Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Managed to almost beat wave 30 my first time through Chillaxian. It's great to hit that zone where all your lasers are landing. Though its impossible to keep the side shuttles alive, those things are huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

braveplan
May 1, 2013

A few Rockstar games are on sale:

GTA3: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-iii/id479662730
Vice City: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-vice-city/id578448682
Max Payne: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/max-payne-mobile/id512142109

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MissMarple posted:

I think the most depressing thing about that Crabitron story is the boost they show on Crabstarter from going to PAX Aus. The extra income was about $100 or something? That probably didn't even cover their travel and accommodation. Hopefully the small boost in the charts will give them some earning momentum over the next week or so.

Pretty much all media counts for nothing with mobile gaming. The only thing that matters is Apple featuring.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

cactuscarpet posted:

Well, I just bought it with €2,69 I didn't know I had left on my prepaid card. This'd better be good, goons!

EDIT: I guess it's just me, but that was a huge disappointment. The controls are really sluggish and terrible and I didn't have fun playing it at all!
Dunno, maybe give it another go? For me, the controls clicked, and then I was reflecting lasers and piercing-shot'ing hippy vans like nobody's business. It's probably my favorite "games that could only be made on the iPad" game.

I wonder if there's a correlation between big hands and not digging the game. I also couldn't see it working as well on a Mini.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Dunno, maybe give it another go? For me, the controls clicked, and then I was reflecting lasers and piercing-shot'ing hippy vans like nobody's business. It's probably my favorite "games that could only be made on the iPad" game.

I wonder if there's a correlation between big hands and not digging the game. I also couldn't see it working as well on a Mini.

As a big handed person who found it awkward to control this claim might have some credibility.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It is kind of demanding control-wise though, as in you'll need both hands and a stable surface to play on. Most of the games I play just take a few one handed :haw: or thumb actions to play.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are there any iOS physics sims out there that are any good? Specifically I am addicted to bridge building games because I like to send buses crashing into the river as punishment for man's folly of the wheel create structures that span a thing!

Lurker God
Jan 28, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT GETTING OWNED BY DAVID HOROWITZ (AND BEING FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWISH RACE LOL)sieg heil ronald mcdonald;;

Do these control well?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

Pretty much all media counts for nothing with mobile gaming. The only thing that matters is Apple featuring.

I think people reading a thread like this tend tend to overestimate the number of app shoppers who pay any attention at all to cell phone gaming news.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Lurker God posted:

Do these control well?

Can only talk for Vice City but absolutely not.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
All the X person shooter (1st/3rd/whatever) or RPG I've played have (well, except Iesabel) left bottom area designated to makeshift joysticks and right bottom as action buttons. It's not too bad once you get used to it but it does feel rather strange for me as I'm more used to keyboard and mouse.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The Pacific Rim game is terrible, right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

omg chael crash posted:

For $1 after being $5, I figured I'd take the plunge since I was fresh outta the theater and wanted to have something about it.

It's a pretty crummy game, but I don't feel ripped off for a dollar. I'm more upset that the game doesn't have the badass theme song from the film.

(also, it's another one of those stupid games that blocks iPod Touches by a "compass requirement" even though the latest iPod Touch could run circles around the game, hardware-wise)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

JazzFlight posted:

For $1 after being $5, I figured I'd take the plunge since I was fresh outta the theater and wanted to have something about it.

It's a pretty crummy game, but I don't feel ripped off for a dollar. I'm more upset that the game doesn't have the badass theme song from the film.

(also, it's another one of those stupid games that blocks iPod Touches by a "compass requirement" even though the latest iPod Touch could run circles around the game, hardware-wise)

Ah, I'm bummer that I missed it at .99.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Lurker God posted:

Do these control well?

I can only speak to GTA3, which is unplayable.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

omg chael crash posted:

It's a licensed game released in time for the movie, on your touch screen phone; of course it's terrible.

You know what's not terrible? Helsing's Fire. Everyone needs to know about Helsing's Fire. This is my periodic HEY GUYS GET HELSING'S FIRE AND TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS post.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 25, 2013

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Lurker God posted:

Do these control well?

I picked up Max Payne because why not. It controls about as well as you would expect a third parson shooter on ios to control. I would say if you are a Max Payne fan and have ever played and enjoyed a third person shooter on ios, go for it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

xzzy posted:

It's a great game but it's okay. :raise:

Every single review for that game is amazing.

I try to guess for each one if it was written by a teenager or old person who doesn't get technology.

