (who is in the game) and now with PS4 as a stretch goal.

Nintendo logos and Eternal Darkness poo poo splattered all over the page, with the most important part hidden at the bottom: "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a registered trademark of Nintendo. All rights reserved."

Not sure if they're still doing their side non-kickstarter thing on their website where they keep all your money even if no game comes out

Tato fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 25, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

because it's way funnier than that and you're post could have been ten times better if you'd actually seen it

im at work :goleft:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
alternate: i just report the terrible kickstarters, I don't actually look at them

I do at home and laugh like a bitch

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Tato posted:

Shadow of the Eternals shitstarter back up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0

Endorsed by David Hayter, Accomplished Actor, Screenwriter and Director (who is in the game) and now with PS4 as a stretch goal.

Nintendo logos and Eternal Darkness poo poo splattered all over the page, with the most important part hidden at the bottom: "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a registered trademark of Nintendo. All rights reserved."

Not sure if they're still doing their side non-kickstarter thing on their website where they keep all your money even if no game comes out

iirc david hayter wrote the watchmen movie and one of the x-men sequels

he's just bitter about being kicked outta mgs and wants back in games

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

is that thing going to burn butane and turn that heat into electricity using a thermocouple?

arent thermocouples horrifically inefficient and basically only useful as thermometers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

WorkingPeer posted:

is that thing going to burn butane and turn that heat into electricity using a thermocouple?

arent thermocouples horrifically inefficient and basically only useful as thermometers?

Wait for it... They are even used in NASA projects; for instance, the Curiosity Mars Rover, and space stations.

well i mean if it's good enough for NASA i guess it's good enough for my lovely phone charger

• Locked thread