I'm not too sure about Mr. one star "I hope it's good because I'm a gymnast: I hope".

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm trying to play 400 Days on the iPhone and it doesn't seem to be available? I recently installed it again (after purchasing all the episodes and beating them) but everything simply says "coming soon". Any idea on how I can just download 400 days?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Parkingtigers posted:

I bought it at $5 because I feel honourbound to reward whimsy, but yeah for such a niche game it did need to have a lower price of entry. A unique and lovely game, it's sad it didn't do better. Nothing else like it exists, and when we keep on getting games on all platforms that are so staid and formulaic and safe it's because no one wants to make a crab game that no one buys.

I will continue to throw money at odd little games, because I want odd little games to exist.

I am still playing Punch Quest obsessively. The 150,000 goal to unlock Arena mode is genius. I don't even know what Arena mode is yet I tell you this: it will be unlocked by me. Only 159 games to go!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SquadronROE posted:

Are there any iOS physics sims out there that are any good? Specifically I am addicted to bridge building games because I like to send buses crashing into the river as punishment for man's folly of the wheel create structures that span a thing!

Have you played Bridgey Jones?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JazzFlight posted:

Why do they do this? What earthly reason could they have for wanting their game on iPhones but not iPods?

Also, late to the party but count me in among the people who really wanted to love Crabitron but just couldn't. If I'm on my iPad I'm either leaning back in a chair or lying down in bed. I tried kind of balancing it on my knees for a bit but that didn't work out. It really does have to be flat on a table, and with how hosed my back is after a day of sitting in front of my computer the last thing I want to do is hunch over an iPad on my kitchen table.

I really wanted to like it too, because I'm a huge advocate for games on touchscreen devices that can't exist in other places. Way too much of what we have is either lovely ports that try to cram conventional controls into a touch screen environment or lazy uses of touch screen that can easily be done by a mouse and/or directional keys elsewhere. It's loving rare to see a game that quite simply can not be done on any other platform and we need more of those.

I found the bit about the dev finding that kids loved it intriguing, though. I'm guessing kids are already used to having to use iPads etc. flat on a table just due to the relative size issue. I find it annoying to hold my iPad up when I'm at my absolute laziest, I imagine it would be really onerous if you were an 8 or a 10 year old. That plus smaller hands probably takes out a lot of the frustrations that kept me from enjoying it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Why do they do this? What earthly reason could they have for wanting their game on iPhones but not iPods?

Apple doesn't give you a lot of granularity in disqualifying devices, so you'd have some dude with a first-gen ipod trying to run a game that would make it burst into flames, then one-starring you on the app store. So you get somewhat nonsensical requirements just to block out older devices because Apple won't let you do it any other way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Psion posted:

Apple doesn't give you a lot of granularity in disqualifying devices, so you'd have some dude with a first-gen ipod trying to run a game that would make it burst into flames, then one-starring you on the app store. So you get somewhat nonsensical requirements just to block out older devices because Apple won't let you do it any other way.

I get that, but that's easily done enough just through other hardware requirements. I have a 2nd gen iPod touch kicking around as a knock-about email reader and believe me, I know the pain of scouring the store looking for anything that still has iOS 3.1 as a maximum requirement.

What I don't get is the compass requirement, since that completely eliminates specifically newer iPods. If it was just not wanting someone 1 starring you because their 4 year old device couldn't run it why not just require a forward facing camera or whatever other feature?

It's the strange specificity of the compass requirement that confuses me.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get that, but that's easily done enough just through other hardware requirements. I have a 2nd gen iPod touch kicking around as a knock-about email reader and believe me, I know the pain of scouring the store looking for anything that still has iOS 3.1 as a maximum requirement.

What I don't get is the compass requirement, since that completely eliminates specifically newer iPods. If it was just not wanting someone 1 starring you because their 4 year old device couldn't run it why not just require a forward facing camera or whatever other feature?

That's the only way they can block iPod 4, since it can still run iOS 6.1.3. Both iPod 4 and 5 have forward and rear cameras. The only thing they don't have which an iPad and iPhone have is a compass, so that's what they block. It sucks.

I'd prefer they just put "DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS IF YOU HAVE AN IPOD 4TH GEN" in BOLD on the app and take the 1-stars from idiots (or if Apple just added the ability to block by device like you'd expect).

EDIT: vvvvv Nah, that's not why they have the compass requirement. The iPod Touch 4 has 256mb RAM (like the iPad 1) and would probably crash the hell out of Pacific Rim, while the iPod Touch 5 has the chip from the iPhone 4S/iPad 2 and 512mb RAM (plenty enough to run any modern game).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 25, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think because requiring the compass restricts the app to devices that support arm7, which has a lot more processing power. There might be other performance related reasons if you peruse Apple compatibility matrix:

http://developer.apple.com/library/...lityMatrix.html

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

JazzFlight posted:

I'd prefer they just put "DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS IF YOU HAVE AN IPOD 4TH GEN" in BOLD on the app and take the 1-stars from idiots (or if Apple just added the ability to block by device like you'd expect).

I would assume people don't actually read app notes, and probably don't even know what "4th gen" means. I'd rather avoid a string of 1-stars my app doesn't deserve, especially if apps were my job and livelihood, you know?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

People actually pay attention to app ratings on the store?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Psion posted:

I would assume people don't actually read app notes, and probably don't even know what "4th gen" means. I'd rather avoid a string of 1-stars my app doesn't deserve, especially if apps were my job and livelihood, you know?
There are a number of 1-star reviews on Pacific Rim who either downloaded the game on their computer or iPad who are complaining that they can't play the game on their iPod Touch 5, so I guess it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

EDIT: vvvvv That's ridiculous for Apple to take that stance when they leave their own devices behind almost every time they update to a new major iOS version.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 25, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I bet Apple's reasoning for not allowing apps to lock certain devices out is that they don't want to encourage developers to target certain platforms but on the other hand they'll easily let apps through that are completely broken on one device or another. They've really got to get their poo poo together if they're planning on further fragmenting their lineup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I bet Apple's reasoning for not allowing apps to lock certain devices out is that they don't want to encourage developers to target certain platforms but on the other hand they'll easily let apps through that are completely broken on one device or another. They've really got to get their poo poo together if they're planning on further fragmenting their lineup.

Especially given their habit of completely dismissing entire generations of still functioning hardware every time a new version of iOS comes out. I understand that early devices were extremely low power compared to what we have now, but they won't even let developers target older releases because they remove the build targets from updated Xcode releases.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

People actually pay attention to app ratings on the store?
Your app rating is critical for sales, yes. It's another of those "things no in here cares about but everyone else in the market does" things. When you're browsing the store and have no knowledge of review sites or whatever, the star rating is "it."

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I tend not to read reviews unless a game seems divisive or I'm on the fence, but I often look at the star ratings on games that don't get talked about a whole lot. Rather than try and hunt down recommendations, I often end up just looking at app store categories, which often end up showing older games in their themed game sections, like "space games." It's nice to be able to see what's at 2 stars and what's at 4, so I don't have to waste time loading the page only to find that it looks atrocious is crashy or something. The older games I encounter often tend not to have reviews, or the reviews that are around are three or four years old and buried deep.

On the device exclusion front, I remembered TWEWY having a big DOES NOT RUN ON IPOD TOUCH 4TH GEN banner in the description, and I remember seeing the touch 4 in the requirements section, but not getting it because it wouldn't run on one. Now I look, it specifies the touch 5. I don't know if I'm misremembering or whether that's changed, and since I've seen the issue with things working on the 4th gen before, whether they got an exception for being a high profile game or generating a lot of complaints or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I admit to being totally shallow and picking apps based on their icon.

8 bit looking icons are a huge draw for me because some corner of my brain associates that aesthetic with "better gameplay". Anime or boobs tell me to avoid due to the threat of an IAP wall.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Has anyone downloaded the update to Sid Meier's Ace Patrol? The description says it adds 50% more content . . . having gotten bored with the game within about two weeks of buying it, I'm hoping the new content is some really good poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We've released an update to Merchant to the Stars; this should fix the problems related to going through the Golem tutorial and clean up any leftover squire heroes.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Icon and ratings are the two most important things in getting downloads.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Lorini posted:

Have you played Bridgey Jones?

I'll check that out, thanks!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Icon and ratings are the two most important things in getting downloads.

I know my likelihood to buy an app increases with the number (or possibly amount) of breasts in an icon.

madgarden
Oct 16, 2012

~* Sword of Fargoal *~

xzzy posted:

I admit to being totally shallow and picking apps based on their icon.

8 bit looking icons are a huge draw for me because some corner of my brain associates that aesthetic with "better gameplay". Anime or boobs tell me to avoid due to the threat of an IAP wall.

Hey xzzy, check out my chunky icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pressing where the INSTALL APP label should be so hard but nothing's happening.

• Locked thread